Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Begemot posted:

It's kind funny how the series has a sort of One Piece thing going on where some people are just huge for no apparent reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Another 3 chapters of Kingdom have been released, ending at 349.

:horse: + :black101:, Shin's horse looked like a drat pony charging an elephant. Also is Shin going to try to parry his attack and try to deflect it towards the ground if he can't dodge it or take it? That's a cruel chapter to end a batch of translations on.

e: Actually now I'm wondering if Duke Hyou's shield fell off the horse and he's going to feint a blow and grab it to block the first attack before making his own strike.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 23, 2014

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
You can always count on Kingdom to bring the thunder :black101:

And yeah, I hope Houken dies soon after taking another or two more debilitating injuries. I played a lot of Dynasty Warriors so I'm kind of used to see some dudes soloing entire units but it can get kind of ridiculous.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I let out an audible sigh when Houken entered the stage again. I wanted to see more Riboku dealing with his personal worst case scenario nightmare. It would have been interesting!

But as i criticized before, the author's not very good at this. So instead we get the Shounen power-up check personified again.

I'm feeling sorry for the horse. It has the Shounen spirit, but no Shounen armor. :(

Macheath
Jun 14, 2000

I am hope.
Some of you guys need to get over it. Kingdom is a boilerplate shounen and Houken is a plot device.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
By the way, those who haven't been picking them up: the Otoyomegatari and Vinland Saga hardcovers that are being released in the US are fantastic and really worth it.

Vinland Saga volume 1
Bride's Story volume 1

e: hahahahaha oh god I clicked the negative reviews on Bride's Story

quote:

Disappointed - This book has cartoons. I didn't realize this book was for children when I bought it. Nothing in the description given implies anything other than it is for adults. Or, if it did, I missed it.

quote:

It was fine., - It could have a rating printed on the book jacket. When I checked out from the library there was no rating. Most manga either has a rating on the hardcover jacket or on the back cover. I loved the story line but given the brief scene, I prefer that there was a rating on the back of the book jacket or somewhere inside the new volume. It was researched thoughly and the artwork was very good. I still wouldn't recommend it for my cousin. She just wouldn't undertstand the customs of the characters in it. I loved Amir.

???

Zorak fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 24, 2014

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I agree, those hardcover copies of the manga are lovely. The paper is good quality.

The series seems to have confused more than one person on Amazon into thinking it's not a comic. One review for vol.4 is just as odd. (Why would someone buy the fourth volume in a series without checking what type it is?)

quote:

IT WAS NOT ADVERTISED AS A COMIC BOOK - THEREFORE I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED. I AM 80. A LITTLE TOO OLD FOR COMICS. I IMAGINED IT TO BE A TRANSLATION OF SOME MUCH OLDER WORK.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zorak posted:

e: hahahahaha oh god I clicked the negative reviews on Bride's Story
???

That second one is probably talking about the nudity in the yurt early on in the series. It's a shame that this person counts it as a negative that there's a really alien culture being portrayed, though, because that's one of the coolest things about the manga other than the gorgeous artwork - the fact that this setting is so unexplored and the customs and sensibilities are so unlike our own. I know the cousin has to be like 5 years old but you could have some conversations with them about the differences and why people in this story are acting the way they are.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mori's author's commentary sections in Bride's Story are hilarious. "CARPETS, CARPETS, AND MORE CARPETS!"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Van Dine posted:

I agree, those hardcover copies of the manga are lovely. The paper is good quality.

The series seems to have confused more than one person on Amazon into thinking it's not a comic. One review for vol.4 is just as odd. (Why would someone buy the fourth volume in a series without checking what type it is?)

Oh grandma.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Amazon Reviews posted:

This book has cartoons!!
Well yea, there's one on the cover? :raise:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jackard posted:

Well yea, there's one on the cover? :raise:

Yeah but wierd and misleading covers on books are a thing. Just look at Computer Programming books in general.

http://www.amazon.com/Mining-Social-Web-Facebook-LinkedIn/dp/1449367615/ref=sr_1_49?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395713647&sr=1-49

What the gently caress does scraping have to do with whatever animal that is on the front of the cover. Mole? Muskrat? I don't loving know. It's like an artform, every Computer book has some black and white random photo. Python? "Bah just throw a picture of the Doge of Venice on there who gives a gently caress"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

YouTuber posted:

Yeah but wierd and misleading covers on books are a thing. Just look at Computer Programming books in general.

http://www.amazon.com/Mining-Social-Web-Facebook-LinkedIn/dp/1449367615/ref=sr_1_49?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395713647&sr=1-49

What the gently caress does scraping have to do with whatever animal that is on the front of the cover. Mole? Muskrat? I don't loving know. It's like an artform, every Computer book has some black and white random photo. Python? "Bah just throw a picture of the Doge of Venice on there who gives a gently caress"

O'Reilly books on Python have pretty much the only appropriate animals in the whole pantheon. One has a snake, another has a mouse :3:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Ended up binging Vinland Saga and holy poo poo, what a piece of work.

The series as a whole is amazing. I love that the second half of the series was effectively about the cultivation of life, and how much work and time is put into it in comparison to the first half dedicated to that trope of 'mindless badass violence'. That all of that work done in the second half is constantly, thoughtlessly and casually destroyed in the first is such a great thing that is never really shown in a brick-to-face fashion.

Most of all, I absolutely adore that Thorfinn's characterization breaks that trend of those common "fake pacifists" that seem so prevalent in fiction. He isn't some bullshit monk who fights only when angered or endangered- he's a tried and true pacifist that struggles with his ideals rather than breaking them or having some absurd standard/excuse that prevents him from having them tested in a human way.

I really can't wait for what's next because while the series could've devolved into something much less than what it is at more or less any point in the story, it has always managed to exceed expectations.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 25, 2014

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
That change in tone was definitely great for the people I saw who binged the series right before Farming Saga. You get all this great action and some real crazy violence and gore, and suddenly we spend multiple years reading about a guy cultivating land and trying to find his center.

It was great :allears:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I still miss Thorkell though. Actually I miss all those horrible monsters from part 1 if I'm being honest but Thorkell most of all.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
The latest Vinland raw was just released, hopefully a translator will jump straight onto it. :unsmith:

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Chapters 350 and 351 of Kingdom are out. :black101: does not do this manga justice.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Rodyle posted:

I still miss Thorkell though. Actually I miss all those horrible monsters from part 1 if I'm being honest but Thorkell most of all.

Well, we still have crazy Cnut. :unsmith:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

korrandark posted:

Chapters 350 and 351 of Kingdom are out. :black101: does not do this manga justice.

Holy. poo poo.

So, just how much recognition is Shin going to get out of all this; the fighting they did at the Pass, the bearing of Duke Hyou's shield now, defending Sai, protecting Sei on the battlefield, and driving back a wounded Houken. Will he make it to 5000-man commander on the brink of being a General?

Rodyle posted:

:allears:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 27, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I still hold the glimmer of hope that Thorkell will show up to join Thorfinn for "whoops, Thorkell went and killed all the bad guys again" "Thorkelllllll" "whoops"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That'll have to wait for the spinoff.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Pencil in Thor Bjornsson to play Thorkell in the movie adaptation of Vinland Saga.
He's 6'10" and 425lbs and is currently playing The Mountain in Game Of Thrones.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I just reread the first chapter of Vinland Saga and so, so much stuff there was foreshadowing all of thorfin's path so far. I recommend everybody to read the first chapter again.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
More Kingdom out 352,353,354, and a spin off chapter. More :black101: and some :3:.

Goodbye mouthpiece dude, you were pretty cool. :patriot:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
For those not aware, because it's not extremely obvious, the Vinland Saga hardcovers available in the US are actually omnibuses; they cover pretty massive swaths of the manga. The second volume ends just as they steal the Winter quarters. Presumably the third volume will end at the beginning of Thorfinn's enslavement.

Definitely worth a buy for re-reads etc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I assume people probably have, but for anyone who's reading Vinland Saga and hasn't read Planetes you really should. Its pretty different from the anime from what I remember

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jose posted:

I assume people probably have, but for anyone who's reading Vinland Saga and hasn't read Planetes you really should. Its pretty different from the anime from what I remember

It is and I found that both were better for it. The anime tells the story more from the girls point of view where the manga tells it entirely from the male's perspective and the girl doesn't even show up until a good way into the story.

I thought it was a neat take on slightly reworking the whole thing.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
New vinland: http://www.mangapanda.com/vinland-saga/102

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Well I guess that's Thorfinn's love interest :geno:

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Zorak posted:

Well I guess that's Thorfinn's love interest :geno:

What makes you say that? She's married isn't she?

Also it's weird to think how soft this series is becoming - Thorfinn's new look, this new character. I'm almost expecting a return to brutality for the ending but it's hard to say.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Well that was not what I expected at all!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Haha! I love how ever since Thorfinn returned to Iceland, the series has just felt like a shonen manga. Now this chapter even introduces a spunky, plucky girl character too! It's like Thorfinn's about to go and sail for the Grand Line! :haw:

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

pinegala posted:

Also it's weird to think how soft this series is becoming - Thorfinn's new look, this new character. I'm almost expecting a return to brutality for the ending but it's hard to say.

The historical Vinland colony was abandoned because of ongoing conflict with the Native Americans, right? I think it's somewhat likely

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Haha! I love how ever since Thorfinn returned to Iceland, the series has just felt like a shonen manga. Now this chapter even introduces a spunky, plucky girl character too! It's like Thorfinn's about to go and sail for the Grand Line! :haw:

Next chapter he'll probably get into more wacky hijinx and misunderstandings. That's Our Thorfinn! :haw:

I'm a bit curious why so many people are looking for her anyway, is she holding an important role or is her husband someone with a lot of influence?

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

Law Cheetah posted:

The historical Vinland colony was abandoned because of ongoing conflict with the Native Americans, right? I think it's somewhat likely

DrSunshine posted:

I suppose you could roughly plot the uh, plot by reading the actual Vinland Sagas. That's pretty neat, in a horribly spoilerific way.

I'm not entirely sure but I think that Thorfinn has a wife and kids when he departs, also a whole bunch of other dudes tag along too, like Ylfa and her family.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mo_Steel posted:

Next chapter he'll probably get into more wacky hijinx and misunderstandings. That's Our Thorfinn! :haw:

I'm a bit curious why so many people are looking for her anyway, is she holding an important role or is her husband someone with a lot of influence?

Hey, Iceland even has natural geothermal hot spots, so if ever there was a place for ~*~wacky hotsprings hijinx~*~ this would be it.

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
Vinland Saga is by far my favorite historical manga, but this chapter has "ruined my immersion" a little by constantly bringing up "MEN SAIL BOATS! WOMEN PROTECT THE HOME!". Which is technically all not that true in Viking culture. Especially since there are plenty of historical accounts of women actively fighting along men as equals. And also the History channel constantly reminding us about shieldmaidens in the series Vikings.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

isme posted:

Vinland Saga is by far my favorite historical manga, but this chapter has "ruined my immersion" a little by constantly bringing up "MEN SAIL BOATS! WOMEN PROTECT THE HOME!". Which is technically all not that true in Viking culture. Especially since there are plenty of historical accounts of women actively fighting along men as equals. And also the History channel constantly reminding us about shieldmaidens in the series Vikings.

Shield maidens were rare as all hell. Which is why Lagertha is such a huge loving deal. Not to mention we are about 200 or so years off from that time period. Literally in the timeframe the show Vikings takes place in no human has set foot on Iceland. Vikings takes place starting at 792, we are at somewhere between 1010 and 1015. That is a long long time and towards the tail end of the Viking era.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

After how brutal the end of farm arc was I'm ore than happy to see some hijinks. That said, this chapter was pretty anemic in terms of anything happening. Hijinks are harsh in a monthly release.

(Everything with thorfinn and his sister has been adorable though)