Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ulfhednar posted:

It came from tumblr

drat it. I like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Galler posted:

What economy sedan engines (which was the purpose of that engine) were significantly better than the 3800 during the mid 90s to early 00s to the point that the 3800 could be considered as terrible as claimed?

The Nissan, Toyota, and Honda (and even the Mitsubishi) V6s were all much better, as was the big inline six Ford used in the AU Falcon.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

In what ways? I'm being serious I have no knowledge about any of those so I want to know what I'm missing. This thread is literally the first time I've ever heard people not raving about the 3800 or 4.0 let alone hating on them.

e: trying to find these competing engines but most of what I'm finding are either way lower in torque or much newer and many were only used in vehicles I've never heard of.

Galler fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 25, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Terrible Robot posted:

I count 12 plastic chain-guides, 1012 pulleys, and 4 chains ...and a partridge in a pear-tree....

What the gently caress :vince:

e: I mean, I know it's an Audi. Only the idiotic wunderkind at VAG could come up with something that diabolical. It's all at the rear of the engine, too, isn't it?

This thread is a goldmine of Audi-isms. (Audism?) :spergin:

quote:

It's not your chain, its the Tensioners / Guides
When you hear of chain failure in the S4 motor it is in fact the cam adjusters, chain tensioners, and chain guides that wear out / break. There have been no issues to our knowledge of an actual chain snapping.

quote:

The Camshaft Adjustment is hydraulically adjusted and controlled by the engine oil pressure. If the engine has been turned off for a long time, the oil pressure drops down and the oil partially flows back into the oil sump. To ensure an efficient camshaft adjustment right after an engine cold start, the oil pressure inside the camshaft adjusters must be built up as fast as possible. During this time, a rattle or knocking noise may be noticeable.

This noise is normal at engine start and will last until the oil pressure is fully built up, which takes about 1-2 seconds. There is no applicable production solution.

quote:

Based on the list prices above the Total Cost of a complete overhaul for PARTS ONLY (No Tools) will be:
A. Slightly above $3,000 with the Cam Adjusters
B. Right around $2,000 without the Cam Adjusters

Therefore, if you plan to do all of the work yourself you can have it done for the cost of parts you replace.

Bonus:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

:catstare:

I'm getting flashbacks to the chain guides breaking on my VR6.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You know it would be almost forgivable to have that Rube Goldberg contraption of chains and tensioners on the back of the engine if it would last for 150-200,000 miles. But since it's Audi, you know damned well they're good for 50k tops.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My aunt's A6 has like 100k and I just drove it across the country with her. I think I'll recommend she replace it sooner rather than later.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That line about the tensioners makes me giggle, because it's as if they are purposely being obtuse about the flaw of the design.

:smith: I'm not stoked about taking off the engine to replace the chains or whatever caused that horrible racket.

:spergin: Actually, it's not the chains, that's never happened. It might be a tensioner, though.

:unsmith: So, I don't have to pull the engine out?

:spergin: Not to pull out the chains, because they're not broken.

:smith:

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 25, 2014

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown

Slavvy posted:

Oh yes, they're poo poo, but they limp along forever and ever and ever. They just have no power, no torque, no economy and basically nothing good about them at all aside from longevity and toughness. They're like GM's version of the Jeep I6.

Until random components just start making GBS threads themselves all at once
I drove a 94 Series 1 VR wagon as a pizza hut delivery car...
The starter, alternator, power steering pump and a couple of pulleys all poo poo the bed within a couple of weeks of each other
Though with extractors, shift kit, 2.5" straight through and an LSD centre it was maybe pushing the other stock parts a little hard...
Please forgive me for doing such things to a family car, in my defense it had no bodykit and was just on factory steelies

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mayor Poopenmayer posted:

Until random components just start making GBS threads themselves all at once
I drove a 94 Series 1 VR wagon as a pizza hut delivery car...
The starter, alternator, power steering pump and a couple of pulleys all poo poo the bed within a couple of weeks of each other
Though with extractors, shift kit, 2.5" straight through and an LSD centre it was maybe pushing the other stock parts a little hard...
Please forgive me for doing such things to a family car, in my defense it had no bodykit and was just on factory steelies

That's less '3800's suck' and more 'commodores in general are way shittier than their owners and popular myth would lead you to believe'.

Also, people mentioning the now-legendary toyota F engine: it's a license-built metric copy of the chevy stovebolt 235. Everyone who moans about American reliability vs Japanese cars needs to know this.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ulfhednar posted:

It came from tumblr

Honest to god i thought this was a chunk of Rebar from the thumbnail...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CUSTOM-1990-FORD-LASER-/281291881629?roken=3ckL2H
The original 'builder' of this turd used to drive it around my town blasting Nickelback. It was pretty funny.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Lurch posted:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CUSTOM-1990-FORD-LASER-/281291881629?roken=3ckL2H
The original 'builder' of this turd used to drive it around my town blasting Nickelback. It was pretty funny.

"Hey, Skull? Whatcha thinking about?"
"SKRAAAAAAAA!"

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown

Slavvy posted:

That's less '3800's suck' and more 'commodores in general are way shittier than their owners and popular myth would lead you to believe'.

Also, people mentioning the now-legendary toyota F engine: it's a license-built metric copy of the chevy stovebolt 235. Everyone who moans about American reliability vs Japanese cars needs to know this.

Good point

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They could be just building them better - that's what their manufacturing process is about.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

If there's a way to make the colors reflect my emotion I'm down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bitchtard posted:

If there's a way to make the colors reflect my emotion I'm down.

If you drive around other people, just put in red bulbs and you're done. No need for the rest of the spectrum.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

When people in 2014 moan about American vs Japanese reliability they're not talking about truck engines from the 1950s.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Everyday Lurker posted:

Explains why anything GM makes involving four cylinders turns out to be unadulterated poo poo. Iron Duke/Tech4, anyone?

Oh look, geniuses put the thermostat in the back of the motor. Where no one but the service reps can get to it.

Still comes nowhere close to topping this:

:stonklol:
What I want to know is how much replacing all that will cost when the time comes for a service.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Falken posted:

What I want to know is how much replacing all that will cost when the time comes for a service.

$3k usually.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
iirc something like 7-8 grand including labor. Can't do it yourself? Haha, sucks to be you. It's 2-3k for just the parts kits, not including any of the special dealer tools, as someone already posted.

I saw what was apparently a 2009 Pontiac Vibe on my way to work this morning. My immediate reaction was that it looks like an obese Prius, at least from the back.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Slavvy posted:

In the 1980s-1990s, Mazda was building Ford transmissions under contract and Ford realized that the Mazda sourced transmissions were having less warranty replacements than the Ford units. Ford did an analysis and found out that Mazda was manufacturing process was 11 sigma quality (using up 27% of the available tolerance. Ford was using up ~90%)

Reliability isn't just about how good the design is, it's about how well you can build it too.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

I just link those pictures when someone asks why I didn't get an Audi.

edit: Note the single $200 tensioner that books 4 hours for replacement.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 25, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Das Volk posted:

What I like about this one is that eventually with enough slack, the chain will rub against itself. That's brilliant design.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Everyday Lurker posted:

Explains why anything GM makes involving four cylinders turns out to be unadulterated poo poo. Iron Duke/Tech4, anyone?

I'm generally not convinced by the GM "indestructible engines" talking point but the 2200 OHV motor is very tough all things considered. Sure; it's not powerful, or very advanced, or refined - but it is extremely reliable in my experience.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

poo poo, better slow down the guy in front's brake lights just came on. Wait, what?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 in the Chrysler Vans (and some other cars) is another example of a tough (but not good, uh, at all) engine. They start burn oil and ticking around 50,000km but will run for the next 300,000. Bizarrely, most of the 80s Chrysler Vans I see running around seem to all have that V6, despite the Mitsubishi engines generally bad reputation.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

animeliker posted:

I'm generally not convinced by the GM "indestructible engines" talking point but the 2200 OHV motor is very tough all things considered. Sure; it's not powerful, or very advanced, or refined - but it is extremely reliable in my experience.

Unless you use the OEM coolant in them, then you can say bye to your head gasket far too soon. Or try to change the spark plugs. Or... I don't know what caused it, but I did a head job on one because there was a massive crack straight from one plug bore out through the water jacket and exhaust ports to the outside of the head.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Das Volk posted:

:smith: Audi used to make nice engines...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CommieGIR posted:

:smith: Audi used to make nice engines...

They could never package anything without insane complexity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

They could never package anything without insane complexity.

Oh, c'mon now, the 20v/10v 5 Cylinder were EASY to work on and were not incredibly complex at all.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, c'mon now, the 20v/10v 5 Cylinder were EASY to work on and were not incredibly complex at all.

Yeah I love those old motors. CIS-E was complicated enough for everybody, though. I sincerely wish I had understood it more before working on the old 5000 (although the melted wiring harness was proof enough that the car was boned when we found it).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah I love those old motors. CIS-E was complicated enough for everybody, though. I sincerely wish I had understood it more before working on the old 5000 (although the melted wiring harness was proof enough that the car was boned when we found it).

:ssh: You can actually remove all the wiring and run CIE-E without the electronics. It'll run a little more rich, but it will run just fine. Really, the only thing the E part did was improve fuel economy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, then there must have been something else seriously screwed up with that car.

Oh well, it's in Audi heaven now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Unless you use the OEM coolant in them, then you can say bye to your head gasket far too soon. Or try to change the spark plugs. Or... I don't know what caused it, but I did a head job on one because there was a massive crack straight from one plug bore out through the water jacket and exhaust ports to the outside of the head.

And the "whoops, that oil galley plug for the timing chain was a bit small" not-really-a-recall that they pulled in the late 90s/early 2000s.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Das Volk posted:

Wait, KRock takes automotive photos? I thought he just gave bad camera advice online?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, to give bad camera advice you have to use a camera so I imagine he's got lots of pictures of things.

And given that he's sort of e-famous I suppose that gives him the occasional opportunity to do product shots, which is what I assume that engine is.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Reverse googled it and found this:

quote:

ACCREDITATION

Hard data and photos here are from BMW's European press information.

he used to have a page dedicated to poo poo talking his 540i M-sport or whatever it was before he ragequit and sold it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ulfhednar posted:

It came from tumblr

Of course it's a Scion