Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

That was a god damned Screw job and you know it, Mick Foley never tapped out! :argh:

I heard him submit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Gavok posted:

Is there any truth that Hogan insisted Michaels turn heel for the angle just to keep the crowd from having to choose? He turned heel specifically for that match and the night after Summerslam he cut a promo that was basically, "Whatever, Hogan's gone and I'm face again. Just go with it."

However it came to be, it was all worth it for that amazing HBK promo in Montreal. I watched that one over and over again

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I wish someone would bust out the ring post figure four. That move made me lose my mind in 1997.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

Is there any truth that Hogan insisted Michaels turn heel for the angle just to keep the crowd from having to choose? He turned heel specifically for that match and the night after Summerslam he cut a promo that was basically, "Whatever, Hogan's gone and I'm face again. Just go with it."

I don't remember reading that, although I think what Shawn did the next night was mostly his own idea.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

natetimm posted:

He changes his voice fairly significantly when he does promos. Maybe he's focusing too hard on grunting out his steroid-fueled old lady voice instead of what he's actually saying.

This reminds me of the Road Warriors getting into their character voices by yelling the names of STDs in that Behind the Bash video.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tyma posted:

At which point between announcing the match, and The Outsiders running to the ring to beat him down post-match was it actually decided that Hulk Hogan was leaving Wrestlemania X8 as a babyface?

I hope this question doesn't get lost in the shuffle; my understanding of it is that Hall and Nash were supposed to come down to do an NWO beatdown on Rock, but Hogan was getting such amazing crowd reactions that someone called an audible either just before they went down to the ring, or actually in the ring. I could be wrong about that, but I doubt very much it was planned. No one could have thought the crowd would react the way they did.

Network link for the show: http://network.wwe.com/video/v31356687

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

The Hogan/Michaels thing is interesting for being a battle of the two biggest egotistical powerplayers fighting over backstage politics, but ultimately I don't see any reason to pass further judgment on it. If we were only getting one match from those two, I'm glad it turned out that way. The match is entertaining and hilarious and I'm not convinced that Shawn being "professional" would have improved upon it.

That's my thought as well: both HBK and Hogan were being egotistical dicks over this whole angle (old habits evidently came back) and what we got is what we got and I doubt anything better (in a smooth and logical sense) could have happened under those conditions. Let's just enjoy HBK flopping and flipping around like an electrocuted fish and the Montreal promo before that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jayou posted:

I seem to remember someone from here christened the move "FIIST" - gently caress it, its submission time. As it always felt so random whenever he busted it out.

For content, didn't the Big Show use a Cobra Clutch variant? Though I'm not sure if that was before or after he was using the Cobra Clutch slam in ECW.

No, FIIST was the weird inverted Figure 4 that Shawn used leading up to, I think, Breaking Point?

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
what are some more theme songs that are like booker t/ddp/kanyon/new age outlaws that start with the wrestler saying their trademark then the song hits?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

a cat youtube posted:

what are some more theme songs that are like booker t/ddp/kanyon/new age outlaws that start with the wrestler saying their trademark then the song hits?

Like half of them in the WWE

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

a cat youtube posted:

Bam... bam!
It's time! It's time! It's Vader time!

If WWE2k14 is to be believed, Jake's got a new(?) variant of his theme that starts with "Never trust a snake".

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There used to be a Last Call with Scott Hall video online where Hall and Sean Waltman were watching Hogan-Michaels and doing live commentary.

Waltman starts laughing at Michaels overselling and says "Do you think Hulk has any idea what's going on right now?". And Hall comments that Shawn would do crazy overselling to make the audience know that he was the star of the show, and not his opponent.

EDIT: Here's the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvDnqcwflyg

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
IF YOU SMEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.....

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Miz
Finlay

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

a cat youtube posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to list the ones that don't?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Bam... bam!
It's time! It's time! It's Vader time!

If WWE2k14 is to be believed, Jake's got a new(?) variant of his theme that starts with "Never trust a snake".

To be fair, Jake did have a version when he was active that had the 'Trust me' catchphrase looping through it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Well, enough is enough and it's time for a change!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, Jake did have a version when he was active that had the 'Trust me' catchphrase looping through it.

Is that like the NWO versions of themes that would just have that lovely voice effect going "new. world. order." all through it

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Gaz-L posted:

The "trust me... trust me... trust me..." at the start led to my favorite Macho-Man-on-commentary lines.

"No, I WON'T trust you, Jake the Snake Roberts!"

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Can someone remind me why Earl Hebner and his brother were fired again? At the time they were the most popular refs in the WWE. I seem to remember something about tshirts?

Also, why is Brian Hebner no longer with WWE? Are Hebner's pretty much no longer welcome?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

They were embezzling merch and selling it on the side or something

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

epitasis posted:

They were embezzling merch and selling it on the side or something

They owned a business in St.Louis and were selling WWE merch out of it without authorization.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They owned a business in St.Louis and were selling WWE merch out of it without authorization.

Yup, then Earl Hebner was in TNA (of course) for a while in a fairly prominent role (again, of course) and I don't know where he is now. He got fired from WWE in 2005ish if I recall.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Didn't Gregory Helms have one that was just him shouting "GREGORY HELMS"?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iskanderson posted:

Didn't Gregory Helms have one that was just him shouting "GREGORY HELMS"?

Maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=178vKD6eBNQ

harley
Sep 2, 2004
Who did the 'pouring beer down an alcoholics throat' first?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

harley posted:

Scott Hall did it for years

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Justin Godscock posted:

Yup, then Earl Hebner was in TNA (of course) for a while in a fairly prominent role (again, of course) and I don't know where he is now. He got fired from WWE in 2005ish if I recall.

Earl Hebner is still ancient and still taking ref bumps in TNA.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Earl "I'm going to slow count the decisive pinfall in a big huge match" Hebner is a horribly overrated ref. There, I said it.

TL fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 25, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

harley posted:

8:00 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1fhM5nu13Y

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Lawler used real alcohol on Jake, which is pretty heelish considering that it's Jake.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TL posted:

Earl "I'm going to slow count the decisive pinfall in a big huge match" Hebner is a horribly overrated ref. There, I said it.

Hebner also whines and carries on and interjects himself into matches constantly. He's actually the worst ref I can think of, let alone overrated.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I always liked the ECW fast ref counts better. It left less time to overthink whether something was really a match ender or not.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

I always liked the ECW fast ref counts better. It left less time to overthink whether something was really a match ender or not.

I am watching Guilty as Charged right now and I am not even sure when a match has started and when it is a post-match beatdown that will arbitrarily be made into a match. And sometimes the referee randomly becomes a different person, who cuts a promo and then is attacked by a run-in, who then is ref.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Memento posted:

I hope this question doesn't get lost in the shuffle; my understanding of it is that Hall and Nash were supposed to come down to do an NWO beatdown on Rock, but Hogan was getting such amazing crowd reactions that someone called an audible either just before they went down to the ring, or actually in the ring. I could be wrong about that, but I doubt very much it was planned. No one could have thought the crowd would react the way they did.

Network link for the show: http://network.wwe.com/video/v31356687

According to Hall and Nash, the change of plans happened the night of Wrestlemania. Hall was especially angry about the whole angle, because he was apparently going to win over Austin that night, on top of being forced to work twice as long as he initially agreed to do(20+ days a month instead of 10). I don't know how much of this is actually true, but considering it's Vince and how he handled the Invasion, I wouldn't put it past him to do this.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The year after Benoit's death they tried to reclaim the Crossface from him by giving it to HBK, Triple H, and even Khali in a match or two. I distinctly remember JR yelling "It's the Crip-- the Crossface! It's the Crossface!" :bahgawd:

Was there ever any reason given for why the brand split just sort of stopped being exclusive around the 2011 Royal Rumble? I remember by the time the Draft came around it didn't seem to matter because everyone was already showing up everywhere for months.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 25, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

How was Savage perceived on commentary? And how did he not hurt himself doing the Macho Man voice all show?

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
It'd be sweet if they gave the crossface to Ambrose. That might be drawing too many parallels, though.

Has Bryan ever won a match with the Cattle Mutilation in WWE?

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 25, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I just noticed something... when was the last time Cena did the Throwback and the Fisherman Suplex? Because both used to be in his moveset but I can't recall having seen them in potentially years.

I mean maybe he dropped the Fisherman for Curtis, but I can't see why a jumping neckbreaker would be dropped beyond maybe losing the mobility to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

By all accounts, Savage always did the Savage voice. If you were just talking to him it was "Ooh yeah I gotta see this."