Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah intelligence is a good indicator because i do not think a wildebeest will bemoan the lack of a crossing rivers full of crocodiles along its migration, nor do i think the prairie dogs are all that upset about not getting shot or eaten by eagles

they have prairie dogs at the minnesota zoo and i love watching them go by and make their little "wheep!" sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Pick posted:

Well, if we value potential humans that why do we allow fertility treatments for couples? They by necessity dump thousands of fertile eggs.

And his point is kind of that, that we value tribal membership. But that itself is a morally troublesome position that has long been used to justify racism, sexism, and other mistreatment of "otherized" groups.

I think that arguments that a few cells are potential human life are silly because that would mean that women are evil for having a period :)

Tribal membership can be tricky because of what you mentioned but I think it's okay if you consider all humans as part of it.

Ultimately I think we should avoid being very cruel to animals that are smart and would feel it (although we don't know exactly which animals count so we will mess up). You probably don't need animal trials for makeup but if it's for a medicine that will help many many people... :shrug:

I don't really think you can have a perfect morality system because it's not like there's a clear point at which a fetus becomes pretty much a baby (like most people wouldn't support abortions at 8 months) and there's not a clear line between animals that we should care about and animals we shouldn't. The problem is that people want to be 100% confident that they are doing the right thing and that's where you get fundamentalism. You can only try your best and be open to change.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
pee pee doo doo fart

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
we have a big prairie dog colony at the open space/mountain parks area near my house. it's fun to watch them run around, frolicking with their plague

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

amarantinesky posted:

Ultimately I think we should avoid being very cruel to animals that are smart and would feel it (although we don't know exactly which animals count so we will mess up). You probably don't need animal trials for makeup but if it's for a medicine that will help many many people... :shrug:

Cows can feel joy.

Did you know that?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I always like seeing the meerkats, they usually have like 4 or 5 babies at any one time :buddy:
so fuckin tiny

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

im not saying all species should be in zoos but i think people really anthropomorphise animals to a huge degree and expect them to hate not doing whatever it is they do in the wild

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

vaguely posted:

conservation isn't only about saving the tigers
yeah animals with large ranges have trouble in zoos certainly, although the best zoos are doing their best to mitigate it by building larger mixed-species enclosures and investing heavily in enrichment activities (Colchester Zoo is a pretty good example, I think they do a fantastic job)
once you've got a bloodline in captivity, you've gotta just do your best to give those animals as nice a life as you can, and if they help people to care about their wild counterparts so much the better

In a sense I think zoo animals are martyrs, but necessary ones. People care about things they see. Also it's kind of lovely to say "well just go to AFRICA to see lions t:mad:". That is an impossibility for a huge contingent of the population, even in the USA. Experiencing a connection with animals should not be cost-prohibitive. And no, watching it on TV is absolutely not the same.

Zoos are also getting better all the time. Fund them and give them time. Also, occasionally animals will try to escape, then decide they like their cages better. Famous case of this with a gorilla that built a ladder in an Australian zoo. She got to the top of the wall, looked around, and went back into her enclosure.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

im not saying all species should be in zoos but i think people really anthropomorphise animals to a huge degree and expect them to hate not doing whatever it is they do in the wild

i hate not having tapeworms hooked to my gut lining and fly maggots in my skin, like my wild kin once did

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I had veal a few nights ago. My mom makes the best veal and oh my god was it good. I miss being home already knowing that tonight is some leftovers.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

like the problem is just putting them in a cage with absolutely nothing to do not being enclosed itself. active predators probably always need more stimulating things to do as the act of hunting is a way bigger then then grazing or whatever but at the same time penguins seems to do pretty drat well

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

amarantinesky posted:

I think that arguments that a few cells are potential human life are silly because that would mean that women are evil for having a period :)

Tribal membership can be tricky because of what you mentioned but I think it's okay if you consider all humans as part of it.

Singer's point is why? What justifies human exceptionalism? Humans are not by necessity smarter than other animals or able to feel more pain (i.e. the mentally impaired). We are not the only animals that are altruistic. We are not the only animals that use tools, or prioritize family, or recognize individuals. Why does every single human have more rights than any given ape? Koko the signing gorilla is still alive, but they could euthanize her if they felt like it. You can go to the vet and tell them to kill your dog and if it's legally your dog then that's that. "I'm human so humans matter and nothing else does" is begging a really fundamental question. If aliens came to Earth and were able to generally communicate with us and started eating us with the excuse "Well you're not Glopian, Glopians can eat you since you're not one of us :shrug:" would you have an objection to that?

In my mind, it's not a matter of ethics at this point, it's practicality. Our society still relies heavily on exploitation all-around and expecting us to not exploit any one contingent is sort of expecting a miracle.

Pick fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 25, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pick posted:

Singer's point is why? What justifies human exceptionalism? Humans are not by necessity smarter than other animals or able to feel more pain (i.e. the mentally impaired). We are not the only animals that are altruistic. We are not the only animals that use tools, or prioritize family, or recognize individuals. Why does every single human have more rights than any given ape? Koko the signing gorilla is still alive, but they could euthanize her if they felt like it. You can go to the vet and tell them to kill your dog and if it's legally your dog then that's that.

because gently caress animals that's why?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
i like animals

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Pig Benis Disciple posted:

pee pee doo doo fart

I concur. That's deep.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
animals scare the poo poo out of me

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

vaguely posted:

I like a thing

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i think animals are pretty boss but we won and to the victor go the spoils

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Pick posted:

Singer's point is why? What justifies human exceptionalism? Humans are not by necessity smarter than other animals or able to feel more pain (i.e. the mentally impaired). We are not the only animals that are altruistic. We are not the only animals that use tools, or prioritize family, or recognize individuals. Why does every single human have more rights than any given ape? Koko the signing gorilla is still alive, but they could euthanize her if they felt like it. You can go to the vet and tell them to kill your dog and if it's legally your dog then that's that. "I'm human so humans matter and nothing else does" is begging a really fundamental question.

In my mind, it's not a matter of ethics at this point, it's practicality. Our society still relies heavily on exploitation all-around and expecting us to not exploit any one contingent is sort of expecting a miracle.

Well see what happens when you treat an animal better than a human is the human punches you in the face, eats your animal and burns your house down for being an rear end in a top hat.

And you deserve it.

Humans are better animals than animals is generally the gist.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i think animals are pretty boss but we won and to the victor go the spoils

yes

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
humans kind of suck

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
animals like a family or two apart from me are ok because their diseases are less likely to affect me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Motherfucker posted:

Well see what happens when you treat an animal better than a human is the human punches you in the face, eats your animal and burns your house down for being an rear end in a top hat.

I would treat the average elephant better than the average person. i like elephants a lot.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
what do you mean that these people are starving and have to walk forty miles to the nearest clinic that makes sure they don't die when they have a child, I don't care please donate to make this bug that eats their poop not be endangered

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

empty quoting yourself should get your posting license revoked.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Pick posted:

Singer's point is why? What justifies human exceptionalism? Humans are not by necessity smarter than other animals or able to feel more pain (i.e. the mentally impaired). We are not the only animals that are altruistic. We are not the only animals that use tools, or prioritize family, or recognize individuals. Why does every single human have more rights than any given ape? Koko the signing gorilla is still alive, but they could euthanize her if they felt like it. You can go to the vet and tell them to kill your dog and if it's legally your dog then that's that. "I'm human so humans matter and nothing else does" is begging a really fundamental question.

I agree that it's practicality. Killing animals might be more humane than the way we treat a lot of humans tbh (sex trafficing, slaves, etc).

Human exceptionalism is because we are in the position to make these decisions about treating other animals "morally." I doubt other animals, in our place, would care as much.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

what do you mean that these people are starving and have to walk forty miles to the nearest clinic that makes sure they don't die when they have a child, I don't care please donate to make this bug that eats their poop not be endangered
you can only care about one thing ever
quick
choose

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

vaguely posted:

quick
choose

suicide

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

there is an entire ethic devoted to this idea, social ecology. ignoring environmental problems in favor of human problems is a bit myopic though

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

ban all charities and causes other then world hunger which could be solved tomorrow if countries just agreed to ship food there got it

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Pick posted:

I would treat the average elephant better than the average person. i like elephants a lot.

I would kill a billion indians to save the worlds population of bengal tigers...

The cruel irony is that if I killed a billion indians there would still be /too many indians/

amarantinesky posted:

I agree that it's practicality. Killing animals might be more humane than the way we treat a lot of humans tbh (sex trafficing, slaves, etc).

Human exceptionalism is because we are in the position to make these decisions about treating other animals "morally." I doubt other animals, in our place, would care as much.

If animals were in our position they would literally be us.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

WoodrowSkillson posted:

ban all charities

down with this

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

vaguely posted:

quick
choose

I choose cocks.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

pee pee doo doo fart

checking your post history itt again?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

I would kill a billion indians to save the worlds population of bengal tigers...

The cruel irony is that if I killed a billion indians there would still be /too many indians/

careful you are so edgy you might cut yourself

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

I choose cocks.

I knew you cared about animals

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

WoodrowSkillson posted:

careful you are so edgy you might cut yourself

seriously though India desperately needs population control

actually the world in general

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Portals posted:

if I inherited enough good genes from my mom I'm gonna age really goddamn gracefully and get a silver streak like storm from x-men when I hit 40

You mean Rogue.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Wildlife Analysis posted:

seriously though India desperately needs population control

actually the world in general

I'm gonna have ten babies just to spite you.

just kidding big families are no fun to grow up in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

amarantinesky posted:

Elephants have been shown to try to bury/cover the dead of other species, including humans, as they do for their own, and refuse to complete tasks if another animal will be harmed. Dolphins will push drowning animals back to shore (including Dick van Dyke, not a joke). One of Werner Herzog's recent documentaries included a guy talking about how his dog gave its life fighting a bear to protect him. Not every animal is cross-species altrustic, but not every human is either.

• Locked thread