Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Ok, back on topic.

Fun Megaman trivia: Shadow Man is actually not created by Wily, Dr. Light, or Cain. Nor was he part of the space robots from some of the other series.

No one knows who made him.

Uh, duh? Professor Robotnik. See the well-documented Archie Comics crossover for information.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like it's hard to evaluate the difficulty of Mega Man 1 stages well because a lot of them are just not that well designed, janky, kinda buggy, and mega man doesn't stop on a dime in that game. But by the same token, it's probably one of the easiest games in the series to exploit and glitch.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Crash Man's stage. I want to say it's impossible to dodge the Pipis when you're on the ladder, but I think Violen did it in an LP thread a while back.

Actually, anything with those wiggly guys made of barrels that fall apart at you when you shoot them.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I'd say Jewelman's stage, but that's just because it took me forever to get past it. The only way I was actually able to beat it was to play Galaxyman's stage over and over until I had enough screws to buy one of those things that stops you dying instantly on instant death spikes. Tornadoman's stage gave me trouble as well, but past that none of the other MM9 stages really stand out in my memory as being particularly difficult. It's been a long time since I played it though, so can't really say for certain.

Quickman's stage isn't that hard once you've memorised how to avoid the lasers. It's the robot himself who's a bugger to fight. :saddowns:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, pretty much. I still have trouble killing quickman with the buster. Also I'm really surprised people think shadowman is tough, I had more trouble with needleman and gemini even.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Shadow Man is hard because he doesn't have a tell for his attacks. He'll either slide into you or throw the stars, but you don't know until he starts doing either, and then you only have a split second to react if he does the slide.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Mister Roboto posted:

Ok, back on topic.

Fun Megaman trivia: Shadow Man is actually not created by Wily, Dr. Light, or Cain. Nor was he part of the space robots from some of the other series.

No one knows who made him.

Did Dr.Cain build any of the robot masters from the classic series ? I thought he was just that guy that rummaged through the junkyard and found X

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

skipThings posted:

Did Dr.Cain build any of the robot masters from the classic series ? I thought he was just that guy that rummaged through the junkyard and found X

He reverse-engineered X to create Reploids in the first place, so I guess that counts.

I think he may be personally responsible for building Sigma too, but don't quote me on that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/21/keiji-inafune-still-like-make-mega-man-legends-3/

I love this man. I don't care what stupid decisions he's made.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

quote:

Let’s say that, if we have all seven Dragon Balls right here, right now, and Shen Long comes up and says, ‘What’s your wish?’ My wish would be, give me all the right tools, people, and environment to create Legends 3.

The man just wants to make games we'll enjoy. Maybe when Capcom dies he can get the IP back. We can only dream...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Keiji Inafune hasn't really said or done anything wrong, he just wanted Japanese game development to wake up and realize that they were being mostly left behind by a world that was advancing without them.

He wanted them to look outward and stop obsessing over their own navel lint, which is just perfectly reasonable.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Granted he was a bit responsible for some western blunders, like dMc, but hell he gave us Dead Rising. So say it still outweighs the bad from the good. I still remember how butthurt people got when he criticized the japanese video game industry but he's right. They have to change their business practices. The whole loyalty just ends up biting them in the rear end in the long run.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

God drat the Archie Comic series continues to be great, you guys.

I'm glad there's still some Mega Man media coming out. I'm not really surprised that Inafune's put another Zero/Proto man style character in there, but he looks distinct nonetheless.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Crash Man's stage. I want to say it's impossible to dodge the Pipis when you're on the ladder, but I think Violen did it in an LP thread a while back.

If you hit jump on the ladder Megaman will fall until you hit up, aside from using items to go up faster that's the only dodging you can do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Keiji Inafune hasn't really said or done anything wrong, he just wanted Japanese game development to wake up and realize that they were being mostly left behind by a world that was advancing without them.

He wanted them to look outward and stop obsessing over their own navel lint, which is just perfectly reasonable.

Yes he has.

Inafune has made good games but he's done a lot wrong too. He was directly responsible for and spearheaded Capcom's 'give it to western developers (any western developers)" stuff that gave us games like DmC and Lost Planet 3. For all that he says regrets Mega Man Legends 3, he left Capcom and then tried to get them to hire his new company to make Mega Man Legends 3. He has a lot of narrowminded and short-sighted views and even his comments about Japanese game development were more that he believes Western developers were better at programming but that Japanese developers were better at ideas. (He said his ideal was a Japanese oversight of a Western studio.) Unlike, say, Igarashi, he was in a position of power at Capcom.

I firmly believe that he is happier just making games than being a serious higher up but he's not this poor neglected saint who just wants to make good games. He's still very much a Japanese game exec. I think the best thing for him was to get back to just making games because he's got a much better head for that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 24, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

God drat the Archie Comic series continues to be great, you guys.

I'm glad there's still some Mega Man media coming out. I'm not really surprised that Inafune's put another Zero/Proto man style character in there, but he looks distinct nonetheless.

I don't think inafune has anything to do with the comic, but did you just refer to breakman as protoman like? I guess that disguise is better than I thought :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

Inafune has made good games but he's done a lot wrong too. He was directly responsible for and spearheaded Capcom's 'give it to western developers (any western developers)" stuff that gave us games like DmC and Lost Planet 3.

He's responsible for Ninja Gaiden Z, too, so it's not even limited to Capcom anymore.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

senae posted:

I don't think inafune has anything to do with the comic, but did you just refer to breakman as protoman like? I guess that disguise is better than I thought :v:

I was talking about Mighty No. 7, sorry I should have been clearer.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
On the subject of Megaman comics. Is that Megamix comic any good? I saw that fan animation someone posted of it earlier and it looks pretty cool. Thinking about checking it out.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

RaspberryCommie posted:

On the subject of Megaman comics. Is that Megamix comic any good? I saw that fan animation someone posted of it earlier and it looks pretty cool. Thinking about checking it out.

It's very, very good. It's actually split into two series, Megamix and Gigamix, both are 3 volumes each. Ariga does a lot of cool stuff with fleshing out the world and characters, and the Stardroids storyline in Gigamix is especially fantastic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

He's responsible for Ninja Gaiden Z, too, so it's not even limited to Capcom anymore.

Oh christ, that's right, he was responsible for that shitpile too.

Just stay doing Mega Man, Inafune. You're good at that. :smith:

A shame Beck's first appearance is going to be in such a crap game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

What's so crap about it? It looks kinda fun.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I'd tell you to see for yourself, but that would be cruel.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Basically, it's the DmC design philosophy attached to Ninja Gaiden, but somehow even more tactless and wannabe-offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BuVfeDhQHI

Seriously, a better question to ask would be what doesn't look crap about it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, now we'll never have to wonder what Metal Gear Rising would look like if Troma wrote it.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

DiscoMouse posted:

I'd tell you to see for yourself, but that would be cruel.

Looks okay so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acQj71oGAB8

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I think we have our wires crossed, I don't have much of an opinion on MN9 yet, Yaiba however is the worst 4 hours (yes it is that short) of game I have subjected myself to in a while.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Toady posted:

Looks okay so far.

He's talking about Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, not MN9. Yaiba just looks awful.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Well, now we'll never have to wonder what Metal Gear Rising would look like if Troma wrote it.

I'd be more interested in seeing David DeCoteau's take on it. :heysexy: (Even if that would basically be the Raiden/Vamp fights from MGS4)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

He's talking about Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, not MN9.

Whoops. Sorry.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

S-Alpha posted:

Basically, it's the DmC design philosophy attached to Ninja Gaiden, but somehow even more tactless and wannabe-offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BuVfeDhQHI

Seriously, a better question to ask would be what doesn't look crap about it.

The art style, the platforming and the spectacle of it. But, eh, I guess I'll just take your word for it while agreeing that the dialogue's bad.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

YourAverageJoe posted:

The art style, the platforming and the spectacle of it. But, eh, I guess I'll just take your word for it while agreeing that the dialogue's bad.

The art style is garbage. When the combos start going it's a huge cluttered mess of particle effects and one thing I really like having in Character Action games is the ability to see my character and what they're doing/the immediate threats to them at any point in time.

And the spectacle of it all is the visual side of that garbage writing and is bad for basically the same reasons: It's juvenile, trying its best to be shocking and cool, and it thinks it's succeeding a lot more than it actually is.

Like most Ninja Theory Games, actually.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Seriously, you will lose sight of your character in any fight containing more that five enemies (all of them). It really worries me that Inafune signed off on this, it's hot garbage in pretty much every way that matters to a game.

Edit: and you may as well forget about any "platforming", as its all canned QTEs. You can't even jump in normal gameplay.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I really hope the game ends with you getting gutted by the actual star of the Ninja Gaiden games as a meditation on the life and times of a stage 4 mid-boss.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
If only the game had this much self awareness. Actually, Ryu gives you the badguy's secret docs because he "sees good in your heart" and then you destroy them for laughs and go and do your own thing for the final mission. It wouldn't be hard to excise literally every connection this game has to Ninja Gaiden, which makes me suspect it didn't start out life as one. The earliest teasers make no mention of NG (but Keiji's name is plastered prominently on them, so he definitely gets the most blame for this turd).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The art style is garbage. When the combos start going it's a huge cluttered mess of particle effects and one thing I really like having in Character Action games is the ability to see my character and what they're doing/the immediate threats to them at any point in time.

And the spectacle of it all is the visual side of that garbage writing and is bad for basically the same reasons: It's juvenile, trying its best to be shocking and cool, and it thinks it's succeeding a lot more than it actually is.

Like most Ninja Theory Games, actually.
TAKE A SUCK...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

IronicDongz posted:

TAKE A SUCK...

Also this. What does this line even mean. Even in context it makes no loving sense. Why not just say SUCK MY DICK. At least that is a terrible line that makes sense.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Panic Restaurant posted:

It's very, very good. It's actually split into two series, Megamix and Gigamix, both are 3 volumes each. Ariga does a lot of cool stuff with fleshing out the world and characters, and the Stardroids storyline in Gigamix is especially fantastic.

Seconded. As someone who absolutely loves the robot masters, it was great seeing them fleshed out and given more personality. The stories are just overall a lot of fun, and have a good mix of humour and more serious topics (like the Skullman chapter, oh man).

My only gripe is that the MM8 masters only appear at the end of the 3rd volume of Gigamix. I want to see Inafune's take on Searchman, he's my favourite robot master. :(

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also this. What does this line even mean. Even in context it makes no loving sense. Why not just say SUCK MY DICK. At least that is a terrible line that makes sense.

Makes me think of old classics like WELCOME TO DIE.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
Remember when Dr. Wily's Revenge was released on the 3DS VC back in September 15, 2011? Well, Capcom is holding a vote for the next game to be released. (Maybe.)

Mega Man V is winning, with the Xtreme games a close 2nd and 3rd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
So is it like really expensive and/or difficult (to program) for developers to put their games up on VC, or is this just their twisted idea of fan participation?