Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kilersquirrel posted:

I would personally buy the poo poo out of that Fit system, it looks pretty awesome. If you lived out in BFE or the highest penthouse for a few blocks that plant shower could be great too.

I thought greywater systems weren't particularly new?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Phy posted:

I thought greywater systems weren't particularly new?

I'm not sure how this relates to the other (I don't recall the Fit system thing) but you're right, greywater systems aren't very new but they are uncommon in most areas. In fact, there seems to have been a resurgence of interest in them in the last 10 years which has cause all manner of code problems - primarily that most code books have no mention of them and how they are written in regards to waste water pretty much excludes their possibility (like all waste water must be going to a common blah blah...).

I remember seeing some sample resolutions to update things that seemed pretty solid, but I'm not sure if any of the majors actually incorporated them into the main codes yet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I always enjoyed this picture (not mine):

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Dammit, why the hell aren't they wearing their safety glasses? :argh:

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

kastein posted:

Dammit, why the hell aren't they wearing their safety glasses? :argh:

They're clearly not Norm Abram disciples.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Dammit, why the hell aren't they wearing their safety glasses Hi-Vis vests? :argh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Stop cutting when you start seeing dayglo colors in the sawdust.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

GreenNight posted:

I always enjoyed this picture (not mine):

Brought to you by the people who gave us...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Blistex posted:

Brought to you by the people who gave us...

You should know that's a joke photo, IIRC from some Linux nerd meetup in one of the Nordic countries.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

How do those sockets even work? They've always looked to me like I could stick my finger into the hole and touch something live.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think the one sticking out is the ground pin, and the hot connections are still recessed.

Really all of the international plugs are stupid though. I've yet to hear a reason that there's anything superior to the American standard plug. USA #1

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

sbyers77 posted:

How do those sockets even work? They've always looked to me like I could stick my finger into the hole and touch something live.

The holes are recessed so the whole plug goes in it. Not like American plugs where if your plug is a bit loose, you now have live exposed contacts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The american standard plugs (NEMA 5 series) stink, but there's no real good way to do it.

I think twistloks are my favorite, but they're so drat expensive. Still, I'd use them on everything if I could.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Ah, got it. Makes sense now.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I could see having a normal outlet behind the cabinets (or maybe a spare socket on the one that drives your dishwasher or garbage disposal or whatever), and then running some extension cords to the backs of the drawers. The extension cords would probably wear out eventually, but that's trivial to replace. You also wouldn't have a traditional outlet faceplate, but that doesn't strike me as a huge concern.

Extension cords aren't allowed for permanent use. As far as the code is concerned in houses, if you have a socket somewhere all the time, then it better be hardwired in a stationary box with stationary cable. In fact, the code expressly says "flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following: (1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure"

Sagebrush posted:

Really all of the international plugs are stupid though. I've yet to hear a reason that there's anything superior to the American standard plug. USA #1

First international-standard power plug, which is weird since that use wasn't what it was intended for.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 25, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

Extension cords aren't allowed for permanent use.

Nothing is permanent man, ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

I worked in theatre and now the event industry, I am so numb to sketchy nonsense at this point I am afraid to work around the house as I don't trust my judgement any more.

I have uttered the phrase "load bearing ratchet-strap" and 100% meant it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

The Human Cow posted:

They're clearly not Norm Abram disciples.
Norm Abram once said that his first table saw was a circular saw bolted to the bottom of a milk crate flipped upside down, so

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

nmfree posted:

Norm Abram once said that his first table saw was a circular saw bolted to the bottom of a milk crate flipped upside down, so

How do you even set up a fence for that

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Oh, goddammit.

Had a circuit breaker pop while I was vacuuming in my rental condo. Went to reset it. Doesn't reset. Take a closer look. Yep, Federal Pacific Stab-Lok. Goddammit.

Qwijib0 posted:

at least it popped?

Yeah, of the two failure modes that's sure a better one. Informing the landlord that "hey, you probably need to replace this entire panel because replacing a single bad breaker in it is a really dumb idea" will be fun.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 26, 2014

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Oh, goddammit.

Had a circuit breaker pop while I was vacuuming in my rental condo. Went to reset it. Doesn't reset. Take a closer look. Yep, Federal Pacific Stab-Lok. Goddammit.

at least it popped?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

canyoneer posted:

You should know that's a joke photo, IIRC from some Linux nerd meetup in one of the Nordic countries.

That's what I was getting at. Both pictures are jokes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Blistex posted:

That's what I was getting at. Both pictures are jokes.

Oh... :blush:

Let's turn perfectly serviceable laminate countertops into poorly done, hideous tile countertops.

That sliver cut at the back :barf:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Why the gently caress would anyone install tile countertops is completely beyond me. I like my countertops flat and level and not full of pores and grout that I have to scrub the poo poo out of to get clean.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Agreed. Never do it. I got tile counters when I bought a house and I have to hire a housekeeper to keep them clean.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone install tile countertops is completely beyond me. I like my countertops flat and level and not full of pores and grout that I have to scrub the poo poo out of to get clean.

I helped my parents put in black granite tiles (12in) as the countertop many years ago when the solid slab was way more expensive. They held up well and look great.

Tile works fine as long as it's durable and you choose something other than white for a grout color.

[

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I have tile counter tops with white grout. As long as they are sealed well they don't stain. It was like this when I bought the house, but I actually like them now and it goes well with the "country kitchen" vibe my house has. Also nice to be able to take a pot or pan right off the stove and put it on the counter without having to worry about melting laminate.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Blistex posted:

I have tile counter tops with white grout. As long as they are sealed well they don't stain. It was like this when I bought the house, but I actually like them now and it goes well with the "country kitchen" vibe my house has. Also nice to be able to take a pot or pan right off the stove and put it on the counter without having to worry about melting laminate.

Which is why I like out stainless steel counter top. It too came with the house and is great for a lot of things.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I don't think I've ever seen a SS counter top outside of a restaurant or community centre kitchen. Got any pics?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Blistex posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a SS counter top outside of a restaurant or community centre kitchen. Got any pics?

Not handy, but I can take some, or if I can find it I'll scan images of the magazine shoot of the house.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Not that this is now the kitchen counter thread, but I've always liked the look of butcher block. I ended up going granite with mine, and I did an island in marble because a guy who lived in a trailer and had a big piece of marble (to be made into a mantle) sold it to me for 75 bucks, tough to pass up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Did the big piece of marble 'fall off a truck'?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

GreenNight posted:

As a friend of mine would say: "Fall off a truck? Hell no, this is stolen. If it fell off a truck it would be broken." (He was kidding, not stupid btw).

e: well not that stupid

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have a piece of Corian that fell off a delivery truck and got written off because of damage. Still good enough to make about 7 feet of a counter top. Not that I would want that poo poo as a counter top, but I'm sure somebody will eventually.

Also, don't put Corian in your kitchen, it's loving stupid. It's worse than laminate in just about every way, but cost way more. Guaranteed to be stained by coffee spills and melt under hot pots. And as an added bonus, you can gauge the poo poo out of it with knifes or cooking utensils.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

GreenNight posted:

No idea, mine now though :)

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Elendil004 posted:

No idea, mine now though :)

We have some large marble slabs, they came from antique furniture (table, table and desk, respectively). People destroy the furniture over a couple generations and then have the marble kicking around and practically give it away, so maybe that is where yours came from

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Slabs of granite and marble that seem to be too small to be useful are great for refurbishing old hand planes. (as long as they are flat)

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Nitrox posted:

I have a piece of Corian that fell off a delivery truck and got written off because of damage. Still good enough to make about 7 feet of a counter top. Not that I would want that poo poo as a counter top, but I'm sure somebody will eventually.

Also, don't put Corian in your kitchen, it's loving stupid. It's worse than laminate in just about every way, but cost way more. Guaranteed to be stained by coffee spills and melt under hot pots. And as an added bonus, you can gauge the poo poo out of it with knifes or cooking utensils.

I'm putting it in mine (well not specifically the corian brand). It doesn't stain, it's very easy to repair any scratches (and gouges can be filled in), and looks much nicer than laminate.

Part of the reasoning of getting it vs granite is that you can buy solid surface sheets and DIY for less than half the price. I had it in my last house and it was great.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

dyne posted:

I'm putting it in mine (well not specifically the corian brand). It doesn't stain, it's very easy to repair any scratches (and gouges can be filled in), and looks much nicer than laminate.

Part of the reasoning of getting it vs granite is that you can buy solid surface sheets and DIY for less than half the price. I had it in my last house and it was great.
What brand is it? If it's acrylic then it will stain from anything acidic including coffee. The repair and refinish are usually way above the level of an average DIY person. But if you can handle it, then power to you.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Phanatic posted:

Oh, goddammit.

yank it out and replace it with a wad of aluminum foil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

yank it out and replace it with a wad of aluminum foil

That is legitimately a safety upgrade compared to those things.