Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

MMD3 posted:

Welp, if you were in Portland I would offer you my Intimus 5B's and 4C at a discount I won't have a place for them in the new house.

I might be interested. PMing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Is there a program that sweeps the spectrum and takes the information in via microphone so that I can look at the frequency response of my setup? Calibration isn't a big deal, just looking to see what some changes in settings actually do.

Yes, "Room EQ Wizard" (rew) is the standard. Its free but to download and get support you need to register on hometheatershack.

Microphones aren't perfectly flat but good ones come with a calibration curve that allows you to measure a room without the mic being a factor.

I use my audyssey mic. They've been measured "close enough" to flat. Only issue is they begin to clip around 95db. So you can get response but not Max SPL or compression measurements.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 16, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uncola posted:

Jonathan I'm thinking back to when you recommended I get andrew jones pioneer speakers and it's pissing me off. They were seriously underwhelming and it set off a cycle of upgrading that cost me time and money. What I am proposing is that you punch yourself in the balls. Only then will I go back to thinking of you as a friend. Please write back once you have completed this task.

Others: uncola is an Internet friend of mine since early IRC #quake days. Now we do Ku Klux Klan role playing and cosplay.

Uncola: I just got back from a week of drinking Mojitos at Ernest Hemingway's hotel in Havana and being invited for 3 ways with trashy Canadian resort goers. My balls don't resemble anything that could be punched at this point.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As for Pioneer naysayers, or those afraid of buying them, my experience is that they're at the entry level of what one would consider a good capable speaker.

They need a subwoofer to go with them, and I've never recommended a Polk psw10 as they are not very capable. You need something more. The Polk 505 is a good budget sub. Anything less will struggle to compete with a floorstanding speaker.

Anyone who can budget more money for speakers over the pioneers should do so.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

qirex posted:

How did you like them?

I liked them great but they were my first pair of decent speakers so I can't really comment on how they stack up.

I still have my 5T's and 5C and they're going strong. I just am putting my surrounds in the ceiling in our new house.

...speaking of which, still looking for in-ceiling recommendations to pair with those 5T's.

The Sonance 623r's are on the list at $330/pair but I don't have anywhere to audition them (or probably any in-ceilings really) so at this point it's all anecdotal.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
How well regarded are Episode speakers?

I'm looking for a wall-mounted 5.1 setup and my installer is recommending the Episode 500 series (3x LCR @ $200/ea, 2x Surround @ $150/ea, Subwoofer @ $300) on the basis that he can get them for me at a discount. Is that a reasonable setup for $1200 (tax included)?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

qirex posted:

I'm getting my 6th home audio system but this thread has more traffic than the general audio thread so I'm cross posting. I'm looking for for bookshelf-sized L, R and C speakers around $1200 total, maybe up to $1500. What would you guys do with that budget?

current short list for mains [assume a matching center as well, I just don't want to look up all the model numbers]:

So that's pretty much the list of stuff I was auditioning a couple of years ago, save for the Axiom stuff. Just never warmed to their look.

Anyway, it came down to the KEF's, Monitors and the Sierras. I auditioned the first two, then ordered the Sierra's as the last comparison. They never went back. They really can do anything and they are so very clean and quiet. There's background events on some of my ambient electronica that I could previously only expose in test rooms on pretty expensive gear. Little textural things. I can now hear them in my den any time I want.

PM if you want a more full rant and ramble.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I'm trying to hook my PS4 up to my HP 25xi LED monitor, but the monitor doesn't have built-in speakers and it doesn't have audio-out jacks. So I'm looking for something to play the audio from my PS4. Is there something that would take my HDMI cable and split it between the monitor and whatever speakers, or should I just go with the optical out? It's in a pretty small area, so I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Any suggestions? Thanks!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

I'm trying to hook my PS4 up to my HP 25xi LED monitor, but the monitor doesn't have built-in speakers and it doesn't have audio-out jacks. So I'm looking for something to play the audio from my PS4. Is there something that would take my HDMI cable and split it between the monitor and whatever speakers, or should I just go with the optical out? It's in a pretty small area, so I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Do you have an existing sound system? If so, use this:

http://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-...ywords=fiio+dac

If not, budget?

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
This is really doing my head in.

Recently I got a NAD C326BEE (stereo integrated with sub out and pre out) from a deceased relative and I want to hook a subwoofer of some sort to it.

I have two questions:
1) What is a decent budget sub around $500 max. I've been looking at the Wharfedale SW150 since it's cheap and appears to be rated well.
2) How on earth do I do bass management with an integrated amplifier? As far as I know, the sub outs are full range so there isn't really a way to limit the frequencies coming out if the speakers.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

jeffreyw posted:

2) How on earth do I do bass management with an integrated amplifier? As far as I know, the sub outs are full range so there isn't really a way to limit the frequencies coming out if the speakers.

This is the back of that Wharfedale sub:

You integrate the sub with your mains by listening to test tones while fiddling with the phase switch, crossover frequency, and volume. It's easy to do with a full-range noise track and a bass frequency sweep.

This is how I've always handled setup:

I'm guessing your main speakers are ported, since most modern ones are. Ported speakers have a pretty steep frequency dropoff below the port frequency, so the subwoofer crossover frequency will probably end up close to the port frequency. Set the crossover to that general range, then adjust the volume and phase while listening to pink noise. If the subwoofer is out of phase relative to your mains, there should be some suckout at the crossover frequency.

Next, switch to the bass frequency sweep and use it to adjust the crossover frequency. Too much overlap can result in a peak at those frequencies. Play with it until you feel like the crossover from the sub to the mains is as smooth as you can get it. You may end up toying with the volume as well after moving the crossover.

This is a lot easier to do with a microphone and good software, but there's no reason you can't get great results by ear.

As for subs themselves, I've always liked the Hsu Research VTF-1. You could get it shipped for under $500. It allows you to switch between two ports, one port, and a sealed enclosure using foam plugs. It also has a Q control, which is nice.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 20, 2014

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
I appreciate the help but I've done that with a piece of poo poo Yamaha subwoofer before. It works pretty darn well but I was hoping to completely separate the frequencies that go to my speakers and subwoofer.

Doing some further research, it seems I have three options:
1) Get a better subwoofer and do exactly what you suggest.
2) Get a subwoofer with filtered line-out like the SVS PB-1000 (holy poo poo its expensive).
3) Get an active crossover (comedy option, I might as well get a better sub with the money I would spend on one).

Which option would likely yield the best results for music, bideo games, and the occasional movie? Is separating frequencies between speaker and subwoofer really as good as a lot of people claim? I forgot to mention that I live in Australia and we've got pretty draconian return policies so demoing is a bit difficult.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 20, 2014

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
I am looking for some quick advice in selecting a receiver to use with some entry level monoprice 'Premium' 5.1 speakers.

From the reviews I have read online I have it boiled down to this:

Yamaha RX-V375 (Refurbished) Amazon for $170 or new for $280
Sony STR-DH540 (New) Amazon for $230 (Largely just because I like the look and it has good reviews)
or step up to something like
ONKYO TX-NR626 (Refurbished) Accessories4less for $350

The prices vary and I am fine with up to $350 if it is worth it. I am planning on using the system for movies, games, music - hooking up a PS3, PS4, PC, Turntable and Chromecast for GMusic. Because of the Chromecast I don't think I need to worry too much about WIFI or other connected services. Are any of these viewed more highly or is there another unit I have yet to hear about?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Pedialyte posted:

The prices vary and I am fine with up to $350 if it is worth it. I am planning on using the system for movies, games, music - hooking up a PS3, PS4, PC, Turntable and Chromecast for GMusic. Because of the Chromecast I don't think I need to worry too much about WIFI or other connected services. Are any of these viewed more highly or is there another unit I have yet to hear about?

I got a Denon X1000 and have been very satisfied with it. Compared to that Onkyo you mentioned it's $50 cheaper, has one HDMI port on front panel and has better Audyssey. On the other hand it only has one HDMI out, no easily accessible Night Mode and a lot less legacy ports.

What sort of connection does your turntable need? Also, have you yet pulled the trigger on the speakers?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1000/denon-avr-x1000-5.1-channel-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.

Hob_Gadling posted:

I got a Denon X1000 and have been very satisfied with it. Compared to that Onkyo you mentioned it's $50 cheaper, has one HDMI port on front panel and has better Audyssey. On the other hand it only has one HDMI out, no easily accessible Night Mode and a lot less legacy ports.

What sort of connection does your turntable need? Also, have you yet pulled the trigger on the speakers?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1000/denon-avr-x1000-5.1-channel-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

Looking into the Denon now. I am not sure about the lack of legacy connections honestly, and night mode is something I will use often. Going to read some reviews though.

For the turntable I am looking at this. It is RCA phono or line. The Onkyo 626 could take the phono directly.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2LL75ZKP21OIG&coliid=I2ZA0EVE2VLJDF

And I have not pulled the trigger on the speakers. I just saw them at the lowest ($188 & free shipping) I have seen them here:
http://monoprice.shop.rakuten.com/p/premium-5-1-ch-home-theater-system-with-subwoofer/254155920.html?sellerid=37816583

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Pedialyte posted:

For the turntable I am looking at this. It is RCA phono or line. The Onkyo 626 could take the phono directly.

I would get the Onkyo based on this fact alone, unless you find some other receiver with phono in that you like more.

quote:

And I have not pulled the trigger on the speakers. I just saw them at the lowest ($188 & free shipping) I have seen them here:

That's not a bad price but they're no longer the Energy clones they used to be. You be the judge if the difference is meaningful:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57606446-221/monoprice-9774-vs-monoprice-10565-vs-energy-take-classic-are-they-different/

As speakers are the longest lasting part of your system I'd consider getting separates. $200 is enough to get started with a 3.0 system that is easy to expand if (when) the urge to upgrade strikes.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I am deaf from my left ear and my right ear has an under average frequency range. And yet my LG 47LM6400 has speakers so lovely that even I can notice it. I knew it was to be expected from built-in speakers in a flat screen, but god it's so bad I hardly use it anymore. Also, when ordering this, I didn't know that "Smart" TV remote actually meant "irritating as gently caress interface and remote that turns something as basic as changing inputs into a chore". So I'd like to get myself a basic audio system to address the bad sound thing as well as allow me to move the input management to a different, more tolerable remote.

However, I am dealing with fairly limited space:

When the front door is open, it actually goes all the way to the TV stand, so I cannot fit anything floorstanding. And even tiny satellites would have to be 4-5cm wide at most to fit on the sides of the stand.

Due to the aforementioned hearing issues, I'm not too picky about having top of the line quality speakers. And I don't need surround either, just 2.1/3.1 will do. I'm thinking a sound bar would be my best bet, but all the ones I've looked at have receivers with very limited HDMI inputs, where I'd need at least 4.

Is there such a thing, or will I have to get a standalone soundbar and separate receiver? If the latter, maybe I'd be better off installing some bookshelf speakers above the display (although I'd rather keep drilling holes as a last resort)?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
A sound bar is your best option.

Due to your hearing problems I wouldn't worry about super accurate quality. This unit is cheap, well reviewed, and self amplified.

You could then use a cheap HDMI switch.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 21, 2014

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Wasabi the J posted:

You could then use a cheap HDMI switch.

Eh, if the inputs is not an option, I might as well stick to my TV. I'm pretty sure I can get a non-"magic" remote that's not motion controlled and that'll take most of the hassle out of using the TV remote.

And that Philips unit isn't available online at anywhere near reasonable that price in Canada... Future Shop/Best Buy does carry it, so I guess I'll be swinging by my favourite overpriced retail chain soon.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, and this might be painfully simple, but I have no idea where to begin.

I play the bass. I also live in an apartment, which means that I have to use headphones. I like to play along to music, so I connect my computer's audio output to my effects board aux in. I then connect my headphones to the effects board. The problem is that when I stop playing and want to use the computer for something else, I need to disconnect the cable that goes from the computer's audio out to the effects board, disconnect the headphones from the board, put them back in the computer.

Oh, and when I want to not use headphones with my computer, but my speakers, I need to disconnect the headphones from the computer, and plug the speakers in, because the speakers lack a headphone output slot.

What I want is to be able to just leave all this poo poo connected at all times, because it's a hassle to unplug and plug this stuff all the time. I figure I need some kind of mixer to tie it all together, but I have absolutely no idea what kind of thing I should be looking at. Any suggestions?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Geisladisk posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, and this might be painfully simple, but I have no idea where to begin.

I play the bass. I also live in an apartment, which means that I have to use headphones. I like to play along to music, so I connect my computer's audio output to my effects board aux in. I then connect my headphones to the effects board. The problem is that when I stop playing and want to use the computer for something else, I need to disconnect the cable that goes from the computer's audio out to the effects board, disconnect the headphones from the board, put them back in the computer.

Oh, and when I want to not use headphones with my computer, but my speakers, I need to disconnect the headphones from the computer, and plug the speakers in, because the speakers lack a headphone output slot.

What I want is to be able to just leave all this poo poo connected at all times, because it's a hassle to unplug and plug this stuff all the time. I figure I need some kind of mixer to tie it all together, but I have absolutely no idea what kind of thing I should be looking at. Any suggestions?

It would be a lot easier to take a pic of the effects board. What I'm getting is that it's a single input/output device, but I may be confused.

If that's the case, something like this seems to be your easiest solution. If you wanted to get more serious about recording and such, you could always get a mixer like this.

The problem with your question is I don't know what kind of budget you have or what kind of input/outputs your stuff has. I'm assuming you mean electric bass guitar, so 1/4" male/male TRS goes to an effects board, and that has a monitor line out that you've been plugging into to listen; you've been using a 1/8" male/male TRS cable to plug your computer into it's aux.

Both the products I have listed would prevent you from having to move your phones from the board to the PC; the difference would be that with the former, you would run the PC and the main output of your board to the inputs and leave your phones plugged in. I don't like wall warts, however, so I posted the latter mixer; as a benefit, it would allow you to have a variety of inputs if you got a different board, source (iPod, record player, etc.) or mic, and would transport audio to and from your computer over the USB connection.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 21, 2014

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Pedialyte posted:

I am looking for some quick advice in selecting a receiver to use with some entry level monoprice 'Premium' 5.1 speakers.

From the reviews I have read online I have it boiled down to this:

Yamaha RX-V375 (Refurbished) Amazon for $170 or new for $280
Sony STR-DH540 (New) Amazon for $230 (Largely just because I like the look and it has good reviews)
or step up to something like
ONKYO TX-NR626 (Refurbished) Accessories4less for $350

I personally would not get the Sony but I'm kind of a snob about that sort of thing. I've heard too much about the HDMI board issues of Onkyos to pick one up but I'm sure there are a large number of people where it hasn't been an issue. That Yamaha has been 199 all over the place new so if you want that one I would shop around. The Denon X1000 mentioned above is $350 new at Best Buy in store with Magnolia departments and the X series has a 3 year warranty.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

Raymn posted:

I personally would not get the Sony but I'm kind of a snob about that sort of thing. I've heard too much about the HDMI board issues of Onkyos to pick one up but I'm sure there are a large number of people where it hasn't been an issue. That Yamaha has been 199 all over the place new so if you want that one I would shop around. The Denon X1000 mentioned above is $350 new at Best Buy in store with Magnolia departments and the X series has a 3 year warranty.

Thanks for the info. I did go with the Yamaha 375 for $200. Here's hoping it does everything I need it to do!

I can share my (very rookie) opinion on this combination if anyone is interested in a low-end system..

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

It would be a lot easier to take a pic of the effects board. What I'm getting is that it's a single input/output device, but I may be confused.

If that's the case, something like this seems to be your easiest solution. If you wanted to get more serious about recording and such, you could always get a mixer like this.

The problem with your question is I don't know what kind of budget you have or what kind of input/outputs your stuff has. I'm assuming you mean electric bass guitar, so 1/4" male/male TRS goes to an effects board, and that has a monitor line out that you've been plugging into to listen; you've been using a 1/8" male/male TRS cable to plug your computer into it's aux.

Both the products I have listed would prevent you from having to move your phones from the board to the PC; the difference would be that with the former, you would run the PC and the main output of your board to the inputs and leave your phones plugged in. I don't like wall warts, however, so I posted the latter mixer; as a benefit, it would allow you to have a variety of inputs if you got a different board, source (iPod, record player, etc.) or mic, and would transport audio to and from your computer over the USB connection.

The effects board has one input and two outputs.

Thanks a lot for the help. Those cheap mixers look like they're exactly what I need - I honestly didn't even know where to begin looking.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Amazon has the Denon AVR-E300 on sale for $200 today. I'm thinking of grabbing it to replace my Samsung HW-D7000, largely because of Audyssey Bronze.

I would be trading 7.1 support (which I'm not using right now anyway) for slightly more power per channel.. but is there anything else I'm not thinking of? Any opinions on either of these receivers? Thanks!

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Amazon has the Pioneer SP-C22 and SP-FS52s for 67 and 87 respectively today, which is a pretty good deal

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ranma posted:

Amazon has the Pioneer SP-C22 and SP-FS52s for 67 and 87 respectively today, which is a pretty good deal

Still waiting for the C22 to go back down to $59.99. Still a good deal at $67 though!

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
My new setup has a hum which seems to be mostly present and can vary according to what picture is displayed on my TV.

Put in a new Furman line conditioner and no dice. Ordered new cables today.

Wouldn't be so bad except my Sharp TV also refuses to play nice with my Chromecast so despite my efforts to upgrade my AV it has been more frustration than reward. :(

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stugazi posted:

My new setup has a hum which seems to be mostly present and can vary according to what picture is displayed on my TV.

Put in a new Furman line conditioner and no dice. Ordered new cables today.

Wouldn't be so bad except my Sharp TV also refuses to play nice with my Chromecast so despite my efforts to upgrade my AV it has been more frustration than reward. :(

http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I went to a shop and listened to the KEF Q300 and the B&W 685 and they're both good but I preferred the Q300 slightly [and they're a little cheaper]. I think I'm going to go back and check out the Q100 vs. Q300 and the center channel and continue looking at internet options.

I'm definitely getting the smaller center channel, the Q600c is gigantic.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
With the smaller cheaper speakers in the lineup you're often just trading away low end bass. If you plan on crossing over at 80hz to the sub, you aren't giving much up.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Ok, so I've begun compiling my sound system. I've got all of my speakers ready to go. I just need a receiver now. I've got something like 500 bucks as my budget. The last thing that was recommended to me was discontinued and I can't seem to find it for a good price.

Any recommendations on the best receiver I can get for around 500?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Chili posted:

Ok, so I've begun compiling my sound system. I've got all of my speakers ready to go. I just need a receiver now. I've got something like 500 bucks as my budget. The last thing that was recommended to me was discontinued and I can't seem to find it for a good price.

Any recommendations on the best receiver I can get for around 500?

How many channels? What are your sources (HDMI, component, composite, etc? How many?)? Do you need network features (streaming)? Do you need 2 or more zones? If so, only audio or both audio and video? Do you need Audyssey EQ (Of course you do)? One subwoofer or 2?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

How many channels? What are your sources (HDMI, component, composite, etc? How many?)? Do you need network features (streaming)? Do you need 2 or more zones? If so, only audio or both audio and video? Do you need Audyssey EQ (Of course you do)? One subwoofer or 2?

Right now, I'm looking at 5.1, sources will be hdmi from the TV. I'll be watching stuff off of a Roku a lot so yeah, I will be doing some streaming. As for zones, I don't know what the means really, Audyssey EQ does sound pretty awesome, so yeah I'm interested and for now I'm sticking with one subwoofer, the room ain't that big, I may get a second later.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Denon AVR X1000 is notable for having MultiEQ XT, which is rare for your price range. To get the next step up (MultiEQ XT32), you're looking at >$1000.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pag...rx1000(denonna)

It also has built-in audio apps (Pandora, Spotify, etc.), which is what I meant by "streaming". You can hook a Roku up to anything.

Only has 1 subwoofer output. You can still use 2 subs with a splitter cable, unless you want two separate subwoofer channels for some reason.

No composite inputs, but if your only sources are HDMI, that shouldn't matter.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 26, 2014

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Chili posted:

Right now, I'm looking at 5.1, sources will be hdmi from the TV. I'll be watching stuff off of a Roku a lot so yeah, I will be doing some streaming. As for zones, I don't know what the means really, Audyssey EQ does sound pretty awesome, so yeah I'm interested and for now I'm sticking with one subwoofer, the room ain't that big, I may get a second later.

Zones let you output multiple sources to different setups. Networking features are things like Airplay built in or Spotify and poo poo like that. Most also will have an app you can use instead of a remote. Audyssey has different tiers which get better as you get pricer. I just purchased the Denon X1000 which has Airplay, the other usual network stuff, multi zone, and Audyssey Silver. Best Buy Magnolia stores were selling them for $350 a week ago and that was the best price I could find anywhere for it new and the absolute cheapest way to get Silver. Generally, figure out what you want (5.1, inputs, EQ, Networking things) and find receivers that have them. Quality/reviews will for the most part be the same so it will come down to price. Onkyos have been having HDMI issues but they seem to be a favorite here regardless because of their features at their price point. You can also get good deals on refurbs through places like accessories4less.com.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Comedy option:

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/systems/pages/systemdetails.aspx?SystemId=ReferenceHomeTheaterSystem&Systemcatid=Home%20Theater

212 tweeters. :haw:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

This isn't the ridiculous audiophile thread...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

This isn't the ridiculous audiophile thread...

It wouldn't be a comedy option in that thread. It would just be sad. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I currently use a Sherwood RX-4103 for my audio system. I use only two large (4ft) Bose speakers that connect with red/black copper, and my only input is red/white RCA connectors from my HDTV.

I have come across a Onkyo TX-DS797 which I was given for free.

Is it even worth it to install or is it overkill? I guess what I'm asking is could I switch to something like digital audio and would that be an improvement? I currently route all audio via HDMI (cable/blu-ray player/roku) to my TV, and then out to the receiver.

Also, if I were to use it, how do I connect copper wire to those red/black connectors back there?

the fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 26, 2014