Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

hihifellow posted:

I know I didn't for my first SSD. It's screwed into the floppy bay by one screw since the case predates SSDs becoming common.

huh.

My SSD is zip tied to the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Rhymenoserous posted:

huh.

My SSD is zip tied to the case.

Mine was secured with packing tape to the bottom of my old case.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

frogbert posted:

Realtalk here Lum: Your stuff is constantly breaking, are you sure you're not cursed?

Umm, I haven't posted much if anything about stuff breaking, apart from the one you quoted.

It's also not broken, just a poor design.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Jerk Burger posted:

Any time a member of management states that things are fine it is a massive warning sign that:

a. Things are not fine
b. you are about to get hosed.

Either they are lying and poo poo is about to hit the fan, or everything is fine for them (not you, never you).

Let's talk about Ames Department Stores for a minute. Ames was my first legit W-2 job when I was 16. Worked there for a year in electronics.

Ames was going through some tough times where it couldn't find its stride anymore. Wal-Mart had better stuff at the same price, and bargain fell-off-the-truck stores were handling the super-cheap market niche. Higher-end suppliers weren't interested in selling to Ames, and low-end suppliers were already gobbled up elsewhere.

None of this info came down the chain of command. Chapter 11 bankruptcy hit and it was "Business as usual", citing a similar 1990 Chapter 11 filing (which was because they were giving credit out like candy, and not because they didn't evolve to meet market demands). CEO Joe Ettore even had all the managers play a video of him saying "everything's fine!" And the managers nodded their heads and beat the company drum.

Soon after, the Chapter 7 filing was announced in the Wall Street Journal... but the stores were never notified. We found out that we were all getting laid off in a newspaper.

The managers walked out after I handed them the article.

Joe Ettore is now a Senior Exec at Management Capital. He even cites Ames as a success, for gently caress's sake.

Point is, very often not even the management knows what the top brass has up their sleeves. Usually, it's nothing good (for anyone who isn't top brass).

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 24, 2014

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
A little while ago I complained how I got a virtually 0% raise. Leading up to that raise was the annual performance interview where I used my allotted time explaining how my boss should value the fact that he don't hear about me much because that's a sign that things just work. Obviously he shook his head and rattled off the usual spiel about standing out above the crowd and being "more engaged in what's going on at work". (This means I didn't advertise "things just work!" enough, and that I'm not running around screaming when things go wrong - I shut up and get to work.

Today a firewall went down outside it's maintenance window. It's not one of my primary servers, but the guy who usually handles it is off on a month-long holiday with his family and I'm his backup so off to work I went. 23 minutes later I had isolated the error to a corrupted policy, disabled the policy and brought the TMG online again, tested that all core policies was running and had initiated a restore of the bad policy from backup. While the backup loaded I wrote a short notice about it to the relevant people and fired it off, checked the restored policy and went on my way. Five minutes later my boss drops by and tell me that was the sort of initiative he was looking for, and to keep it up.

I think my boss just told me he'd pay me more if I break my servers now and then.. or just do shoddy work. :eng99:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crowley posted:

I think my boss just told me he'd pay me more if I break my servers now and then.. or just do shoddy work. :eng99:

You've automated your uptime, now it's time to automate your outages.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Yea, just unplug something and pretend to fix it for 15-20 minutes, then plug it back in and take an early lunch. I swear this guy I used to work with would always do that.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
More poo poo that pisses you off: My boss said I don't scream enough

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Mods! Please!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Overhearing one of our helpdesk guys talk to someone at a branch office about a 'toner mess'.

"A lot of times here, at our office when we have printer problems, it's the toner cartridge. They are refurbished toner cartridges, so sometimes they don't get sealed up 100% and you'll have some spillage."

:haw:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

President Ark posted:

It had no paperclip eject doodad, that's the first thing we looked for. There was literally no purely mechanical CD ejector on the thing at all. Every method of force-ejecting CDs on an macbook except one requires you to be booted and logged into an account, and that one method that doesn't takes a hell of a lot longer than the others. If there hadn't been an account I'd been able to guess the password of on it, that CD would probably still be stuck in that drive.

I am about 76% sure that a paperclip eject hole is not typical in slot-load laptop DVD drives. This is not an Apple specific thing. lovely laptop tray-based drives have an entire host of problems that are alleviated by the slot load. Pretty sure at worst it's a break even between the two.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Overhearing one of our helpdesk guys talk to someone at a branch office about a 'toner mess'.

"A lot of times here, at our office when we have printer problems, it's the toner cartridge. They are refurbished toner cartridges, so sometimes they don't get sealed up 100% and you'll have some spillage."

:haw:

Wow, poo poo quality prints *and* airborne carcinogens. What an excellent bargain those refurb toners turned out to be.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Needful done.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Caged posted:

Wow, poo poo quality prints *and* airborne carcinogens. What an excellent bargain those refurb toners turned out to be.

Branch office, people making the decisions and reaping the financial rewards aren't there and breathing the carcinogens in.

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010
So I hear <insert software here> is an excellent caching solution. Mmkay, let's try it out. So it does master-slave replication where slaves are read-only? Mmmkay, so how do I get <insert library for api here> to read from slaves and write to the master? I... have to manually set up the application to read from slaves when necessary and write to master? The library provides no way of doing this INCREDIBLY COMMON task without me writing a wrapper over the library that wraps the api? WHAT DRUNKEN MONKEY WROTE THIS?!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
apparently, because of PCI (this was the reason given, I know its bullshit) I'm now supposed to use a proxy, shared by over 2k other employees which has 500 mb of memory on it whenever I need to access a customer environment. (as its a VM)

you can guess how well this is working.

I also had quite a few tools that I normally use forcibly uninstalled from my laptop. (Putty is unapproved, apparently. So is chrome and virtualbox.)
I'm really getting sick and tired of having to fight to do my job through crazy stupid hurdles.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Alereon posted:

Needful done.

gently caress yeah. Now let's talk about your overtime you're not getting because I need you to scream more while I'm on my boat the C:\Sick...

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 24, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nitrogen posted:

apparently, because of PCI (this was the reason given, I know its bullshit) I'm now supposed to use a proxy, shared by over 2k other employees which has 500 mb of memory on it whenever I need to access a customer environment. (as its a VM)

you can guess how well this is working.

I also had quite a few tools that I normally use forcibly uninstalled from my laptop. (Putty is unapproved, apparently. So is chrome and virtualbox.)
I'm really getting sick and tired of having to fight to do my job through crazy stupid hurdles.

"Everyone has to use Lotus Notes. PCI."

It won't work anyway, but ask for the auditor's recommendation. It's not like there's a list of "PCI approved" software. Whoever is doing this is incompetent or is just using "because PCI" as a huge hammer for bullshit they've always wanted to do.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

evol262 posted:

"Everyone has to use Lotus Notes. PCI."

It won't work anyway, but ask for the auditor's recommendation. It's not like there's a list of "PCI approved" software. Whoever is doing this is incompetent or is just using "because PCI" as a huge hammer for bullshit they've always wanted to do.

IT in this place is just a joke. I will probably look into other avenues to try and get my job done and finally :toot: when it gets too retarded.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Okay, I'll ask the dumb question: what is PCI?

Also, no PuTTy? WTF?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Okay, I'll ask the dumb question: what is PCI?

Also, no PuTTy? WTF?

PCI-DSS = Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.

Security regulations set by Visa/MasterCard/etc that you have to adhere to in order to process credit cards.

In a nutshell "Keep your poo poo patched, keep your firewall secure, audit/track/encrypt everything, and never ever store credit card info of any kind."

Usually you can use "PCI" as a panic button to get necessary infrastructure on the fast-track to budget approval. Not sure where the hell evol's team is trying to go with it, though.

:edit: Or nitrogen's. Jesus.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 25, 2014

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

nitrogen posted:

My go-to solution for this from the get-go was a USB full of standalone exes for binaries like Firefox and Putty, so that if I ended up babysitting a student lab full of rebooting/reimaging computers, I could steal the teacher's workstation and still get some real work done.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

PCI-DSS = Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.

Security regulations set by Visa/MasterCard/etc that you have to adhere to in order to process credit cards.

In a nutshell "Keep your poo poo patched, keep your firewall secure, audit/track/encrypt everything, and never ever store credit card info of any kind."

Usually you can use "PCI" as a panic button to get necessary infrastructure on the fast-track to budget approval. Not sure where the hell evol's team is trying to go with it, though.

it was my employer, unless evol was serious about lotus notes in which... jesus.

Basically, anything not on the approved list was forcibly uninstalled today. As I didnt have any other software to ssh, I had to put in a ticket to the helpdesk to get Secure CRT installed. I will have to wait until sometime midday tomorrow until someone can get around to it.

I find it silly that i'm trusted on designing and implementing hundreds of thousands of dollars of customer systems, yet i cannot be trusted with even remotely any leeway on a six hundred dollar laptop.

but, see putty is not approved because it doesn't come from a vendor. Yet one of the products we sell is Centos. Pretty neat, huh? (well we sell the implementation and management of it, since it doesnt have any licensing)

Ursine Asylum posted:

My go-to solution for this from the get-go was a USB full of standalone exes for binaries like Firefox and Putty, so that if I ended up babysitting a student lab full of rebooting/reimaging computers, I could steal the teacher's workstation and still get some real work done.

USB drives are disallowed by group policy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I got into IT to solve important problems, to help companies, to do things most people can'-

"How do I turn the server on?".

Press the button on the front ma'am *drinks heavily*.

E: What i'm trying to say is, i kinda want more job satisfaction.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

nitrogen posted:

but, see putty is not approved because it doesn't come from a vendor.
Start a side business, fork putty, and sell it to your company. Name it Vagitta or something.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

nitrogen posted:

but, see putty is not approved because it doesn't come from a vendor.

Heh had to deal with that when bringing Linux into the environment.

1.) Had to have vendor support.
2.) Had to cost $0 (unless there's an emergency).

So we went with Ubuntu.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have that problem with my boss when I fire up something that's GPL.

IS IT FREE HOW CAN IT BE FREE

Here's the projects web page and the GPL that I printed out for you

BUT HOW IS IT FREE NOBODY WRITES STUFF FOR FREE

(ask me about "How can it be secure the source code to it is on the internet for anyone to see!")

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nitrogen posted:

it was my employer, unless evol was serious about lotus notes in which... jesus.
No, I meant that as hyperbole. I'm not subject to any regulations I'm aware of at my current employer, but it was simultaneously hilarious and horrifying to leave 5 years in banking and go to a usenet provider going through their first PCI audit/implementation.

The number of ridiculous "because PCI!" restrictions which had nothing to do with PCI (or any other regulatory compliance) made me pick Lotus as a joke. Not serious.

But we used VirtualBox and PuTTY along with a ton of other "non-vendor" products in consumer banking as well. I'm not sure where your compliance officer is getting the idea that you can't use products without a vendor. Guess you better wipe all your CentOS infrastructure. And remove SSH from everywhere, since the OpenBSD Project isn't a vendor either.

nitrogen posted:

I find it silly that i'm trusted on designing and implementing hundreds of thousands of dollars of customer systems, yet i cannot be trusted with even remotely any leeway on a six hundred dollar laptop.

but, see putty is not approved because it doesn't come from a vendor. Yet one of the products we sell is Centos. Pretty neat, huh? (well we sell the implementation and management of it, since it doesnt have any licensing)
This is principally appalling since it has nothing to do with tokenization, controlled access to card data, segmented networks, antivirus, or anything else which has to do with PCI.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

(ask me about "How can it be secure the source code to it is on the internet for anyone to see!")

And this is the same guy scouring eBay for servers, right?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Bob Morales posted:

How can encryption be secure!? The formulas are available for anyone to use! And then... the solution was to snail mail a printout in plaintext... which was lost in transit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

And this is the same guy scouring eBay for servers, right?

He spent this morning finding refurbished UPS batteries on Amazon, they are coming in Thursday. 50/50 chance of them even working if you go based on our past purchase. Let's just hope the power doesn't go out until then! It's only running the routers for our internet and MPLS circuits!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

We deal with PCI but either we're ignoring the rules or they don't all apply? E.g., we have several locations that are still using Windows 2000. The POS software itself runs on Windows 7 embedded and the servers are all win 2008, but several PCs are win2k. We did a POS upgrade recently and apparently the POS management software can't be installed on win2k (or 64-bit Win7 but that's not related to this) so they're remoting into the server.

But if it's already installed, then it works fine :haw: So all of our Windows xp machines are fine, since they already have the POS stuff installed. Seems like a dumb loophole.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

My boss at first thought Cent couldn't be free because it had enterprise in the name. I was able to explain the GPL to him and how Cent is a rebuild of RHEL.

From a programming perspective, he thought that Linux was the wild wild west for over a decade since first working with it before I came around. Thanks to him teaching me C, I picked up the book The Linux Programming Interface and read it front to back.

I was able to show him how POSIX and SYSv5 follow certain design patterns and that anything in the mainline kernel generally follows these designs, and that *most* large projects that the source is available to (Gstreamer being one of them) follow these guidelines.

Now he keeps asking if there are GPL versions of any software we need, but in general understands that not everything can be free, and not everything has GPL versions of it.

I think I won a little bit there.

poo poo *not* pissing me off today?

5 day vacations motherfuckers. Yeah that's right. :smug: Going for my RHCE while I am off. :smug:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 25, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

myron cope posted:

We deal with PCI but either we're ignoring the rules or they don't all apply? E.g., we have several locations that are still using Windows 2000. The POS software itself runs on Windows 7 embedded and the servers are all win 2008, but several PCs are win2k. We did a POS upgrade recently and apparently the POS management software can't be installed on win2k (or 64-bit Win7 but that's not related to this) so they're remoting into the server.

But if it's already installed, then it works fine :haw: So all of our Windows xp machines are fine, since they already have the POS stuff installed. Seems like a dumb loophole.

The rules are basically "patch your systems within 30 days of critical vulns, make sure that people can't assemble valid transactions outside of a controlled network (and even that should be tokenized), run firewalls, antivirus is mandatory, no shared accounts, only use approved programs for payment authorization".

I seriously doubt if there are any PA-DSS certified programs for Windows 2000 in 2014. Maybe not even XP (it's only valid for three years). There is basically zero chance that your systems are patched for critical vulnerabilities given that 2000 is EOL and hasn't been patched for years, and is probably vulnerable to every 2k3 and XP vuln found since then.

You're ignoring the rules.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

evol262 posted:

The rules are basically "patch your systems within 30 days of critical vulns, make sure that people can't assemble valid transactions outside of a controlled network (and even that should be tokenized), run firewalls, antivirus is mandatory, no shared accounts, only use approved programs for payment authorization".

I seriously doubt if there are any PA-DSS certified programs for Windows 2000 in 2014. Maybe not even XP (it's only valid for three years). There is basically zero chance that your systems are patched for critical vulnerabilities given that 2000 is EOL and hasn't been patched for years, and is probably vulnerable to every 2k3 and XP vuln found since then.

You're ignoring the rules.

None of the actual POS software is installed on Windows 2000. I don't know what's going to happen once XP goes EOL, unless we're going to be setting up a bunch more instances of Dameware (or they're finally going to approve new machines but that seems unlikely)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

myron cope posted:

None of the actual POS software is installed on Windows 2000. I don't know what's going to happen once XP goes EOL, unless we're going to be setting up a bunch more instances of Dameware (or they're finally going to approve new machines but that seems unlikely)

Really doesn't matter whether the actual POS software is on it or not. Can you draw a line from that Windows 2000 system to anywhere which PCI data may be held without passing through two-factor auth?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Why do people throw away equipment once they upgrade?

Protip: that 80k SAN you bought 4ish years ago which costs ~10k to do the warranty a 3yr up on is PERFECT for a DR site.

Note: Not saying you should hold on to EVERYTHING, but when your DR plan is "scoop water out of the server room" it's time to think about your options.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's cheaper for us to lease+warranty a new, 3X as large SAN, per-year than it is to keep a service plan on our existing one, per-year

Supposedly we're getting a new one (as well as the one at our DR site) at the end of the year, I could see keeping them around for a test environment or something but that's about it.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Why do people throw away equipment once they upgrade?

Power/heat budget, no space for it, no use for it, it's supermicro, we could use money for the beer fund et c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
That old SAN is still worth a non-zero amount of money to someone out there.