Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BoyBlunder posted:

I'm looking for a dog runner to hook up outside so that my dogs can run around leashed. Thing is, I don't have a tree to mount to on one end (the other end could be my porch).

What should I do? I don't have a fence.

A standard pole like you'd use to run a laundry line out to from the side of your house would work. It's typically a plain metal or wooden pole that you bury one end of, and they're like $20. If you want to make sure it really stays secure, what you do is fill the hole you dig in the ground for it par-way with basic cement mix to help anchor it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

BoyBlunder posted:

I'm looking for a dog runner to hook up outside so that my dogs can run around leashed. Thing is, I don't have a tree to mount to on one end (the other end could be my porch).

What should I do? I don't have a fence.

My neighbors use some kind of metal thing that spikes into the ground, it has a loop at the top that they tie a leash to. The spike is pretty long since the dog never seems to pull it out of the ground.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Meatwave posted:

"The Damp Mattress" was my favorite Sherlock Holmes story.

:ssh: The teenage boy did it.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Thanks, dudes. My dogs are tiny, so I'm gonna go with the screw-into-ground stake.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
what if your house is not near the golf course

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

b0nes posted:

Can you get a ticket for parking in a "Clean Air Vehicle" only parking space in a lot? I've been parking in a lot at a local CVS for months now and just noticed the markings. Nobody seems to be following it though.

If it's a parking spot for a retail establishment in a non-downtown area and there's no rules/regulations signage around, there's a good chance its just decoration that won't be enforced. The actual laws regarding private parking area are very strange and scarey though, so unless you know it's not being enforced you shouldn't risk fines or tows.

My store has a few parking spots for "Families" and has a little sign of a woman holding a child's hand. In 4 years, nobody has ever come around to enforce anything. I suspect my store got permission with the property manager to put up the sign, and that was that. Lot's of stores do that kind of stuff.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 24, 2014

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I've got a very old (50-100 years) bedroom door knob with a lock. Is it possible to have a key made for it without the original key?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mescal posted:

I've got a very old (50-100 years) bedroom door knob with a lock. Is it possible to have a key made for it without the original key?

What kind of key? If it's a skeleton key, mot interior doors take only one of a handfull of different patterns so you could probably find one at a hardware store. If it's something else, a good locksmith could certainly make something.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Can anybody identify the synthesizer Steve Winwood is playing in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j6g_uUhH2c

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Mister Kingdom posted:

Can anybody identify the synthesizer Steve Winwood is playing in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j6g_uUhH2c

These threads guess that Winwood played the solo on a multimoog and the other sounds on the song on a prophet 5, but I'm pretty sure that neither of those are what he has in that video. I think in the video he has a prophet 10.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

dokmo posted:

I think in the video he has a prophet 10.
Looks like it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Thanks. I thought that was it, but it looks odd in the video.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Install Windows posted:

Where are you? In some places they are actually enforced because there's a law behind them, in others it's got no legal force.

Additionally, a ton of cars fulfill "clean air vehicle" requirements, it's not like it's a thing restricted to hybrids and electric cars.

California. My car is a 1997 Honda I am pretty sure it doesn't meet the requirements.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Mescal posted:

In my experience, it is surprisingly inexpensive to remove the knob, take it to a locksmith, and say "make a key for this". I don't know what I thought it would cost, but I have recently done it several times, sometimes with oddball paramaters (maison key, etc), and it's never more than about $20. I find Yelp to be a huge help in these situations. The place with the 100 4.5* rating is a winner everytime, and you're unlikely to get The Blank Stare.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How bad is it on your body to keep yourself awake using caffeine pills? I was unable to get to sleep(I go to sleep at 1 PM) so I took a caffeine pill to stay awake since I have work in 15 minutes. Over the course of 24 hours I've taken 3 caffeine pills. One at 1 AM, one at 3 PM, and another at 7PM. I work 3rd shift so I have to be awake until at least 8 AM. I had planned on taking another caffeine pill at 2 AM(my lunch time).

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

SlayVus posted:

How bad is it on your body to keep yourself awake using caffeine pills? I was unable to get to sleep(I go to sleep at 1 PM) so I took a caffeine pill to stay awake since I have work in 15 minutes. Over the course of 24 hours I've taken 3 caffeine pills. One at 1 AM, one at 3 PM, and another at 7PM. I work 3rd shift so I have to be awake until at least 8 AM. I had planned on taking another caffeine pill at 2 AM(my lunch time).

Well, caffeine tablets typically have 200 mg in them, which is equivalent to one or two cups of coffee depending on how strong it's brewed. So if you took four pills over the course of 24 hours, that's 8 cups of coffee at worst. While it's probably a little excessive, it doesn't seem like an insane amount of caffeine. Can't answer the health side though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

SlayVus posted:

Long term your body stops doing the things it is supposed to do while you're asleep, so that's very bad. I don't know enough to really say anything specific though.

For a one time occurrence, you'll probably be ok. When I stay awake with caffeine (sometimes more than you've had if they are indeed 200mg tablets) I usually end up getting somewhat paranoid, and sometimes have a detached feeling like I'm dreaming. Eventually the caffeine stops making you feel awake and just sort of keeps you from falling asleep. Speaking of, good luck falling asleep when you actually do try to. I usually get stuck in an exhausted hell of not being able to fall asleep and feeling like I'll die if I try and stay up.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Kayak/paddle boat people thanks, think I'm going to find a calm place we can rent a kayak to try it out without 300+ HP bass boats blasting around before I spend hundreds. (Try a paddle boat too, girls have never done that before and this really is for them even if it is the rascal scooter of watercraft)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Kayak/paddle boat people thanks, think I'm going to find a calm place we can rent a kayak to try it out without 300+ HP bass boats blasting around before I spend hundreds. (Try a paddle boat too, girls have never done that before and this really is for them even if it is the rascal scooter of watercraft)

I started riding a wide newbie kayak around in a big calm river with wake from speeding motorboats with no training, and I've never felt like i was going to tip, even in the biggest wakes i encountered. It's really pretty chill unless you're in a faster stream or the sea. Even small bays/harbors are fine.

This is in a cheap beginner kayak, considered lower-end and cheap because they aren't as streamlined or maneuverable, but the good side of that is they're more stable and hence desirable to casual riders like you and your family.

If someplace nearby rents kayaks it'll likely be a similar foolproof (well, fool-resistant, wear a lifejacket) kind of kayak. A place near me rents them to people with no experience to ride in the same rivers i do, if that gives you a better idea about how chill it is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

SlayVus posted:

I'm so jealous of your caffeine tolerance. That amount of caffeine is pretty much my daily intake from coffee between 5am-3pm and I sleep like a baby.

As for sleep deprivation, in the army in training we had to go without sleep for 72 hours very regularly, sometimes up to 120 hours. After 72 you start hallucinating a bit but things are pretty normal, at 96 you're very weak and very high and completely unreliable mentally, and 120 is like the craziest drug ever, reality is indistinguishable from fantasy. But I did the 72 hours dozens of times and I'm perfectly fine so don't worry.

Not to mention the weeks at a time in my first degree where I would only sleep 8-10 hours per week. Sleep is unnecessary to a degree.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tuyop posted:

As for sleep deprivation, in the army in training we had to go without sleep for 72 hours very regularly, sometimes up to 120 hours. After 72 you start hallucinating a bit but things are pretty normal, at 96 you're very weak and very high and completely unreliable mentally, and 120 is like the craziest drug ever, reality is indistinguishable from fantasy. But I did the 72 hours dozens of times and I'm perfectly fine so don't worry.

Try that in an 80,000 lb triaxle with a plow and salt spreader.

I hate plowing so much.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Try that in an 80,000 lb triaxle with a plow and salt spreader.

I hate plowing so much.

Yeah they just had us lead platoon attacks with blank ammo. No possibility of causing huge car accidents, I guess this is why plow drivers don't do sleep dep in training.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tuyop posted:

Yeah they just had us lead platoon attacks with blank ammo. No possibility of causing huge car accidents, I guess this is why plow drivers don't do sleep dep in training.

Uhhhh....OK. Not trying to measure penis size here, just trying to commiserate on how awful it is to be up for that long and the stupid things we're often doing for the sake of employment when it happens.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

SlayVus posted:

If you're not getting any actual sleep, then expect to start getting really irritable and unable to concentrate. Your work quality will go to poo poo. Beyond that is running into stuff like microsleeps, which are basically split-second blackouts that are a good sign that your productivity is now near-zero and you should really stay off the road.

It's a bad cycle to get into because the caffeine makes the late-day insomnia problem worse.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is just a one day thing. Woke up at 12am, took a pill at 1am because I was tired even after sleeping like 13 hours. Tried going to sleep around 1pm and just laid in bed with my eyes closed for like 2-3 hours. Decided to take another pill and then took another one after 7. Now I just got to work for another four hours them I can go home and sleep.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My mom asked me to figure out what kind of flowers these are growing in her garden:

I'm sure you guys can give me an answer. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Uhhhh....OK. Not trying to measure penis size here, just trying to commiserate on how awful it is to be up for that long and the stupid things we're often doing for the sake of employment when it happens.

I hope it didn't come off that way. I'm trying to express that my fake war story is laughable because even if it sounds hard there are no real consequences beyond an increase in training accidents. Plow drivers, kind of like bus drivers, actually have a lot of responsibility and capacity to cause terrible harm so doing it well is pretty cool.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Taeke posted:

My mom asked me to figure out what kind of flowers these are growing in her garden:

I'm sure you guys can give me an answer. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeysuckle

Looks like honeysuckle to me. Do they smell heavenly?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
They don't look like good ole American Honeysuckles

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If the bacteria that causes tetanus is intollerant to oxygen, how does it live in a human body? I don't mean the spores, I mean the bacteria itself once the spores come in and the bacteria starts reproducing.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

If the bacteria that causes tetanus is intollerant to oxygen, how does it live in a human body? I don't mean the spores, I mean the bacteria itself once the spores come in and the bacteria starts reproducing.

Plenty of areas in the human body with low oxygen content (hypoxia). The survival and behaviour of cells in hypoxic conditions is quite well understood and an important field in tissue engineering.

e. I know nothing of tetanus specifically though so it could have its own special survival mechanism.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

poopkitty posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeysuckle

Looks like honeysuckle to me. Do they smell heavenly?

Doesn't look like it. This is in the Netherlands, by the way.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Taeke posted:

My mom asked me to figure out what kind of flowers these are growing in her garden
Clematis Armandii "Snowdrift"

I think.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Can i use the same kind of water stone to sharpen a straight razor, regular knives, and chisels?

I know nothing about blade sharpening.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I don't see why not. Though depending on what kind of metal the chisel is it may not work very well (might be too hard).

However if your blades are real dull you may want to get them professionally sharpened, as a stone is really only good for maintaining an edge, not creating a new edge where one used to be.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Looks like that's it. Thanks a lot. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Can i use the same kind of water stone to sharpen a straight razor, regular knives, and chisels?

I know nothing about blade sharpening.

No, different kinds of metal need different sharpening tools. A chisel is best sharpened with an electric grinding wheel because it's super hard. A knife with a whetstone. A straight razor with a series of straps and weird poo poo because it's so delicate.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

All of my Tumblr posts consist of an image at the top of the post followed by paragraphs of my writing. But it never allows me to insert a line break between the image and my first paragraph. Is there an html workaround to fix this? I hate how squished it looks.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

All of my Tumblr posts consist of an image at the top of the post followed by paragraphs of my writing. But it never allows me to insert a line break between the image and my first paragraph. Is there an html workaround to fix this? I hate how squished it looks.

Throw a couple <br> tags in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Throw a couple <br> tags in there?

Thank you, sir. Solved my problem.

I also have another dumb tumblr-related question: I created a tumblr about 5 years ago and never really used it. Later, I created a second one under the same email/tumblr account which I use regularly as a portfolio to showcase my published writing. But whenever I do something on Tumblr, like follow someone, it notifies them that my first tumblr followed them... which is no good because it's totally blank.

Also, when I'm on my tumblr dashboard, I can switch between my 1st and 2nd tumblr. It shows that my 1st site is following 0 people and my 2nd site is following 12 people as it should.... but when I follow people I know in real life, they tell me my old blank one followed them.

Is there any work around to this? When I go into settings and try to delete the blank blog, it gives me this:

"Now just a minute.
Are you sure you want to delete your whole account? You’ll lose everything. Usernames, themes, your sense of community, your reason for living, likes, messages, and everything you’ve ever posted will be gone forever."

I'm nervous that it will delete both my blogs since everything seems to be connected and run through the goddamn blank one. Or is that incorrect?

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 25, 2014