Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Pick posted:

I generally agree with him but I agree with him in the opposite bad way.

"Pigs are as intelligent as toddlers. We eat pigs."

There are two potential logical moral conclusions there.

I don't think we should eat toddlers because people get very attached to their children.

I also think we shouldn't eat pets.

I have a simple but useful view of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

zoos are really good and do more work for conservation of wild species then anyone else. no one should feel bad about supporting them

keeping killer whales is pretty loving dumb though

Zoos are worse than having a world where everyone can access happy animals in their native environments.

That is not the alternative to zoos in our world, however.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

InvisibleMonkey posted:

my home-town has a cool zoo with biodomes where small animals can roam free in a climate-controlled version of their own habitat. They have a desert one, a jungle one, and one that is a bunch of gigantor aquaria. It is the only zoo that doesn't make me sad.

most zoos should not make you sad the animals are well cared for and are living a life free of constant pain and terror in the wild

obviously some are better then others and any cases where this is not true i would be against and it should be fixed.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Pick posted:

If we knew their language and syntax.

We know that they have proper nouns and suchlike, we just can't parse how they string things together. Similarly, chimpanzees can use human words (on keyboards even) but they can't grasp human syntax.

I am actually the cutting edge in animal communication science.

This is how I am able to shitpost on gbs 24/7

I am actually a six year old chimpanzee.

wanna go out somtime?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

amarantinesky posted:

I don't think we should eat toddlers because people get very attached to their children.

I also think we shouldn't eat pets.

I have a simple but useful view of things.

Singer addresses these things.

What if it's an orphan toddler with no attachments to anyone? Humans still will value it above, for example, a socially-integrated elephant (where elephants pass the mirror test, mourn and even cover their dead and dead of other species, and recognize friends after decades apart).

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pick posted:

I generally agree with him but I agree with him in the opposite bad way.

"Pigs are as intelligent as toddlers. We eat pigs."

There are two potential logical moral conclusions there.

lol, I sympathize with the individualistic ethics but I lean more toward being a land ethic person

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Motherfucker posted:

wanna go out somtime?

i am terrified of chimpanzees actually lol

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

please dont post me larping

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

That is grey and in nature, but it is not an owl. You're close though! :buddy:

Pick posted:

What if it's an orphan toddler with no attachments to anyone? Humans still will value it above, for example, a socially-integrated elephant (where elephants pass the mirror test, mourn and even cover their dead and dead of other species, and recognize friends after decades apart).

Am I a bad person if that scenario would require a lot of clarification and probably still be very hard to choose?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

gyaaaaaaaaa

InvisibleMonkey posted:

my home-town has a cool zoo with biodomes where small animals can roam free in a climate-controlled version of their own habitat. They have a desert one, a jungle one, and one that is a bunch of gigantor aquaria. It is the only zoo that doesn't make me sad.
I love these! my hometown zoo has a walkthrough enclosure with sloths and tamarins, and another one with iguanas and tortoises
another zoo I went to had a huge free-flying bird house, and a separate darkened one for bats, it was pretty great

Schmetterling posted:

Could a dolphin use speech-to-text?
Al is there something you're not telling us

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

wanna go out somtime?

lol

Pick posted:

ugh this is like my ethics class (nah I'm kidding but we did talk about Singer). I think it's basically just that we know toddlers are part of our tribe or whatever and will become adult humans with little effort. It's the same reason people care about fetuses except a couple of cells is pretty different than a 4 year old IMO.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Its wrong to eat animals, but I don't care and neither should you.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Pick posted:

you racist

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

most zoos should not make you sad the animals are well cared for and are living a life free of constant pain and terror in the wild

obviously some are better then others and any cases where this is not true i would be against and it should be fixed.

I'm friends with many zookeepers and have been behind the scenes of many zoos and breeding centers.

The thing about zoos is you have to look at them from the point of view of the animal, not you if you-a-human were in their terrarium. The elephants at the National Zoo, prior to their habitat being completely redone, were languishing. That was not enough room or stimulation for an elephant, and it was unjust. However, you can put an alligator snapping turtle in a big tank with some rocks and it will sit in the corner and snap at things that come near it and it is fine. It does not need soothing jazz or a smartphone or Arby's. In the wild it sits in the mud, almost blind, and waits for poo poo to swim near it. It will move if an insufficient amount of poo poo swims by that spot. If it has food it will be fine. If it sees another turtle it will try to gently caress it. If it doesn't it will not. No major existential crises.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Schmetterling posted:

That is grey and in nature, but it is not an owl. You're close though! :buddy:

i go against the grain

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Pick posted:

chimpanzees are really goddamn scary
loving love spiders, would not like to be in the same room as a chimpanzee
reason being, a spider cannot tear my face off

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Schmetterling posted:

Am I a bad person if that scenario would require a lot of clarification and probably still be very hard to choose?

Nah, people believe different things have different values

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i want to brutally murder all animals with pikes, harpoons, and swords.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

amarantinesky posted:

ugh this is like my ethics class (nah I'm kidding but we did talk about Singer). I think it's basically just that we know toddlers are part of our tribe or whatever and will become adult humans with little effort. It's the same reason people care about fetuses except a couple of cells is pretty different than a 4 year old IMO.

Well, if we value potential humans that why do we allow fertility treatments for couples? They by necessity dump thousands of fertile eggs.

And his point is kind of that, that we value tribal membership. But that itself is a morally troublesome position that has long been used to justify racism, sexism, and other mistreatment of "otherized" groups.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Pig Benis Disciple posted:

Are you Japanese?

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

you leave my owls alone you fucker

i've got a loving +15 iatio come at me

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

vaguely posted:

The Duke Primate Center had quite a few people who had worked with chimpanzees in the past. Some had nice stories about chimpanzees they hadn't seen in years recognizing them to get hugs. Others had stories about chimpanzees biting off fingers and raping anything they could find. :stare:

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

vaguely posted:

and even if a spider could it would at least probably eat it or make some use out of it. a chimpanzee would just toss it over its shoulder or like drape it over a rock for humans to see and be scared of

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
yeah, the main issue with zoos is enclosing species that generally have upwards of 100k ha home ranges to little 50x50 squares.

please don't

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Best Tasting! posted:

and even if a spider could it would at least probably eat it or make some use out of it. a chimpanzee would just toss it over its shoulder or like drape it over a rock for humans to see and be scared of

Chimpanzees will gladly eat the flesh of other primates, and many are active monkey hunters.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pick posted:

Well, if we value potential humans that why do we allow fertility treatments for couples? They by necessity dump thousands of fertile eggs.

And his point is kind of that, that we value tribal membership. But that itself is a morally troublesome position that has long been used to justify racism, sexism, and other mistreatment of "otherized" groups.

humans are pretty terrible and hopefully global warming wipes us all out

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Best Tasting! posted:

gently caress you man, that'd be a waste of face-meat.

Mostly I just leave the fingers, too bony.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

WoodrowSkillson posted:

humans are pretty terrible and hopefully global warming wipes us all out

that would be cool except then I wouldn't get to enjoy nature

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wildlife Analysis posted:

yeah, the main issue with zoos is enclosing species that generally have upwards of 100k ha home ranges to little 50x50 squares.

Zoos really need to focus more on amphibians and invertebrates.

I think the reason they don't tend to do so is that many of these animals are aquatic and people associate them more with aquariums, and also can't identify with them as well. But certainly zoos could stand to have more weird bugs.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

range size is a pretty bad way of judging it though since large ranges can just be the result of the animal needing to go long ways to find its food or migrate

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Nature will survive humanity so take that comforting knowledge to your cold pointless grave.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Motherfucker posted:

Nature will survive humanity so take that comforting knowledge to your cold pointless grave.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

please don't

the glory of the crowd demands it, their roses land at my feet while I smile at the pretty girl in the front row. Blood is on my cape and my suit is torn, but the day is not over

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

we can't really harm nature all we can do is maybe create a mass extinction event that leads to a shakeup of the dominant species

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Hey Australia's going to poo poo, our attorney General said people have a right to be bigots, and a bunch of important laws were canceled today. But! They've brought back knighthoods and damehoods (?). Who knows, if me or av become a notable Australian we could be Dames all official like.

I saw a tweet I quite liked: Australia's new sport - jousting! (Knights only; Dames bring a plate)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

range size is a pretty bad way of judging it though since large ranges can just be the result of the animal needing to go long ways to find its food or migrate

I think often that cognitive tests combined with consultation with experts is probably the way to go. Anyone who works with elephants knows that they need a lot of space and stimulation (and actually I am a little dubious they can be kept fairly in captivity); anyone working with sloths will tell you they are indeed sad sacks of crap.

Some animals also just work better with people and are less stressed by people. Wolves actually tend to do well in captivity. Jaguars are always mean as poo poo and will try to kill everything.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

WoodrowSkillson posted:

even if we were supposing this, it seems unlikely that an animal used to roaming potentially hundreds or thousands of miles would be content to be stuck in a small enclosure.

Pick posted:

this is what we should be doing

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pick posted:

I think often that cognitive tests combined with consultation with experts is probably the way to go. Anyone who works with elephants knows that they need a lot of space and stimulation (and actually I am a little dubious they can be kept fairly in captivity); anyone working with sloths will tell you they are indeed sad sacks of crap.

yeah intelligence is a good indicator because i do not think a wildebeest will bemoan the lack of a crossing rivers full of crocodiles along its migration, nor do i think the prairie dogs are all that upset about not getting shot or eaten by eagles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Pick posted:

Chimpanzees will gladly eat the flesh of other primates, and many are active monkey hunters.
cannibals too, if they get into a chimp war with another band

Pick posted:

I think the reason they don't tend to do so is that many of these animals are aquatic and people associate them more with aquariums, and also can't identify with them as well. But certainly zoos could stand to have more weird bugs.
yeah, amphibians are having a rough time of it and it sucks that they don't get as much public interest as other endangered species just because they're slimy, they're still awesome :(
conservation isn't only about saving the tigers
yeah animals with large ranges have trouble in zoos certainly, although the best zoos are doing their best to mitigate it by building larger mixed-species enclosures and investing heavily in enrichment activities (Colchester Zoo is a pretty good example, I think they do a fantastic job)
once you've got a bloodline in captivity, you've gotta just do your best to give those animals as nice a life as you can, and if they help people to care about their wild counterparts so much the better

• Locked thread