Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

i don't get it is this like these buses > philly buses? (is that seattle?)

ak mak are also amazing loving crackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Chicken of the sea are smoked, cheap but ok, flavorful, somewhat weird texture.

Beach cliff are v fishy, weirder texture, wouldn't choose these again although they aren't bad

Brunswick are almost like fresh fish, not as flavorful plain as the smoked ones but by far higher quality and fantastic with horseradish/mustard etc

Would dad food again

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Christmas Miracle posted:

beach cliff in water are foul imo. bought and ate a can of king oscars because of this thread. it was great actually

I'm rocking some Mediterranean style King Oscars with hot sauce and horseradish right now. Oscar is definitely the best brand I've had. The tails are left on and they kinda weird me out a bit. I eat about half and remove the other half.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Any sardines/herring in a jjigae is really easy to do.

Basically throw some dried anchovy into ~3 cups of water, when the water turns a color and the anchovy is mostly dissolved, strain what anchovy detritus you can find out of the broth.

Proceed to add a cup of kimchi and a can of your favorite water-packed herring or sardines. (if using a rolly-top tin, do two of those. You can also use herring/sardine in tomato sauce, avoid oil packed stuff.)
Add gochujiang or chili paste/powder to taste. Chop some green onions or what have you and add those too, because it will take probably 5 minutes to make the herring tender at a simmer.

Yeah this is a good camping dish and it's really quick to make. It's easy to do if you break an esbit tablet in two, using one to boil the water and the other half to stoke the pot to a simmer (or even just keep it for morning).

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

FaradayCage posted:

I'm rocking some Mediterranean style King Oscars with hot sauce and horseradish right now. Oscar is definitely the best brand I've had. The tails are left on and they kinda weird me out a bit. I eat about half and remove the other half.

i just ate the tail which i agree was weird as gently caress but on the other hand they are so high quality compared to something like the beach cliff ones that i really didn't mind it. king oscars are a genuinely tasty food product. i also bought some king oscar kipper snacks and will return to the thread when i eat them.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

naem posted:

Brunswick are almost like fresh fish, not as flavorful plain as the smoked ones but by far higher quality and fantastic with horseradish/mustard etc

Yeah, Brunswick is great. I buy tons of 'em at a time. 80 cents a can at Target here in Ontario.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
A brown-people store near where I live sells frozen sardines. Can I just thaw them, fry it up and then eat it with some sort of sauce? What's the deal with bones in that situation? I might give the head to my cat to try to win her love.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

I had some sardines with toast for breakfast thanks to this thread. It was pretty good.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

king oscars is the premium brand, honestly go for king oscars or go home. every other brand just weirds me the gently caress out these days

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

By Special Royal Permission

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Haverchuck posted:

lol naem's retirement check just cleared and it's fuckin sardine time

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

naem posted:

Beach cliff are v fishy, weirder texture, wouldn't choose these again although they aren't bad

Would dad food again

Do sardines count as dad food now? God I'm old, first my recent love for ARMA (dad game) now sardines. How about sitting in your backyard and shooting tiny targets with an airgun, is that dad-ly?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Lunixnerd posted:

Do sardines count as dad food now? God I'm old, first my recent love for ARMA (dad game) now sardines. How about sitting in your backyard and shooting tiny targets with an airgun, is that dad-ly?

very dadly

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

THS posted:

king oscars is the premium brand, honestly go for king oscars or go home. every other brand just weirds me the gently caress out these days

Beach Cliff is noob fish bait, it's either Wild Planet or King Oscars for your good tiny fish eatin'.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have yet to find sprats anywhere "offline", it's a travesty.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

bollig posted:

A brown-people store near where I live sells frozen sardines. Can I just thaw them, fry it up and then eat it with some sort of sauce? What's the deal with bones in that situation? I might give the head to my cat to try to win her love.

My cat was like, "oh poo poo dude that smells wonderful" and started freaking out when I opened the tin of sardines. I cut a small piece off and gave it to her, and she just licked it and then lost interest. loving cats.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
In canned fish related news, months ago I bought canned octopus in ink sauce and I haven't manned up to opening it.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

bathroom sounds posted:

In canned fish related news, months ago I bought canned octopus in ink sauce and I haven't manned up to opening it.

please open it today and post a picture of it in this thread. but you don't have to eat it if you don't want to we're all canned fish eaters here

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
canned sardines are ok but with stuff like octopus and eel, once youve had them fresh theres no going back to canned

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Haverchuck posted:

canned sardines are ok but with stuff like octopus and eel, once youve had them fresh theres no going back to canned

canned eel is loving disgusting compared to real eel. i've never had canned octopus but i've never had a piece of fresh octopus i liked either.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

i've never had a piece of octopus i've liked, either; it feels like it takes a century to chew

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I love all kinds of shellfish, squid and octopus but I'm not a huge fan of real fish, unless it's smoked salmon or prepared as sashimi. I'll eat ten pounds of smoked salmon and tuna sashimi but as soon as it's cooked it's bleh as hell to me.

Feminition posted:

i've never had a piece of octopus i've liked, either; it feels like it takes a century to chew
Prepared fresh and properly, octopus shouldn't be very rubbery.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

every time i have eaten octopus i ask the people i am with if this is really how octopus is meant to be prepared because it's basically like a piece of salty fish rubber i mean it's not even remotely like food

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i've had octopus a few times, supposedly prepared well at good restaurants. it's just not that flavorful and the texture is really meh. i never sit down at a place and say "oh man i'm hungry gotta try their octopus"

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i've had really good squid before though, like twice

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

fresh sardines are best eaten grilled and with some nice and thick polenta

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010
fresh caught fish is generally ridiculously good. seriously, cooked <1 hour out of the water is a completely different experience.

eat the octopus.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

THS posted:

i've had octopus a few times, supposedly prepared well at good restaurants. it's just not that flavorful and the texture is really meh. i never sit down at a place and say "oh man i'm hungry gotta try their octopus"
There's a place in Toronto that serves an entire grilled octopus and it looks about as mouthwatering as a food can look to me:

$60.00 though ugh.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

bathroom sounds posted:

There's a place in Toronto that serves an entire grilled octopus and it looks about as mouthwatering as a food can look to me:

$60.00 though ugh.

Wanna eat those suckers

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

THS posted:

Octopodes are also super intelligent so if you'd eat octopus but balk at eating dolphin you're silly and wrong

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
If you eat an octopus you gain its intelligence

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

ashgromnies posted:

Octopodes are also super intelligent so if you'd eat octopus but balk at eating dolphin you're silly and wrong

Not very smart compared to any bird or mammal.

Octopuses have some interesting behaviors with regards to learning, pattern recognition and pack hunting, but they don't have the same kind of cognitive capabilities that land animals have.

Don't feel bad about eating octopus because of their intelligence. Octopus can be sustainably fished in the US and Europe, and the reason some octopus is marked as 'Avoid' by the Guide to sustainable seafood is that Asian fisheries are unregulated and have not been evaluated for sustainability and ecological impact.

Octopuses grow fast and don't live long, and produce large numbers of spawn. That makes them less susceptible towards overfishing compared to many common food fish.

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

Lunixnerd posted:

Wanna eat those suckers

I just introduced my coworkers to "The Louisiana Crawfish Boil". They were both amazed and terrified.

Now I gotta figure out where to get crawfish in this frozen hellscape.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

Not very smart compared to any bird or mammal.

Octopuses have some interesting behaviors with regards to learning, pattern recognition and pack hunting, but they don't have the same kind of cognitive capabilities that land animals have.

Seems a little spurious. An octopus can figure out how to open a screw-top jar to get at the contents. They can learn to hide and disguise themselves. They have a concept of what they are, as a living creature. There are humans that can't figure that out. Studies of octopus intelligence, and comparative intelligence in general, is nascent and I find it egotistical to make a strong claim that they're unintelligent comparatively, given the amount of research that's been done in the past few decades.

I would prefer to err on the side of caution and not eat potentially sentient creatures.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

ashgromnies posted:

There are humans that can't figure that out.

maybe we should eat those too??

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

ashgromnies posted:

Seems a little spurious. An octopus can figure out how to open a screw-top jar to get at the contents. They can learn to hide and disguise themselves. They have a concept of what they are, as a living creature. There are humans that can't figure that out. Studies of octopus intelligence, and comparative intelligence in general, is nascent and I find it egotistical to make a strong claim that they're unintelligent comparatively, given the amount of research that's been done in the past few decades.

I would prefer to err on the side of caution and not eat potentially sentient creatures.

Yeah but they're ridiculously tasty so... :shrug:

Also thanks to this thread I'm about to go eat some sardines.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ashgromnies posted:

You're so short sighted. See if we don't repress them and eat them now, we would be giving them the time and evolutionary niche to become the next dominate species upon this earth. You know where that will lead?

It's a brain eat brain world out there and we already took care of the god damned zombies.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Illithid tentacle is the ultimate delicacy.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

naem posted:

Would dad food again
I find the cheaper ones are usually more fishy tasting and the more expensive you go the closer you get to a generic "it tastes like chicken" protein taste. I usually don't mind the cheap brands (chicken of the sea, bumblebee and beach cliff, but if there's a sale on others I'll go for it too.

Current favorite thing is to get the bulk packs of herring/sardines/anchovies/etc via amazon subscribe and save. They keep forever so if you get enough to hit that 15% discount it's a solid way to get them cheap.

For the new sardine recruits in this thread I recommend baked sandwhiches. Put whatever you want on it but avocado is highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Avocado spread on crusty bread + vinegar dressed brislings or similar is pretty sweet, avocado goes great with fish

• Locked thread