Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I sort of wonder, if Israel ever gets the opportunity to build a third temple, would they resume all rituals like animal sacrifice?

They won't but there are definitely people making plans if it ever happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, it was a joke. But speaking as a European I am not really mad at you for stealing our city names. What's the saying, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

As an European, I also completely agree with that saying. :colbert:

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I suppose the elephant retinue will dominate in melee and be second best at pursue, when the enemy is making GBS threads their pants and running away.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I suppose the elephant retinue will dominate in melee and be second best at pursue, when the enemy is making GBS threads their pants and running away.

In one of the previews for Rajas war elephants had a value of 25 during the melee phase. Don't know if it will be the same when it releases tomorrow.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The phases of combat against elephants will have the following tactics:
  • Huh, What's That Sound?
  • Pants making GBS threads
  • Pants making GBS threads While Running Away

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

DrSunshine posted:

Or if its rome total war, the elephants start killing their own army when pigs are lit afire.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I think in one of the dev videos they showed stats of elephants for a second, and it was something brutal like 20 in all defenses and in melee attack.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm going to make Michigan a de jure kingdom and Toledo will be part of it and you can't stop me

You monster, that territory has been subject to the Western Reserve since time immemorial. It's inhabitants are legitimate Ohioans and will not suffer under the yoke of Michigander oppression. Do not forget the last time we were forced to intervene in your affairs.

We will burn your pitiful Lansing to the ground and retake our rightful territory.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 25, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrSunshine posted:

poo poo yeah bring on the medieval elephants

This happened in antiquity actually, but the drawing's medieval! You can tell because it looks like a 10-year-old drew it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Hell yes elephants. Step on a mongol. Step on all the mongols.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

nutranurse posted:

poo poo yeah bring on the medieval elephants

This happened in antiquity actually, but the drawing's medieval! You can tell because it looks like a 10-year-old drew it.

The Medici's brought the first giraffe into Europe that had been seen since Roman times. Imagine if the the Medici's had brought a rhinoceros. "At long last, the fabled unicorn is found!"

edit: Wait, actually one was given to a Medici pope! Leo X. Dürer's Rhinoceros. That was outside of the timeline of CKII though.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 25, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That is clearly a giant anteater. :colbert:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

QuoProQuid posted:

You monster, that territory has been subject to the Western Reserve since time immemorial. It's inhabitants are legitimate Ohioans and will not suffer under the yoke of Michigander oppression. Do not forget the last time we were forced to intervene in your affairs.

We will burn your pitiful Lansing to the ground and retake our rightful territory.

Hell yeah! Balkanize that poo poo, Toledo is the fifth Rome! Take back the holy clay! Remove cheese!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrSunshine posted:

That is clearly a giant anteater. :colbert:

The story behind the picture is that the Maccabees were fighting the Seleucids and the Seleucids, being way more powerful than a bunch of angry radical Jews, brought a massive army. One of the Maccabees decided to hulk the gently caress out and kill the elephant he thought the Seleucid king was riding (which is absurd cause the king at the time was like a loving child or something), so he ran underneath it and speared the poo poo out of it. Then it fell on top of him and he died too.

None of the Maccabees saw this, though, because they were too busy running away from the massive Greek army and their elephants.

I like to think medieval chroniclers found the story as amusing as I do.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SeaTard posted:

Am I blind, or is it still not possible to order Rajas on Steam?

I don't think Paradox has ever had DLC available for preorder. You just buy it when it comes out.

I'm so excited for tomorrow, you guys :holy: I've always been whatever the Indian version of a weeaboo is, so this expansion is basically a dream come true.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

In case this was not a joke, there is a city named Toledo in what is now the state of Ohio. It was given to them by the state of Michigan, who in return got the area north of Wisconsin by the Federal government.

US is weird like that, if you take a map and point at any European city, you'll also probably find it somewhere in Illinois.

And classical cities in the South, like Troy, Alabama or ROme, Georgia.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

LunarShadow posted:

And classical cities in the South, like Troy, Alabama or ROme, Georgia.

There's also a lot of classical names in upstate New York.

Edit: One of my favorite strange town names is Florida, Massachusetts. Especially since they pretty much just named it Florida because everyone was talking about Florida a lot when they needed to come up with a name:

quote:

Most of what is now Florida was originally a grant to the town of Bernardston, Massachusetts, made sometime before 1771. The first settler, Dr. Daniel Nelson, arrived around 1783. The town was incorporated in 1805 and named "Florida", perhaps because Spanish Florida was a topic of conversation at the time.[2][3]

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rincewind posted:

There's also a lot of classical names in upstate New York.

There's a Sebastopol in California. Not too far from where I live, actually!

nutranurse posted:

The story behind the picture is that the Maccabees were fighting the Seleucids and the Seleucids, being way more powerful than a bunch of angry radical Jews, brought a massive army. One of the Maccabees decided to hulk the gently caress out and kill the elephant he thought the Seleucid king was riding (which is absurd cause the king at the time was like a loving child or something), so he ran underneath it and speared the poo poo out of it. Then it fell on top of him and he died too.

None of the Maccabees saw this, though, because they were too busy running away from the massive Greek army and their elephants.

Haha! That is a hilarious story, though, the irony is fantastic.

Also, I didn't know that the Greeks used war elephants! Pretty neat.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 25, 2014

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

DrSunshine posted:

Also, I didn't know that the Greeks used war elephants! Pretty neat.

Well not like, geographically Greek. The Seleucids were one of the successor empires to Alexander's, the furthest west they went was non-coastal Anatolia.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Pyrrhus of Epirus pretty famously used war elephants during his Italian campaign.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

nutranurse posted:

:allears: Hang on, so did he kill it, and not just wound it?

And yeah, medieval art is great, in a rubbish "10yr-old's failed attempt at drawing with his/her eyes closed" kind of way. Check out Sexgun Rasputin's avatar, for instance!

(Also, does anyone know how much the RoI DLC will be? Standard $25 or whatever Sword of Islam was, or more because it adds a whole sub-continent to the map? Sorry if this is a stupid question - I've just been out of the loop with CK2 for most of this year, so I haven't seen any price estimates or anything like that)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Guessing $15, that seems to be standard for the Big Expansions.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Guessing $15, that seems to be standard for the Big Expansions.

Excellent, better than I was expecting - I must've mis-remembered SoI's price. Well, I know what'll be reclaiming my Steam game 'most-played' throne!

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Speaking of preorders, GamersGate usually has the DLCs for preorder.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DLC-CK2ROI/crusader-kings-ii-rajas-of-india

No discount or anything, but a small bonus of blue coins.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

:allears: Hang on, so did he kill it, and not just wound it?

And yeah, medieval art is great, in a rubbish "10yr-old's failed attempt at drawing with his/her eyes closed" kind of way.
What is up with that? Just about all art that I can think of, from every time peroid before and after, as well as from all other regions of the world is vastly superior to that of mideval Europe.

I took a semester art history course in college and my professor went over all the symbolism inherent in the work, but he didn't hide his disdain saying "most of it's objectively bad". But then again, he was a pretty bad professor himself.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Speaking of Zoroastrians, how does one survive the starting old gods date as them. the longest I got was about 40 years before every Sunni holly wared me

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Charlz Guybon posted:

What is up with that? Just about all art that I can think of, from every time peroid before and after, as well as from all other regions of the world is vastly superior to that of mideval Europe.

I took a semester art history course in college and my professor went over all the symbolism inherent in the work, but he didn't hide his disdain saying "most of it's objectively bad". But then again, he was a pretty bad professor himself.

We've talked about it in the ancient history thread a few times if you're curious for some other opinions (and they do differ from mine a bit) but a few things: 1. there was a stylistic change, favoring abstraction where before and after realism had been more valued 2. as most art became entwined with Christianity, it became ritualized and spiritual connection (e.g. in Byzantine idolatry) was valued over technical skill 3. paper became rarer making practice and artistic training harder and 4. there was still good art and we often just don't focus on it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Koramei posted:

We've talked about it in the ancient history thread a few times if you're curious for some other opinions (and they do differ from mine a bit) but a few things: 1. there was a stylistic change, favoring abstraction where before and after realism had been more valued 2. as most art became entwined with Christianity, it became ritualized and spiritual connection (e.g. in Byzantine idolatry) was valued over technical skill 3. paper became rarer making practice and artistic training harder and 4. there was still good art and we often just don't focus on it.
1-2
There's plenty of abstract art that looks great. The same can be said for spiritual and ritual art.

4 Examples?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Koramei posted:

As you get later and later in Roman history, you can really see the art style gradually start to shift from Classical to medieval.

A fun activity: Try starting at, oh, say, Commodus and keep on clicking through Roman emperors and looking at how portraiture gradually got more and more stylized and abstract.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Charlz Guybon posted:

1-2
There's plenty of abstract art that looks great. The same can be said for spiritual and ritual art.

4 Examples?

I'm going to guess lot of them from Illuminated Manuscripts, the Monks literally turned Calligraphy into an art form unto it's own (and it's illustrations tends to be better)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Charlz Guybon posted:

1-2

4 Examples?

The Bayeux Tapestry? The Book of Kells? There's lots of cool European medieval art. It's not that it was bad so much as that our modern taste in aesthetics is deeply grounded in the Northern and Italian renaissances which passionately eschewed it.

Also motherfucking cathedrals, although I guess that might be outside of the scope of what we're discussing. It does make me wonder why Pdox never put in anything referencing them into CK2, though. A multigeneration event chain in which you build a cathedral holding would be dope as hell.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
There is something to be said for the mediums involved. We don't really know what sort of painting was used in antiquities, as the elements have pretty much destroyed most paintings from the age of the Greek city states and the Roman Empire. What we have instead are mosaics, which are of similar quality to surviving medieval painting, and sculpture. Greek and Roman sculpture is pretty awesome. But even the Romans are often considered inferior to the heights of Greek sculpture. Further decline at the end of the Roman period in the west doesn't seem particularly unprecedented. In the Eastern Roman empire, you have the issue of the iconoclasts doing a lot of damage to the tradition of sculpture.

Still! A lot of medieval sculpture is actually great. However, the changing economics and social structure led to a move away from artists as a profession in and of themselves. Instead, you had craftsmen whose focus was more practical being hired by the church to create according to specific strictures, without an established tradition of artistry. But back to the mediums. Most medieval painting is done with an egg-based pigment, which is a notoriously tricky medium even for the most skilled painters. In the hands of what might be considered today to be hobbyists, it made painting a laborious process.

The Renaissance is notable for both the economics to allow for professional artists and for the invention of oil paint, the combination of which made for a revolutionary shift in the quality of painting.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
How the Irish Cathars saved civilization, part something:

(this happened seven months later, I kid you not)

Then I found this next door:

I've seen mercenaries take over Jerusalem, take over Pisa, but never a Republic AS a Republic. Someone didn't pay their bills I guess?

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 25, 2014

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
I got spawn camped by the AI :(

Not sure if it was just clunky game mechanics, or working as intended. I had moved my capital to Gotland, and while I was off fighting the Poles, a couple of rear end in a top hat dukes rebelled like rear end in a top hat dukes usually do, and one of them parked a stack of 700 men on Gotland.

I placed an order at mercenaries.com, and hoped that customer service would figure out not to deliver it to my residential address. But no. The stack of 3.500 mercenaries got dumped on Gotland with zero morale, so the duke’s 700 men only had to shout “boo” for the mercenaries to run away in terror.

Is there some mechanic that says if your capital is a single province island, then that’s the only place where mercenaries will be delivered no matter what? Because that meant that the AI could just spawn camp me until I ran out of money.

Oh well, the new patch is out today, so I won’t be continuing that game anyway.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I got spawn camped by the AI :(

Not sure if it was just clunky game mechanics, or working as intended. I had moved my capital to Gotland, and while I was off fighting the Poles, a couple of rear end in a top hat dukes rebelled like rear end in a top hat dukes usually do, and one of them parked a stack of 700 men on Gotland.

I placed an order at mercenaries.com, and hoped that customer service would figure out not to deliver it to my residential address. But no. The stack of 3.500 mercenaries got dumped on Gotland with zero morale, so the duke’s 700 men only had to shout “boo” for the mercenaries to run away in terror.

Is there some mechanic that says if your capital is a single province island, then that’s the only place where mercenaries will be delivered no matter what? Because that meant that the AI could just spawn camp me until I ran out of money.

Oh well, the new patch is out today, so I won’t be continuing that game anyway.

Yes, this is how it works. Happened to me in my Venice game as well. Basically, if you have your capital on a one-province island you should make drat sure that it does not get occupied or you will be unable to hire mercs/holy orders.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Yes, this is how it works. Happened to me in my Venice game as well. Basically, if you have your capital on a one-province island you should make drat sure that it does not get occupied or you will be unable to hire mercs/holy orders.

It's also the one nice thing about attacking Venice - if you can win the beach landing, you have it made.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fuligin posted:

The Bayeux Tapestry? The Book of Kells? There's lots of cool European medieval art. It's not that it was bad so much as that our modern taste in aesthetics is deeply grounded in the Northern and Italian renaissances which passionately eschewed it.

Also motherfucking cathedrals, although I guess that might be outside of the scope of what we're discussing. It does make me wonder why Pdox never put in anything referencing them into CK2, though. A multigeneration event chain in which you build a cathedral holding would be dope as hell.

I agree, all three of those things are awesome examples of art, which make the lovely paintings all the more perplexing.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
I'm no expert in medieval art, but aren't a lot of surviving examples of it just amateur doodles made by scribes in manuscripts? I suspect artistic training wasn't a high priority at the monasteries of the time.

EDIT:

Thrasophius posted:

I can only presume they are doing this for the elephants otherwise I see India going all Hannibal Barca on Europe.

"Crusader Kings II: Never be a friend of the Karlings"

Zoinker fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 25, 2014

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

The devs said that they where having special troop attrition put in eventually and terrain penalties for them. For example the camel warriors will suck when not in dessert terrain and that sort of thing. I can only presume they are doing this for the elephants otherwise I see India going all Hannibal Barca on Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
What time is Rajas due to be released?

• Locked thread