Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Korak posted:

I think a lot of people are scared of another Dragon's Maze. BNG was also moderately underwhelming. GR got some fun tools. UW got nothing(ephara is nice but not critical.) Black got some more useful kill spells. UG got a planeswalker that feels powerful in certain decks but the rest of UG lacks something to break out. White got the best three drop in the game right now, unfortunately white has issues where every good card they have is literally 3 mana. GW's tools are rumored to be coming in JOU, possibly an insane GW Ajani. Red got some interesting cards that pushed Burn into tier 1.

I'm excited for the new set just because unlike Dragon's Maze the gods seem to be a bit better overall than a lot of the guild champions ended up. Maybe WotC can sort of break the 'third set is weakest' streak.

Honestly? I think a lot of people were ready to hate BNG, and I think a lot of complaints about Theros block are more about its overall low power level than any design failing. Voltronning a creature has ALWAYS been suboptimal ever since instant speed removal has been a thing, and even though Theros lets you play around it, a card that's great when you use it with another card is still less great than a card that is great on its own. I love the limited format but I have to admit that it's a slow standard, and fast decks often beat slow ones.

All that said, I really like BNG, and I think the hate for it is pretty unwarranted. Brimaz, Courser, Ephara, and Spirit of the Labyrinth are all top-tier cards. All four are going to see Modern/Legacy play. Xenagod is a Standard powerhouse, the scrylands are respectable duals, and even some of the commons and uncommons (Bile Blight, Searing Blood) are cards that will have long lasting appeal. I don't think the bad cards/good cards ratio in BNG is worse than any other small set (ok besides NPH) and better than many (DGM, DKA).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Count Bleck posted:

Round 3 vs BIOVISIONARY. 0-2
...come again?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Froghammer posted:

...come again?

Everytime I would swing for lethal, he'd block my poo poo with his Biovisionary which he copied using Fated Infactuation, and Rootborn Defenses.

Then on his next turn he'd play another biovisionary/populate spell and win.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Froghammer posted:

...come again?
Sounds like he didn't have removal. It's actually pretty quick to get a Biovisionary kill if there isn't any disruption. I've mused over whether putting Azor's Elocutors in a UW Midrange deck would be useful to draw out kill spells but 5 mana is just a bit too much to pay for so little.

Kiki-Pod guy 4-0'd the daily. Mostly through beatdown but a couple combo kills. Maybe that idea of a graveyard based Pod deck could be an actual thing considering how often Pod decks win with pure beatdown.

Korak fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 25, 2014

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Well I bit the bullet and bought the rest of my esper control deck.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Honestly? I think a lot of people were ready to hate BNG, and I think a lot of complaints about Theros block are more about its overall low power level than any design failing. Voltronning a creature has ALWAYS been suboptimal ever since instant speed removal has been a thing, and even though Theros lets you play around it, a card that's great when you use it with another card is still less great than a card that is great on its own. I love the limited format but I have to admit that it's a slow standard, and fast decks often beat slow ones.

All that said, I really like BNG, and I think the hate for it is pretty unwarranted. Brimaz, Courser, Ephara, and Spirit of the Labyrinth are all top-tier cards. All four are going to see Modern/Legacy play. Xenagod is a Standard powerhouse, the scrylands are respectable duals, and even some of the commons and uncommons (Bile Blight, Searing Blood) are cards that will have long lasting appeal. I don't think the bad cards/good cards ratio in BNG is worse than any other small set (ok besides NPH) and better than many (DGM, DKA).

I understand your viewpoint, and I respect your right to like the set, but the hate is pretty warranted. For those of us playing capital-L Limited, it was a very lackluster set. It leans far too heavily on Theros block's removal suite and doesn't present enough support for its new mechanics for those to be breakout abilities. There are only a select few Tribute cards that are a difficult decision for your opponent (lookin' at you, Xenabro), and the Inspired enablers make you chase too hard just to get an often underwhelming inspired trigger.

To say a set is good based off of its chase-rares and -mythics is missing the point of limited. The argument isn't that the set doesn't have some good cards (it clearly does), it's just poorly designed and doesn't grow the block as a whole in a substantive way.

Of course, I've been vocal before about my dislike for the set, and I had very high hopes for it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

vOv posted:

I want to build a deck that doesn't even win by decking your opponent because it somehow causes them to keep shuffling their graveyard into their library. You just draw every single game.

UWx Control with recurring Vortex Elementals. Sure, they can stop playing creatures, but they can always concede games too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Brimaz, Courser, Ephara, and Spirit of the Labyrinth are all top-tier cards. All four are going to see Modern/Legacy play.

:confused: In what deck would Ephara be played? She's certainly too slow for Legacy, and there isn't really a blue white deck in modern she slots into nicely.

Brimaz and Courser are more likely to see maindeck play, but Brimaz will generally be a tier 2 card at best and Courser's best use right now is in BG Rock/Jund, both of which lost a lot of steam.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

TheKingofSprings posted:

:confused: In what deck would Ephara be played? She's certainly too slow for Legacy, and there isn't really a blue white deck in modern she slots into nicely.

Brimaz and Courser are more likely to see maindeck play, but Brimaz will generally be a tier 2 card at best and Courser's best use right now is in BG Rock/Jund, both of which lost a lot of steam.

Coursers may be picking up steam again in RUG. It also appears that a lot of the control decks are side boarding more creatures, one of which is Brimaz. Ephara is used a bit in blue devotion splash white.

Edit - nm, I didn't notice you were talking about modern and legacy

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I think the scry lands are underrated in modern at least. The UR one is going to be seen in several decks right away, as a 1-3 of probably. Control doesn't mind tapped lands, storm maybe? could play 1 or 2, some variants of twin might play it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

I think the scry lands are underrated in modern at least. The UR one is going to be seen in several decks right away, as a 1-3 of probably. Control doesn't mind tapped lands, storm maybe? could play 1 or 2, some variants of twin might play it.

Storm is so dependent on its mana and scry doesn't draw you a card - I don't think Storm will ever play a scryland.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm still waiting for Iroas and Keranos to be released (along with the U/R temple). Please let them be good! They're my two favorite color combos!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

jassi007 posted:

Modern is way too fast for lands that come into play tapped. You don't want to die because you can't play an untapped land.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
While I don't think there's any chance storm would every run scry lands, that's not really true. UWR draw-go and UW Tron usually run the full playset of Celestial Colonnade, and Ad Nauseam has started running some scry lands. Jund used to run Raging Ravine too, though I have no idea if it's still staple.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Three-colour decks can already fill their manabase with untapped lands between shocks, fetches, and fast/check/filterlands depending on their requirements. It's only two-colour decks that could really want them, and even then coming into play tapped is a hard sell. Scry 1 is worth less than a card (the exact value depends on just how many dead draws you have), so they don't stack up favourably against manlands.

If a deck doesn't already run the appropriate manlands then it's unlikely to want temples. Even then, it's questionable as to just how many tapped lands you can afford to have. We could see a handful, but I wouldn't expect 4-ofs.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Celestial Colonnade and the other WWK lands are a case of no other dual land doing exactly what they do, period. I don't think you can generalize from them to other taplands that offer relatively marginal value.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
I wasn't arguing that scry lands are anywhere near as good as the Worldwake manlands, because they obviously aren't. I'm just saying that a blanket statement of "Modern is way too fast for lands that come into play tapped." isn't completely true.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'll admit that Ephara is the fringiest card there, but I do think she'll show up. Probably not so much in Legacy, which is a much more mature and established format, but Modern's in serious flux and new decks appear and disappear overnight. A lot of Modern decks that aren't just trying to combo out ASAP are running a very midrange-y, beatdown style; that's why Pod decks are so successful, even when they don't combo out they're able to build up a decent board and turn sideways for value by running a diverse array of creatures. Ephara's ability to maintain tempo by replacing all of your plays is valuable. She also fits in any deck running Geist and combos pretty nicely with him.

The scrys are a more interesting case for me. There are plenty of conditional ETBT lands (checklands, scarlands) that have a chance of entering untapped. Scrylands throw away that inconsistency-- they always enter tapped-- but they give you upside when they enter. Amulet of Vigor is a thing, but that plays nicely with manlands, too, and in most cases I'd rather have a Colonnade than a Temple of Enlightenment. So I dunno where they'll end up. We also have never seen enemy colored manlands or scarlands, so the Temples have some value there.

I also flatly disagree about Brimaz being tier 2, dodging the most commonly played removal spell in modern is by itself pretty nice and that much presence at 3CMC is pretty nice. I mean he's no Geist, but I highly doubt we'll see a 3-drop as aggressive as Geist for a while, and Brimaz is easier to cast.

Finally I actually like BTT limited, but I do admit that mostly when I play I'm running a few high-value Tribute dudes (Siren, Ornitharch, Harpy), some removal if I'm in red/black, and mostly Theros dudes. I think a lot of the hate that I saw directed at it was from the perception that it had no Constructed-worthy cards, or at least no non-Standard constructed worthy cards, which is a criticism I disagree with.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I find something incredibly wrong with the rares and mythics I've accumulated through bullshit trades and random pack openings (namely Purphoros and a bunch of Guild Leaders, Dreadbores, and Rakdos Returns [YES I DISASSEMBLED MURDERGOATS DEAL] being worth as much as two Aether Vials in buylist prices.

But I loving need those Aether Vials. :sigh:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I find something incredibly wrong with the rares and mythics I've accumulated through bullshit trades and random pack openings (namely Purphoros and a bunch of Guild Leaders, Dreadbores, and Rakdos Returns [YES I DISASSEMBLED MURDERGOATS DEAL] being worth as much as two Aether Vials in buylist prices.

But I loving need those Aether Vials. :sigh:

I can't loving believe that card was printed as an uncommon originally.

Darksteel, man. Darksteel.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm heavily considering trading away my one and only Cryptic Command as well for pieces of Modern Fish.

Is Cryptic's Price bound to sink or is it only up from here with the best Command from Lorwyn?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

jassi007 posted:

Definitely agreeing with you. I'm seen quite a bit of talk about which decks in modern will run the UR scry land and it seems like it will be extremely well played.

Only deck I could see Ephara in Modern right now is the Zur deck, which Thassa already became a 1 of in. Would allow some additional card draw or occasionally just become an insane creature to block/attack/lifegain with.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

[YES I DISASSEMBLED MURDERGOATS DEAL]

So did I, and now I have 3 Verdant Catacombs. :shobon::hf::shobon:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

bhsman posted:

The difference between you and me, however, is that I'm getting Aether Vials and you're getting Fetchlands.

The Fetches will come. Soon.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

bhsman posted:

Life ain't just about murder and goats, son... :smith:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I can't loving believe that card was printed as an uncommon originally.

Darksteel, man. Darksteel.

And it still wasn't the best uncommon in the set.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Cozz posted:

I personally have started using Magic Assistant to inventory my Commander Decks after I tried using Deckbox and not working the way I expected. I haven't started on my inventory of anything other than Decks yet(due to laziness), but it has worked for me so far.
I use MTG Studio. It's very full-featured. It's shortcomings are:
Lack of most foreign language cards, does not update the card sets until after the release. It has a truly OCD card set, with every alternate art having it's own row. The sorting and filtering are great, the dev is very responsive.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Modern report! Nyx&Nail has failed me for the last time.

Round 1 against some GW Soul Sisters thing with Leyline of Vitality has me keeping bad 5 card hands and losing to lucky topdecked Ajanis for flying 11/11 doublestrike Ajani's Pridemates, and both times the turn before I kill him in 1 fell swoop.

Round 2 vs. Zoo. Game 1 I keep 4 land, Utopia Sprawl, Fertile Ground, and Tooth and Nail and draw 5 lands and die. Game 2 I think I win? Game 3 I either never played or I lost, but I do remember losing to a lucky topdecked Boros Charm.

Round 3 against some weird Enduring Ideal Belcher Prison thing? I lose game 1 to Ensnaring Bridge that I can't do anything about. I Genesis Wave for 25, get 2 Harmonizes back from Eternal Witnesses, draw the last 6 cards, and play an Elvish Visionary. Hmph.
Game 2 he ramps up hard and I get mana screwed forever until I finally hit 6 mana for Primetime which turns everything around letting me play Deus of Calamity (who gets Pathed) and Urabrask next turn. He plays Dovescape which almost kills me but I finally kill him with his 8 tapped flying birds and me at 1 life.
Game 3 is why I play this deck. Turn 1 Forest Arbor Elf. Turn 2 draw Fertile Ground, play Forest Utopia Sprawl, tap for Fertile Ground, untap, play Fertile Ground #2. Turn 3 draw Verdant Catacombs, cast Tooth and Nail and win.

Round 4 vs. a fellow goon playing RUG Twin. I go to 5, keep junk. He Exarchs my turn 3 and Twins turn 4
Round 2, turn 3 Choke is enough. He still Remands my stuff enough to make killing him take longer than it should have before I find Boseiju and a few turns later, cast T&N for the Emrakul in my hand.
Game 3 he gets mana screwed hard. Like 2 lands in probably close to 20 cards. Sorry dude!

Round 5 vs. some RU control thing which apparently wasn't Bleu Moon.
Game 1 he flips Delver turn 2, I keep a bad hand of 5, don't get lands and get everything Remanded.
Game 2 I ramp up hard, get a Primetime down for Boseiju, which gets me an uncounterable Tooth and Nail.
Game 3, my turn 1 is an Elf. Turn 2 is Sprawl, BTE, Garruk, Nykthos Eyes of the Wisent, and Banefire for 1 to kill his turn 1 Delver, leaving a Primetime in my hand. He gets cast 3 turns in a row (Vapor Snag :argh:) before sticking. Somehow he gets rid of it, but not before I get a stupid amount of mana, which I use with Wolf Run to make Arbor Elf a 13/1 trample and overrun his Snapcaster to hit him for exact lethal.

So I FINALLY win my last round and end up 3/2 instead of my usual 2/3 and I end up in 9th/19 which as usual when I do these things is the first place not to get prizes.

Edit:I'd post my list but it's not up to date.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ungulateman posted:

Life ain't just about murder and goats, son... :smith:

Hey, I'm happy with how it worked out: I got to play a fun, divergent, and competitive list for a few months and got to turn it around to fuel a Modern deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Round 1 against some GW Soul Sisters thing with Leyline of Vitality has me keeping bad 5 card hands and losing to lucky topdecked Ajanis for flying 11/11 doublestrike Ajani's Pridemates, and both times the turn before I kill him in 1 fell swoop.

Round 2 vs. Zoo. Game 1 I keep 4 land, Utopia Sprawl, Fertile Ground, and Tooth and Nail and draw 5 lands and die. Game 2 I think I win? Game 3 I either never played or I lost, but I do remember losing to a lucky topdecked Boros Charm.

Round 3 against some weird Enduring Ideal Belcher Prison thing? I lose game 1 to Ensnaring Bridge that I can't do anything about. I Genesis Wave for 25, get 2 Harmonizes back from Eternal Witnesses, draw the last 6 cards, and play an Elvish Visionary. Hmph.
Game 2 he ramps up hard and I get mana screwed forever until I finally hit 6 mana for Primetime which turns everything around letting me play Deus of Calamity (who gets Pathed) and Urabrask next turn. He plays Dovescape which almost kills me but I finally kill him with his 8 tapped flying birds and me at 1 life.
Game 3 is why I play this deck. Turn 1 Forest Arbor Elf. Turn 2 draw Fertile Ground, play Forest Utopia Sprawl, tap for Fertile Ground, untap, play Fertile Ground #2. Turn 3 draw Verdant Catacombs, cast Tooth and Nail and win.

Round 4 vs. a fellow goon playing RUG Twin. I go to 5, keep junk. He Exarchs my turn 3 and Twins turn 4
Round 2, turn 3 Choke is enough. He still Remands my stuff enough to make killing him take longer than it should have before I find Boseiju and a few turns later, cast T&N for the Emrakul in my hand.
Game 3 he gets mana screwed hard. Like 2 lands in probably close to 20 cards. Sorry dude!

Round 5 vs. some RU control thing which apparently wasn't Bleu Moon.
Game 1 he flips Delver turn 2, I keep a bad hand of 5, don't get lands and get everything Remanded.
Game 2 I ramp up hard, get a Primetime down for Boseiju, which gets me an uncounterable Tooth and Nail.
Game 3, my turn 1 is an Elf. Turn 2 is Sprawl, BTE, Garruk, Nykthos Eyes of the Wisent, and Banefire for 1 to kill his turn 1 Delver, leaving a Primetime in my hand. He gets cast 3 turns in a row (Vapor Snag :argh:) before sticking. Somehow he gets rid of it, but not before I get a stupid amount of mana, which I use with Wolf Run to make Arbor Elf a 13/1 trample and overrun his Snapcaster to hit him for exact lethal.

So I FINALLY win my last round and end up 3/2 instead of my usual 2/3 and I end up in 9th/19 which as usual when I do these things is the first place not to get prizes.

Edit:I'd post my list but it's not up to date.

What sideboard were you running? I know your green devo list had eldrazi and more T&N and mine is way more genesis wave dependant with a bit less spell variety but I image we have the same matchups. I was thinking of adding a single Choke to my sideboard and up to 3 copies of Beast Within to disrupt other early combos.

I do love genesis waving though. Comboing out and putting my entire deck on the board on turn 4/5 and swinging for lethal same turn is entirely possible and not uncommon. I still need to find someone with a Boseiju to trade.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

My friend run Nykthos Wave and has had reasonable success with it. His deck is different than some others I've seen in a few ways, the biggest being Domri. He swears by it, more for a fight on a stick that people spend a lot of resources to deal with. http://deckbox.org/sets/574040

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What sideboard were you running? I know your green devo list had eldrazi and more T&N and mine is way more genesis wave dependant with a bit less spell variety but I image we have the same matchups. I was thinking of adding a single Choke to my sideboard and up to 3 copies of Beast Within to disrupt other early combos.

I do love genesis waving though. Comboing out and putting my entire deck on the board on turn 4/5 and swinging for lethal same turn is entirely possible and not uncommon. I still need to find someone with a Boseiju to trade.

I'm going on memory but I'm pretty sure it was

1 Dosan who I didn't see once all day so maybe he's good?
1 Choke which I probably want to go up to 2
1 Eyes of the Wisent which never did anything. I guess the point is for it not to do anything but make them play around it, which it did masterfully the one time I saw it.
3 Banefire
3 Fracturing Gust
2 Deus of Calamity
1 Woodfall Primus
2 Privileged Position
1 Helix Pinnacle, as a way of winning against decks which I can't otherwise interact with, which is definitely not keeping its spot. I'll probably turn this into another Choke. I played it turn 1 of round 3 game 2 and got to 14 before I stopped being able to do anything because I had to actually play the game. I probably could have gotten there except I couldn't get any of my ramp at all. It took like 10 turns just to hit 6 mana for the Primetime that turned the game around, and by then Dovescape and that stupid Pegasus-making enchantment meant I had to put all my mana into making chump blocker doves. I really hoped it would win at least 1 game before I took it out.

Boseiju is actually main and I didn't regret it once yesterday. It's so nice to drop a Primetime game 1 which they let resolve because they can deal with a single creature, only to pull out Boseiju and drop an uncounterable win on their next turn. :science:

Unexpected bonus: Urabrask is pretty good against Twin.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
So I'm considering going to Grand Prix Philly, since it appears to be all limited and no constructed nonsense. This would be my very first Grand Prix, and I usually play MTGO, so I'm going to have to get used to announcing triggers and what not.

What do I need to know? My asscrack will be covered at all times, I assure you.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Gyshall posted:

So I'm considering going to Grand Prix Philly, since it appears to be all limited and no constructed nonsense. This would be my very first Grand Prix, and I usually play MTGO, so I'm going to have to get used to announcing triggers and what not.

Pre-register. PES is running this tournament.
http://www.professional-events.com/Magic/GrandPrix/2014/Philadelphia/

This format (3x BNG, 3x THS) is an 84 card sealed, so check that number as you're filling out the decklist.

Take a picture of your main deck if your memory is bad, so you can reset for each round's game 1.

Call a judge for any information, questions, or to fix errors.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Be realistic in your expectations. While many random bad players will show up at GPs, a ton of really fantastic ones will too, and without any byes it takes an incredible combination of skill and luck just to make day 2.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Bring water and something healthy and snackable, Trailmix is ideal. Depending on who you play against, and your own play speed you won't have a chance to grab food or drink and water will be your best friend. Gatorade is an acceptable but inferior substitute. Identify all restrooms as soon as you can, you never know home much time you will have between rounds, and you don't want to be stuck looking for a restroom and wasting precious time there. Sleep well the night before, it is surprising how mentally and physically fatiguing playing high-level magic can be for hours on end. I recommend pre-registering and showing up anywhere from an hour-45 minutes early. Getting that out of the way makes you much less stressed and ready to play. If you are playing to compete, leave your trade binder in your car, or at home, its a distraction and rushing a trade because you need to make your round is the best way to get sharked I know of. Do not be afraid to call a judge if you see your opponent do something that intentionally or unintentionally breaks the rules, maintaining gamestate is both players' responsibilities and you don't want to get dinged yourself. Be comfortable with calling judges to settle any and all rules disputes or questions on interactions you are unsure of, that is what they are there for. Oh and get some practice sorting out cards quickly, you will have to sort cards and mark them on a tiny rear end sheet with microscopic text in a small time limit. It isn't hard, but I know some people freak out, just be quick and accurate, and be sure to double check your deck registration sheet before turning it in, you do not want a deck registration error.

Oh and bring a notepad and pencil to keep track of life totals and take notes, dice are to inaccurate and a notepad keeps a history of life total changes should a discrepancy arise.

Other than that, have fun, I love limited Grand Prix's, and BTT sealed is a decent format.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
I was going to ask, since there's a Sealed PTQ in a few weeks in my area, what's the breakdown of packs? 3 of each?

Also, any good recommendations for places where I can get some Sealed practice in?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mexican Sandwich posted:

I was going to ask, since there's a Sealed PTQ in a few weeks in my area, what's the breakdown of packs? 3 of each?

Also, any good recommendations for places where I can get some Sealed practice in?

Best place to practice sealed is MTGO, you can play sealed deck at any point in the day and have decent competition. Otherwise, check with your FLGS they may do events occasionally. Drafts.in also has a sealed deck builder so you can practice building decks in that program.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Veyrall posted:

I think some people are a bit tired of seeing Sphinx's Revelation and are equating that with an entire archetype. Yeah, it's a bit dull that we're in yet another year or so of UW being the de-facto control colors, but it'll by the end of the year so a bit of patience can go a long way.

Me, I'm just curious to know exactly what color combos have never been used in control decks. I can't think of a single RG control deck, or a viable GW one either. Hell, I can't think of many control decks that run/ran green period, save for those seasons with really amazing color fixing.

im pretty sure at one point there was a mono-green control deck that ran this but there are have been control decks that use green for sure
the sickest e: i also want to say that control decks are really good and anybody who complains about them being unfun would never understand why fun cards like winter orb exist

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

im pretty sure at one point there was a mono-green control deck that ran this but there are have been control decks that use green for sure
the sickest e: i also want to say that control decks are really good and anybody who complains about them being unfun would never understand why fun cards like winter orb exist

I wouldn't quite call it control but I remember before everyone knew how good affinity was, there was a rg land destruction deck in onslaught/mirrodin standard for a while. 4 stone rain, 4 molten rain, 4 bop, 4 plow under. It ran those alongside burn and its big finish was Arc-Slogger I believe.

• Locked thread