Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

On the other hand the GTX750 looks promising, with a very low price tag and quite enough power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I used to have an 8800Gt for 5 years, that card owned. :3:

I have a 560ti for 3 years now, and while it's a pretty sweet card its so loving loud under full load that it annoys me, so I don't max out most games since I don't care for looks over comfort.
Please tell me cards got less noisey, I'd love to upgrade but not if it gets me another wind-turbine.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Editted for relevance: ^^ I upgraded from a 580 to a 670, and while my case fans are loud I definitely noticed a distinct drop in operating temperatures (580 would do 84-88 under load, 670 maxes out at 75 for PS2 on ultra, and maintains 60-65 for other games). Naturally, if your temps are lower, your fans won't work as hard ergo less noise.

goodness posted:

Can anyone recommend a game I could play with 2 friends (3 people total)? Something not Civ, Dota, Starcraft, TF2.

Looking for some kind of strategy game most likely, but a 3-4 player coop rpg could also work.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North is a 3 player co-op action-ish rpg. I have it and haven't actually played it, but from most accounts it's a fun enough co-op game.

EDIT: Wow, gently caress me this was like two pages ago.

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 13, 2014

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Zedd posted:

I have a 560ti for 3 years now, and while it's a pretty sweet card its so loving loud under full load that it annoys me, so I don't max out most games since I don't care for looks over comfort.
Please tell me cards got less noisey, I'd love to upgrade but not if it gets me another wind-turbine.

I've got a 660ti that's quiet as gently caress and while I don't know a lot about 560s, there can be a shitload of difference between different manufacturers and their cooling solutions. For example even though my (EVGA) 660ti with 2 fans is silent as gently caress it's probably a bad idea to get one with just a single fan.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Zedd posted:

Yeah, like Burning Mustache said it can depend on your manufacturer. I have an EVGA 560ti myself and that thing's pretty quiet.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Zedd posted:

Yes and no. While idle, they're quieter, while under load they're louder. At least when you compare stock cooling. You might wanna look into custom cooling cards like the Gigabyte 760 OC Windforce. It's a bit quieter than your card.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

But Not Tonight posted:

Editted for relevance: ^^ I upgraded from a 580 to a 670, and while my case fans are loud I definitely noticed a distinct drop in operating temperatures (580 would do 84-88 under load, 670 maxes out at 75 for PS2 on ultra, and maintains 60-65 for other games). Naturally, if your temps are lower, your fans won't work as hard ergo less noise.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North is a 3 player co-op action-ish rpg. I have it and haven't actually played it, but from most accounts it's a fun enough co-op game.

EDIT: Wow, gently caress me this was like two pages ago.

Thanks for bringing it up again actually. Still looking for a game all 3 of us will like.

We have been playing dota but it leads to madness. And Borderlansds which is pretty fun.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I posted about it before while I just had the card, and I'm more used to it now, but for good measure this is what I have.

At least it's a lesson learned for in like 1.5years when I replace it, it's all good. :)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So, NVIDIA has rolled out Maxwell-based 800M GPU line. I am going to buy myself a laptop this autumn - what are the chances that 900M line fires off around that time?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

kalstrams posted:

So, NVIDIA has rolled out Maxwell-based 800M GPU line. I am going to buy myself a laptop this autumn - what are the chances that 900M line fires off around that time?

Slim. Nvidia typically does annual product refreshes, so don't expect the 900 series until next year.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

kalstrams posted:

So, NVIDIA has rolled out Maxwell-based 800M GPU line.

It's a huge mess, though. The 870M and 880M are based on the older Kepler hardware. The 850M and 860M are based on Maxwell, but only some of the 860Ms, because nVidia has the awful habit of giving several different laptop GPUs the same name.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

It's a huge mess, though. The 870M and 880M are based on the older Kepler hardware. The 850M and 860M are based on Maxwell, but only some of the 860Ms, because nVidia has the awful habit of giving several different laptop GPUs the same name.

So all high end stuff is better but not still there? :psyduck:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Speaking of GPUs: Is there a particular reason why CCC (14.2 beta) and a bunch of other apps now display my 7950 as a R9 200 series card?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is a really stupid question, but is there no way to start a Chatroom with some friends on Steam? I can only seem to go to a Group chat if we're all in a group, but I don't want to have to Create a group and get everyone to join it just so I can shoot a few people messages simultaneously...

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Sab669 posted:

This is a really stupid question, but is there no way to start a Chatroom with some friends on Steam? I can only seem to go to a Group chat if we're all in a group, but I don't want to have to Create a group and get everyone to join it just so I can shoot a few people messages simultaneously...

Yep.

If you have a chat window with somebody open, click on the down-arrow icon in the top right corner of the chat window and it should allow you to invite other people to that chat.

You can only invite people who are properly online (so no people who are online just on a mobile device, apparently).

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Zedd posted:

I recently upgraded from the Asus DirectCUII 560Ti to the MSI 770 twinfrozr, the thing about the 770 (and other new cards, i think the 750 has this also) is GPUboost 2.0 will target a specific temperature and dynamically OC your card if it isn't reaching that temperature under load, and using the right apps you can config it to either OC more aggressively (resulting in more noise) or less so, granting the opposite effect. I haven't messed with mine much yet, only got it a few days ago, but with the stock settings it's practically silent idle, and maybe a little quieter than my 560ti under load. 3db quieter according to an online review I read.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Any news or updates on the Oculus Rift headset? I would be interested to try one out at some point, preferably the consumer version when available. I want to see how it compares with gaming on a projector, especially since the Rift sounds like it will be cheaper than many high-end projectors, as well as take up less space.

I read Sony will be revealing their own VR-like headset at the upcoming GDC. Competition on the VR headset front sounds good to me. News link:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/14/watch-thalmic-integrate-the-myo-armband-and-oculus-rift-to-get-your-hands-in-the-game/

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

nnnotime posted:

Any news or updates on the Oculus Rift headset? I would be interested to try one out at some point, preferably the consumer version when available. I want to see how it compares with gaming on a projector, especially since the Rift sounds like it will be cheaper than many high-end projectors, as well as take up less space.

I read Sony will be revealing their own VR-like headset at the upcoming GDC. Competition on the VR headset front sounds good to me. News link:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/14/watch-thalmic-integrate-the-myo-armband-and-oculus-rift-to-get-your-hands-in-the-game/

Some part necessary in the manufacturing of the Oculus isn't being made anymore so they're being forced to pause manufacturing the consumer version indefinitely, last I heard

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So not quite a PC gaming question, but one related to gaming, through PCs.

I am hoping to get some sort of an input capture device for recording/screenshotting stuff on consoles that for some reason do not ever have this feature built in even in 2014 (unless the xbone and ps4 can take screenshots and I didn't hear about it).

What is the best way to capture video from something that may or may not have HDMI outputs, but will want to capture things that do have hdmi outputs as well?

Hopefully something cheapish, but can provide a good quality? Blurry/hazy is right out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So not quite a PC gaming question, but one related to gaming, through PCs.

I am hoping to get some sort of an input capture device for recording/screenshotting stuff on consoles that for some reason do not ever have this feature built in even in 2014 (unless the xbone and ps4 can take screenshots and I didn't hear about it).

What is the best way to capture video from something that may or may not have HDMI outputs, but will want to capture things that do have hdmi outputs as well?

Hopefully something cheapish, but can provide a good quality? Blurry/hazy is right out.
Read the sticky thread in the sub-forum devoted to capturing game footage:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590713

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Read the sticky thread in the sub-forum devoted to capturing game footage:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590713

Ah, I didn't see that at all. Thanks!

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

flatluigi posted:

Some part necessary in the manufacturing of the Oculus isn't being made anymore so they're being forced to pause manufacturing the consumer version indefinitely, last I heard

Ah-haaaa!!! Now Oculus is back, allowing one to pre-order the DevKit 2. But no definite date on the commercial version:

Link:
http://kotaku.com/the-new-oculus-rift-is-very-cool-and-you-can-get-one-t-1546773756

DevKit2 features from the linked article posted:

* Oculus says the new Rift headsets will be available on the Oculus website for preorder starting right about now, March 19, at 8AM Pacific. The headsets are estimated to ship in July of 2014. They'll be made available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

* The new DevKit still isn't the commercial version, and won't really be intended for the public. It's intended more for developers to start to learn how to make games work on a Rift. Of course, that doesn't mean that non-developers can't buy one...

* Each headset will cost $350, $50 more than the first DevKit cost. The extra $50 apparently covers the included camera that tracks your head movement.

* The DevKit 2 will run at 960x1080 resolution per eye, totaling out to 1920x1080, or 1080p between both eyes. It'll use a low-persistence OLED display with 6DOF positional tracking.

* Its refresh rates will be 75Hz, 72Hz, and 60Hz

* It'll use a gyroscope, an accelerometer and a magnetometer for inertial tracking, and those sensors will update at 1000Hz.

* It'll weigh 440g without its cable.
* The headset is still called the Rift, and it will always be called the Rift. "Crystal Cove" was just a code-name for the DevKit 2, but isn't the name of the actual headset.

* Just like the Crystal Cove prototype, DevKit 2 will be able to track your head's movements via the included camera (which you mount on a fixed point in the room), so you can lean in closer to objects in the game-world to make your view grow closer. It goes a long way toward making the experience more immersive.

*The new headset looks a touch different than the Crystal Cove prototype - it's now solid black. It's also a more streamlined form-factor from the first Rift, and looks more like how we've come to expect VR headsets to look

Here's why I said, "Ah-Haaaaa": The Vader/Coming To America Mash-up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXze55Z2GuY

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Behold, a tumblr of nothing but white guys wearing the Oculus Rift. I hope in the future to also join this fine gallery:

http://whiteguyswearinoculusrifts.tumblr.com/

I guess white privilege, under attack these days, is regrouping in cyberspace.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nnnotime posted:

Behold, a tumblr of nothing but white guys wearing the Oculus Rift. I hope in the future to also join this fine gallery:

Yeah I guess that's a tumblr thing to do

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

nnnotime posted:

Nah, it's just the first model is only compatible with white person eyes. Next year will see the Black Eyes expansion, then 6 months after that the Asian Eyes DLC, and then perhaps after that the devs might issue some poorly made adapter lenses that don't work very well for the rest of the ethnic types.

(if they're not out of business by then, that is)

:ssh: Which they will be.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
People have been using Tumblr for single-serving blogs like that for ages, man, I doubt there's an ulterior motive.

Reminds me of this, though: http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A month of life per AA is pretty bad for a wireless mouse right? (It might actually be more like 3 weeks). It's from this (cheap) set:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/wireless-combo-mk260?crid=403&osid=14&bit=64

The battery that came with the set only lasted about 2 weeks. I figured it may have been old, but I didn't get much more use out of a new Duracell (20 years before expiring). The spec page claims it should last 5 months.

The computer is on 5-12 hours a day.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rinkles posted:

A month of life per AA is pretty bad for a wireless mouse right? (It might actually be more like 3 weeks). It's from this (cheap) set:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/wireless-combo-mk260?crid=403&osid=14&bit=64

The battery that came with the set only lasted about 2 weeks. I figured it may have been old, but I didn't get much more use out of a new Duracell (20 years before expiring). The spec page claims it should last 5 months.

The computer is on 5-12 hours a day.

I have this mouse: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/performance-mouse-mx

It came with a AA NiMH battery that lasts about two days. A much better NiMH battery put into it lasts about a week or two, depending on frequency of use, varying between 2-8 hours a day. I didn't bother reading the spec sheet, that's just how it is. Mouse works just dandy. The original AA lives on in a desk clock and needs a recharge once a month.

I generally prefer wireless peripherals with replaceable batteries, though, and don't mind rotating NiMHs in and out, and buying a new set every 3-4 years. Sure seems less wasteful than buying a whole new device because the custom flat-pack (or inaccessible) battery doesn't hold a charge anymore. I remember when I bought it, the biggest complaint by far in reviews was the battery appetite. Maybe I'm just old and cranky, but people are way too happy to buy devices that become useless in 2-3 years because of this.

tl;dr, buy rechargables and use them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

doctorfrog posted:

It came with a AA NiMH battery that lasts about two days. A much better NiMH battery put into it lasts about a week or two, depending on frequency of use, varying between 2-8 hours a day. I didn't bother reading the spec sheet, that's just how it is. Mouse works just dandy. The original AA lives on in a desk clock and needs a recharge once a month.

I generally prefer wireless peripherals with replaceable batteries, though, and don't mind rotating NiMHs in and out, and buying a new set every 3-4 years. Sure seems less wasteful than buying a whole new device because the custom flat-pack (or inaccessible) battery doesn't hold a charge anymore. I remember when I bought it, the biggest complaint by far in reviews was the battery appetite. Maybe I'm just old and cranky, but people are way too happy to buy devices that become useless in 2-3 years because of this.

I have this mouse as well and it is the best. It recharges quickly and the battery life is pretty good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Thanks, I needed a good reason to get some eneloops anyway. Still, surprised the bad battery life was that bad.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
While wireless keyboards tend to last a few months or more, mice are pretty power hungry. 3-4 weeks per charge is pretty normal/good

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

So, honestly, how does Titanfall preform on PC? I'd ask in it's thread but I'm a little worried about sycophantic misinformation.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

omg chael crash posted:

So, honestly, how does Titanfall preform on PC? I'd ask in it's thread but I'm a little worried about sycophantic misinformation.

Runs fast and clean with decent graphics and gameplay.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

omg chael crash posted:

I think it runs like a dream, it seems really well optimized and I don't think I've ever really seen any frames drop. I'm running with a i5-2400 and a Nvidia GTX 760, for reference. It's not quite as pretty as some of the "next gen" stuff we're seeing like MGS: Ground Zeroes or Infamous: Second Son, but it does have a lot more going on at any given moment. It's also amazingly fun to play, the parkour stuff feels really fresh and there's basically not really any camping.

My only real issue right now is that the maps feel a little big for 6v6, but they do sort of alleviate that with the grunts. Personally I'd prefer smaller, tighter map design, but despite the size issue, almost all of the maps are still fun to play.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

I'm on an i7, GTX 580, and 8 GB of RAM. A little displeased with the performance; it's not a great looking game but it's not poo poo either. FPS Ranges from 40-60 depending on whats going on, with AA off and everything else maxed.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I'm on an i7, GTX 580, and 8 GB of RAM. A little displeased with the performance; it's not a great looking game but it's not poo poo either. FPS Ranges from 40-60 depending on whats going on, with AA off and everything else maxed.

I'm on a very similar setup, crank AA on and turn your textures down from insanity to very high (No real difference except better performance). I get great performance, and I can't figure out why there was a gap with insanity textures causing my performance issues.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also regarding the cheap logitech wireless mouse, the middle button was busted 2 weeks in. I have to hold it for a few seconds for it to register (and even then it's unreliable), which is obviously slow but also uncomfortable.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rinkles posted:

Also regarding the cheap logitech wireless mouse, the middle button was busted 2 weeks in. I have to hold it for a few seconds for it to register (and even then it's unreliable), which is obviously slow but also uncomfortable.

Get your receipt and call them. They'll most likely put you through a cursory test and send you a new mouse through the mail. That is, if you want a replacement. They won't want the old mouse back.

In 2010 I had $80 to blow on a peripheral (a rare thing), and the mouse lasted two years before the left button was clickstuck. One phone call and the replacement was on its way: they no longer made my mouse anymore so just bumped me up to the Performance MX, a decent upgrade. It's still doing real well, and it's nice to know I can get a new one if it craps out with a minimum of fuss.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

omg chael crash posted:

Don't expect over 60fps. There is this weird thing where higher FPS lowers your sensitivity for some reason. So even though I can get 100-120FPS I stick at 60 because my sensitivity is more consistent. I'm really dissapointed I can't even do 60fps with insane textures on my 660ti, but other than that 60fps is a pretty easy target to hit with High or Very High textures, assuming you turn MSAA off.

If you have Nvidia, there will be an update for Titanfall sometime in the future that adds TXAA and HBAO.

http://www.slashgear.com/titanfall-nvidia-gameworks-boosts-bring-4k-support-txaa-hbao-20321471/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I'm on an i7

Depending on when you bought it, it could be outdated.

• Locked thread