Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Korak posted:

New sideboarding strategy is to get only your sideboard cards signed by the artist.

This is a rather elegant solution and I dig it. Anyone know the rules on signed cards though? Does the signature have to be legit or can I put one on all my sideboard cards myself? I am the worlds cheapest Scotsman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

PleasantDirge posted:

This is a rather elegant solution and I dig it. Anyone know the rules on signed cards though? Does the signature have to be legit or can I put one on all my sideboard cards myself? I am the worlds cheapest Scotsman.

As long as it's not gameplay notes/strategy advice written on them, it should be fine.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Brownhat posted:

As long as it's not gameplay notes/strategy advice written on them, it should be fine.

If I'm an artist and my signature is "Mulligan to 5 if this card is in hand" does that mean that nobody can play with cards signed by me?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
It is actually legal to have short bits of strategy advice written on your cards.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

PleasantDirge posted:

:scotland: do me proud.

(I may do this too, I'm terrible for not sideboarding/desideboarding properly becuase I don't normally play formats that it's relevant, and my LGS drafts are open on what and when you can change things.)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

As long as you're sure to only mark the faces of your cards/sleeves, then it's fine. If all your cards are identical when stacked up, they're not "marked" as per the rules.

"Substantial strategic advice" isn't allowed, either, but that's not under "Marked Cards" in the IPG, and "This card was in your sideboard" is hardly substantial advice.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

The only reason I don't mark sideboard cards is because your opponent can figure out the pattern and identify what you brought in. It's not terribly dangerous but it's not information I want to give away for free.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Got second place at FNM running Jund Dredge, that deck is really fun to play. Also, saw an alter done by one of the shop rats that I thought you guys would love.

jhorphear fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 24, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jhorphear posted:

Got second place at FNM running Jund Dredge, that deck is really fun to play. Also, saw an alter done by one of the shop rats that I thought you guys would love.

Would you mind having some consideration for us who post from work during lunch break and like, spoiler that with NWS tags?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
That must be a family friendly atmosphere at your shop.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Zoness posted:

Would you mind having some consideration for us who post from work during lunch break and like, spoiler that with NWS tags?

Yeah I had to quickly scroll down. Also that's a stupid alter.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Dr. Clockwork posted:

That must be a family friendly atmosphere at your shop.

Yeah as much as stuff like the Land Tax alter people post every so often makes me giggle I would never bring that out unless I knew everybody would laugh at it. Definitely not in a shop.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Zoness posted:

Link, not spoiler. It still gets dumped in your cache when it's spoilered.

e: Unrelated, went 1-2-0 at FNM with Rakdos Aggro. My one win was against a white-weenie deck that got thoroughly facepunched through two Banisher Priests game one and completely mana-flooded game two. First loss was against RG Monsters with a black splah of removal, second was against a UW Control deck that might as well have been a pile of $20 bills. Every game lost had my opponent below 4 life by turn 4, when they managed to get decent blockers out or my draws just petered out into nothing effective. Both UW games had my opponent starting turn 4 with 2 life and no creatures, so maybe I need to maindeck Mogis instead of the Shred-Freaks.

redstormpopcorn fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 24, 2014

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

What a Judas posted:

The only reason I don't mark sideboard cards is because your opponent can figure out the pattern and identify what you brought in. It's not terribly dangerous but it's not information I want to give away for free.

Have you seen the little stamps they use to mark sealed deck cards at ptq's/GP'S? I was thinking that might be a good way to mark SB cards if a signature is too obvious.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Food Chain up $10 from last night making it around $15. Several other staples of the Food Chain combo deck are up today as well. To the guy saying people aren't crazy with speculations in Legacy, well I think this is yet another nail in the coffin that there are just enough people hoping to flip a $5 card for $15 to push it in less than 12 hours.

It isn't as bad as Modern but its still very dumb.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

What a Judas posted:

Yeah I had to quickly scroll down. Also that's a stupid alter.

It doesn't even fit in the box!

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

I'm sorry about that. I pulled the image.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Attorney at Funk posted:

It doesn't even fit in the box!

Step 1... :v:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Zero_Grade posted:

Of course, Dark Depths shot up a bunch recently (after it won something), and Imperial Recruiter just doubled after Painter placed highly a week or two ago.

Which sucks, because I wanted to build Painter and had delayed buying the cheaper judge foil Recruiters. :sigh:

Dark Depths shot up because the way it worked was fundamentally changed last summer from "casual jank" to "2 card kill condition"

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ancient Tomb doubled in price over night too. :lol:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

jhorphear posted:

I'm sorry about that. I pulled the image.

Don't pull it! Just link it with a nsfw tag like a big person. That alter is funny, but only at the right time/place. FNM or any public tourney is so not that time/place.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

A big flaming stink posted:

Dark Depths shot up because the way it worked was fundamentally changed last summer from "casual jank" to "2 card kill condition"

You mean it changed from 2 card kill condition to "a better 2 card kill condition". Sure, vampire hexmage is not as impressive as just needing another land, but it's still a viable combo piece with Dark Depths.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Jenx posted:

You mean it changed from 2 card kill condition to "a better 2 card kill condition". Sure, vampire hexmage is not as impressive as just needing another land, but it's still a viable combo piece with Dark Depths.
I think most people dropped hexmage out of the deck. It is still possibly worth running just for redundancy and the ability to kill a planeswalker for cheap when that occasionally comes up.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Jenx posted:

Not needing to produce black and therefore not having to run Urborg is also a pretty signifcant boon.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ok, lets see if this works, here is that altered image card I mentioned earlier

:nws:http://imgur.com/vvC2Vpd.jpg:nws:

jhorphear fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 24, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

jhorphear posted:

edit: im stupid, how do I post this as nsfw?

:nws: some URL here :nws:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Speaking of card speculation, any idea why Thalia doubled in price recently? Not that it's horribly expensive now but I traded three away right as it was going up :(

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of card speculation, any idea why Thalia doubled in price recently? Not that it's horribly expensive now but I traded three away right as it was going up :(

Because demand increased while supply remained constant. :eng101:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

C-Euro posted:

My guess would be that its because Death and Taxes has had a resurgence in popularity as a legacy deck. I personally have no desire to play a legacy deck without brainstorm (well except that sweet mono-blue martyr brew) but a lot of people like the deck.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

jhorphear posted:

Really should have changed the name to Sphinx Bone-Wand.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Toshimo posted:

Because demand increased while supply remained constant. :eng101:
drat you, Invisible Hand!:arghfist::reject:

Also, I don't think the price fluctuations are "speculators" as much as it is people who have literally the worst spending habit possible with these types of commodities.

"Oh, Thing X is getting really expensive! Now is the time to buy in so I'm not left behind"
"Oh, Thing X has really dropped off in price now. At least I bought them before they got super-expensive!"

Unless you're that poor dip who did buy in at the peak price, in which case learning a bit of delayed satisfaction might help your wallet a bit.

Kinochen
Nov 2, 2007
So I went to a local GPT to get some byes for Philadelphia. I ended up winning with an insane sealed pool featuring Polukranos, Foil Courser, Fleecemane Lion, and an extremely agressive GW curve. Draft went better than I expected, and I have a new favorite limited card in Scholar of Athreos. After setting aside some of my packs from drafting I opened the remaining four. First pack had Temple of Malice, second pack was Courser of Kruphix, third pack had Brimaz, and my last pack had Kiora and Foil Kiora. All in all glad I decided to drive up and try and get my byes.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Could...you open all my packs for me?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Thalia was real cheap for a while, it was nice being able to pick them up as throw-ins or little additions because there was no way she was gonna be $2-3 forever. A 2-drop creature that can brawl, has a valuable effect, and is tough to reprint? Yeah, I was hunting those down all day.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

jhorphear posted:

omg so funny XD

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zero_Grade posted:

Thalia was real cheap for a while, it was nice being able to pick them up as throw-ins or little additions because there was no way she was gonna be $2-3 forever. A 2-drop creature that can brawl, has a valuable effect, and is tough to reprint? Yeah, I was hunting those down all day.
I keep seeing people say she's tough to reprint but outside of theme I don't see why she won't get reprinted in the next 5 years? She's a solid hatebear for Standard that isn't incredibly oppressive but does nice things for a sorcery/instant heavier set as a way of giving players a way of fighting it in a fair way. They can always reprint the rules text with a different body.

vvv Doesn't feel good to me to restrict it like that but it makes sense from WotC's perspective. Thanks.

Korak fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 24, 2014

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Korak posted:

I keep seeing people say she's tough to reprint but outside of theme I don't see why she won't get reprinted in the next 5 years? She's a solid hatebear for Standard that isn't incredibly oppressive but does nice things for a sorcery/instant heavier set as a way of giving players a way of fighting it in a fair way. They can always reprint the rules text with a different body.
WotC doesn't really like reprinting legendary creatures. I can only think of a handful of times they've done it, and most of those times have been in Timespiral.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I started the day with 21 Food Chains.

I now have 1. I think I'll hold onto that one.

Today was a good day.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Toshimo posted:

I started the day with 21 Food Chains.

I now have 1. I think I'll hold onto that one.

Today was a good day.
You siiiick bastard. Hows it feel to be $200+ richer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Froghammer posted:

WotC doesn't really like reprinting legendary creatures. I can only think of a handful of times they've done it, and most of those times have been in Timespiral.

Nothing stopping them from reprinting Thalia in supplementary products, where they do put in legendary cards, or the inevitable Modern Masters 2.

• Locked thread