Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Zoness posted:

I can't think of a real reason aside from slow play that U/W/x control should be a more egregiously slow deck than 4-color gifts (Champions Block) or U/B teachings (TSP block and TSP standard) were, especially in their respective mirrors. U/W/x control decks play like, 10 relevant cards in the mirror, tops. Okay, 36 if you count lands.

I could see the games (especially game 1s) going that slow if it's specifically an Elixir mirror (where often the only way you can win is by decking the other guy naturally) and where people don't prioritize threat cards (which like you said, there are almost none of) correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah but that's not a useful definition of the word 'mistake'. I don't think a card must be at least as abstractly and contextlessly powerful as Sphinx's Revelation for it to be better if it hadn't have been printed.

True, I guess I just don't think Pack Rat is good enough that anyone would call it a mistake. An easier argument could be made that reprinting Mutavault was the real mistake, since it's a more all-encompassing card and is the only reason Pack Rat is fast enough to work in Standard.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Brownhat posted:

I hate U/W control because it slows down tournaments. I was judging a Standard event where two control players couldn't finish a single game in time. 0/0/1 draws are dumb. They're especially dumb when both players can be playing at a reasonable pace and still no one wins in 50+ minutes.

I was judging at a Standard PTQ in November, and it took the U/W mirror almost three hours to finish it's top 4 match.

This is certainly a problem, but it's mostly the players (and partially certain builds of the deck). Many of these players play the game to not lose, and as such they are comfortable playing a super long game with one win condition in their deck. I'll see them draw it but refuse to take any risk in playing it even when the game is sewn up tight because if they just wait six more turns they can cast it AND have double counter backup!

They also play incredibly slowly. Saturday night I played against UW and drew even though I dominated game 2 and was 2 turns short of winning game 3, because my durdle-y opponent refused to concede game 1 and took ages on every single decision.

I play bant control, and the reason for that is WIN CONDITIONS! I still control the board, still have counterspells, but I have a PLAN and don't just durdle all game until I say, "OK, 15 lands is enough to make a move finally." I'm ticking up Kiora to release the kraken, I'm playing Elspeth and attacking with tokens and Mutavaults, I have a mainboard Aetherling to close out the mirror game 1, I have Mistcutters, Brimaz, and Angels in games 2 and 3. I can play the long game, but I can also take a risk and make you answer threats, then put the game out of your reach with a Revelation.

UW with nothing but one Elspeth and an Elixir pisses me off to no end, though, especially online.

My point being that it's the players. If not overly cautious, the majority of them are at the very least extremely slow because they're inexperienced. I think there's nothing wrong with playing control if you play regularly, practice with the deck, and can react quickly (another key is knowing every OTHER deck so you can process your options quickly after the opponent makes a play). If you just bought the deck because it did well in an event and think you know what you're doing, you're gonna have a bad time (and go to time).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mortimer posted:

Uh, I've seen mono decks in every color?
Mono red is a given and probably the most ubiquitous
Mono white is just white weenie, usually in every standard at some point
Mono black was moderately popular during innistrad/rtr because of the removal and vampire nighthawk existing
Mono green I personally played during most of INN/RTR using predator ooze and wolfir silverheart
Mono blue was probably the least played due to the lack of reasons to stick in one color, but I've seen it done before Theros, albeit poorly

Really though, Theros just made Mono Blue and Mono black good, that's two decks.

Oh now you're quantifying they can't be "dumb aggro", well now you're moving these goalposts.

:confused: The reason why I'm excluding aggro (probably shouldn't have used the pejorative, sorry) is because people trying mono-red aggro is pretty much a gimme, likewise white; it doesn't mean they stay good against the usual barrage of multicolored goodstuff decks, brief metagame calls aside. My point was that Theros instantly spawned a bunch of mono-colored or nearly mono-colored midrange decks and that's something pretty awesome.

Even if you think mono-colored decks aren't original and that there are only two of them viable currently, doesn't that at the very least maintain parity with Sphinx's Rev decks?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

qbert posted:

True, I guess I just don't think Pack Rat is good enough that anyone would call it a mistake. An easier argument could be made that reprinting Mutavault was the real mistake, since it's a more all-encompassing card and is the only reason Pack Rat is fast enough to work in Standard.

This is why I think there's considerations besides power level to identify mistakes. Mutavault is a great card, yeah, but it's great in a good way. As a manland it lets you both have and use your mana more often, as a colorless land it creates an incentive for disciplined mana bases, as a Changeling it's got all these neat little marginal synergies... it's just good Magic.

Pack Rat, though, when it's working, in Limited or Constructed, is a card that asks you to stop casting and resolving spells for the rest of the game. It has a negative, degenerate effect on gameplay - the Plan A of Monoblack Devotion for the whole season has been "I have 57 Pack Rats; I dare you to beat them". It's powerful enough to see play and the play it creates is awful.

I do think there's some merit to hating on Mutavault, though, and it's this: between Thoughtseize and Mutavault, two of the linchpin cards of the format are reprints. That, I think, goes a long way towards making Standard feel a little staler than it might actually be if you were to look at the numbers.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm just sick of Control players with no personality. I get why you are playing the deck, but be more than a Magic-playing robot dammit.

This sounds like an amazing gimmick.

BEEP BOOP DEPLOYING AETHERLING. PASS TURN.

EDIT: How did he get herrrrree? What does he waaaaaaaant? He wants Jaaaaaaaace.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 24, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Boxman posted:

This sounds like an amazing gimmick.

BEEP BOOP DEPLOYING AETHERLING. PASS TURN.

WARNING. ASSCRACK FULLY OCCLUDED. ENGAGING EMERGENCY PROTOCOLS.

... PANTS LOWERED BY FIVE CENTIMETERS. STEREOTYPE SUCCESSFULLY RESTORED. PROCEED.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Gilg posted:

Any recommendations on software to keep track of your inventory of cards? Searching reveals a lot of different options, like http://deckbox.org/ and http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Magic_Album but it's hard to pick one.

I personally have started using Magic Assistant to inventory my Commander Decks after I tried using Deckbox and not working the way I expected. I haven't started on my inventory of anything other than Decks yet(due to laziness), but it has worked for me so far.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

Because demand increased while supply remained constant. :eng101:

Holy gently caress my foil Thalia is worth fifty loving dollars?!?!?!?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This is certainly a problem, but it's mostly the players (and partially certain builds of the deck). Many of these players play the game to not lose, and as such they are comfortable playing a super long game with one win condition in their deck. I'll see them draw it but refuse to take any risk in playing it even when the game is sewn up tight because if they just wait six more turns they can cast it AND have double counter backup!

They also play incredibly slowly. Saturday night I played against UW and drew even though I dominated game 2 and was 2 turns short of winning game 3, because my durdle-y opponent refused to concede game 1 and took ages on every single decision.

I play bant control, and the reason for that is WIN CONDITIONS! I still control the board, still have counterspells, but I have a PLAN and don't just durdle all game until I say, "OK, 15 lands is enough to make a move finally." I'm ticking up Kiora to release the kraken, I'm playing Elspeth and attacking with tokens and Mutavaults, I have a mainboard Aetherling to close out the mirror game 1, I have Mistcutters, Brimaz, and Angels in games 2 and 3. I can play the long game, but I can also take a risk and make you answer threats, then put the game out of your reach with a Revelation.

UW with nothing but one Elspeth and an Elixir pisses me off to no end, though, especially online.

My point being that it's the players. If not overly cautious, the majority of them are at the very least extremely slow because they're inexperienced. I think there's nothing wrong with playing control if you play regularly, practice with the deck, and can react quickly (another key is knowing every OTHER deck so you can process your options quickly after the opponent makes a play). If you just bought the deck because it did well in an event and think you know what you're doing, you're gonna have a bad time (and go to time).

Bant's fine and all, it just feels clunky to me. I like how streamlined straight u/w is.I like that all my cards interact with the opponent or draw me cards save for my elixir. I run elspeth, but mostly as a way to end games in the mirror, as well as having utility in brickwalling some straggling groundpounders or as a kill spell for stormbreath.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mezzanon posted:

Because when you're able to spend hundreds of dollars on a single land, a foil copy of a widely-printed card is relatively cheap to acquire. You actually see this with most legacy staples - the "foil multiplier" on something like Deathrite Shaman is much larger than the one on, say, Stormbreath Dragon.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

Because when you're able to spend hundreds of dollars on a single land, a foil copy of a widely-printed card is relatively cheap to acquire. You actually see this with most legacy staples - the "foil multiplier" on something like Deathrite Shaman is much larger than the one on, say, Stormbreath Dragon.

Makes sense, and I have also been doing this with abrupt decays (trading standard staples into foil abrupt decays)

I just wasn't expecting Thalia. To be such a hot button card

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Mezzanon posted:

About as surprised as I was when I learned my foil Rhys the Redeemed is worth about the same. Thanks EDH.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

As I've mentioned before, imagine how I feel to own multiple foil Wastelands that Wizards sent me for free in the days when cardboard bitcoins seemed more or less limited to the Power Nine and Mana Drain. :shepface:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Madmarker posted:

Bant's fine and all, it just feels clunky to me. I like how streamlined straight u/w is.I like that all my cards interact with the opponent or draw me cards save for my elixir. I run elspeth, but mostly as a way to end games in the mirror, as well as having utility in brickwalling some straggling groundpounders or as a kill spell for stormbreath.

I dunno, I feel like not having any way to win the game is ridiculous. Woo you can sit there and draw cards for 20 turns? Unless you're a complete rear end in a top hat, "win on time" shouldn't be plan A....

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
That's all well and good but I'd play and enjoy playing a deck where the only win-con is elixer of immortality. Maybe Psychic Spiral on backup.

I am a complete rear end in a top hat so I guess you're right on that though.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I have a strong ideological opposition to ever doing things so the Elixir build appeals to me on a primal level.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I want to build a deck that doesn't even win by decking your opponent because it somehow causes them to keep shuffling their graveyard into their library. You just draw every single game.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

forbidden lesbian posted:

That's all well and good but I'd play and enjoy playing a deck where the only win-con is elixer of immortality. Maybe Psychic Spiral on backup.

I am a complete rear end in a top hat so I guess you're right on that though.

As long as you can admit you're a terrible human being for doing it, that's fair enough.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

What a Judas posted:

This is the fault of the u/w players. Good players can finish games, no problem.

It really is. We have one guy at our store who could probably go to goddamn time playing Naya Blitz, and he always plays UW control. I had to play him in a GPT final with no time limit and the judge haaaated us.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

So I have a foil Russian Olivia Voldaren. I'm on the fence about getting it signed by Eric Deschamps, as I'm sending him a pile of promo plains and other things to get signed, but this is obviously a more expensive and way rarer card. Can anyone recommend for or against getting it signed? I'm really on the fence and cannot make up my mind. I'm unlikely to trade it at any time, and I'm also unlikely to ever see another one.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

vOv posted:

I want to build a deck that doesn't even win by decking your opponent because it somehow causes them to keep shuffling their graveyard into their library. You just draw every single game.

I believe Primal Command and Loaming Shaman can help you with that.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I dunno, I feel like not having any way to win the game is ridiculous. Woo you can sit there and draw cards for 20 turns? Unless you're a complete rear end in a top hat, "win on time" shouldn't be plan A....

I've never won on time. I play fast, if the opponent absolutely refuses to concede, I'll win off a Jace ultimate or Elspeth tokens. However, if you play it fast enough and get to the end game, where you have obviously established dominance, most players who aren't brand new, will scoop.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Blue Sun's Zenith wasn't played because control decks weren't played when it was in Standard. Sphinx's Rev wouldn't have seen any play either. And no I am not interested in pedantic arguing over whether or not Cawblade was control, regardless of what you classify it as it wasn't ever going to run USZ and wouldn't run Rev.

Blue Sun's was usually more of a kill condition anyhow.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

OgreNoah posted:

So I have a foil Russian Olivia Voldaren. I'm on the fence about getting it signed by Eric Deschamps, as I'm sending him a pile of promo plains and other things to get signed, but this is obviously a more expensive and way rarer card. Can anyone recommend for or against getting it signed? I'm really on the fence and cannot make up my mind. I'm unlikely to trade it at any time, and I'm also unlikely to ever see another one.

Why not get it signed? If you're not gonna trade it, collector's value doesn't matter. If you're not gonna see another one, why not make yours the coolest version it can be?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Blue Sun's Zenith wasn't played because control decks weren't played when it was in Standard. Sphinx's Rev wouldn't have seen any play either. And no I am not interested in pedantic arguing over whether or not Cawblade was control, regardless of what you classify it as it wasn't ever going to run USZ and wouldn't run Rev.

Blue Sun's was usually more of a kill condition anyhow.

Yeah, first there was caw-blade, which had no need for the large refill effect a revelation or bsz provided. After that, delver just made straight control almost unplayable.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Wasn't U/B control a thing during Delver standard? I specifically remember PV playing it at a couple of Grand Prix. These memories are before AVR, though, so if you're talking about super Delver with Resto Angel, then yeah I can see it not being a thing anymore.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JerryLee posted:

Wasn't U/B control a thing during Delver standard? I specifically remember PV playing it at a couple of Grand Prix. These memories are before AVR, though, so if you're talking about super Delver with Resto Angel, then yeah I can see it not being a thing anymore.

Yeah, it definitely was for a bit before Delver caught on. Mana Leak, Doom Blade/Go For the Throat, Forbidden Alchemy, Think Twice, Snapcasters, and Grave Titan as a finisher.

e: Won an SCG open around this time two years ago: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=2563&d=216639&f=ST

Entropic fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 25, 2014

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Zoness posted:

Because Spread'em became mildly known as a hate deck

I looked this up and now I really wish I'd been playing back then. What a hilarious, incredible deck (and super suited to playing against Jund).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Entropic posted:

Yeah, it definitely was for a bit before Delver caught on.

I guess it depends on what one defines as "before Delver caught on" because I definitely remember substantially Delver decks being all over the place by the first months of the year, even if the deck hadn't yet acquired its post-AVR refined state.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

OgreNoah posted:

If you never hope to sell it, by all means. But I've gotten tired of signed cards, personally.

That said, sell it to me.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

JerryLee posted:

I remember that U/B was the control deck before Caw first came together. It was kills spells, counters, 1-2 grave titans, 3-4 sea gate oracles, and Jaces.

And looking through the tcgplayer deck listings for Grave Titan, it saw play in Solar Flare decks, and a bunch of Esper/Grixis control decks. It has this deck as well, http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1033212 but I cant really remember a u/b deck tearing it up when delver was first starting up.

e - I guess it was a thing after all. Tcgplayer isn't going back far enough, that why I couldn't find it.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 25, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JerryLee posted:

I guess it depends on what one defines as "before Delver caught on" because I definitely remember substantially Delver decks being all over the place by the first months of the year, even if the deck hadn't yet acquired its post-AVR refined state.

It was after Dark Ascension that Delver really took off as a deck, evolving out of that post-M12-Standard Illusion Tribal Aggro-Tempo deck that used Lord of the Unreal, Phantasmal Image, Phantasmal Bear, and all the Mana Leak / Vapor Snag / Ponder tempo stuff that made it into the final Delver deck. UB Control was definitely a thing between Innistrad and Dark Ascension.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

It was after Dark Ascension that Delver really took off as a deck, evolving out of that post-M12-Standard Illusion Tribal Aggro-Tempo deck that used Lord of the Unreal, Phantasmal Image, Phantasmal Bear, and all the Mana Leak / Vapor Snag / Ponder tempo stuff that made it into the final Delver deck. UB Control was definitely a thing between Innistrad and Dark Ascension.

Oh it definitely was a thing, I tried to run it for a while, but once I started losing to Delver over and over again, I had to put my Zenith's away and sleeve up some delver's, geists and resto's

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
All this talk about oppressive control decks has me feeling nostalgic for the rear end in a top hat monoblue control deck the guys at my local shop helped me build in middle school. It was something like

~25 lands(including Faerie Conclave and Stalking Stones)
20something counters(Counterspell, Force Spike, Rewind, Dismiss, Forbid and Mana Leak)
Some number of Capsizes and Whispers of the Muse

The deck was supposed to have 4 Morphlings in it too, but each one cost a week of allowance so I had to wait until my birthday to get them.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Entropic posted:

I want to hear the goddamn fall set announcement already, I'm bored of Theros and want something new to speculate wildly about.

Am I the only one who's pretty unexcited for Journey Into Nyx? The Theros flavour was cool initially but without much in the way of story happening I'm pretty bored of it now.
I think a lot of people are scared of another Dragon's Maze. BNG was also moderately underwhelming. GR got some fun tools. UW got nothing(ephara is nice but not critical.) Black got some more useful kill spells. UG got a planeswalker that feels powerful in certain decks but the rest of UG lacks something to break out. White got the best three drop in the game right now, unfortunately white has issues where every good card they have is literally 3 mana. GW's tools are rumored to be coming in JOU, possibly an insane GW Ajani. Red got some interesting cards that pushed Burn into tier 1.

I'm excited for the new set just because unlike Dragon's Maze the gods seem to be a bit better overall than a lot of the guild champions ended up. Maybe WotC can sort of break the 'third set is weakest' streak.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I'm just hoping if there's a GB God in Journey that it'll fit with Dredge.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I just 0-4'd in a Standard tournament at my LCS. I may never have an original thought about decks ever again.

Played a Bant... thing.

Attempted to spew out using Prophet to vomit out Epharas, Thunes, Polus, basically big rear end things that do poo poo, with Jace and Kiora holding down the defensive fort with my Caryatids and Coursers.

Round 1 vs U/W Control: 0-2
Round 2 vs Mono Black: 0-2
Round 3 vs BIOVISIONARY. 0-2
Round 4 vs RG Monsters: 0-2

I don't think I've ever wanted to shelf a deck so fast.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pack Rat was undeniably the coolest card to come out of the shitpile that was RtR block (honorable mention to Rakdos' Return, if only for the windmill slam).

If you don't like Pack Rat, you aren't fit to play Magic: The Wizard Pokering in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Fourteen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
To the person that wanted to watch Pod, the GP Richmond winner is streaming pod right now Monday 9:33pm EST, he's been playing Kiki Pod for about 3-4 years so he knows the deck well. http://www.twitch.tv/ryzaru/popout

• Locked thread