Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Robviously posted:

Well, there's that then.

Don't most of the Stand/naming issues come for part 4 on? I could see them just dropping the dub after part 3 instead of dealing with that kind of hassle.

Not really, before stand names were bands and musicians the characters were. Like Enya, J. Giel, Rubber Soul and oh yeah DIO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Also Polnareff (now Eiffel).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
String Girl! I choose you.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
If anything, they could've at least tried something creative with the Stand names like giving the Part 5 Stands Italian names. "Sei Pistole" and "Dita Adesivo" would at least be better than "Bullets" and "Zipper Man".

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Your way works too posted:

Not really, before stand names were bands and musicians the characters were. Like Enya, J. Giel, Rubber Soul and oh yeah DIO.

But they're not actually doing anything with DIO since he's just dropping his last name. I guess I'm just not familiar enough as to what would end up constituting a name that needed to be changed. I can't imagine any of these bands going "Yup, people are gonna mistake us for neon-pastel animated characters."

Edit: Aeroplano or Aereo would work too, Sabato Nero, Esperienza d'Oro, etc.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 24, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Robviously posted:

Well, there's that then.

Don't most of the Stand/naming issues come for part 4 on? I could see them just dropping the dub after part 3 instead of dealing with that kind of hassle.

R.E.O. Speedwagon. Cars, Wham, ACDC. Polnareff. It's pretty hosed the whole way through.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Robviously posted:

Edit: Aeroplano or Aereo would work too, Sabato Nero, Esperienza d'Oro, etc.
Heh, good ones. I'm putting together a list of names myself. I currently have King Crimson as "Sovrano Rosso" and Aerosmith as "Aviatore"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kurtofan posted:

Also Polnareff (now Eiffel).

You can at least say that Eiffel is a reference to Eiffel 65.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Found at random.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEprhLmM2-k&t=34s

JOJO

Also, this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJwlT2BnS7Q

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 24, 2014

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Perigryn posted:

Heh, good ones. I'm putting together a list of names myself. I currently have King Crimson as "Sovrano Rosso" and Aerosmith as "Aviatore"

Sovrano seems a little beleaguered when Re Rosso works just as well and with alliteration!

hoobajoo posted:

R.E.O. Speedwagon. Cars, Wham, ACDC. Polnareff. It's pretty hosed the whole way through.

The only one that's really changing is Polnareff, unless I just missed out on something. Cars, Wham, and ACDC are just gonna be spelled the way they're pronounced in Japan and Speedwagon is going to be Speedwagoning coolly.

I dunno, I get why it's being done but I still find it somewhat dumb.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Robviously posted:

Sovrano seems a little beleaguered when Re Rosso works just as well and with alliteration!
It does sound better. I guess I'm just trying to see what rolls off the tongue easier. I think I managed to make a pun out of Moody Blues with 'CineDepresso'

The Stone Ocean Stand renaming will be tough since I originally planned on using prison slang as the basis for most of them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Practically every character prior to Part 4 is named after a musical artist, group, song, etc. It's a crapshoot all the way through the whole series. Like I think Nukesaku might be one of the few characters pre-Part 4 that a not musically inspired and if we're not counting continuous theme naming, the JoJos.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Practically every character prior to Part 4 is named after a musical artist, group, song, etc. It's a crapshoot all the way through the whole series. Like I think Nukesaku might be one of the few characters pre-Part 4 that a not musically inspired and if we're not counting continuous theme naming, the JoJos.

The nickname Jojo is a reference to the Beatles song Get Back SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

The nickname Jojo is a reference to the Beatles song Get Back SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Yeah, that's kinda why I said "If we're not counting continuous theme naming."

EDIT:

hoobajoo posted:

Yeah, it is really odd some names aren't considered risks. I assume Namco looked first at what musicians they thought might be a lawsuit risk, rather than which names were the closest, and the changes are based on that. I don't know how necessary this is; I mean, Guilty Gear has never been sued over overt nods to artists. And they have a character called Axl Rose.

His last name's actually Low, but the nod is very obvious and there's like a multitude of other names for characters that are just straight up references to music.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 24, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Robviously posted:

The only one that's really changing is Polnareff, unless I just missed out on something. Cars, Wham, and ACDC are just gonna be spelled the way they're pronounced in Japan and Speedwagon is going to be Speedwagoning coolly.

I dunno, I get why it's being done but I still find it somewhat dumb.

Yeah, it is really odd some names aren't considered risks. I assume Namco looked first at what musicians they thought might be a lawsuit risk, rather than which names were the closest, and the changes are based on that. I don't know how necessary this is; I mean, Guilty Gear has never been sued over overt nods to artists. And they have a character called Axl Rose.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I think Namco is expecting this to be a niche title that they're already going to make a small profit on in the west. I doubt they would want to have to get into lawsuit over any song name and completely eliminate whatever profits they're making.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They're gonna be sad when they rename King Crimson "Red Man."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Kabanaw posted:

I think Namco is expecting this to be a niche title that they're already going to make a small profit on in the west. I doubt they would want to have to get into lawsuit over any song name and completely eliminate whatever profits they're making.

To be fair, they probably don't expect anyone who's not a Jojo's fan to get this anyway, so they might as well just change the names to whatever since we'll know what they're supposed to be anyway.

I'm just waiting for the glorious return of "Iced". :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pomp posted:

Don't forget Okuyasu's Stand "The Foot."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

Don't forget Okuyasu's Stand "The Foot."

What, and get them sued by whoever owns Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? It's "Hole In The Middle" now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Guys, it'll be "The Stand"

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Why are they even renaming stands for a video game? Doesn't the use fall under parody?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

swamp izzo posted:

Why are they even renaming stands for a video game? Doesn't the use fall under parody?

That's not how parody works. It also doesn't help that the modern music industry is litigious as gently caress and any song name that A) was written by an artist contracted by a major label and B) wasn't explicitly given permission for use is as likely as not to trigger a lawsuit in some label's desperate bid to get a settlement from a large corporation like Namco.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

swamp izzo posted:

References aren't the same as parody. I'm not sure whether a musician who sued would actually have a leg to stand on legally, but they would prefer to not have to fight it out in court.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

References aren't the same as parody. I'm not sure whether a musician who sued would actually have a leg to stand on legally, but they would prefer to not have to fight it out in court.

It's a for-profit work so it almost certainly falls under copyright infringement.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

How do tv shows get away with referencing things most of the time?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Aurora posted:

Most TV shows don't make references as blatant as one of the major recurring villains being named AC/DC.

Like, imagine if the biggest threat to the rebels in Star Wars was a dude named Paul Lennon and they had to get the plans for the secret weakness of the Empire's deadly battle station, the Glass Onion. Lucas would have gotten sued the gently caress out of over that and every character in JoJo presents the same problem

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

Most TV shows don't make references as blatant as one of the major recurring villains being named AC/DC.

Like, imagine if the biggest threat to the rebels in Star Wars was a dude named Paul Lennon and they had to get the plans for the secret weakness of the Empire's deadly battle station, the Glass Onion. Lucas would have gotten sued the gently caress out of over that and every character in JoJo presents the same problem

Yeah, but then Star Wars would have been AMAZING.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Most series do their references in a more Roundabout way.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Aurora posted:

You can get away with having someone comment that they're listening to Prince, maybe. Or a reference to Prince. It's another thing to have a character named after a Prince song or after Prince himself, because it can be treated as an attempt to capitalize on his established media or person.

They get away with it a lot more in Japan due to differing legal practices and the fact that the majority of these artists and their lawyers will either never hear about the infringement or not give a poo poo because it's something half a world a way.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Several lawyers have done their research and found out the name thing could only really have a point in court if it was using someone's name as a character since that could cause "negligent identity confusion". So the Polnareff name change is probably for that reason exactly since there's already a real French guy named Polnareff who is a big deal. Some of the other names could probably get away with it but the fact of the matter is the mere threat of a lawsuit scares people (rightfully) so they don't take that many chances.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Ironically Polnareff is one of the cases where they could conceivably get away with it, since it's a real name rather than a stage name and the Polnareff in JJBA looks nothing like Michael Polnareff.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
His name's also been Polnareff in the west for over a decade now, so yeah.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This one guy is really insistent on making her docile, like a winter catfish.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pomp posted:

This one guy is really insistent on making her docile, like a winter catfish.

That running gag is one of the best parts of late SBR.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

mr. stefan posted:

Ironically Polnareff is one of the cases where they could conceivably get away with it, since it's a real name rather than a stage name and the Polnareff in JJBA looks nothing like Michael Polnareff.

It's not so much that he has to look like him as much as he could get mixed up with him. Like if someone said "I really like Polnareff" and meant the musician but his friend misinterpreted that as saying he really liked the character from this series.

tl;dr laws are dumb

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Honestly, the worst name change out of all of them is Fisher Man. At least Zipper Man is man-shaped.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Pomp posted:

Too bad, so sad.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pomp posted:

You mean Sultan Scarlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If they change King Crimson to Yeezy I will buy like 5 copies.

• Locked thread