Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I'm actually eating most of it raw, peeled, and cut into matchsticks or thin slices. I don't enjoy the taste of cooked ginger or ginger tea much but it's a lifesaver for nausea. Would it suffer if I cut it before putting it in? I imagine it might be a little difficult to cut once it freezes solid.

Nope, cut it and freeze it it'll be fine. You could also store it in some sort of liquor in the fridge, if that's your thing. Brandy/vermouth/sherry infused ginger sticks.

This is also an idea for ease of use, from here:
Freeze: When I have one of those moments at the store and forget I that I already have 2 pounds of ginger in the refrig…and end up with ginger overload, I use a the handy microplane grater to grate the entire root. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap on your counter and spoon the ginger on top in a nice even line. Roll up tightly, twist the ends (hmmm….reminds me of something i used to to do when i was in college) like a piece of candy and freeze. When you need, just unwrap, snap off a chunk and it defrosts quickly.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I'm actually eating most of it raw, peeled, and cut into matchsticks or thin slices. I don't enjoy the taste of cooked ginger or ginger tea much but it's a lifesaver for nausea. Would it suffer if I cut it before putting it in? I imagine it might be a little difficult to cut once it freezes solid.

it cuts okay frozen. not easily or neatly but okay. it grates quite well frozen. you'd just have to leave it out a bit to thaw afterwards. freezing it in pieces might not work as it's quite susceptible to freezer burn.

e: or maybe it will work frozen in pieces! I've never tried that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I usually freeze some whole knobs and freeze minced ginger pre-portioned into tablespoon and half tablespoon quantities. Just toss em in a sauce that way. I've never noticed anything wrong about it.

You're gonna want to wrap the minced stuff in like four layers of bags though, unless you love everything in your freezer being gingery.

E: What's a good way to do saffron rice in a basic rice cooker? Basmati is super expensive here so I'd just be using basic short grain Asian sticky rice.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 25, 2014

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

If you're doing matchsticks, do a whole bunch of them, lay them on a plate or baking sheet lined with parchment, and then freeze it hard.

BigCheese: I'm guessing there's /no/ long grain of any other sort, like jasmine or just long grain rice in general? If not, you're going to end up with a sticky mess. Save the saffron for the occasions when you can get the expensive rice. Come to think of it, saffron is pretty drat expensive too. o_O How can you afford the one but not the other? Is Basmati that expensive out there? :O

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

dino. posted:

BigCheese: I'm guessing there's /no/ long grain of any other sort, like jasmine or just long grain rice in general? If not, you're going to end up with a sticky mess. Save the saffron for the occasions when you can get the expensive rice. Come to think of it, saffron is pretty drat expensive too. o_O How can you afford the one but not the other? Is Basmati that expensive out there? :O

Basmati is the only long grain I've seen, it's like $13 for a half kilo bag. Saffron's expensive (which is why I don't want to waste it experimenting) but it goes a long way; it's not like I can't afford basmati at all but it's just a waste of money. The stickiness would change the flavor?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Grand Fromage posted:

Basmati is the only long grain I've seen, it's like $13 for a half kilo bag. Saffron's expensive (which is why I don't want to waste it experimenting) but it goes a long way; it's not like I can't afford basmati at all but it's just a waste of money. The stickiness would change the flavor?

It really does. Basmati cooks up really fluffy and separate. It's also got that aroma that goes really well with saffron. THAT BEING SAID. The Spaniards use saffron in their paella all the time, and they're using a medium grain (or is it short grain) rice to make that, so what the hell do I know. Throw a few threads in with your next pot, see how it tastes, and go from there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

dino. posted:

It really does. Basmati cooks up really fluffy and separate. It's also got that aroma that goes really well with saffron. THAT BEING SAID. The Spaniards use saffron in their paella all the time, and they're using a medium grain (or is it short grain) rice to make that, so what the hell do I know. Throw a few threads in with your next pot, see how it tastes, and go from there.

Do you have to grind it up into a paste or can you just let the threads sit in the water a while to bloom? I see both ways mentioned and have never tried either before.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Grand Fromage posted:

Do you have to grind it up into a paste or can you just let the threads sit in the water a while to bloom? I see both ways mentioned and have never tried either before.

I bloom a big pinch in whatever broth I'm adding to the paella

You want to use valencia or bomba rice to be authentic but you can do it with regular short or medium-grain white rice. Just make sure you rinse the crap out of it, you don't want any of the starch or thickness.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Is there a grill recommendation/ general grilling thread? Looking to purchase a (probably natural gas) grill in the next couple of months and don't really know what I need other than hearing good things about Weber and Holland.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

The Bunk posted:

Is there a grill recommendation/ general grilling thread? Looking to purchase a (probably natural gas) grill in the next couple of months and don't really know what I need other than hearing good things about Weber and Holland.

I've been using this for about 4 years, and I really like it, I get to use iether charcoal or gas, and could attach a smoke box to it if I wanted:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_5050-49769-5050_0__?productId=1245537&Ntt=char+griller&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dchar%2Bgriller&facetInfo=

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Have you considered using candied ginger?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Didn't Alton keep ginger in sand on an episode of Good Eats?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Like a whole root of ginger? Why?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It wards off the gingerbeasts.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Like a whole root of ginger? Why?

The spice must flow.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It wards off the gingerbeasts.

Which is important.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Bob Morales posted:

There was an old Victorian era practice of storing root vegetables in boxes of sand over winter. Might work for ginger.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Dunno about rhizomes like ginger, but he keeps root veggies in sand:

quote:

Of course, I don't have a root cellar, and I can't exactly leave them in the ground in which they grew, can I? But I can simulate those conditions. Check this out. [from the refrigerator he produces a container filled with sand and with beets buried in it] Pretty smart, huh? It's play sand. From the hardware store? Don't you remember what Deb said?

DD: ... Beta maritima, the sea beet. It still grows wild along the coast of Europe and North Africa...

Well of course I cleaned it. I'm so paranoid, I even put it in a pan and ran it through the self-cleaning cycle of the oven; just in case there were any ... sand germs. Anyway, down in the sand it's always dark, whether the door is open or not, and the sand wicks away excess moisture while maintaining a proper humidity, and I don't have to tell you, it's always nice and cold down in the sand, whether you leave the door open a lot, or not.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
Modernist mac & cheese - anyone have favourite cheese combos? Suggestions? The mac and cheese thread has disappeared. :(

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

spregalia posted:

That's probably a more accurate way to describe what I want to get him. I've already explained the basics of buffalo sauce, but figured a list of other wing sauces couldn't hurt.

Print this out and give it to him.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Buffalo_Wings_with_Blue_Cheese_Dressing

Other sauces? Pfui.

The Bunk posted:

Don't get a two-burner Weber. Not enough power. Webers are nice though. People give 'em away all the time on Freecycle and such. You just have to poke the spiderweb out of the jets or replace a line or some other ten dollar part. I have three right now. Waiting for some decent weather to fix two up and sell.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Spadoink posted:

Modernist mac & cheese - anyone have favourite cheese combos? Suggestions? The mac and cheese thread has disappeared. :(

I've done a modded version trying to get close to a local restaurant's 'Mexican Mac'. It's basically just half sharp cheddar, half pepper jack, saute & mix in chorizo and onion.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cream cheese, cheddar, whole cream, w/ scallions & bacon.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
My question is when people say "modernist" anything and mac and cheese in particular, is it some GWS forum injoke or..?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Modernist Cuisine - http://modernistcuisine.com/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mr. Squishy posted:

My question is when people say "modernist" anything and mac and cheese in particular, is it some GWS forum injoke or..?

specifically, this recipe:

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Are there non-dairy variants of that worth checking out? I don't think I ever tried mac & cheese, but tbh all that cheese makes me go eugh.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

Are there non-dairy variants of that worth checking out? I don't think I ever tried mac & cheese, but tbh all that cheese makes me go eugh.

Non-dairy macaroni and cheese?

I mean, I'm all for substitutions for food preferences/etc, but that's not happening in this case.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Kenji alt-lopez did a vegan mac n cheese for his vegan month:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/02/vegan-stovetop-style-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe.html

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I mean, I'm all for substitutions for food preferences/etc, but that's not happening in this case.

Kenji disagrees.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/02/vegan-stovetop-style-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe.html

E:F,B

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It uses vegan nacho cheese sauce. Heh. I mean potatoes, cashews and vegetable shortening are probably fine, but that still sounds ridiculous.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
that's poo poo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It uses vegan nacho cheese sauce. Heh. I mean potatoes, cashews and vegetable shortening are probably fine, but that still sounds ridiculous.

I've never tried it and probably wouldn't but I remembered reading it.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Well that "nacho sauce" looks interesting, I'll give it a try, thanks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Whole foods has some kind of good mac and cheese that's gluten free or dairy free or something on the buffet.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking for a wing sauce recipe...trying for something sweet/hot like either a honey/hot sauce recipe or mango habanero.

Any suggestions? I'll be using Kenji's baking method for the wings themselves.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - I've had something similar to this and it was fuckin' delicious.
http://blogs.food24.com/bitsofcarey/2010/06/08/mrs-balls-chutney-chicken-wings/

I've been tasked with making peanut butter fudge; I've never made fudge before. I see two main variants, one with milk and one without. Some have flour in the recipe as well, that seems weird, though.

Am I better just going PB, butter & sugar (and chocolate bits), or does the milk add something more spectacular into the texture and flavor?

I'm almost tempted to just go with a peanut butter smore cookie bar instead, but I don't want to get yelled at. :ohdear:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 26, 2014

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm going to a big ol' potluck on Sat and I've volunteered to bring chips and dip. I'm confident I can make good guacamole, but I'm pondering supplementing it with the modernist queso (http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/). Thing is that I haven't made it before. Is it pretty much foolproof? Does it stay liquid at room temp once blended together? I already have some sodium citrate, so that's not a worry.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It gets harder the cooler it gets. It will gel.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Is modernist mac and cheese really that good? Everything I've read and seen makes it look like it's just barely dressed up kraft. I feel like mac and cheese would lose out on something without the butter, and I've never had any problems with graininess when making it the old fashioned way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

door Door door posted:

Is modernist mac and cheese really that good? Everything I've read and seen makes it look like it's just barely dressed up kraft. I feel like mac and cheese would lose out on something without the butter, and I've never had any problems with graininess when making it the old fashioned way.

Modernist Mac&Cheese sounds like it's dumb. Sodium Citrate. :jerkbag:
It's totally gussied up Kraft.

http://foodriot.com/2013/05/02/the-10-best-macaroni-and-cheese-recipes-i-found-on-the-internet
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/05/marthas-macaroni-and-cheese/

http://detoxinista.com/2011/01/move-over-kraft/ I've made this vegan 'cheese' sauce before for other things, but it tastes really good and would probably be a good vege mac&cheese version.