Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Shroud posted:

One more spot open in Metal Bawkses if anyone's interested.

May I? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Sure thing!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The worst thing is setting up a bunch of boosts and then accidentally using them again the next round

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

The worst thing is setting up a bunch of boosts and then accidentally using them again the next round

It really is the worst. Beat a challenging team for like, 35 points. Then some other team shows up for an easy victory and 15 points and you just mash through your options then the match starts and "+100% DAMAGE BOOST, + 3 STOCKPILE" and you realize you're an idiot.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

HGH posted:

It really is the worst. Beat a challenging team for like, 35 points. Then some other team shows up for an easy victory and 15 points and you just mash through your options then the match starts and "+100% DAMAGE BOOST, + 3 STOCKPILE" and you realize you're an idiot.

What's up, boost-wasting bro?

In other news, going after teams that have an identical composition and a massive amount of HP is less fun than expected. This tournament is going to be a huge grind.

On the other hand, I'm currently 2 out of 2 successful defenses. :dance:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
If I manage to get the 300 point token I consider 1* tournaments a success.

Manage top 50 as well and its party time. :toot:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Largepotato posted:

If I manage to get the 300 point token I consider 1* tournaments a success.

Manage top 50 as well and its party time. :toot:

Daddy needs three new hood covers. This is going to suck with a 41 Ironman, 42 storm and 39 black widow but it's possible.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I'm going to try an unconventional 2/5 MBW with the theory that she will be able to steal AP faster than theirs can. It will probably just result in her dying in 3 turns on defense, more likely.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I'm going to try an unconventional 2/5 MBW with the theory that she will be able to steal AP faster than theirs can. It will probably just result in her dying in 3 turns on defense, more likely.

She will probably die in 3 turns on defense anyway as her max hitpoints are real low. Modern Black Widow has no skills that scale with levels though, so leaving her low level isn't too bad on offense.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Jesus, Dr. Doom is a beast in this event. I don't even need to use boosts in half of Hard Mode, and my Doom is only natively around level 45. Who are good characters to pair with him? I've swapped him in with my Thor/OBW/CStorm team, but other than OBW working well with everyone, nothing seems like an obvious match.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Bob Socko posted:

Jesus, Dr. Doom is a beast in this event. I don't even need to use boosts in half of Hard Mode, and my Doom is only natively around level 45. Who are good characters to pair with him? I've swapped him in with my Thor/OBW/CStorm team, but other than OBW working well with everyone, nothing seems like an obvious match.

You have blue, black and purple covered with Doom and OBW so Thor or Ares are not bad choices as they cover the other colours. Even if you don't shoot for red, green and yellow matches, you will still grab them from OBW stealing them so you will get to fire them off every now and then. Thor and Ares can also be used as tanks by matching thier colours just before you know you will get hit with a power. As Doom is your major hitter with his Demons, it doesn't matter if they die.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Socko posted:

Bring someone who makes strike tiles, like Daken, that way the demons will hit even harder. Daken/Thor/Doom is my team and it works pretty well.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Magneto Now works really well with Doom as well because you can place blue tiles next to black ones and then flip them to create black cascades. It kind of pushes out OBW though as it's another one of her colours used by someone else.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So I just tried out Bullseye in the event and I'm pretty sure I never took more than 1 damage from any single attack in at least 3 matches. It was really liberating after the hell that was some of these missions restricting characters.

EDIT: Aaaand the game just crashed on me mid mission for no reason.

HGH fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 24, 2014

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I don't like Daken/Doom because you can fill up all the reds with strike tiles and have nowhere to put the demons.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah Daken's a bad combo because he spams terrible strike tiles everywhere. Getting an AP generator in there would be great, i.e. Storm, BW or IM40, helping you get those demons up faster.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I've been doing Daken/Doom/Ares. I agree with the critique about no where yo put demons, but my Doom is pretty bad: level 25 with only 2 black covers. So Ares does the heavy lifting. I often have trouble generating enough black AP without Doom's blue anyways.

Its been working well though. Against lazy Thor and the two AP generators I can usually down him quickly. He only gets off two of his green strikes. Ares just pumps out so much damage. Daken just speeds up the process.

Of course all of this was from Midnight to about 3am (I work nights) so the difficulty was really low. I was able to clear all the missions at least once for a ton of iso-8.

Ares went from level 6 to 50 from this event alone :getin: :black101:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There is a fight against Patch and two mooks that is a hilarious damage race once Patch uses berseker rage. 1500 damage hits become the norm. That one is actually fun, unlike Thor's bullshit, which can only be consistently beaten with spider-man, to be honest (or if your team is buffed to all hell, I guess0.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

trucutru posted:

There is a fight against Patch and two mooks that is a hilarious damage race once Patch uses berseker rage. 1500 damage hits become the norm.

That mission is awesome and I wish there were more like it. Sacrifice someone to take the hit and subsequent tile match damage and then Espionage everyone to death with OBW.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
Has anyone figured out what the logic behind event encounter levels is? It seems to increase and decrease unpredictably throughout the day. Same question for rewards, which seem to generally decrease right up until they increase again. It confuses me :shobon:

(Also, looking for an alliance, ZorbaTHut, let me know if you've got a space for a total freeloader who doesn't even have enough hero points for hero slots)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

trucutru posted:

There is a fight against Patch and two mooks that is a hilarious damage race once Patch uses berseker rage. 1500 damage hits become the norm. That one is actually fun, unlike Thor's bullshit, which can only be consistently beaten with spider-man, to be honest (or if your team is buffed to all hell, I guess0.
I was beating Thor with Ares/OBW/65 Doom. His goons have like half the health he does, so just pound those guys and you eat one CTS at most.
(On the other hand Patch was ripping the same team to shreds with no effort because he kept using BR then immediately making a 2-4 purple strike tile match leaving me massively disadvantaged :argh:)

Also, I've been intentionally entering fights with Ares at low-health and it's quite effective. Start with ~2k/2.5k health and just match reds. By the time you get 10 you're below 25% life and your team attack is now doing double damage - depending on what's left everyone hides behind Doom to heal up, continues matching, or Ares drops a Sunder to get himself back to low life for the next match.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

I was beating Thor with Ares/OBW/65 Doom. His goons have like half the health he does, so just pound those guys and you eat one CTS at most.
(On the other hand Patch was ripping the same team to shreds with no effort because he kept using BR then immediately making a 2-4 purple strike tile match leaving me massively disadvantaged :argh:)

Also, I've been intentionally entering fights with Ares at low-health and it's quite effective. Start with ~2k/2.5k health and just match reds. By the time you get 10 you're below 25% life and your team attack is now doing double damage - depending on what's left everyone hides behind Doom to heal up, continues matching, or Ares drops a Sunder to get himself back to low life for the next match.

What level is the Thor you're facing? because the one I am facing would destroy that team (level 141) in turn 3-4. It's either kill him before he attacks or die.

Meh. I am just bitter about that stupid mission.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 25, 2014

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Holy crap. Whoever said Bullseye was crazy in this was right. Bullseye WRECKS the Wolverine-IM40-DD fight.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That last Thor I fought was ~130. His damage shouldn't scale up that sharply that another 10 or 20 levels woudl one-shot people, but I was gaming his CTS so that Doom would suck up the primary attack and the weaklings only got hit by the half-strength part.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm the kind of idiot who didn't even realise Doom was good until reading the thread. I'm in alliance GoonSquad, any of the other members posting here? Don't know how to see how active we are.

Edit: also how long have you been able to fight with injured characters because I have been medkiting every time some has been injured for the 50 days I've been playing :downs:

Bacon Terrorist fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 25, 2014

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Lofty132 posted:

I'm the kind of idiot who didn't even realise Doom was good until reading the thread. I'm in alliance GoonSquad, any of the other members posting here? Don't know how to see how active we are.

Edit: also how long have you been able to fight with injured characters because I have been medkiting every time some has been injured for the 50 days I've been playing :downs:

Get thee an original Black Widow with blues or a Spider-Man with yellows and you won't even use medkits anymore except for the most dire situations or a down-to-the-wire tournament.

Unrelated anecdote: I tried to get my wife off of Candy Crush with MPQ but she has no desire to learn its strategies and less desire for head to head competition. :(

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Now all I need is a way to stop it eating all my phone battery.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ghostlight posted:

That last Thor I fought was ~130. His damage shouldn't scale up that sharply that another 10 or 20 levels woudl one-shot people, but I was gaming his CTS so that Doom would suck up the primary attack and the weaklings only got hit by the half-strength part.

Hmmnn... I'm fighting level 70-75 in hard mode. Does the level of the enemies scale depending on the bracket you're in?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Auritech posted:

Get thee an original Black Widow with blues or a Spider-Man with yellows and you won't even use medkits anymore except for the most dire situations or a down-to-the-wire tournament.

OBW is amazing. She has 3 awesome skills and works well with almost any team, she seems to drop from tokens fairly regularly too. Spider Man is annoyingly hard to get unless you count bloody bag man.

I really think this game would benefit from a couple more characters with team heals though. Almost every PvP fight has either Spider Man or OBW. A few more options to mix things up would be nice.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
I added two extra spaces to my alliance 'Hired Goons' so get in for a 7-person alliance :P

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I just did the +3all/+3blue&purple with C. storm and MagNOW and just stunlocked Thor to death. I wasn't going to screw with that poo poo.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.
Huh, this might be a dumb gem matching game, but I did just have a pretty epic battle.

Went to the hard Simulator match against Daken, Cap and CStorm with Doom, Wolverine and old Thor. After a bunch of green cascades the board was shat full of Daken's strike tiles, which wiped out Wolverine pretty quickly. I got their CStorm shortly afterwards. Daken and Thor pretty much wiped each other out, so it became a showdown between Cap and Doom.

I had gotten a few demon tiles out, but at some point Cap completely stunlocked me. I couldn't do anything but watch for 15-20 turns as his attacks whittled down my Doom and Doom's strike tiles took hits at the Cap.

It truly went down to the wire. As the battle was about to finish, my level ~110 Doom had 1 hp, their 80something Cap had 4. And since I was stunlocked, they got to deal the killing blow first.

Gutted to lose, but it was incredibly :black101:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It looks like they're taking particular care to making sure the players aren't able to cheese desert stages with M. Storm this go-around.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It looks like they're taking particular care to making sure the players aren't able to cheese desert stages with M. Storm this go-around.

Gotta do what you gotta do.

This is probably the best PVE event they've had.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm getting excited that at my current trajectory I might win a new cap cover. It's going to suck isn't it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Since he's a "gold" version of the existing Cap (same skills, bigger level limit), he should be decently solid, though it'll probably be a while (without spending money) before you can kit him out to surpass the 2 star version. Plus, he'll probably be an essential character for the next PVE event or two, so having even one cover will be useful.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lofty132 posted:

I'm getting excited that at my current trajectory I might win a new cap cover. It's going to suck isn't it.

The point of getting the cover is not the character itself but that, without them, you get locked out of a shitload of missions in the next events. I don't give a crap about the new Cap but I'll definitely grab a few covers.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
For the lone star tournament, Juggernaut is too good on offense if you can heal him up between fights. His only downside is not being able to tank with a level 50 storm. I am working on getting IM to level 50, and he's currently level 40. While using yellow AP would be nice, being able to dish out 1100 damage for 6 red is amazing.

Not bad for defense either. I've had quite a few defensive victories.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

gromdul posted:

For the lone star tournament, Juggernaut is too good on offense if you can heal him up between fights. His only downside is not being able to tank with a level 50 storm. I am working on getting IM to level 50, and he's currently level 40. While using yellow AP would be nice, being able to dish out 1100 damage for 6 red is amazing.

I'm having good luck with my underleveled (15ish) Venom instead of Modern Black Widow. A quick stun for 4 purple is nice compared to the eons is takes to get her blue or purple going, and Iron Man's blue is also a good fallback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

gromdul posted:

The best team has to be Ironman/Juggs/Venom. It covers all colors and all of them have dangerous abilities and enough HP to be good on defense. Storm is really powerful, specially on the jungle, but she can be sniped by juggs quite easily.