Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

So maybe I should put together a stack of, I dunno, 3 month or 6 month clothes as my shower gift?

That's fine, but don't go over 6 months. We had people get us 18, 24months and 2T stuff as shower gifts. So, not only did we need to find a place to stash this stuff where we wouldn't have to dig past it each time we got her clothes out, but we needed a place where we would remember that we had this crap because these are the same people who would complain if she didn't eventually wear that stuff. It was pretty annoying, and I still occasionally find stuff that I put away for when it would fit, and now she's outgrown it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Science
Aug 7, 2009

It will destroy you.

RazorBunny posted:

Maybe I'll just get the silly Biohazard creeper and then fill a basket with practical stuff like that. Let the aunties buy clothes.
You've already got a nice long shopping list from the goons, but toys were our favorite gift. Especially the O'Ball Rattle and Lamaze's Mortimer the Moose. Yay! Presents!

Also, thanks for the discussion on pets and kiddos (even if it was getting out of hand). It's nice to know we're not the only ones wracked with guilt over unmanageable animals and soft squishy babies. It's such an awful dilemma...I wish there were more options.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Baby Gas-x is also a really great thing to give. Its one of those things you want at 2am and don't have.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Sophie the giraffe is 30 bucks so I'd never buy it myself but it was a nice gift someone gave us. For our next baby I just want cloth diapers as gifts.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If I have another baby I'd want some maid service paid for as a gift. That'd be awesome even if they only came once or twice.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Hdip posted:

Sophie the giraffe is 30 bucks so I'd never buy it myself but it was a nice gift someone gave us. For our next baby I just want cloth diapers as gifts.

Favourite toy for both our guys. We had to buy a new one because the first one chewed it so much that it was going to fall apart for the second.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sophie the giraffe is god drat crack for babies. I don't know why, it just is.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

RazorBunny posted:

Maybe I'll just get the silly Biohazard creeper and then fill a basket with practical stuff like that. Let the aunties buy clothes.

My husband's cousin put together a basket like that for us, she used a baby bathtub as the basket, filled it with a variety of baby toiletries (like shampoo, babywash), a couple of (I am sure ridiculously expensive) organic hooded bathtowels and some washcloths. I really loved that gift, it was everything I needed to bathe my kid - I think he was 6 months old before I needed to buy lotion or babywash. It's basically what I give for showers now as well, but I tend to add things like the nail kit, some OTC remedies, and lanolin because those are the things you don't think about needing until you need them and then it's 2am and you haven't slept right for days and the idea of driving around to find an all night pharmacy just breaks your brain.

I'm not saying don't buy clothes, if you see something you absolutely love and HAVE to buy, then buy it. But she's going to end up with more tiny clothes than she knows what to do with even without you buying any of it.

Also when it comes to toys: Lamaze's Jacques the Peacock was the poo poo in my house. Everything else paled in comparison for a really, really long time.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
How do you deal with bedtime when travelling with a baby? We'll be going for a 4 day drive when our daughter is 9,5 months, and while she's a great sleeper when she sleeps in her own room, she's easily disturbed, and I can't imagine how we're supposed to deal with her going to sleep at 18-19 when the three of us share one hotel room. Is this just one of those problems without a solution? We're thinking of putting her to bed in the car seat at her usual bedtime and then driving for a couple of hours so that we can go straight to bed all three of us when we arrive each day.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

greatn posted:

Sophie the giraffe is god drat crack for babies. I don't know why, it just is.

This is the truth. We got lucky and got one as a gift from French class. The best thing- if she ever gets lost here, a new one is just a supermarket away.

Edited to add that goddamn peacock, too. She is obsessed.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I've seen the Jacques in action - my craft group does a Secret Santa, and one year my husband drew our friend's baby, so he just went to Toys R Us and bought a pile of toys in the right age range, up to the dollar limit. She loved that freaking peacock.

Unfortunately I think it eventually ended up as an accidental dog toy. RIP Jacques.

I need to start thinking about birthday presents soon too. My sister's nephew and my friend's daughter are both turning three soon. I know he's super into pirates right now and she's obsessed with Barbie and Pingu, so it shouldn't be a difficult shop. If I bust rear end I can finish my fancy pirate costume before his party, but I'm not sure I want to be wearing a lined leather coat in April. Then again, with our weather the way it has been, there will probably still be snow on the ground by then...

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Sockmuppet posted:

How do you deal with bedtime when travelling with a baby?

We use a white noise app on our phones. That seems to keep him asleep while we're talking an moving about. You could also try a pair of these ear protectors on your baby. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Junior-Earmuff-Pink/dp/B0015V1VX8/ref=pd_sim_ba_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=06KKJHTH2BRD3J4MBFGV

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Three months today! We officially belong in this thread now. Kiddo survived his first real bath this morning since the umbilical cord fell off. Did not like water but since kicking and kicking and kicking is cool now, we like water.
Having the water at the right temp instead of 15 degrees cooler also helped, looking back on things.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
It took 3 months for the umbilical stump to fall off? wat.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Has anyone taken video of bedtime for a toddler who can get out of their bed, sped it up, and set it to Benny Hill? Because I think that would work for us right now.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
:D
The mister is behind me now do-do-ing the theme. That's what Liam would look like for sure. Or maybe the Billy dashed line trail from Family Circus.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
hah, first proper "ha ha ha" laugh for David last night, and in it came in his sleep :)

Hobo Lumpkins
Jan 28, 2014

Sometimes I wish I could take all my skin off and writhe about.
Sorry if this has been asked already but didn't see it in the last 10 or so pages.
Sorry if I blab on, have a terrible habit of going into too much detail, anyways..
My now 2 and a half year old son was hospitalized at 17 months old for two weeks due to 40-41°Celsius temps, ended up being discharged with no answers (only that it was a virus of some sort) once they disappeared, it was the hardest two weeks of my life seeing him so ill with no answers.
Now his 8 month old little brother seems to be getting ill (grumpy, rash and crying a lot - saw doc today) and I'm petrified and paranoid of fevers once again and I'm really not sure what thermometer to buy (I'm in Australia), I've read reviews of so many and all have people saying how inaccurate they are and I'm worried the little guy will have a fever and the thermometer won't accurately tell me. Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just not sure what the best type and most accurate for both my boys. I had a Mediscan one which read 38.4°C but 5 minutes later at the hospital he was 41.1°C so I'm thinking to stay away from the infrared head scanning ones.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Rectal readings are very accurate. We just use a good quality digital thermometer, and stick it up babys butt. I hope your baby gets well soon, we're still dealing with the aftermath of a bout of stomach flu last weekend (after basically having weaned herself during the daytime, she now refuses to eat anything but milk, and it has to be straight from the boob, and she's back up to at least two nighttime feeds. It's like she's reverted to the newborn stage, and that's no fun at all. I thought we were done with that! :argh:)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
The ear ones are convenient (we use one) but inaccurate if not put in exactly the right spot. Make sure you check the instructions as 3 degrees is well outside of the normal range of error for one of those.

That said, the previous poster has it right. Rectal temperature is the most accurate test. It can be tricky to do with a wiggly baby though so make sure you get some help.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Favourite toy for both our guys. We had to buy a new one because the first one chewed it so much that it was going to fall apart for the second.

Same. That thing is worth every goddamn penny and I have no idea why. IIRC they may have slightly smaller Sophies for slightly cheaper. I think they might be in the $15-20 range.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We're going to France and I'll be alone with Arthur for a decent chunk of time while my wife is in a conference. What is the best carrier I should get for a ten month old? He'll just have outgrown his Bjorn. He's 90th percentile height and 50th percentile weight.

We're staying very close to Notre Dame so there's a ton of awesome stuff in walking distance and I'm going to want to walk around.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

greatn posted:

We're going to France and I'll be alone with Arthur for a decent chunk of time while my wife is in a conference. What is the best carrier I should get for a ten month old? He'll just have outgrown his Bjorn. He's 90th percentile height and 50th percentile weight.

We're staying very close to Notre Dame so there's a ton of awesome stuff in walking distance and I'm going to want to walk around.

'Best' is going to be subjective - if you have a chance to try wearing him in a couple different ones, that might be a good plan - but I really loved wearing my son in a mei tai, and the only reason I had to stop at around 20 months was his refusal to "be mommy's backpack" for more than a millisecond, not because he was too tall or too heavy for it. (As a bonus, it folds up pretty small, and can even be tied around an adult's waist like an ugly, lumpy belt when not in use.)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I'm going to have my own tantrum now.

ENOUGH WITH THE loving BIRTHDAY PARTIES ALREADY!!!. Jesus christ, every weekend we have a birthday party. Since the year started we have had three weekends without one. My oldest is 4, my youngest is 2 and they have large classes in daycare. Every parent has to send out invitations to every kid in their class and when I tell my wife we should skip some of kids we don't know, I'm told we can't because its rude or that kid came to our party last year or something like that.

STOP, just STOP. I've already said that this year we are going to take my oldest to the zoo for his birthday, and he can invite one or two friends.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Cimber posted:

ENOUGH WITH THE loving BIRTHDAY PARTIES ALREADY!!!. Jesus christ, every weekend we have a birthday party. Since the year started we have had three weekends without one. My oldest is 4, my youngest is 2 and they have large classes in daycare. Every parent has to send out invitations to every kid in their class and when I tell my wife we should skip some of kids we don't know, I'm told we can't because its rude or that kid came to our party last year or something like that.

Huh. Kids in my two-year-old son's music class have gotten invited to at least three birthday parties since he's been there - never the whole class, never my son - and it never occurred to me to think of not inviting the entire class as rude. :confused:

I mean, it's music class, not daycare, but still. If the kids had been doing the inviting, I might have thought that was rude, but the kids never even seem to notice the parents handing out invitations, much less realize that not every parent gets one. (Besides, they're all between 16 and 26 months old, so it's not like some of them are talking about how great so-and-so's party was last weekend and the rest are feeling left out or anything.)

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
At my insistence, birthdays are a dinner out with family occasion. I hate the whole invitation/renting venue/party favors thing with a passion. My kids are welcome to go to other kids birthday parties, and they can invite a slumber-party worth of kids over from time to time. We lot happier with dinner at someplace kind of upscale, and presents chosen by family, rather than whatever plastic crap was on the 15$ and under rack at wal-mart on the way to the party.

Saves a ton of pressure, social gamesmanship, and disappointment. 2 of the last 6 big-venue class-mate birthdays my kids have attended have ended with the birthday kid throwing up and crying.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

greatn posted:

I like the Beco Butterfly II because it's super easy to do a back carry in, and can sort of double as a cloth harness for a chair if you stop somewhere to eat. You can order it off of Amazon. It really is personal, though--like getting a pair of shoes.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
This board (and the internet in general) is male dominated. I'm male, and kiddo birthday parties with 30 kids and Wal Mart cake and a bag full of throwaway poo poo are all stupid. But women disagree, sometimes vehemently, and in our society, women run the kiddo birthday parties.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Thanks for the sexist observations.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Cimber posted:

I'm going to have my own tantrum now.

STOP, just STOP. I've already said that this year we are going to take my oldest to the zoo for his birthday, and he can invite one or two friends.

Your wife is crazy. Just decline the ones you don't want to go to. No one ACTUALLY expects the whole class to come. My kid had 4 birthday party invitations for the next month. I picked the one that was a low-key craft at the house kind of party and declined the rest on the pretense of previously made plans, which was actually true in one case.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Cimber posted:

The rule my wife and I will generally be following is that you can invite over as many friends as you are years old. So this year, for our daughter's second birthday, she will have over 2 friends. We are also going to avoid the everyone-in-the-family invitations past the first year, because we just don't want to host that much.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I forgot we're probably bringing our carriage as well, or at least one of those cheap umbrella ones I can probably fit in a bag. Is walking around with a carriage and a carrier dumb?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Speaking of parties, has anyone ever been to a birthday party for twins? My girls are not old enough to have friends yet, but when the time comes I was thinking of letting them throw sperate parties so that they can each have "their day." Is this a common thing? I assume I am not reinventing the wheel or anything, but I also haven't put much thought into party etiquette yet.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Axiem posted:

The rule my wife and I will generally be following is that you can invite over as many friends as you are years old. So this year, for our daughter's second birthday, she will have over 2 friends. We are also going to avoid the everyone-in-the-family invitations past the first year, because we just don't want to host that much.

Yeah, we were going to adopt that rule, but our toddler doesn't seem to have any friends, so we just had the family over.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Chickalicious posted:

Your wife is crazy. Just decline the ones you don't want to go to. No one ACTUALLY expects the whole class to come. My kid had 4 birthday party invitations for the next month. I picked the one that was a low-key craft at the house kind of party and declined the rest on the pretense of previously made plans, which was actually true in one case.

Agreed. It isn't rude to not attend the party, it's rude to not call and tell them you won't be coming so they can appropriately plan for how many attendees to provide cake for. My son has been to 2 of 9 birthday parties he was invited to since the school year began, the rest I declined because they were for kids he doesn't really seem to hang out with in school, at times that were inconvenient for us, or were being held somewhere that I thought he would have trouble with (my son has special needs, Chuck E. Cheese is like his living nightmare).

No one really expects the entire class to come, and in the case of parties held at playgyms and bounce house joints, they're secretly hoping half of the kids DON'T show because the package deal only includes so many kids and after that point they have to start paying per head.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

greatn posted:

I forgot we're probably bringing our carriage as well, or at least one of those cheap umbrella ones I can probably fit in a bag. Is walking around with a carriage and a carrier dumb?

Having the variety is nice. When you expect crowds, having a carrier is great since you take up less space. Also cobblestone walks with a carriage is a pain. Be aware that many metro stops and tourist sites are not wheelchair/carriage accessible. That said, random strangers will usually help you carry your carriage up and down the stairs if you have trouble.

edit: We liked our Ergo carrier.

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 25, 2014

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I can't stand kids birthday parties, whether my kids are the inviters or the invitees. Hell, I can't stand parties, period. But my wife is obsessed with planning and being the hostess, so we put them on, and the kids enjoy going, so we go.

There's a rule at the kids' school that says that, if invitations are distributed at school, all kids in the class have to be invited - I'm not sure that is really that fantastic an idea, though. I've never known kids to be particularly fantastic at forced inclusion of their peers in social activities.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

sullat posted:

Yeah, we were going to adopt that rule, but our toddler doesn't seem to have any friends, so we just had the family over.

For the second birthday party, we're picking the friends for her. It helps that at our church, there are two toddlers that are a week younger than her and six months younger than her, respectively. They're as much "friends" as a toddler has at that age. And that way, the parents won't be entirely strangers to each other.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Speaking of parties, has anyone ever been to a birthday party for twins? My girls are not old enough to have friends yet, but when the time comes I was thinking of letting them throw sperate parties so that they can each have "their day." Is this a common thing? I assume I am not reinventing the wheel or anything, but I also haven't put much thought into party etiquette yet.

My wife and her brother have the same birthdate, exactly two years apart. As I understood it, growing up they very much kept the days separate. Apparently instead of trying to cluster around the birthday, one of them got the celebration at the 6-month, the other got the celebration at the year.

What I have been told by all the twins I know, though, is that they very much prefer the separate-days thing.

Axiem fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 25, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Blue Moonlight posted:

I can't stand kids birthday parties, whether my kids are the inviters or the invitees. Hell, I can't stand parties, period. But my wife is obsessed with planning and being the hostess, so we put them on, and the kids enjoy going, so we go.

There's a rule at the kids' school that says that, if invitations are distributed at school, all kids in the class have to be invited - I'm not sure that is really that fantastic an idea, though. I've never known kids to be particularly fantastic at forced inclusion of their peers in social activities.

I understand what they're going for but you're right, that is a dumb rule. I'm sure they mean to stop exclusion as a form of bullying, but in reality it just means your kid had to invite their bully to their house. If it's something like Valentine's then yeah everyone gets one, but a birthday party is personal.

greatn fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

greatn posted:

I understand what they're going for but you're right, that is a dumb rule. I'm sure they mean to stop exclusion as a form of bullying, but in reality it just means your kid had to invite their bully to their house.

Or that you have to get your mom to ask his/her mom for contact info. I suspect the "everybody must be invited" thing is social-engineering to keep invitations out of school as a whole. In kindergarten, it doesn't really matter, it isn't like your cliques and social pecking order is all that established, but by 3rd grade, kids know for sures who their friends are and aren't, since they don't want to invite the stinky kids, they don't chew up in-class time with it at all.

The moral of the story is give birth to your children over summer break.