Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Aeka 2.0 posted:

He axed the new RX7. A car that I would have waited, saved for, and bought as it was supposed to be some turbo goodness.

I was under the impression they were still going ahead with the RX-7. That wouldve been my next car after the Mazda 3 I just got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Aeka 2.0 posted:

He axed the new RX7. A car that I would have waited, saved for, and bought as it was supposed to be some turbo goodness.

I don't think there was much of an RX-7 to be axed, and he only set expectations that the car would have to be profitable. Mazda was in the red for five years so devoting a lot of resources to a fantasy car would be ridiculous. Now that their financials are improving (last I checked) it may be more reasonable to create a halo car. Some level of rotary research is always happening at Mazda but so far they haven't produced a motor that would be feasible to even use.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131119/CARNEWS/131119763

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No, the new CEO apparently has seen the writing on the wall of the rotary development arm of the company bankrupting the entire company like clockwork every 10 years. I like the rotary and whatnot, but the science fair project shouldn't gently caress with the solvency of the entire company.

Anyways, looks like the ND chassis/tub is going to be on display at the NY Auto Show.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

I was under the impression they were still going ahead with the RX-7. That wouldve been my next car after the Mazda 3 I just got.

There's one "source" claiming it's still on, and they've been doing so for years, with no real evidence to back anything up. None of their predictions on the next RX* have held up but people still treat it like it's anything other than speculative bull.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

CharlesM posted:

I don't think there was much of an RX-7 to be axed, and he only set expectations that the car would have to be profitable. Mazda was in the red for five years so devoting a lot of resources to a fantasy car would be ridiculous. Now that their financials are improving (last I checked) it may be more reasonable to create a halo car. Some level of rotary research is always happening at Mazda but so far they haven't produced a motor that would be feasible to even use.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131119/CARNEWS/131119763

Mazda has been working on the new 16X rotary since the RX-8 was first released, so they've had a lot of R&D time. Before the new CEO, the president of engineering (I might be slightly off on the title) came out and said chances were good there would be a new RX-7 in 2017 and had some specific details to back it up. Such details would generally come from having an engine that was about prime time ready. Mazda was also coming out with a bunch of new tech (laser ignition and a new catalytic converter for examples) that was basically directly applicable to the rotary.

So while no one except Mazda could definitively say one way or the other, it sounded like there actually was a car ready for production that did in fact get axed.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a source that says that R&D still continues, I don't know if that is the engine, or the car, but an actual release of a car is just not happening in the foreseeable future.
I suppose a new RX7 is too much of a halo car, its just all very depressing.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
They need to put a 6-cylinder into the Mazda6 before they do anything else, goddamnit. They're already $33k loaded in Canada, a diesel will probably add a not unsubstantial amount to that price but without adding any athleticism to the car... Give us a gas V6!

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
Mazda isn't in the position to gamble on a new rotary. It's that simple. There just aren't enough rotary enthusiasts

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Maybe it's because I'm part of the community, but that statement is just flat out wrong.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

the spyder posted:

Maybe it's because I'm part of the community, but that statement is just flat out wrong.
Couple thousand people on a forum (of whom only a fraction will actually buy the thing) aren't enough, regardless of how big the forum is.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, maybe, but are there enough of them who can afford to pay (most likely) $35k or more for a new halo car from Mazda? A new FC cost between $33k and 48k in today's dollars, depending on spec, and there are a lot more viable competitors today in that price range.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

the spyder posted:

I agree with the first part of your statement :-)

It's simple math. I'd even argue that the high majority of enthusiasts wouldn't even consider a rotary. That's a rough financial proposition for any company.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

the spyder posted:

The 3rd Generation RX-7 and All Generations of the RX-8 beg to differ. Oh look at that, they're both the latest cars to almost bankrupt Mazda and they're both rotaries. Mmmmmmmmhm.

I'm not arguing that they aren't great cars, they just aren't profitable cars. It's really unfortunate, but a single model shouldn't jeopardize an auto manufacturer's viability.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I loving love rotaries, but it's been pretty obvious for a while now that Mazda will probably not release another RX-, at least not in the foreseeable future. It sucks, but if it means they continue to build other cars that are actually fun to drive and not just another appliance than I can live with that.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Couple thousand people on a forum (of whom only a fraction will actually buy the thing) aren't enough, regardless of how big the forum is.

I don't participate on many forums anymore. SA is about it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
It's just like all the people that get upset when BMW or Audi don't sell cars like the M5 Touring or RS6 avant here in the states, yet on the few occasions we do see a car like that available here in the US, nobody buys them new.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Phone posted:

The 3rd Generation RX-7 and All Generations of the RX-8 beg to differ. Oh look at that, they're both the latest cars to almost bankrupt Mazda and they're both rotaries. Mmmmmmmmhm.

I'm not arguing that they aren't great cars, they just aren't profitable cars. It's really unfortunate, but a single model shouldn't jeopardize an auto manufacturer's viability.

I don't disagree- Mazda as a consumer car has always held a spot in the $17- $40k market (and the most current sales figures for the new Mazda's aren't helping, they arel struggling) and until they really can beef up their other much more profitable sales, they should not be making another rotary powered vehicle. The negative stigma the RX-8 and it's woes has brought does not help. However we can't forget that we are not the target audience for another rotary vehicle- Japan and Australia are, the US trailing far behind. Using US sales figures just justify one would mean there never will be another rotary vehicle.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also I don't think anyone is buying $40k Mazdas.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

the spyder posted:

I don't disagree- Mazda as a consumer car has always held a spot in the $17- $40k market (and the most current sales figures for the new Mazda's aren't helping, they arel struggling) and until they really can beef up their other much more profitable sales, they should not be making another rotary powered vehicle. The negative stigma the RX-8 and it's woes has brought does not help. However we can't forget that we are not the target audience for another rotary vehicle- Japan and Australia are, the US trailing far behind. Using US sales figures just justify one would mean there never will be another rotary vehicle.

Mazda really has to focus on maintaining profitability and relevance in the second biggest car market in the world, not catering to Australian and Japanese enthusiasts.

I would love to see a new rotary because they're cool as poo poo, but Mazda could pull out of the US in the next decade, which would be a very bad thing for both the US car market and Mazda.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's just like all the people that get upset when BMW or Audi don't sell cars like the M5 Touring or RS6 avant here in the states, yet on the few occasions we do see a car like that available here in the US, nobody buys them new.

Which is why we should repeal the Mercedes law. Or, even if they just reduced it to 5 or 10 years, I'd be happy. I could live with the Canadian 15 even.

But, yeah, too many people with the money to actually buy those cars are more interested in X5s and Q7s than plebian wagons.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

YF19pilot posted:

But, yeah, too many people with the money to actually buy those cars are more interested in X5s and Q7s than plebian wagons.

BIGGER IS BETTER, DIDN'T YOU KNOW? THIS IS AMERICA

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm still amazed someone would buy a CX-7/9 for the price they command, just not my style (then again, most of the current Mazda's are just kinda boring to me).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Mazda's stopped making the CX-7 almost two years ago. You have to load the CX-9 to the gills to get to a $40k MSRP, which makes it a decent bargain for its size class.

Really need a turbo for the 6, though.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

the spyder posted:

I'm still amazed someone would buy a CX-7/9 for the price they command, just not my style (then again, most of the current Mazda's are just kinda boring to me).

My parents actually own a CX-9. For the price it's a much nicer vehicle than Toyota's Highlander--which is a nice vehicle as well. It's $3-5K less and better equipped, plus the handling and braking are much better, as you would expect.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The only way a rotary could be profitable is if they put it in a new half ton pickup.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I don't get it, why is Mazda struggling when their cars are winning all these awards? Is it the poor timing because of the new Corolla coming just after the Mazda 3? As a newly minted 2014 Mazda 3 owner this kind of worries me.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Reminds me of a great article explaining how the sci-fi/nerd crowd gets upset at Hollywood for not making what they want. Then Hollywood answers the call and makes movies like Serenity and Scott Pilgrim only for them to be a box office bomb because the fans clamoring for it never turned up to watch it in theaters. I don't think most car fans have the money for the cars they want their chosen company to make. Those who do have that money will think twice about spending it because they know what it took to get it in the first place.

EDIT: \/\/\/\/\/ DONE! (It's currently on a train from the harbour, should have mine in a few weeks). If it helps I'll do any maintenance with OEM parts too.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 25, 2014

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Guinness posted:

Mazda has been on the verge of bankruptcy for years and is only just recently finding profitably and market share again by building affordable, reliable, fun-to-drive "regular" cars. Pissing away that tenuous recovery on a niche, low production, high development cost sports car to sell to about 17 enthusiasts is just about the worst business decision ever.

I'm all for bringing back the RX cars, but only when doing so won't destroy the company.

If anything, buying a new Mazda would help their business case toward having a halo sports car. Also, they're gorgeous cars. Do it!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Kraftwerk posted:

I don't think most car fans have the money for the cars they want their chosen company to make.

"If only car manufacturers would stop focusing on horsepower and just make us a simple, light RWD sports coupe."

*Car manufacturer does exactly that*

"Oh, it's $20k? Man, I can get a REALLY nice used S2000 for that much..."

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

subx posted:

So is the Chrysler 200 2015 out yet? I keep seeing them doing their test drive stuff in front of my house. They have been driving by for about the past 3 weeks (at least on the weekends, I'm not home during the week).
Not for sale yet, but reviews are starting to pop up. Looks like it's a vast improvement.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Kraftwerk posted:

I don't get it, why is Mazda struggling when their cars are winning all these awards? Is it the poor timing because of the new Corolla coming just after the Mazda 3? As a newly minted 2014 Mazda 3 owner this kind of worries me.

One major factor was Mazda makes most of their revenue from exported cars. The Yen was particularly strong the past few years so Mazda made less per car, after conversion.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

"If only car manufacturers would stop focusing on horsepower and just make us a simple, light RWD sports coupe."

Also the endless wads of internet benchracers whining about power, many of who haven't even driven the car and probably would never buy it anyway (at least not new). I've even seen people saying that the car could have made more power without affecting price or handling but this wasn't done because ????

Kraftwerk posted:

In addition to the export/exchange rate stuff, reviews isn't the same as sales. And Mazda's always been a smaller player which means less volume which means less money since their top sellers are stuff like the 3 series and all mass-market compacts have razor-thin margins, plus the car has to be better than a Corolla to stand out since for most buyers the Corolla is the default.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 25, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Brigdh posted:

One major factor was Mazda makes most of their revenue from exported cars. The Yen was particularly strong the past few years so Mazda made less per car, after conversion.

This, practically everyone else has fled the Japanese manufacturing market or at least heavily diversified. Hell, Infiniti's not even technically Japanese any more. Mazda's placing their bets on Mexican manufacture to ensure NA profit going forward: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-27/mazda-pins-u-s-growth-on-mexico-plant-shielded-from-yen.html

Throatwarbler posted:

The only way a rotary could be profitable is if they put it in a new half ton pickup.

Or a Porsche :v:

Also the RX-8 was a strange car that a lot of people never considered for reasons that had little or nothing to do with the engine. It's not like other car manufacturers have rushed to step in with a similar, more conventionally powered vehicle.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If Mazda decides they need a new halo car, they'd be much better served by taking the NC MX-5 platform, making it a hardtop, stretching the wheelbase and widening it a bit, and dropping in a tweaked MZR turbo making around 275-285 HP (a bit more than what the MS6 was making), putting in a sweet upscale interior similar to the new Mazda3's insides, and call it the MX-7, priced at $33k base, with a fully optioned car going up to ~$38k or so. Keep it light and it should easily be one of the highest performance cars in that price segment.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The RX-8 was build on the Mazda NC platform. :ssh:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also the RX-8 was a strange car that a lot of people never considered for reasons that had little or nothing to do with the engine. It's not like other car manufacturers have rushed to step in with a similar, more conventionally powered vehicle.

I feel like the closest car in concept/market segment to the RX-8 was the Delorean.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'd like to know how many people actually didn't care about power, because I test drove one and was completely turned off by the lack of torque and it's why I decided to jump from any sporty vehicle in that price range and was looking at an Optima instead.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

I feel like the closest car in concept/market segment to the RX-8 was the Delorean.

I feel like it's the Panamera and I can assume what the goon take on that is

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'd like to know how many people actually didn't care about power, because I test drove one and was completely turned off by the lack of torque and it's why I decided to jump from any sporty vehicle in that price range and was looking at an Optima instead.

Are we still talking RX-8 or have we switched to FRS/BRZ?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Never understood why Mazda didnt drop a rotary into the MX5 and call it a day. ANY rotary powered MX5 is at the least a riot to drive and very quick. The lackish of torque doesnt matter due to car of light weight, you get the 40Kw the chassis screams for. Whats not to love?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cat Terrist posted:

Never understood why Mazda didnt drop a rotary into the MX5 and call it a day. ANY rotary powered MX5 is at the least a riot to drive and very quick. The lackish of torque doesnt matter due to car of light weight, you get the 40Kw the chassis screams for. Whats not to love?

Probably price and market. It's too small to be a GT but the rotary + emissions will push the price up making it basically the Mazda Exige, which would probably appeal only to the 20 people in the world buying expensive tiny high-power track rats brand new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Snowdens Secret posted:

I feel like it's the Panamera and I can assume what the goon take on that is

Are we still talking RX-8 or have we switched to FRS/BRZ?

I assumed FRS/BRZ.