Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Truely making you pay for a ticket for your journe is a crime on par with the nazi atrocities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Seaside Loafer posted:

I didnt skim over it did I, read the posts in the conversation.

I did, and I just did again. You didn't answer the question.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I did, and I just did again. You didn't answer the question.
The bit where I said its a small unmanned station (most of the time) im putting you back on ignore, you are honestly the most annoying poster and the only one ive ever put on ignore. Maybe you could just row down the camb to get to work.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Lofty132 posted:

It definitely seems to be more strict the further south you travel with regards to being in possession of a ticket prior to boarding. The Metrolink is a bastard for stinging people for fines as you can't buy a ticket on board from what I've heard.
It's probably a proximity-to-London thing, like the trains in my area (South Wales) always let you buy on the train, since only one in every five stops seems to have a ticket facilities available. Some mighty nice folk who are willing to help you get a cheaper fare if you're travelling any distance beyond Cardiff too (since it tends to be cheaper to buy two singles than a return for some reason).

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Seaside Loafer posted:

The bit where I said its a small unmanned station (most of the time) im putting you back on ignore, you are honestly the most annoying poster and the only one ive ever put on ignore. Maybe you could just row down the camb to get to work.

Hey now, don't get your soiled pants in a twist

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Lady Gaza posted:

Hey now, don't get your soiled pants in a twist
This is going to haunt me forever isnt it.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Lofty132 posted:

I don't think it's against the law to board a train without a ticket regardless of intent, it is against the law to purposefully attempt to evade the fare for the journey. And if you try and short fare a journey or take the more radical step of altering your ticket with a pen then you are in fraud territory which is when a serious hard on for prosecution begins.

No I believe that is right:

Railway Byelaws Section 18. Ticketless travel in non-compulsory ticket areas

(1) In any area not designated as a compulsory ticket area, no person shall enter
any train for the purpose of travelling on the railway unless he has with him a
valid ticket entitling him to travel.

(2) A person shall hand over his ticket for inspection and verification of validity
when asked to do so by an authorised person.

(3) No person shall be in breach of Byelaw 18(1) or 18(2) if:

i) there were no facilities in working order for the issue or
validation of any ticket at the time when, and the station where,
he began his journey; or

(ii) there was a notice at the station where he began his journey
permitting journeys to be started without a valid ticket; or

(iii) an authorised person gave him permission to travel without a
valid ticket.

(http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/uploads/nationalrailwaybyelaws.pdf)

That is in comparison to Section 5 (3) Regulation of Railways Act 1889 which deals with intended fare evasion:

(3)If any person—

(a)Travels or attempts to travel on a railway without having previously paid his fare, and with intent to avoid payment thereof; or

(b)Having paid his fare for a certain distance, knowingly and wilfully proceeds by train beyond that distance without previously paying the additional fare for the additional distance, and with intent to avoid payment thereof; or

(c)Having failed to pay his fare, gives in reply to a request by an officer of a railway company a false name or address,

(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/52-53/57/section/5#section-5-3)

I'm assuming that there are more compulsory ticket areas in places outside the south east, allowing for purchasing tickets on trains.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 25, 2014

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Metrication posted:

I assume that there are many more compulsory ticket areas in the south east than the rest of the country, hence the reason that you can buy a ticket on board a train?
gently caress knows but there are loads of completly unmanned stations. Luck of the draw if you can find and operate a machine.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Out of interest does anyone know how passenger ridership figures are gathered? Are they still done by clipboard? It seems pretty archaic when you think about it and not really that accurate.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

gently caress knows but there are loads of completly unmanned stations. Luck of the draw if you can find and operate a machine.

Well I guess you would be alright then if there are no facilities in working order :)

Testro
May 2, 2009
If it's an unmanned station, then you shouldn't have a problem purchasing a ticket on the train because you haven't been given an opportunity to purchase a ticket.

If the staff are awkward with you, I would complain to the train network - and if you don't get any joy with the network, I would then complain to Passenger Focus.

In fairness to the posters in this thread, you stated that the problem was because you arrived at the station as the train was pulling in (suggesting that you would've been able to purchase a ticket via a machine or a booth if you'd arrived earlier).

I used to live in a town with an unmanned station (and no ticket machine), and I never had a problem with buying a ticket on the train. The only problem I had was if the service was busy and the conductor didn't get around to me by the time we reached the connecting station - and on those occasions, I either went to the ticket office at the connecting station and explained, and they issued me with the ticket I needed, or I asked the conductor to issue me a ticket on the platform.

My current station is manned, and they're very hard on people who don't buy at the station top. You have to walk past the ticket booths and the ticket machines to get to the platforms, so there aren't many plausible excuses for not purchasing.

I'd be interested to hear the network's response if you contacted them.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Metrication posted:

Out of interest does anyone know how passenger ridership figures are gathered? Are they still done by clipboard? It seems pretty archaic when you think about it and not really that accurate.

In my area in the north west the rural lines are done by clipboard, if they want to assess how busy a particular service is so they can strengthen it for the school holidays then they get the guards to fill in a manual count. That's on the TOC side though not independent figures. My friend has done his PHD in Geography at Durham and during the course of it spent time working with Northern looking at their passenger numbers in the North East and admitted that the TOC had nothing in terms of solid statistics regarding passenger numbers and it was a clipboard job to map 'the human geography' of the areas in question.

Further south it's probably less farcical.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Lofty132 posted:

In my area in the north west the rural lines are done by clipboard, if they want to assess how busy a particular service is so they can strengthen it for the school holidays then they get the guards to fill in a manual count. That's on the TOC side though not independent figures. My friend has done his PHD in Geography at Durham and during the course of it spent time working with Northern looking at their passenger numbers in the North East and admitted that the TOC had nothing in terms of solid statistics regarding passenger numbers and it was a clipboard job to map 'the human geography' of the areas in question.

Further south it's probably less farcical.

My big train idea I sometimes entertain while on a dull journey is always pressure sensors in seats to detect someone sitting on them. They'd not only give you a rough (but relatively much better) idea of ridership figures but also allow you to have information screens or phone apps or something that tell you that if you keep walking there's Y free seats and X free tables. Improving how evenly spread people are throughout the train can only be a good thing and I've certainly heard guards complain that passengers clump in one coach while another is nearly deserted. Would certainly get rid of that nagging feeling you sometimes get on big trains that seat nirvana is going on in coach B and you're stuck in F with three stag dos and an annoying businessman on his phone.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Interestingly, during peak times, AbellioGreaterAnglia have staff at the gates at Liverpool Street Station so people can buy a ticket when they arrive in London.
I guess that's a combination of some stations being unmanned and there usually being no space on the train if they wanted to put a guard/RPI person on-board.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Metrication posted:

I'm assuming that there are more compulsory ticket areas in places outside the south east, allowing for purchasing tickets on trains.

Compulsory ticket areas appear to be bloody everywhere as the SRA makes them really easy to set up

Strategic Rail Authority posted:

‘Compulsory ticket area’ means any area at a station identified by a notice which indicates that people may not enter that area without a ticket or other authority allowing them to enter that area, or to travel on a train arriving at or departing from that area.

though you've got that the wrong way round, compulsory ticket areas mean they don't have to provide purchase on trains because you shouldn't be on the train without at ticket! Sometimes there are gates and sometimes there's just a line on the ground like the DLR

Also here's some lovely railway gardening, so green.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Seaside Loafer posted:

This is going to haunt me forever isnt it.

It's alright, mate, it's just bants, innit? Or, if you prefer, a joke. Like on 'Top Gear'.

Anyway, can you not just get a ticket that covers the whole journey? You should be able to get one that covers start to finish, interchanges and close-to-the-wire connections included.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

It's alright, mate, it's just bants, innit? Or, if you prefer, a joke. Like on 'Top Gear'.

Anyway, can you not just get a ticket that covers the whole journey? You should be able to get one that covers start to finish, interchanges and close-to-the-wire connections included.
Well I just want a weekly season in the brighton uni zone 1. Its actually a great deal (suprisingly) as its only 15 quid'ish and you get full access in the area after that. A single from Falmer to Lancing for example is 9 quid'ish for a day. Again I just dont get why some conductors will do it and some wont. Its not like im planning to fare dodge i'll be 40 in a weeks time, im a bit to old to jump barriers. Yes I understand that technically im not allowed on with a valid ticket but if i go straight to the conductor why will some (most) be cool and some wont?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

beep boop does not compute
people exercising discretion rather than acting like unflinching robots

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Crossrail to Reading Klaxon! Tomorrow the announcement apparently... We'll see, I've got a pint bet on not.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I don't post here often but I feel I accomplished something

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Bozza posted:

Crossrail to Reading

Why?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

crossrail's going along the gwml that way anyway, and it's not saving anything to stop short at maidenhead

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Makes operational sense otherwise you need a Reading - Slough shuttle service to maintain any sort of level of service.

To be honest, best way to run Crossrail would be like Thameslink and replace all the Oxford / Didcot / Newbury stoppers with new units (in line with GWML electrification) and run a mixture of semi fasts and locals as they do at the moment.

But that would require joined up thinking (and a total change to the Crossrail train specification).

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

london reconections have, as always, a write up of the issues here

http://www.londonreconnections.com/2014/crossrail-reading/

having fallen asleep on a train before and woken up in slough i already found the maidenhead terminus worrying. reading could be a big 'oh dear' moment.

edit: actually that was train was a reading train anyway now that i think about it. so wouldn't have been any worse dozing on crossrail.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 27, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Finally, London is getting the investment it needs.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

not all of it. crossrail's completion has already been put back by budget cuts in 2010, and the money for crossrail 2's not being put up yet.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Maidenhead remodeling was my baby for about 5 years.

Rest in peace little buddy. May the arguments about the junction signalling through the loop be now put to bed :(

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Most of the investment cash is our money anyway...

Majority of Crossrail money is from London taxpayers.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
60% apparently. Leaving only 40% paid for by everyone else. Thanks London.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

60% apparently. Leaving only 40% paid for by everyone else. Thanks London.

It is only right that the home counties should pay for something that they will benefit from.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Bozza posted:

Makes operational sense otherwise you need a Reading - Slough shuttle service to maintain any sort of level of service.

To be honest, best way to run Crossrail would be like Thameslink and replace all the Oxford / Didcot / Newbury stoppers with new units (in line with GWML electrification) and run a mixture of semi fasts and locals as they do at the moment.

But that would require joined up thinking (and a total change to the Crossrail train specification).

How so, I had it in my head that Crossrail would be Thameslink style?

Also, I just got a letter through about a Camden citizen meeting with one of the topics being HS2. What's been the brouhaha around it in Camden?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
It'll be noisy, it'll demolish the Regents Park Estate and a bunch of houses, and the current plans gently caress the markets. Camden people want the connection to run underground and be under Euston station a bit like Grand Central in NYC.

So this http://pancamdenhs2alliance.org/?page_id=951

Rather than this http://www.hs2.org.uk/press/euston-station-become-vibrant-destination-part-plans-hs2

Speaking of Thameslink style, strange things are afoot at London Bridge this weekend,
  • On Friday 28 March, no Southern services will come into or out of London Bridge between approximately 10.00am and 11.30am.
  • On Saturday 29 March and Sunday 30 March, no Southern or First Capital Connect Thameslink route services will call at London Bridge.
  • On Saturday 29 March, Southeastern services will run normally. On Sunday 30 March, some Southeastern services will be altered.
Though my favourite bit of the leaflet that's been handed out explainign what's going on is "December 20th 2014 - January 2018, Thameslink route services will not call at London Bridge"... it is a very long time and a very strange thing they're doing at London Bridge. By the end of it there will be one less platform to somehow provide a better service, but the better service seems only for the people of Kent and Sussex, inner South London on the Surrey routes can get hosed. Amusingly there used to be 19 platforms at London Bridge, and there's still plenty of space to expand, but some bright spark put a signal box in the way during the 1970s redevelopment so the platforms would only be able to hold 4 carriage trains unless it was moved.

So it's going from this to this

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Camden basically don't want any infrastructure that they won't directly benefit from; see also: Camden Town remodelling.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Metrication posted:

It is only right that the home counties should pay for something that they will benefit from.

What about the rest of the country?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Chocolate Teapot posted:

What about the rest of the country?

The Home Counties IS the rest of the country! Unless you are talking about this mystical "North" those signs on the M1 seem to point towards. Like there is anything north of Milton Keynes!

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

Munin posted:

How so, I had it in my head that Crossrail would be Thameslink style?

Thameslink:
Run by a normal TOC (soon to be merged with Southern actually)
Trains are normal semi-long distance commuter style (eg they have toilets, plenty of seating)
A variety of service patterns
Bedford to Brighton is 92 miles as the crow flies (will eventually be 121 miles when Peterborough joins Thameslink)

Crossrail:
Controlled by TfL, much like London Overground
Metro style trains (no toilets, probably 50/50 transverse/longitudinal seating)
All trains will stop at every station
Reading to Shenford is 52 miles as the crow flies

Basically Thameslink is a normal National Rail service. Crossrail is kind of a hyrbrid between National Rail and a metro service. Crossrail will be on the London Underground map, while I'm not sure if Thameslink will ever be. Crossrail is much more focused on London than Thameslink, which has an almost equal focus on the larger areas to the north and south of London.

So for Crossrail to be more like Thameslink it should be taking over a whole bunch of FGW, GA and SE services, not just a few.

nozz fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 27, 2014

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

"December 20th 2014 - January 2018, Thameslink route services will not call at London Bridge"

Oh gently caress that. I'm moving to London Bridge in Sept and work in Farringdon, and was going to take the Thameslink to work. Now I'm forced to take my life into my own hands and cycle.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

tentish klown posted:

Oh gently caress that. I'm moving to London Bridge in Sept and work in Farringdon, and was going to take the Thameslink to work. Now I'm forced to take my life into my own hands and cycle.

as they say in financial services "do your own research".
don't know how you missed something as big and long time coming as this

lol

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

nozz posted:

Thameslink:
Run by a normal TOC (soon to be merged with Southern actually)
Trains are normal semi-long distance commuter style (eg they have toilets, plenty of seating)
A variety of service patterns
Bedford to Brighton is 92 miles as the crow flies (will eventually be 121 miles when Peterborough joins Thameslink)

Crossrail:
Controlled by TfL, much like London Overground
Metro style trains (no toilets, probably 50/50 transverse/longitudinal seating)
All trains will stop at every station
Reading to Shenford is 52 miles as the crow flies

Basically Thameslink is a normal National Rail service. Crossrail is kind of a hyrbrid between National Rail and a metro service. Crossrail will be on the London Underground map, while I'm not sure if Thameslink will ever be. Crossrail is much more focused on London than Thameslink, which has an almost equal focus on the larger areas to the north and south of London.

So for Crossrail to be more like Thameslink it should be taking over a whole bunch of FGW, GA and SE services, not just a few.

Ah, kk. for a sec I thought Crossrail would be more National Raily than Thameslink rather than less. I personally was under the impression it would be roughly as national raily with you able to use Oyster cards within a certain part of the network but then also (obviously) having coverage outside it.

tentish klown posted:

Hello fellow Farringdon worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

tentish klown posted:

You couldn't just walk? It'd take 25 minutes, tops.

• Locked thread