Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

powerful weedlock posted:

virgindar is very real, especially in a group talking about sex. im not even kidding its exactly like that scene in the 40-year-old virgin where they play poker
Can you post some actual examples cause I feel like this never actually comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EN Bullshit
Apr 5, 2012
It's actually pretty straightforward. I'd say at least 90% of the people who claim to be virgins in this thread are virgins by my virgindar.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ArbitraryC posted:

Can you post some actual examples cause I feel like this never actually comes up.

It has for me in the past. Generally people that enjoy having sex like to talk about it like any other thing they do for fun. Generally I wound up either awkwardly not contributing anything, or getting godawful confused at some of the poo poo that people get off on. It's not something likely to come up when your social activities are full of other virgins or people more shut in about their sex life, but it makes telling who in the group is a virgin really obvious.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?

EN Bullshit posted:

It's actually pretty straightforward. I'd say at least 90% of the people who claim to be virgins in this thread are virgins by my virgindar.

Your bedroom mirror is not this thread. hth

EN Bullshit
Apr 5, 2012

Starter Wiggin posted:

Your bedroom mirror is not this thread. hth

Well, yeah, I don't say I'm a virgin when I'm in front of my bedroom mirror.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

I don't mean that someone would necessarily guess that you're a virgin on the first encounter, just that it's often fairly obvious to people who know you at all. It's less about appearance and more about how a person acts when sex and dating come up or around a person they are attracted to.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

It has for me in the past. Generally people that enjoy having sex like to talk about it like any other thing they do for fun. Generally I wound up either awkwardly not contributing anything, or getting godawful confused at some of the poo poo that people get off on. It's not something likely to come up when your social activities are full of other virgins or people more shut in about their sex life, but it makes telling who in the group is a virgin really obvious.

Which I present as further evidence that my friends are all mostly virgins. The only time sex has ever come up is when the partnered friend came back from overseas where he'd met his girlfriend and boasted about his endeavours while the rest of us awkwardly smiled.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

amarantinesky posted:

I don't mean that someone would necessarily guess that you're a virgin on the first encounter, just that it's often fairly obvious to people who know you at all. It's less about appearance and more about how a person acts when sex and dating come up or around a person they are attracted to.

This is a truly asinine judgment because there's thousands and thousands and thousands of socially awkward men and women out there who aren't virgins. What's to say some dude who is weird around girls hasn't been in a long-term relationship and around the block many times?

I know goons love to generalize, but it's really easy to have sex for the vast majority of humanity, no matter their circumstances or personality flaws. It's an ordinary activity that most adult humans partake in.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 24, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArbitraryC posted:

Everyone else beat me to it but yeah, it's because virgoons are awkward when people talk about sex/dating, or when interacting with ~~ the opposite sex ~~. People who just aren't big sexhavers just seem disinterested, and its a p clear difference.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Killer Queen posted:

This is a truly asinine judgment because there's thousands and thousands and thousands of socially awkward men and women out there who aren't virgins. What's to say some dude who is weird around girls hasn't been in a long-term relationship and around the block many times?

I know goons love to generalize, but it's really easy to have sex for the vast majority of humanity, no matter their circumstances or personality flaws. It's an ordinary activity that most adult humans partake in.

I don't mean it as a judgment against virgins or socially awkward people, and obviously it's not a rule. But I think a lot of time people can "tell," not that it's a bad thing, it's just that people make assumptions and they are often correct.

I'm not invested in this theory or anything. But someone carrying this would definitely know.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

amarantinesky posted:

I don't mean it as a judgment against virgins or socially awkward people, and obviously it's not a rule. But I think a lot of time people can "tell," not that it's a bad thing, it's just that people make assumptions and they are often correct.

I'm not invested in this theory or anything. But someone carrying this would definitely know.

I can tell you're a virgin by this post.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

I can tell you're a virgin by this post.

I'm not I'm sorry you have bad virgin radar. :(

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

amarantinesky posted:

Lemme tell you a little story that should resonate with this terrible thread. Back in high school about a decade ago, I had this friend who was the gooniest massively overweight super loud dude with the most goofy smile and no filter in social situations whatsoever. He played pen-and-paper RPGs, wore anime shirts, the whole nine yards. If you looked at him, you would absolutely think he was a virgin then and for many years to come. But he had a long-term girlfriend that he was almost certainly having sex with. Everyone knew it. This was, again, a decade ago and I'm sure he (and probably all of the other huge dorky nerds in my high school social circle) is still having sex semi-regularly. Like most adults do. In short, you're a moron and generalizing people's lives based on their social standing is truly the gooniest thing.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 24, 2014

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Killer Queen posted:

Lemme tell you a little story that should resonate with this terrible thread. Back in high school about a decade ago, I had this friend who was the gooniest massively overweight super loud dude with the most goofy smile and no filter in social situations whatsoever. He played pen-and-paper RPGs, wore anime shirts, the whole nine yards. If you looked at him, you would absolutely think he was a virgin then and for many years to come. But he had a long-term girlfriend that he was almost certainly having sex with. Everyone knew it. This was, again, a decade ago and I'm sure he (and probably all of the other huge dorky nerds in my high school social circle) is still having sex semi-regularly. Like most adults do. In short, you're a moron and generalizing people's lives based on their social standing is truly the gooniest thing.

Why are you getting so defensive? I specifically said that you can't necessarily tell just by LOOKING at someone, you can tell by knowing them. So yeah if you know him you know he's got a girlfriend and is probably having sex.

Can't tell why you are so opposed to the statement "your friends can probably tell if you're a virgin" but chill out. I never once criticized goony people or said to judge people on their social standing so you should stop projecting.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
Some people like to gently caress ugly people. Some hot people don't care about sexual relationships. You can no more tell someone is a virgin from looking at them than you can tell someone is gay.

Also some sex havers give no fucks about talking about it with their goony rear end weirdo friends who over share their own sex lives.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

car dance posted:

Some people like to gently caress ugly people. Some hot people don't care about sexual relationships. You can no more tell someone is a virgin from looking at them than you can tell someone is gay.

So, sometimes then?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
People's behavior allow others to guess their virginity at a rate better than something randomly guessing would. (At whatever the virginity percentage is? Probably real low). That doesn't mean they have perfect accuracy either. None of this is surprising and I don't think anyone disagrees with each other. (*joke about this post here*)

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
What about religion? Some of the only virgins I know of are also devout Christians and such who are saving their sexuality for marriage. Would you agree that a single Born Again Christian would be considered a virgin? Also, how would you classify born again virgins?

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 643 days!)

if you're already a virgin why do you need to be born again?

anyway it's not so much that you can tell if someone has had sex or not it's that you can tell if someone lacks the attributes of a fuckable person like an ok body decent hygiene a bit of self respect and something resembling financial independence. if you can't meet someone's eyes when you talk or you smell like a corpse then it's not exactly a huge leap to "huh i bet the gender of this person's preference is not exactly beating down their door begging to get sexed up by them"

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 643 days!)

like when i took my computer in for repairs a few months ago and the dude behind the counter got out of breath while typing and brought up reddit out of nowhere and smelled like a yeast infection i was like "hmmm this dude is probably a virgin" but i did not check his penis for vagina residue to make final confirmation

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

amarantinesky posted:

I'm not I'm sorry you have bad virgin radar. :(

Nope its still going off.

Honestly your video-game related posts in e/n were a dead giveaway, stop lying.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

Nope its still going off.

Honestly your video-game related posts in e/n were a dead giveaway, stop lying.

I don't really talk about video games or play that many so no. I'm lying in bed next to my sleeping fiance I'm not a virgin, but it's nice that you care so much.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

amarantinesky posted:

I don't really talk about video games or play that many so no. I'm lying in bed next to my sleeping fiance I'm not a virgin, but it's nice that you care so much.

He just wished it was him. He wanted to be your first.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Veryslightlymad posted:

He just wished it was him. He wanted to be your first.

but alas, he only fucks mothers

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

The Real Foogla posted:

Great way to avoid having sex with a virgin, though

car dance
May 12, 2010

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

like when i took my computer in for repairs a few months ago and the dude behind the counter got out of breath while typing and brought up reddit out of nowhere and smelled like a yeast infection i was like "hmmm this dude is probably a virgin" but i did not check his penis for vagina residue to make final confirmation

This I can agree with. "plays video games" not so much.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Real Foogla posted:

Something I've always wondered; does the word imply someone has sex with mothers in general, or with their own mother, or with the mother of the person addressing them as such? I feel like I need context.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

car dance posted:

You can no more tell someone is a virgin from looking at them than you can tell someone is gay.

I'm mulling this one over and I don't know how to feel about it. I feel like I could tell from a higher percentage who's a virgin over gay people, but I think that defeats your point you're trying to get across because I am saying my judgemental radar is better than most.

So I think I disagree?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

Something I've always wondered; does the word imply someone has sex with mothers in general, or with their own mother, or with the mother of the person addressing them as such? I feel like I need context.

Well in my case it is nondiscriminatory but as a pejorative its probably like 'you gently caress your own mother'

I'm glad I could help ease your autistic mind.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
This is still going on?

Of course someone can tell if you're a virgin if the conversation is about sex. It'd be like the conversation is about a movie you've heard about but you haven't seen yourself. You can't deny it's obvious. Just walking down the street? Way harder to tell.

A lot of ugly people have sex. A lot of dumb people have sex. A lot of repulsive shut-ins manage to get it on. Hell, my nerdy friends probably get the most action out of all of my friends. It really comes down to confidence, putting yourself out there and finding someone compatible. One of my gamer friends has an OKC. He doesn't like going out, drinking, travelling, or art. He doesn't want to date anyone that isn't super local. Yet, he's swimming in views and messages. He's good at conversation, is up front with what he wants and is looking for, and that formula works for him.

I suffered a real setback in my life recently. I finally got a full time job with decent pay- and I just lost it due to restructuring and cancellation of the project I was brought on for, having served 2.5 months of a 9 month contract. It was for the same company that I already worked for, and now I'm back working part time in a grocery store. I was getting ready to sign a lease, I have half an apartment under my bed and was so stoked. Now I'm back to underemployment and job hunting.

I haven't shot myself in the foot or fallen into depression though. I gave myself 24 hours to mope and scarf down lovely food, then tried to put it past me. I updated my resume and my profiles for government jobs. I put in for store management, which is permanent and pays better than even the office job I had, and am job hunting like a mofo, and trying to fill every hour of the day. I hit up all my friends, even tried to catch up with some I haven't seen in months, filling up my social calendar. Now that there's less ice on the roads and temperatures cracking zero, I'm going to get some bike riding in.

Then, my parents tell me last night that I should be looking for a girlfriend. I tell them that I'm not in a good place for that right now, as I need to focus on getting financially secure and out of their house, as well as dealing with the mental blow of having busted my rear end to get this job and to lose it so fast through no fault of my own. They lay it on, saying that it would be so much easier and better if I had someone to share it with. Pops tells me women my age are beautiful and we all laugh. My (step)mom says that she had boyfriends all through the age I am now. I reassure them that yes, the idea of a girlfriend sounds appealing, but that now really isn't a good time for me to start looking, as there is so much else about my life I have to un-gently caress now. They keep telling me that there never is a perfect time, wouldn't it be better to have to do it alone, and so on, and I walked away then. My mom says it isn't about grandkids as I'm walking away.

I'm completely baffled.

Now, the way I see it, I'm an underemployed scrub living with mommy and daddy. Who would want to date that? Where would we go back to? How am I supposed to show her a good time when I have to stay afloat, save for a new place, pay rent on my old room and all that on minimum wage? The numbers aren't there, and putting myself in a woman's shoes, I'd be seeing more red flags than a Communist revolution. Plus, I'm willing to pack up and move for another job, so I really wouldn't start something now just to break it off. Once I get another decent job, and my own place, so much of this stress will be off my back, and then I can look for a relationship with a clear head.

e: I know what I said about my situation contradicts what I said in the first part of my post, but I know that I want to have my own place and a good job first, to give me the stability I need and be in a good place mentally as well as financially. I want to be able to give a prospective partner not only love and intimacy, but also to be able to express it by doing fun and awesome things together, things which cost money. To have my own place to go back to, and take her back to. It would also be a physical manifestation of my ability to be responsible enough to take care of myself without having to rely on mom and dad to cover my rear end.

Sunshine89 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 25, 2014

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Sunshine89 posted:

This is still going on?

Of course someone can tell if you're a virgin if the conversation is about sex. It'd be like the conversation is about a movie you've heard about but you haven't seen yourself. You can't deny it's obvious. Just walking down the street? Way harder to tell.

I really don't think this is true. Plenty of people who've had sex are shy about it or don't like to talk about it. Yeah if you try to make up weird stories you might pull a 40 year old virgin but if you just deflect no one is going to leap to the assumption its because it didn't happen.

You may feel self conscious and awkward and like everyone must know, but the reality is most people don't care enough to put 2 and 2 together.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 25, 2014

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Sunshine89 posted:

Of course someone can tell if you're a virgin if the conversation is about sex. It'd be like the conversation is about a movie you've heard about but you haven't seen yourself.

Looks like somebody never went to film school.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
There are always the possibilities that someone does not want to talk about sex with you and is evasive. Or they are just messing with you because you are a creepy goon and they are saying the most outrageous poo poo.

e. And it is not as if those two options are far-fetched. I avoid sex talk with my friends because I don't want to talk to them about it. No sinister virgin-hiding agenda.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Motherfucker posted:

I'm glad I could help ease your autistic mind.

Now that's just rude, I wasn't being judgmental about your penchant for mothers, there was no need to lash out at me like that.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

When you think about it, every dad is a motherfucker

car dance
May 12, 2010

Spiffo posted:

When you think about it, every dad is a motherfucker

Unless he stops loving her before she gives birth. Did you think of that? Probably not.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

ejstheman posted:

1) I have experienced many failures when trying, and therefore believe that failure is likely when I try.
2) I have experienced failure universally when not trying, and therefore believe that failure is guaranteed when I don't try.
3) I have experienced both pain and nothingness, and prefer the latter.
4) Failure from not trying feels like nothing.
5) Failure from trying is painful.
6) Given a certain probability of success when trying, a certain aversion to the pain from failure, etc., you can calculate whether it's worth it to try or not.
7) Such calculations are not generally carried out with numbers (since numbers are not generally available), but in the intuition of people who are familiar with the situation.
8) I am more familiar with my situation than anyone else.
9) My intuition is more trustworthy on this matter than anyone else's.
10) My intuition is that it is not worthwhile to try.
11) Therefore, my best strategy for minimizing the pain in my life is to do nothing.

An 11-step proof including a wikipedia cite re: why it's best to do nothing, ever.

This post is peak goon.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

Now that's just rude, I wasn't being judgmental about your penchant for mothers, there was no need to lash out at me like that.

I'm sorry I just assumed

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Namarrgon posted:

There are always the possibilities that someone does not want to talk about sex with you and is evasive. Or they are just messing with you because you are a creepy goon and they are saying the most outrageous poo poo.

e. And it is not as if those two options are far-fetched. I avoid sex talk with my friends because I don't want to talk to them about it. No sinister virgin-hiding agenda.

One of my aquantances at the bar I go to is always talking about who he would "do" whenever an unfamiliar woman walks into the bar. I always tell him to shut up whenever he starts that up because it's annoying as hell.

I've been considering taking up a collection to get him laid so he'll leave us alone about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Arch Stanton posted:

An 11-step proof including a wikipedia cite re: why it's best to do nothing, ever.

This post is peak goon.

Did you even actually read the post you cut that out of?

• Locked thread