Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

Hey everyone, I've been working on a rewrite of Awful called Something.apk.

I've been working on it privately for a little while now, so it's already come a long way. I've started a development thread in project.log where you can follow the development and post suggestions or bug reports. The current stable build is actually really stable, so give it a shot.

So, this is like an alternate version? Or it'll eventually replace Awful app as we know it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So, this is like an alternate version? Or it'll eventually replace Awful app as we know it?

Awful will stick around, this app drops support for 2.x so keeping Awful around will help those guys. Awful is already pretty much in a stable maintenance stage.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
When you mean starting over, do you mean it's not a fork with some outdated code dismembered and replaced, but rather a clone? I'm just interested in knowing whether knowledge of Awful.apk codebase will be useful here.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

OBAMA BIN LIFTIN posted:

When you mean starting over, do you mean it's not a fork with some outdated code dismembered and replaced, but rather a clone? I'm just interested in knowing whether knowledge of Awful.apk codebase will be useful here.

It's a fresh start, the only things that were copied over are the HTML templates, CSS, and some of the javascript. Everything else is new code. Knowledge of the old codebase won't hurt, but it's not needed. I really hope it's a lot easier to jump into this codebase then it was to get into Awful.

Retrofitting Awful to bring it to the condition Something is in would have taken a lot longer. There's no more provider bullshit, network requests are simpler, and it's much easier to add new functionality.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

It's a fresh start, the only things that were copied over are the HTML templates, CSS, and some of the javascript. Everything else is new code. Knowledge of the old codebase won't hurt, but it's not needed. I really hope it's a lot easier to jump into this codebase then it was to get into Awful.

Retrofitting Awful to bring it to the condition Something is in would have taken a lot longer. There's no more provider bullshit, network requests are simpler, and it's much easier to add new functionality.

Cool, I'll sync it down over the weekend probably and test it out :).

Eikre
May 2, 2009
It's pretty smooth. Can use some work catching up aesthetically with Awful, but it's already eschewed that stupid second drop-down menu, which earns some serious points with me.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Eikre posted:

Can use some work catching up aesthetically with Awful

What do you mean, exactly? There's still some placeholder graphics and colors, but overall it's already looking better than awful. Is there some specific part where Awful looks better?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Are you planning on putting it on the Play store soon?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Confirming that Something.apk is sexy as hell.

Molten Boron
Nov 1, 2010

Fucking boars, hunting whores.

Awful will stick around, this app drops support for 2.x so keeping Awful around will help those guys. Awful is already pretty much in a stable maintenance stage.
I don't have any hands-on experience with Android development, so maybe I'm missing some detail that would keep this from working, but couldn't you release Something.apk as Awful 4.0, but still keep the old APK available for 2.x devices, so 4.x users could get a seamless update without leaving 2.x users high and dry?

Eikre
May 2, 2009

What do you mean, exactly? There's still some placeholder graphics and colors, but overall it's already looking better than awful. Is there some specific part where Awful looks better?

The shorter page-turning bar at the bottom of the screen. There's no reason to make it much thicker than the icons on it; it should gently caress off to be as small as reasonable so there's more room for the actual posts I'm looking at, in my opinion.

If I was being particularly picky, I might say that I like that, in Awful, the fields of color around topic postcounts in the forum/bookmarks screen are narrower and hug the numbers more, but I concede that's much more a subjective call.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Something is better than Awful for those of us on terrible connections. Instead of bugging out with a "loading failed" message after a few seconds it seems to wait longer and ultimately loads, which has been a big plus so far.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
The new app seems nice, but I've been using Betamax for so long and I'm terrified of change so I dunno. So far I'm missing swipe back to bookmarks.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WienerDog posted:

So far I'm missing swipe back to bookmarks.
It's still there, but you have to swipe from the very left edge.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

nimper posted:

It's still there, but you have to swipe from the very left edge.

Ah, so it is. Maybe it's my phone's case but I can only get it to work reliably when I'm using two hands, but if I'm already committing two hands to the task of going back to bookmarks then it's just easier to use the <Back button in the top left corner that I can't reach with my right thumb.

edit: Playing around with it a little more confirms this new implementation of swipe-to-go-back is really lovely. I don't think it's the dev's fault because the same issue persists in the Gmail app, but maybe it can be adjusted to allow a larger "trigger zone?"

When holding the phone in my right hand it takes at least 3 swipes to hit the spot that will trigger a back swipe. I can get it to go every time if I hold the phone in my left hand and stab the side of the screen with my right hand's pointer finger and swipe over, but it's easier just to tap <Back at that point.

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 20, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WienerDog posted:

Ah, so it is. Maybe it's my phone's case but I can only get it to work reliably when I'm using two hands, but if I'm already committing two hands to the task of going back to bookmarks then it's just easier to use the <Back button in the top left corner that I can't reach with my right thumb.

edit: Playing around with it a little more confirms this new implementation of swipe-to-go-back is really lovely. I don't think it's the dev's fault because the same issue persists in the Gmail app, but maybe it can be adjusted to allow a larger "trigger zone?"

When holding the phone in my right hand it takes at least 3 swipes to hit the spot that will trigger a back swipe. I can get it to go every time if I hold the phone in my left hand and stab the side of the screen with my right hand's pointer finger and swipe over, but it's easier just to tap <Back at that point.

There looks like there was an update made for swiping just now located in the most recent post in its thread.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

There looks like there was an update made for swiping just now located in the most recent post in its thread.

I thought this was its thread? :confused:

e: Oh, there's a link in that same post I read earlier. Sorry for making GBS threads up this thread. :downswords:

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 21, 2014

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Totally forgot to post this here too:

Sereri posted:

Started on the navigation drawer stuff I mentioned a while ago.

https://github.com/Sereri/Awful.apk/tree/sidebar

Sereri posted:

The full-fledged version is going into the beta tomorrow unless there are major bugs.

And since someone had a major bug I'd rather post it here before sending it out for beta.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
So we've got two competing SA apps going now?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I appreciate a new fresh start. One thing missing from Something is adjustable font size. Default is very tiny on Nexus 10.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sereri started work on the update while Something was in early development. It's not even really competing, Something is still in development and even beyond that Awful is still required to fit specific needs, especially for anyone on 2.x devices.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Free market, bitches!

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012
As long as Something doesn't have the bug that causes Awful to randomly drop huge black boxes on the thread display I'm game.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

I don't remember seeing Awful update today, but after having used it earlier today without issue I woke up my tablet and all Awful will display is this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0f9xpb25qlmxx2/14%20-%201.png

I can access the settings and stuff, but it crashes if I press the little frog. Tried clearing cache and data, log out and in, and reinstall to no avail. I was in the Google group, but leaving doesn't give me a version earlier than 3.0.8.

Hp Touchpad with CyanogenMod 4.2.2

Any ideas?

Stormangel fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 25, 2014

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Stormangel posted:

I don't remember seeing Awful update today, but after having used it earlier today without issue I woke up my tablet and all Awful will display is this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0f9xpb25qlmxx2/14%20-%201.png

I can access the settings and stuff, but it crashes if I press the little frog. Tried clearing cache and data, log out and in, and reinstall to no avail. I was in the Google group, but leaving doesn't give me a version earlier than 3.0.8.

Hp Touchpad with CyanogenMod 4.2.2

Any ideas?

Guess I should've tested that one fix on a tablet too. Uploaded the fix to Play, quick fix here

Sereri fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 28, 2014

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Sereri posted:

Quickest fix in the West (or wherever you are)

Has anyone told you that you're awesome lately? Because you are.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sereri posted:

Guess I should've tested that one fix on a tablet too. Uploaded the fix to Play, quick fix here

I just went out and downloaded the this update (the previous one that I got this morning just crashed) and I get what the other person gets. Just that fancy screen but I can't get to anything else. Well, I can get to settings and to PMs, but not bookmarks or the forums.

Motorola Xoom stock Android 4.1.2.

Edit: another update to Awful and now it's back to normal. Thanks!

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 25, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
e: nevermind, loving work wifi

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
On a Nexus 7 in landscape if I read a thread, go back to the thread/bookmark list and there is a new reply to the thread you read, if you touch the thread it will just slide you back over to the thread view and then if you refresh (both pull to refresh and the refresh button) Awful will stop working. I've done it 3 times today.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I just noticed that Awful's new slide-in-menu-and-tappable-frog-icon functionality disappears when you bring up the Private Messages screen.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Suzuran posted:

As long as Something doesn't have the bug that causes Awful to randomly drop huge black boxes on the thread display I'm game.

This happens every time I leave the app running and open something else on my phone, then go back to it.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The new app is great, compliments! It's already faster, more stable and very easy to use. Right now the only thing I miss from the old app is the fullscreen mode.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I experienced a few crashes today with the new version - specifically when replying to a PM. Sorry this is vague, but it happened.

Does the app send logs when it crashes? Happened about ~11am Pacific today if so.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hotsauce posted:

I experienced a few crashes today with the new version - specifically when replying to a PM. Sorry this is vague, but it happened.

Does the app send logs when it crashes? Happened about ~11am Pacific today if so.

I'm seeing your crashes but the stack trace shows its not Awful itself. Looks like the spell checker is crashing for some reason. Is this happening in other apps too? Hangouts or whatever messaging app maybe?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've been getting a bunch of crashes with the new version as well. I haven't really paid any attention as to when it crashes so I'll keep a lookout. I've sent some reports though.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spankmeister posted:

I've been getting a bunch of crashes with the new version as well. I haven't really paid any attention as to when it crashes so I'll keep a lookout. I've sent some reports though.

Sorry, I totally missed those crash reports for some reason.

Fix for the crashes is uploaded to GP, apk here. Hope that'll help until I figure out what's actually the problem.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 3, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri posted:

Sorry, I totally missed those crash reports for some reason.

Fix for the crashes is uploaded to GP, apk here. Hope that'll help until I figure out what's actually the problem.

Grabbed it from the GP. Many thanks for the quick fix, we'll see how it goes. :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Running the latest G+ beta I haven't had any crashes yet. :)

I did find a bug, as the unbookmark button from the drop down in the thread view doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Just adding my thing onto the pile:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621827&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post427784665

The app really hates Korean and Japanese script, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

Just adding my thing onto the pile:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621827&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post427784665

The app really hates Korean and Japanese script, sadly.

This should be fixed in the next update.