Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
The pilots have been crucified in the press and chances are that they spent their last moments on earth trying to save that plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

bonestructure posted:

The pilots have been crucified in the press and chances are that they spent their last moments on earth trying to save that plane.

Welcome to the media circus.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

bonestructure posted:

Yeah but they had funny sounding Muslim names so who cares

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I can't loving understand why they are choosing to handle it this way. At least wait until they can share the data that explains how they can come to this conclusion. Right now they are basically saying "hey brah chill, look that plane crashed, i got sources trust me brao" combined with how absolutely loving hilariously bad they handled the whole investigation to begin with........it's no wonder people are not believing it.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Dumb question: if there were some type of electrical fire would decompressing at 45k feet slow the fire? Or do people have a lot higher minimum oxygen level than a fire and fire does not care?

The climb to 45k had to be intentional from what I've learned I think anyway.

Captain decompresses/climbs to kill fire hopes everyone will be OK on oxygen masks for a bit but fire or smoke or low o2 kills everyone?

(Or fire kills all comms and most controls and everyone's alive for their trip to the ocean)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 25, 2014

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Dumb question: if there were some type of electrical fire would decompressing at 45k feet slow the fire? Or do people have a lot higher minimum oxygen level than a fire and fire does not care?

Captain decompresses/climbs to kill fire hopes everyone will be OK on oxygen masks for a bit but fire or smoke or low o2 kills everyone?

(Or fire kills all comms and most controls and everyone's alive for their trip to the ocean)

the climb to 45k may also not have happened at all due to uncertainty in the military radar.

and i'd assume an experienced pilot would know whether or not a certain altitude would kill people.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
The biggest mystery is why they went to the southern Indian ocean. What was the motive in going there?

Maybe they were looking for that secret island in Dazed and Confused and kept going: http://imgur.com/zcnZGHt,ohhxe80,P6YhV5W#2

Because there is no other drat reason to go there. It doesn't matter how nutty a hijacker is, they just wouldn't head there.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
What happened was the reverse of the Air France flight, the pilot was constantly pushing the stick forward which somehow made the plane fly up up up and now it's cruising around space.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

I can't loving understand why they are choosing to handle it this way. At least wait until they can share the data that explains how they can come to this conclusion. Right now they are basically saying "hey brah chill, look that plane crashed, i got sources trust me brao" combined with how absolutely loving hilariously bad they handled the whole investigation to begin with........it's no wonder people are not believing it.

Take a hit to your perceived competence now by giving up, and then one more time when they find 200 people loving on top of a pile of luggage on a deserted island vs. getting poo poo on continuously for the next 2 years as you continue to fail at everything.

It's basically "We're sticking to one story because if we're wrong we're only wrong once".

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 25, 2014

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

toe knee hand posted:

and i'd assume an experienced pilot would know whether or not a certain altitude would kill people.

Fire has hosed up lots of things and this is the last chance effort he knows they'll be able to survive for a certain amount of time on oxygen masks, is it plausible? Could he have done that to try and kill a fire that had already knocked out all comms except the engine's transponders?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Fire has hosed up lots of things and this is the last chance effort he knows they'll be able to survive for a certain amount of time on oxygen masks, is it plausible? Could he have done that to try and kill a fire that had already knocked out all comms except the engine's transponders?

sounds unlikely. more likely the military radar was wrong, no? that doesn't mean there wasn't a fire or some sort of equipment failure, just that the elevation gain which may not have even happened at all makes very little sense in any potential scenario.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

how loving lovely is that radar

"hey he climbed to 45,000 ft! woops now he's at -11,000 ft! now he's at NaN!"

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Fallom posted:

p much

now you know if you ever want to invade southeast asia

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Fallom posted:

How loving lovely is all that tech from the 70s?

I loved how hypothetical locations of that plane changed like the back and forth offers on Pawn Stars and now suddenly they're cutting it off like "ok gently caress it your loved ones are dead you have 15 minutes to get out of our hotel since we have a formula one event coming up sorry kthxbye". This would have been WAY more believable if they'd investigated one lead for a week or two at that point, but those leads changed every five minutes.

Plus there are less tone deaf ways of dealing with the friends and relatives. Don't send a text message, fully explain your reasoning, address the need for further investigations and so on. I'm not going to consider using Malaysian airlines or going to that country for the next 20 years or so and I'm sure others won't either.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

I'm holding out hope that the pilots created a solar powered plane and it's still flying around. They're going to land in a few weeks to praise and adulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

PS why don't we have nuclear powered/solar powered planes anyway? We have nuke submarines but nuclear planes would be a lot cleaner and could fly in perpetuity.

Because when it crashes you've now spread radioactive materials over a couple square miles. The US already almost nuked itself in the 60s and was prevented from doing so by a single electrical switch that cost less than ten bucks. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/08/eric-schlosser-command-control-excerpt-nuclear-weapons

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

flavor posted:

I'm not going to consider using Malaysian airlines or going to that country for the next 20 years or so and I'm sure others won't either.

yea other countries are p much terrible you should just never leave the US that'll be better for everyone you.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Fallom posted:

He's all over the place! Nine hundred feet up to 1300 feet. What an rear end in a top hat!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

toe knee hand posted:

yea other countries are p much terrible you should just never leave the US that'll be better for everyone you.

You have no idea what country I'm from and what countries I'm visiting, you SJW.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Low oxygen environs typically put out a fire before it knocks out a person, but if it's an electrical fire coming back to normal oxygen would possibly allow it to reignite if the electricity wasn't cut off, or if the fire had an oxidizer other than atmospheric air.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

flavor posted:

you SJW.

:allears:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
literally everyone with some position of authority or technical expertise has basically attempted to show competency while actually just coming off looking like idiots

its supremely hilarious in a way.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Well, you've been projecting your bullshit on me, so...

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

toe knee hand posted:

yeah let's just file that under useful information

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

feel good event of the season

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

toe knee hand posted:

p much

John McCain still managed to get shot down

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Zogo posted:

PS why don't we have nuclear powered/solar powered planes anyway? We have nuke submarines but nuclear planes would be a lot cleaner and could fly in perpetuity.

great idea let's have a nuclear powered ghost plane flying around the earth forever until it crashes in to some other nuclear plane and irradiates everyone for miles

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Bubble-T posted:

great idea let's have a nuclear powered ghost plane flying around the earth forever until it crashes in to some other nuclear plane and irradiates everyone for miles

carbon neutral.

But seriously if this radiation thing ever did get out of hand we could have nuclear powered other aircraft with big nets to catch the ghost planes and haul them up to space before they became a problem.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
Okay so Malaysia said they're dead. This means what? The people who know what they're doing aren't going to stop, I would hope.

I'm hoping this is just Malaysia saying, "gently caress it, we're out."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

Because when it crashes you've now spread radioactive materials over a couple square miles.

Bubble-T posted:

How much damage would be done compared to that of a nuclear power plant meltdown as recently happened in Japan?

I have to wonder how long a plane could fly with nuclear power without making a pit stop.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Disconnecticus posted:

Okay so Malaysia said they're dead. This means what? The people who know what they're doing aren't going to stop, I would hope.

I'm hoping this is just Malaysia saying, "gently caress it, we're out."

Searching can continue, but it is less urgent. It is a recovery mission, not a rescue mission.

Mainly it seems to be telling the families to give up hope. Daddy isn't coming home. Hold your memorial services and get on with your lives.

Also probably for legal purposes. If they are legally declared dead you can start collecting life insurance payouts. Widow's pensions. That sort of thing.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
What the gently caress is it with the Malaysian Press and flashbulbs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

*small asian man walks by in background wearing a duster, flash bulb pops and reflects off the press card tucked into his hat band*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Malaysian dudes just said they announced it via SMS to make sure that the families would get it from them instead of anyone else.

Elphiem posted:

The biggest mystery is why they went to the southern Indian ocean. What was the motive in going there?

The likely scenario is that there was an on board fire, the pilots turned the plane southwest to head back to Malaysia, and then the pilots became incapacitated and the plane just kept flying on

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

bonestructure posted:

someone must be sacrificed for the sake of the masses

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
And default ringtones / text chimes that should be on mute. Total loving B team over there.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
least surprising development thus far: it crashed into the ocean somewhere

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I'd like to thank the news media for pushing conspiracy theories for weeks instead of listening to rather plausible theories by actual pilots as to what had probably happened.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Did the Indian ocean try to rape the plane?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Like a single white girl who fell down the well, also with tons of asians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Evil_Greven posted:

I'd like to thank the news media for pushing conspiracy theories for weeks instead of listening to rather plausible theories by actual pilots as to what had probably happened.

From a friend that flies for NorthWest:

quote:

Watched news of the Malaysia Air disappearance .... Has anyone considered the ELT's being activated? (Emergency locator transmitters). You cannot deactivate them from the cockpit , and they are set off due to hard impacts with ground or water. If the plane crashed these would have gone of and you could locate the wreckage .

I have not seen one "expert" on tv mention this yet. When activated they send out a signal that can be picked up a very long distance .
So if the plane did not crash, perhaps it landed somewhere. Or perhaps it was abducted by illegal aliens and now is in a chop shop south of Juarez ...

• Locked thread