Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

FAUXTON posted:

Depends on whether it was stored open or not, too. I have a jar of Tsuki-Yo that I neglected for several months on a shelf and aside from ink gluing the cap shut requiring pliers to open, it's just fine.

That said, you should just buy new ink because why not.

I did. Noodlers eel blue is on the way! Noodler's is good poo poo right?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

cobalt impurity posted:

Ink can go bad, but it's due to a few different factors.
  • How is it being stored?
  • How much preservative went into it when it was being made?
  • Do you ever pour old ink back into the bottle?
  • Is it exposed to excessive heat or sunlight?

I have seen bottles of ink go moldy in a month because they're lovely inks with inadequate preservation. On the other hand, I have a bottle of ink in my possession from the 1960s that was an ordinary working ink and it still works a dream. Your ink will be fine, just keep it out of direct sunlight and never, ever pour any ink back into the bottle, even if you didn't put it in a pen or if it's just been in a pen for a couple of days.

Sheaffer Skrip from the 60s = A-OK

Brand new bottle of Private Reserve makes my Vista grow green fuzz in under a month

:v:

On the plus side I bought a small ultrasonic and was able to get all the crud out and sterilize the pen.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

I did. Noodlers eel blue is on the way! Noodler's is good poo poo right?

Yeah, it's great ink. Occasionally you may run across a pen (typically low-quality stuff like Hero) that writes exceedingly wet with it (I.e. too much gets onto the paper, nib creep, etc), and the guy who runs the brand is a bugfuck crazy goldbug-type guy*, but the ink is second to none as long as your pen gets along. Tons of colors, too.

*Dude's not sending :tinfoil: letters with each bottle or anything, he just likes to ramble a bit during some of his demo videos. If you don't care to view his YouTube videos you'd probably never know.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

FAUXTON posted:

If you don't care to view his YouTube videos you'd probably never know.

Unless you bought any of the Bernanke inks and read the label. :v:

Some of his label designs are really somethin' else.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ahhh! I love fountain pens and fancy paper! I cant wait to take notes and make lists at work tomorrow.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Have some cool poo poo:

Pelikan nibs under an electron microscope.

The logo up close.

The business end of the nib, top side.

UncleNick on FPN has this to say:

quote:

The greyscale in the image is related to mean atomic weight, the gold nib is the brightest, the two phase tungsten-rich tip is the next brightest and the dark patches are actually material that has collected in pits or pores (ink or the original polishing materials). The tip is very similar, in both composition and morphology, to those found in ballpoint balls.

And I don't know if this is old news for this thread or not, but back in 2005 some scientists created the "world's smallest fountain pen" that can draw lines a hundred times thinner than a red blood cell.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Does anyone have any tips for writing on things requiring significant pressure like checks or other carbon papers? I know that back in the day it was typical for office workers to have a nail-hard nib just for that, but I don't really want to keep even more pens inked up (Right now I have two, both Metros-one in 54th Mass and one in Black Swan in English Roses) since I really only write one check a month and only occasionally have to fill out carbon copies and I think a nail-hard pen would just end up drying out which wastes ink and means I'd end up having to grab a ballpoint anyway.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.
Whenever I have to write on carbon copy appear I just borrow someone's ballpoint. From what I understand a pilot posting nib can be used on carbon paper. Would I get a posting nib just for that? Probably not.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I have a Retro 51 Tornado "Metalsmith" roller ball pen for cases like that so at least I can enjoy a nice writing experience when I am writing on fountain pen unfriendly paper.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Magnus Praeda posted:

Does anyone have any tips for writing on things requiring significant pressure like checks or other carbon papers? I know that back in the day it was typical for office workers to have a nail-hard nib just for that, but I don't really want to keep even more pens inked up (Right now I have two, both Metros-one in 54th Mass and one in Black Swan in English Roses) since I really only write one check a month and only occasionally have to fill out carbon copies and I think a nail-hard pen would just end up drying out which wastes ink and means I'd end up having to grab a ballpoint anyway.

I have a cheap ballpoint that lives next to my real pens in my purse just for carbon forms.

If I kept a fountain pen with a special nib inked for that it'd be gunked up before I used it twice.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I like to keep things simple. I have a TWSBI Diamond minis friend gave me, two Lamy Safari, and my most expensive pen, a Sailor 1911 midsize.

Not too many that they all get neglected, but enough to keep them fresh.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cobalt impurity posted:

Unless you bought any of the Bernanke inks and read the label. :v:

Some of his label designs are really somethin' else.

Yeah, I can't spoil every surprise :v:

Bernanke's label and the Rome Burning label are both hella :tinfoil:.

Rome Burning is a crazy ink though so it's only fitting to have a crazy label. orange-red which turns to purple in water EXCESS LIQUIDITY REVEALS THE PATRICIAN COLOR.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
The Rome Burning video was my first exposure to Nathan Tardiff and I remember thinking he'd managed to bottle and sell talk radio.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

All right, something hosed up just happened with the Noodler's Konrad pen I just got and I have to ask. It was really hosed up and wasn't writing well at all, it needed a lot of pressure and was skipping a lot. Then the end just exploded ink everywhere and now it writes perfectly. Did I not clean it out well enough? I know Noodler's pens have oils and crap left over in them, but I flushed the pen with 1:3 ammonia and water for a few minutes before I filled it.

e: I mean I *just* got it, flushed it last night and filled it a few hours ago.

Remora fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 25, 2014

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Meldonox posted:

The Rome Burning video was my first exposure to Nathan Tardiff and I remember thinking he'd managed to bottle and sell talk radio.

I almost died reading this. Rome Burning was my first, too. I am still in awe that he writes with a pocket knife.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Nathan Tardiff is a national treasure. He's like your weird right wing wingnut uncle, but he channels all that political rage into making ink.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I had my Konrad burp like that once. I think it might just have something to do with the air pressure in the barrel getting weird. I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

pienipple posted:

Nathan Tardiff is a national treasure. He's like your weird right wing wingnut uncle, but he channels all that political rage into making ink.

At least it's harmless. He could make fertilizer bombs or something.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

At least it's harmless. He could make fertilizer bombs or something.

That's why it's so hard to get all angry and boycott-happy against Noodler's over the :tinfoil:ness of Nathan. It's good ink and unless you really want the niche qualities of Bernanke or Rome Burning it's just harmless rambling. You need to actually make an effort to find the tinfoil, most people just think Noodler's is just a quirky little ink company that pays attention to more than just color (polar, x-feather, permanence, etc).

At least he's not wrapping every bottle in bitcoin evangelist tracts. Hell, he probably thinks bitcoin is another layer of the bilderberg conspiracy to imprint the electronic payment mark of the beast on everyone or whatever.

Bottom line Noodler's is great ink and Nathan's kookiness is like the toy in the crackerjack box. Totally benign, but you gotta admire how unabashedly out there it is. The knife is a good way to "spread" the ink and get a big swath of color.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

FAUXTON posted:

That's why it's so hard to get all angry and boycott-happy against Noodler's over the :tinfoil:ness of Nathan. It's good ink and unless you really want the niche qualities of Bernanke or Rome Burning it's just harmless rambling. You need to actually make an effort to find the tinfoil, most people just think Noodler's is just a quirky little ink company that pays attention to more than just color (polar, x-feather, permanence, etc).

At least he's not wrapping every bottle in bitcoin evangelist tracts. Hell, he probably thinks bitcoin is another layer of the bilderberg conspiracy to imprint the electronic payment mark of the beast on everyone or whatever.

Bottom line Noodler's is great ink and Nathan's kookiness is like the toy in the crackerjack box. Totally benign, but you gotta admire how unabashedly out there it is. The knife is a good way to "spread" the ink and get a big swath of color.

I don't know what you guys are talking about.

But gently caress if it doesn't figure I find a blue color called 54th Massachusetts AFTER I order Blue Eel. What are his 'lubricating' inks vs. bulletproof inks?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Videogames posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about.

But gently caress if it doesn't figure I find a blue color called 54th Massachusetts AFTER I order Blue Eel. What are his 'lubricating' inks vs. bulletproof inks?

Bulletproof is anti-fraud. It's designed to be utterly permanent on paper, can't bleach it out, scrape it off, chemically remove it, etc.

Lubricating inks, I imagine, are there if you really love fountain pens :v:.

Or maybe they're just a formulation that's supposed to be particularly well-behaved in pens with converters or plungers. That's my guess.

As for Nathan's kookiness, don't worry about it. He's kind of the perfect sort of kook, where he isn't trying to foist it on you in everyday conduct. If you really want to see what we're talking about, take a look at his Bernanke ink or Rome Burning ink. Both are a little :tinfoil: about central banking/THE FED/"the elites" etc.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 25, 2014

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Bulletproof is anti-fraud. It's designed to be utterly permanent on paper, can't bleach it out, scrape it off, chemically remove it, etc.

Lubricating inks, I imagine, are there if you really love fountain pens :v:.

Or maybe they're just a formulation that's supposed to be particularly well-behaved in pens with converters or plungers. That's my guess.

To add, the lubricating inks have a lubricating fluid added to them to keep converters or internal filling mechanisms moving. It still helps to get some actual silicone grease on those parts if you can disassemble your pen, but the lubed inks help. And it should be noted that the lubricating agent is some kind of frog extract, if that kind of thing would bother you.

Bulletproof inks are for if you absolutely, positively never want that ink to come off the paper. Mostly useful for notes or documents that will be in labs or otherwise exposed to liquids or solvents. poo poo, even lasers can't remove the "true bulletproof" inks! It also helps if you think people are going to steal and wash your checks. :tinfoil:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
frog extract? I thought it just had extra glycerin.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Is it the sort of frog extract that can cause me to trip balls if I put it on a stamp and eat it?

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

The knife is a good way to "spread" the ink and get a big swath of color.

I know, but it's still kinda crazy to actually write words that way.

But I love his inks. I like 54th and the Black Swans.

milpreve fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 26, 2014

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

milpreve posted:

I know, but it's still kinda crazy to actually write words that way.

Caesar. No it's not really related but there you go.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Please don't forget that if you spill bulletproof ink on your stuff you will cry.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Yeah I don't use it in case of a leak, refilling issue, or if I get ink on myself and don't notice.

I'm really not someone who worries about my rear end in a top hat cheques getting bleached.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't care about bulletproofness at all myself, cheques probably went out of style in the 70s here. Never used one in my life. Some water resistance would be nice though, so I got BSB for that, also because it's beatiful, but I tend to use Eel blue more than anything else.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.
Anyone here own an Edison? I'm thinking about getting a Pearl with a 14k flex nib. How's the quality of the finish? From what I understand the customer service is second to none. I also like my pens buttery smooth.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Why is my TWSBI mini getting loads of condensation inside the cap?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Joe Videogames posted:

Why is my TWSBI mini getting loads of condensation inside the cap?

That could be just from evaporation of the water in the ink contained in the nib, or it could be left over water from washing the pen out. It's no big deal really just wipe it out, it happens pretty regularly when I'm lazy with drying my pens.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Is there a good rollerball pen that can use bottled FP ink? And that is not Noodlers.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is there a good rollerball pen that can use bottled FP ink? And that is not Noodlers.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Rollerball_Pens_s/883.htm
No idea about quality, unfortunately, but they're a starting point.

I wish there was a deep red/burgundy bulletproof ink. It would be great for marking exams and essays.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

His Divine Shadow posted:

The one that came with my BSB was ok until it stopped working due to my mishandling of the pen. Over time, the rollerball attachment would get loose and I would press the whole pen down on paper not knowing that I was probably pressing inwards the rollerball therefore eventually disabling the mechanism.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yeah I don't use it in case of a leak, refilling issue, or if I get ink on myself and don't notice.

I'm really not someone who worries about my rear end in a top hat cheques getting bleached.

If you get it on yourself it'll wash off, it needs to come in contact with certain things (paper, cotton, etc.) to become permanent. Unless by getting it on yourself you meant your shirt or whatever, then yeah, that'd suck.

Also I think the Eel inks (the lubricated ones) are bulletproof. At least I'm pretty sure I've seen that claim somewhere, but I gave my Eel Black to someone else when I got HoD and never properly tested it out.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Brightman posted:

If you get it on yourself it'll wash off, it needs to come in contact with certain things (paper, cotton, etc.) to become permanent. Unless by getting it on yourself you meant your shirt or whatever, then yeah, that'd suck.

Also I think the Eel inks (the lubricated ones) are bulletproof. At least I'm pretty sure I've seen that claim somewhere, but I gave my Eel Black to someone else when I got HoD and never properly tested it out.

According to the spreadsheet, Black Eel is bulletproof but the other Eels aren't.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Thelonious Monk posted:

Anyone here own an Edison? I'm thinking about getting a Pearl with a 14k flex nib. How's the quality of the finish? From what I understand the customer service is second to none. I also like my pens buttery smooth.

I recently snagged a Collier with a 1.5mm stub, and it's fantastic. Smooth writer, and it's not a hard-starter like my TWSBI stubs are.
The pen is acrylic and gorgeous as can be. The one thing that caught me a bit off guard was how huge the thing is, though the Pearl is significantly smaller.

By 14k flex you mean one of Richard Binder's nibs, yeah? Let me know how it is if you end up pulling the trigger. I've been interested in one of those for a while now.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Solumin posted:

According to the spreadsheet, Black Eel is bulletproof but the other Eels aren't.

The only one of the eel series I have is Purple Heart and while it does come off paper, I permenantly stained a pair of khakis with it. Most of the ink washed out, but there's a pink dye in there somewhere that just won't quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Brightman posted:

If you get it on yourself it'll wash off, it needs to come in contact with certain things (paper, cotton, etc.) to become permanent. Unless by getting it on yourself you meant your shirt or whatever, then yeah, that'd suck

I'm more worried about getting it on myself and not noticing, then touching things that don't need ink on them.