Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
So I decided my 323 didn't have enough dents and scratches on it so I drove it into the wheel well of a semi truck (he turned left in front of me and I didn't have enough room to stop). Obviously the car was written off. With the payout I turned around and bough a 1995 Mazda MX-3 off craigslist. Only 167000 km on it.

Anybody ever own/currently own one of these? So far I'm enjoying it. Decent handling, and the acceleration is as fast as a 1.6L I4 will get you. Way quieter on the highway than the 323.

Work is like 50km from my house, and since I only paid $1000 for the thing I won't feel too bad when I bag the hell out of it, so obviously I'm going to be working this thing. Any common problems or anything I should look out for on this car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Giant toddlers picking up your car to drive it around and make vroom vroom noises?

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
Hmm, I been talking to an auto group personnel and they were looking into deals for me on the 2014 mazda 3 s touring hb. Finally got back to me at 25600$. I know stolennosferatu mentioned end of march might have some better deals but I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be a significant difference in price? Haven't gotten back to the dealership either but they quoted about the same price a few weeks ago.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Eirgen posted:

Hmm, I been talking to an auto group personnel and they were looking into deals for me on the 2014 mazda 3 s touring hb. Finally got back to me at 25600$. I know stolennosferatu mentioned end of march might have some better deals but I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be a significant difference in price? Haven't gotten back to the dealership either but they quoted about the same price a few weeks ago.

gently caress I lost my post. Send me an SM with your email or ask your dealer what the e plan price is (should be 4% below invoice, plus freight and taxes). I think any incentives stack on top of that discount but I have to check.
Are you looking at the 2.5L touring hatchback? Automatic?

Edit: I can get you that price now, BTW

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
Yep, the 2.5L S touring HB automatic. Can't PM you (you don't permit it?). That was the price he listed as what he could get it for me, didn't include dmv fees and he didn't mention anything else at the time.

Eirgen fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 14, 2014

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Eirgen posted:

Yep, the 2.5L S touring HB automatic. Can't PM you (you don't permit it?). That was the price he listed as what he could get it for me, didn't include dmv fees and he didn't mention anything else at the time.

I thought platinum gave me PMs. SA is confusing.

For any one else looking at Mazdas, the e plan is normally reserved for employees and direct family. It's a discount that brings the price down to 4% below invoice price. Sometimes we can give them out to friends and family, depends on how sales are going.

Edit: for this particular model, looks like it'll save about $1k? I've never done this before so I'm not sure what you'll end up paying. I suggest asking the dealer what the e-plan price is.

Stolennosferatu fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 14, 2014

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
Messaged you + plat does give you PM but you need to activate it in the settings I think.

Ahh.. man, I have no idea why I'm so stuck on wanting a hatchback but I hope this is all worth it. Not going for I trim only because if I'm going to splurge, go the extra mile.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Eirgen posted:

Messaged you + plat does give you PM but you need to activate it in the settings I think.

Ahh.. man, I have no idea why I'm so stuck on wanting a hatchback but I hope this is all worth it. Not going for I trim only because if I'm going to splurge, go the extra mile.

Well I didn't get your email, but I did enable PMs!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Eirgen posted:

Does that quoted price include destination? If it doesn't, that's way too high compared to what I payed for my S Touring a couple weeks ago.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
So I haven't bought a car in a long time and the last time I got a deal from a family friend at a Chevy dealership and didn't have to haggle (god I suck at haggling). I'm seriously considering getting a Mazda6, either Touring or Sport, haven't figured out if the differences are worth cost. Beyond getting a better deal thanks to Stolennosferatu what's considered the best way to go right now. Through internet pricing or still going to the dealership? I still need to test drive the 6 but it's between that, an Altima and a Sonata.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

thecallahan posted:

So I haven't bought a car in a long time and the last time I got a deal from a family friend at a Chevy dealership and didn't have to haggle (god I suck at haggling). I'm seriously considering getting a Mazda6, either Touring or Sport, haven't figured out if the differences are worth cost. Beyond getting a better deal thanks to Stolennosferatu what's considered the best way to go right now. Through internet pricing or still going to the dealership? I still need to test drive the 6 but it's between that, an Altima and a Sonata.

If you're buying a Mazda this month, send me a SM. Otherwise... I have no idea :/.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Corksport has released a brake kit for the MS6, it's nice to see them working on new products for the platform. Rumor is MS6 specific coilovers are next!

http://www.corksport.com/blog/new-product-release-big-brake-caliper-kit-for-the-mazdaspeed-6/

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
So when I put a set of 17x8 +45 RPF1s on my car, and had some passengers in the backseat, it turns out my tires rubbed and screwed up the fender lip. After this, if I went over a pothole or railroad tracks I risked scraping the tire.

So, tonight I borrowed an Eastwood fender roller form a local guy and spent the evening trying to prevent this from happening again. All in all, it wasn't very hard. Just take a heat gun and heat the surface up to ~150 F, and do several passes of the roller. The hardest part was the portion of the lip that's closest to the rear doors. The metal is doubled up and spot welded here, and makes it much harder to bend. In addition, the wheel of the roller will hit the wheel well, so you have to do some careful maneuvering.

Here's an album of what I did: http://imgur.com/a/nI3Iv

Before:

After:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Good to know, I like RPF1s because they're so light.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
To be more specific, I think I went over a dip with passengers in the rear, and my 235-series Hankook Ventuses scraped.

They are much lighter than the 18x7 stock wheel though. With tires+air, they're 5 lbs lighter per corner.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/4379681561.html

How terrible are the automatics in the MP5?

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Had a weird moment in my Speed3 this morning, it kind of got stuck in 2nd gear, once I got it out, gearbox felt odd, 2nd was hard to get into and out of.

Tonight, driving home, still weird, then all better.

Once home I took out the Corksport short shift plate, drove around, all normal (back to longer throws). Strange?

Linkage seems OK - and I don't think it would act normal if broken.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd be changing the MTF and looking for brass (synchro) in the old fluid.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hit an Apex posted:

Linkage seems OK - and I don't think it would act normal if broken.

When the cables on my MS3 frayed (they'd been going for a while but finally went too bad to ignore when I had a shop fix the shifter shaft seal) it just cranked up the resistance to get it into any gear. It was also easy to diagnose as you could unclip them from the transmission and still have a shitload of resistance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is the cheapest MS6 I've seen pop up.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...365741045&Log=0

Last summer a 120K car with a front end collision in it's history sold for $10K. The Carfax is clean other than the rear hit which happened 70K miles ago. If I had $5K or hadn't bought the Miata I'd probably jump on this.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

This is the cheapest MS6 I've seen pop up.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...365741045&Log=0

Last summer a 120K car with a front end collision in it's history sold for $10K. The Carfax is clean other than the rear hit which happened 70K miles ago. If I had $5K or hadn't bought the Miata I'd probably jump on this.

It'd almost be worth buying this as a bucket of parts for the next time I do something devastatingly stupid to my transmission.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Revvik posted:

It'd almost be worth buying this as a bucket of parts for the next time I do something devastatingly stupid to my transmission.

I tried to do it but they sold it on Thursday.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
My 3 is in need of its first set of new tires. Not right now, but soonish. The tire size for these cars (205/50R17) has so many more options than what I'm used to that I'm a bit lost. I'm used to cars that have oddball tire sizes with only a few options, so it was easy to find a good balance. My favorite local tire shop has over fifteen (!) different tires in the size.

What are the non-MS3 hatchback people getting for tires? I live in the northeast, so I need at least all seasons, and I'd prefer a good balance of treadwear and stickiness. It's a daily driver, not all-out performance, so that's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Continental ContiWhatever DWS
Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS is supposed to be a pretty good successor to the 960as.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I got a set of Bridgestone ecopias on my '08.5 3 hatch. Pretty nice tires, very quiet, helps with fuel efficiency too.

Well, they will when they're back on. Gotta love winter tires.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CharlesM posted:

Continental ContiWhatever DWS
Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS is supposed to be a pretty good successor to the 960as.

Yeah, the Continental ExtremeContact DW is what most people seem to go for, and they are fairly cheap at $119 a tire on tire rack. And it supports US sportscar racing!

The other one I like is the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500. It's slightly cheaper at $98 a tire. And it supports US open wheel racing!

Both are true summer tires, so if you live in someplace that gets routinely below freezing in the winter, make sure you have some winters.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The Conti PureContact DWS seem to be the choice for price/performance given the suggestions here. I think those will be the ones I'll go for.

Summer tires are a no-go here, unfortunately.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I have to make my obligatory annoying car guy statement that if you live in a place cold enough to want all seasons, you're prolly better off running winters anyway. But it is a cost/hassle investment, I know.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, I know the arguments. I used to run two sets of tires on my Trans Am (on their own sets of wheels). But given the risk of the freak storms we get up here, getting caught with summer tires in even a mild snow event is treacherous. Been there, done that. Even if I did get snow tires next year, my primary set would still be all-seasons. Even then, anything's got to be better than the Yokos that came with the car, which I can not think of a single good thing to say about them.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 25, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm 100% with you, I used to have a high opinion of Yoko but the OEM tires are just awful.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
The Mazda curse struck me on Sunday night :(. I have had an immaculate velocity red mica 2013 Speed 3, less than 6500 miles, my first new car I bought back in October. Sunday night I was sitting at a red light in the right lane with a tow truck driver in the left lane. We took off from the light, then he gunned it, cut into my lane and just demolished the driver's side of my car. Didn't even slow down until he had run into me. He said that I "came out of nowhere", even though we had been sitting next to each other at the last two lights. Scrapes from stem to stern on the drivers side, driver's door damaged so badly I couldn't open it, and the passenger side wheels rashed from where he shoved me up onto the sidewalk. Unknown at this point whether there's any suspension, frame, or drivetrain damage. Cops gave him a reckless driving ticket, the dumbass even admitted to coming into my lane.

Just got her to the shop today, waiting to hear the insurance adjuster's assessment.

From this shining beauty (taken earlier in the day before the accident):

To this:

In a split second of crunching metal.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Holy poo poo that looks like it could've been a lot worse than just the car. How are you doing as far as injuries?

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
No injuries at all to me or my girlfriend. It was probably at 20-25 mph, and he merged into me so there weren't any hard impacts. I'm really hoping that the damages to the car are more cosmetic than structual. It still saddens me that the car will be tagged with accident damage. The whole reason I bought a brand new car instead of used was being able to know how it had been treated for every mile of its life.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Petekill posted:

No injuries at all to me or my girlfriend. It was probably at 20-25 mph, and he merged into me so there weren't any hard impacts. I'm really hoping that the damages to the car are more cosmetic than structual. It still saddens me that the car will be tagged with accident damage. The whole reason I bought a brand new car instead of used was being able to know how it had been treated for every mile of its life.

:( drat, those photos look bad.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
That sucks. Sorry for the damage. What happened to the door handles, did they just shear off?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dang those photos make me want to go out in the driveway and give my 3 a hug :(

Aside from just chucking it in the boot, what do you guys with 3 hatches do for a bike transportation?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a hitch installed and buying one of those fancy hitch-mounted racks. Roof rack is another option but I've been warned off that path :haw:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Petekill posted:

Diminished value claim...

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

Hit an Apex posted:

That sucks. Sorry for the damage. What happened to the door handles, did they just shear off?

They're still there, just hard to see in that crappy picture.

BlackMK4 posted:

Diminished value claim...

I'm definitely reading up on them. Anyone been through one or have any guidance?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

On that note I guess I should look into a diminished value claim as well.. but I have an '08, so would it even be worth the effort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
As far as the bike rack, my girlfriend has an over-the-trunk removable style that seems to be pretty good (straps and a small metal frame) and would fit on the rear door of the hatch, but I was worried about it putting weight on the spoiler.