Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

nucosmos just spends a really weird portion of its run time on stupid minutiae whenever they go into cartoon history mode, then they completely gloss over actual cool poo poo. I'm not saying that the history of fish factoid isnt amusing, but they keep going back to it, its so loving odd the way this show is written and how they dole out time. Its bad in the opposite way I expected it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think one of the really scary parts about the co-opting of the scientific method by the atheist movement is how it's starting to spread into fields where it really isn't applicable because atheists think that science is the be-all and end-all of human thought and achievement

like, there are good studies coming out now that a lot of psychological concepts are egregiously flawed because they operated from the assumption that human cognition and decision making is universal after conducting studies exclusively on western subjects

they were treating psychology like physics

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
and bad science is solely caused by atheist influence, you see.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the atheist influence certainly doesn't help

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
neither does magical thinking, but that doesn't really fit your narrative, does it.

perhaps you could compile a list of things that do not help bad science, in the interest of fairness, so that it doesn't look like you're just bagging on atheism to be edgy or something

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Stymie posted:

like, there are good studies coming out now that a lot of psychological concepts are egregiously flawed because they operated from the assumption that human cognition and decision making is universal after conducting studies exclusively on western subjects

they were treating psychology like physics

lol yes this is something that is a) tied to internet atheists and b) new

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
why do people feel so strongly about their beliefs/non-beliefs in god

it's like internet fanboys but worse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ol qwerty bastard posted:

why do people feel so strongly about their beliefs/non-beliefs in god

it's like internet fanboys but worse

why do people feel so strongly about other people's beliefs/non-beliefs in god?

why is stymie so obsessed with being an edgy contrarian that he posts things even he knows are loving ridiculous?

questions for the ages, surely.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
all of the animated segments are really bad and provide information that is irrelevant to the narrative of the episode

everybody that knows anything about newton already knew all of the information presented in episode 3. the lower information audience doesn't benefit from learning that an autistic professor had a hard time getting his book published because of the politics of the 17th century when the hour is nominally about the motion of comets and planets. there are a lot of recent discoveries that are more interesting and they would lend themselves to neil getting a chance to actually explain why modern science is important

like, a 20 minute segment about horseshoe orbits and lagrangian points could have been more interesting to the general audience and would have been a neat little effect for the imagination spaceship

and a segment about the oort cloud could mention that some alien assholes launched gliese 710 at the solar system to shoot a bunch of comets at us so we'd better get our collective asses in gear and get some robot water harvesters to stockpile some fuel for us so we can start thinking about colonizing a couple of backup planets

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

More recent calculations by Bobylev in 2010 suggest Gliese 710 has an 86% chance of passing through the Oort butt, considering the Oort butt to be a spheroid around the Sun with semiminor and semimajor axes of 80,000 and 100,000 astronomical units.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

neither does magical thinking, but that doesn't really fit your narrative, does it.

perhaps you could compile a list of things that do not help bad science, in the interest of fairness, so that it doesn't look like you're just bagging on atheism to be edgy or something

things that do not help bad science:

1) false dichotomies (e.g. between atheism and "magical thinking")

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

kyrie eleison alt account detected

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's no dichotomy implied you dingus.

you're just making up terrible arguments all over the place today. put some effort into it, geez

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think one of my favorite things about atheists when they get defensive is that they automatically assume the people arguing against their brand of atheism are religious

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

nobody is feeding your tired re-used debate hooks. go outside

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i can't i'm at work

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well then be a more interesting troll.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sometimes the truth isn't interesting but it remains the truth

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that is both true and uninteresting, also completely unrelated to whatever point you thought you were making about atheists and science

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
here's a quick summation of my point for those who can't understand:

carl sagan was not an atheist

atheism and science are not inextricably linked

advancing atheism through science advocacy is wrong

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lol jesus christ youf uckers

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont understand what this argument is about. the atheism stuff in nucosmos is very bad that shouldn't be controversial

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

angry_keebler posted:

new cosmos 3 synopsis so stymie can have his fake outrage posts:

y'all were even warned and now you've let him puppet master his anime dog tits hand right up your rear end

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

y'all were even warned and now you've let him puppet master his anime dog tits hand right up your rear end

lol what?

he just spent an hour arguing against a point no one made. he's basically been posting to himself for a page an a half.

it's not sci-fi or funy computer though, so there's that

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ahahaha yes i am arguing against a point nobody made, guy who unironically used the phrase "magical thinking"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

speaking of sci-fi, does anyone still publish good yearly short story anthologies?

i have a bunch of random old ones and it just occurred to me i haven't seen any since like the 90s

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol jesus christ youf uckers

seriously what the hell people

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
does anyone have any good sci-fi anthologies they'd recommend? i've read both of harlan ellison's Dangerous Visions anthologies, something along those lines would be rad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

seriously what the hell people

what? let him get it out of his system, until someone mentions cosmos again next week.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i think i might have to stop reading Red Mars (i'm 80% of the way through, Frank has just found out just how many people are mass disappearing)

while i find it interesting i'm resonating with frank way too goddamn much. the empty way he feels, the way he responds to his gf, his lack of (aware) self-determination

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

quote:

Suddenly he was afraid: they were their pasts, they had to be or they were nothing at all, and whatever they felt or thought or said in the present was nothing more than an echo of the past; and so when they said what they said, how could they know what their deeper minds were really feeling, thinking, saying? They didn't know, not really. Relationships were for that reason utterly mysterious; they took place between two subconscious minds, and whatever the surface trickle thought was going on could not be trusted to be right.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlsoD posted:

i think i might have to stop reading Red Mars (i'm 80% of the way through, Frank has just found out just how many people are mass disappearing)

while i find it interesting i'm resonating with frank way too goddamn much. the empty way he feels, the way he responds to his gf, his lack of (aware) self-determination

this is why i haven't yet got through a scanner darkly

was trying to quit smoking and fred/bob's problem was mirroring the ongoing fracturing and dissociation of my own brain

we've identified substance d irl, and it's one of the most addictive and deadly drugs and yet they sell it in drugstores, kwik-e-marts and groceries

wth, actual dystopia

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

syscall girl posted:

we've identified substance d irl

*points to dilznick*

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

what? let him get it out of his system, until someone mentions cosmos again next week.

this is stymie. it is never out of his system.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

this is stymie. it is never out of his system.

no kidding. he just started an argument with himself because no one disagreed when he said that new cosmos shouldn't be pushing a worldview/religion bashing.

it think if he were left alone long enough he'd just meltdown on himself

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

nucosmos just spends a really weird portion of its run time on stupid minutiae whenever they go into cartoon history mode, then they completely gloss over actual cool poo poo. I'm not saying that the history of fish factoid isnt amusing, but they keep going back to it, its so loving odd the way this show is written and how they dole out time. Its bad in the opposite way I expected it to be.

nice post. here are a few hundred fishbooks as payment

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

syscall girl posted:

this is why i haven't yet got through a scanner darkly

was trying to quit smoking and fred/bob's problem was mirroring the ongoing fracturing and dissociation of my own brain

we've identified substance d irl, and it's one of the most addictive and deadly drugs and yet they sell it in drugstores, kwik-e-marts and groceries

wth, actual dystopia

you should probably change your avatar

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

it think if he were left alone long enough he'd just meltdown on himself

why don't you fools give it a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
for reals tho Wonders of the Universe w/ Brian Cox is way better at cosmos than nucosmos

• Locked thread