Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

down with slavery posted:

Saying we need 1600ppm of co2 in the air to see 3.6 degree temperature changes (over great periods of time) is just crazy, and even if it were true it's honestly irrelevant.

Actually, going into what Kafka was talking about in regards to the other method of measuring climate sensitivity, the surface temperature would be far lower than +3.6C once we reached 1600ppm. It would take decades, even centuries, to reach the added 3.6C. That's the long-term, equilibrium temperature that would be reached. That's based on the mean finding of the paper, though. Their entire range is .9 - 3.0C.

The underlying point in regards to that paper is a general trend towards diminishing our expectations for climate sensitivity. From AR4 to AR5, the numbers diminished, and studies published after AR5 (including the one just published today) are lowering our estimates even more.

im gay posted:

Can anyone recommend essential climate change books? Perhaps relating to climate change policy and the developing world?

For climate change policy & the developing world, Cool It by Bjorn Lomborg. You could also just watch the movie...the first 30 minutes of the documentary aren't that good, but the last hour is well worth the watch.

Kafka Esq. posted:

You're a jackass, you misread papers all the time, and I'm going to take the Met Office's definition of TCR and ECS over yours. gently caress you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qEsTXVj57M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Arkane posted:

The underlying point in regards to that paper is a general trend towards diminishing our expectations for climate sensitivity. From AR4 to AR5, the numbers diminished, and studies published after AR5 (including the one just published today) are lowering our estimates even more.

Are these the same IPCC reports that still aren't taking positive feedbacks into account? You seem so desperate to prove that Earth's climate isn't as sensitive as the scientific community is making it out to be. "a general trend towards diminishing our expectations for climate sensitivity" yes that's definitely the story of the science over the past 10 years. Get real.

Even if the climate were less sensitive to emmissions than previously thought, outside of a few orders of magnitude (which we're not seeing here), it literally doesn't matter. "We did the math wrong, we're going to see an sea ice free arctic in 2017 instead of 2016". Pointless and the only reason you're posting it here is to create some doubt in the eyes of posters who haven't seen your lovely song and dance before.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 25, 2014

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3211218&userid=64257
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3151474&userid=64257

I like that you're been doing this poo poo for 5 years.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 25, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

There were a few months of bliss where is was instaprobated for ever posting in the Climate Change thread. Xandu, why have you forsaken us?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Are these the same IPCC reports that still aren't taking positive feedbacks into account? You seem so desperate to prove that Earth's climate isn't as sensitive as the scientific community is making it out to be. "a general trend towards diminishing our expectations for climate sensitivity" yes that's definitely the story of the science over the past 10 years. Get real.

I'm not desperate for anything. I've been posting for years about exaggerations in the climate models. Scientists are dialing back expectations for positive feedbacks GIVEN what we have observed, and therefore climate sensitivity estimates are also decreasing. It bears repeating that we've had around 14 years of stasis where there has not been any trend in global temperature. That is hard data. This contrasts quite strongly with climate models that expect .2C of warming per decade in the early 21st century. The forecasts are wrong. Therefore the assumptions that created the forecast (climate sensitivity) are being redone.

I read a lot of climate stuff. This is the most alarmist, most delusional corner of the Internet on climate that I've encountered. You've got duck monster who thinks the pause is falsified data. You've got people unironically quoting some lunatic on the Internet saying we're going to get 20C of warming by 2100 based on 4th grade level math. There is not going to be an ice-free arctic, even for a single day, for decades, yet people think it can happen next year. If you're getting your knowledge from this thread, you would have such an overabundance of wrong information that you would be worse off than someone who doesn't know anything about this topic at all.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Arkane posted:

It bears repeating that we've had around 14 years of stasis where there has not been any trend in global temperature. That is hard data. This contrasts quite strongly with climate models that expect .2C of warming per decade in the early 21st century. The forecasts are wrong. Therefore the assumptions that created the forecast (climate sensitivity) are being redone.

Dear god.

Look at how that red sliver slowed down guys for the past 8 years, we are in the clear, nothing to see here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUO23Y179pU - note how in the past 8 years nothing has changed. Duck monster, are you blind or something?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That is a chart of OHC, not surface temperature.

In fact the paper that began this whole shindig is based on far more intensive analysis of OHC than has been done in previous ECS studies.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Arkane posted:

That is a chart of OHC, not surface temperature.

In fact the paper that began this whole shindig is based on far more intensive analysis of OHC than has been done in previous ECS studies.

Yes, and when you start talking about "the land isn't heating up as fast as we thought" maybe there's a explanation for that other than "the models are all wrong, climate is less sensitive" which is what you continue to espouse regardless of what evidence is put forth at your feet.

Arkane posted:

There is not going to be an ice-free arctic, even for a single day, for decades, yet people think it can happen next year.

Here's a paper for you ya loving moron: http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-earth-042711-105345

quote:

Given the estimated trend and the volume estimate for October–November of 2007 at less than 9,000 km3 (Kwok et al. 2009), one can project that at this rate it would take only 9 more years or until 2016 ± 3 years to reach a nearly ice-free Arctic Ocean in summer. Regardless of high uncertainty associated with such an estimate, it does provide a lower bound of the time range for projections of seasonal sea ice cover. (We do note that other published estimates also have large or indeterminate uncertainties.) At the same time, observational proxies of ice thickness (Maslanik et al. 2011) and independent model estimates (Polar Science Center 2011) of sea ice volume suggest a further decline of ice volume since 2007.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 25, 2014

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Yes, and when you start talking about "the land isn't heating up as fast as we thought" maybe there's a explanation for that other than "the models are all wrong, climate is less sensitive" which is what you continue to espouse regardless of what evidence is put forth at your feet.

The ocean taking in more heat than we anticipated would be pretty much exactly "the models are all wrong, climate is less sensitive."

Needless to say, due to both volume and density, the ocean has the capacity to store multiple magnitudes more heat than the atmosphere.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Arkane posted:

The ocean taking in more heat than we anticipated would be pretty much exactly "the models are all wrong, climate is less sensitive."

Needless to say, due to both volume and density, the ocean has the capacity to store multiple magnitudes more heat than the atmosphere.

No it's not because the ocean just "taking in more heat" actually impacts the globe in negative ways outside of just temperature change. I know you know what ocean acidification is and are just being a dense retard, so I'm not going to bother explaining. Anyone reading the thread can take a look at any five pages and see a well written explanation by someone (probably explaining it to Arkane)

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

No it's not because the ocean just "taking in more heat" actually impacts the globe in negative ways outside of just temperature change. I know you know what ocean acidification is and are just being a dense retard, so I'm not going to bother explaining. Anyone reading the thread can take a look at any five pages and see a well written explanation by someone (probably explaining it to Arkane)

Heat sinking into the ocean is different than carbon dioxide dissolution/ocean acidification. You're getting off topic...what does this have to do with modeling surface temperature?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Arkane posted:

Heat sinking into the ocean is different than carbon dioxide dissolution/ocean acidification. You're getting off topic...what does this have to do with modeling surface temperature?

Yes, yes I'm the one off topic. Heat sinking into the ocean as a result of human activity"natural processes"(or whatever you want to believe) raising the level of CO2 in the atmosphere and it's effects on those systems is well within the topic of the thread- and the reality is that "climate change" is impacting more than just the climate.

The only explanation for this post I can think of is that the Earth system is just too complex for your brain to comprehend. Maybe you should stick to economics where rich people just get to make up the rules and pretend like they are truth. Doesn't work well in this thread.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
God damnit I see a bunch of new posts in a slow thread and hope that a new, informative discussion is b

gently caress, great, it's just arkane again.

I have you on ignore but unfortunately I can still read your bullshit below my reply box, so to add content and answer your question, it has everything to do with modeling systems, you twat, not just one attribute/variable thereof.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
Also Arkane I'll agree to a toxx permaban that we see an ice free arctic before 2020. At least we can put an expiration date on your poo poo then.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Also Arkane I'll agree to a toxx permaban that we see an ice free arctic before 2020. At least we can put an expiration date on your poo poo then.

Though noble in intent this will not work my friend because Arkane is a singularly awful human being with no shame and even less insight.

Xandu has forsaken us indeed.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Yes, yes I'm the one off topic. Heat sinking into the ocean as a result of human activity"natural processes"(or whatever you want to believe) raising the level of CO2 in the atmosphere and it's effects on those systems is well within the topic of the thread- and the reality is that "climate change" is impacting more than just the climate.

The only explanation for this post I can think of is that the Earth system is just too complex for your brain to comprehend. Maybe you should stick to economics where rich people just get to make up the rules and pretend like they are truth. Doesn't work well in this thread.

Just talking past me now or what? If you have more heat sinking the ocean than you anticipated, that would imply you have a less sensitive climate. You are agreeing with me, but seem to be in denial.

As to your sea ice thing from a few posts back, last year had a bigger sea ice volume/extent than 2007. You'd probably have to drop quite a few thousand nuclear weapons to generate enough heat to melt the arctic ice by 2016. IPCC estimates ~2050 at the earliest for one day without ice, and that is probably too alarmist given their track record.

That is just you wasting $10 man. There is a 0% chance this happens. Physically impossible. I'd give you 1,000-1 odds on this. I'll toxx myself on that or whatever, but really just a completely delusional proposition.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 25, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Arkane posted:

As to your sea ice thing from a few posts back, last year had a bigger sea ice volume/extent than 2007. You'd probably have to drop quite a few thousand nuclear weapons to generate enough heat to melt the arctic ice by 2016. IPCC estimates ~2050 at the earliest for one day without ice, and that is probably too alarmist given their track record.

Does this mean you'll agree to the toxx permaban? What do you have to lose?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What's the point of setting a toxx with a deadline of 2020. No one's going to remember and no one gives a poo poo about your double daring him.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Arkane posted:

Just talking past me now or what?

That would be terrible, to read a bunch of stuff and then ignore it the next time you posted.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

That would be terrible, to read a bunch of stuff and then ignore it the next time you posted.

I get burned out pretty quick. As you can tell from the past page of this thread, it ends up being 1 against many. I don't have the time to take on 10 people at once. It'd be a full-time job arguing on the Internet. My Firefox is a wasteland of SA posts that I have responses typed out but I don't feel like spending 8 hours defending it even if I feel I am right.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Should create a spreadsheet with predictions and look back at them every once in a while.

Year with one-day of ice-free arctic.
Year where we reach a yearly anomaly of +1C via GISS ( 100 in the J-D on this chart http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt )
Year where electric/hybrid/hydrogen/whatever outsell traditional automobiles
Year that climate treaty is signed by China

If someone wants to think of a few more, I'll create a Google Doc (or someone else can create it, just make sure anyone can edit it).

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

shrike82 posted:

What's the point of setting a toxx with a deadline of 2020. No one's going to remember and no one gives a poo poo about your double daring him.

Yeah, who in their right mind would post on a single forum for 6 years?

Arkane posted:

For climate change policy & the developing world, Cool It by Bjorn Lomborg. You could also just watch the movie...the first 30 minutes of the documentary aren't that good, but the last hour is well worth the watch.

I recommend The Lomborg Deception by Howard Friel which is a book dedicated to explaining all of the bad science in Cool It. Bjorn Lomborg P.S is an adjunct professor of business which makes him an excellent source for great climate science.

Also here is an excerpt from his wikipedia page:

quote:

Accusations of scientific dishonesty

After the publication of The Skeptical Environmentalist, Lomborg was accused of scientific dishonesty. Several environmental scientists brought a total of three complaints against Lomborg to the Danish Committees on Scientific Dishonesty (DCSD), a body under Denmark's Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation. The charges claimed that The Skeptical Environmentalist contained deliberately misleading data and flawed conclusions. Due to the similarity of the complaints, the DCSD decided to proceed on the three cases under one investigation.
DCSD investigation

On 6 January 2003 the DCSD reached a decision on the complaints. The ruling sent a mixed message, deciding the book to be scientifically dishonest, but Lomborg himself not guilty because of lack of expertise in the fields in question:[7]
Objectively speaking, the publication of the work under consideration is deemed to fall within the concept of scientific dishonesty. ...In view of the subjective requirements made in terms of intent or gross negligence, however, Bjørn Lomborg's publication cannot fall within the bounds of this characterization. Conversely, the publication is deemed clearly contrary to the standards of good scientific practice.

The DCSD cited The Skeptical Environmentalist for:
Fabrication of data;
Selective discarding of unwanted results (selective citation);
Deliberately misleading use of statistical methods;
Distorted interpretation of conclusions;
Plagiarism;
Deliberate misinterpretation of others' results.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 25, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Arkane posted:

Should create a spreadsheet with predictions and look back at them every once in a while.

Year where we reach a yearly anomaly of +1C via GISS ( 100 in the J-D on this chart http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt )

If someone wants to think of a few more, I'll create a Google Doc (or someone else can create it, just make sure anyone can edit it).

Already thought of one, but I guess you're not biting?

Arkane posted:

I get burned out pretty quick. As you can tell from the past page of this thread, it ends up being 1 against many. I don't have the time to take on 10 people at once. It'd be a full-time job arguing on the Internet. My Firefox is a wasteland of SA posts that I have responses typed out but I don't feel like spending 8 hours defending it even if I feel I am right.

Take ten people on at once? Try taking like 99% of the scientific community, since that's who you end up disputing most of the time. Seriously, you brought up the eight year pause in surface temperatures as if it's significant. it is not for a variety of reasons that I already explained to you

:getout:

shrike82 posted:

A wild troll appears! The point is that maybe he'll be gone permanently as opposed to temporarily the last time he shat this thread to oblivion. Maybe you have a point other than just searching for my posts and disputing them because you're angry I called you an oppressor in another thread?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Arkane posted:

In light of Xanadu not autoprobating, can I propose a policy of all replies to Arkane be:

Because really, any engagement is worthless.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Claverjoe posted:

In light of Xanadu not autoprobating, can I propose a policy of all replies to Arkane be:

Someone needs to make that available without archives so that everyone can enjoy that smackdown.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rather than bothering to scream back into the void whenever Arkane posts, I find it's much more amusing and relevant to head to somewhere like The Daily Climate and pick any recent news article. If it doesn't directly prove him wrong, it's guaranteed to prove him irrelevant.

quote:

The World Meteorological Organization announced Monday that they had confirmed that 2013 was the sixth warmest year on record, tied with 2007, in their annual report on the world’s weather and climate.

The report catalogued the numerous instances of extreme weather felt around the globe last year, from drought in Australia and South America to a rare Middle Eastern snowstorm to Typhoon Haiyan, which was one of the strongest storms to ever make landfall when it hit the Philippines in November. The WMO report even linked Haiyan’s destruction to climate change, saying that sea level rise exacerbated the flooding the island nation experienced. The extreme heat in Australia was also helped along by human-induced warming, an accompanying study found.

“There is no standstill in global warming,” WMO Secretary-General Michel Jarraud said in a statement.
Source

quote:

The organization's Annual Statement on the Status of the Climate showed also that despite the oft-reported global warming "hiatus," 13 of the 14 warmest years in recorded weather history have all occurred in the opening years of the 21st century.

Each of the last three decades has been warmer than the previous one, the report adds, and the 2001 to 2010 decade is the warmest in history so far.
Source

Arkane will still be arguing that climate sensitivity has been overestimated and pretending to not understand ocean warming when Miami is underwater.

Edit: But take heart little guy! Your side is winning anyway! Hooray :toot:

quote:

The climate change deniers have won
Scientists continue to warn us about global warming, but most of us have a vested interest in not wanting to think about it

The American Association for the Advancement of Science came as close as such a respectable institution can to screaming an alarm last week. "As scientists, it is not our role to tell people what they should do," it said as it began one of those sentences that you know will build to a "but". "But human-caused climate risks abrupt, unpredictable and potentially irreversible changes."

In other words, the most distinguished scientists from the country with the world's pre-eminent educational institutions were trying to shake humanity out of its complacency. Why weren't their warnings leading the news?

When the glib talk about the "scientific debate on global warming", they either don't know or will not accept that there is no scientific debate. The suggestion first made by Eugene F Stoermer that the planet has moved from the Holocene, which began at the end of the last ice age, to the manmade Anthropocene, in which we now live, is everywhere gaining support. Man-made global warming and the man-made mass extinction of species define this hot, bloody and (let us hope) brief epoch in the world's history.

If global warming is not new, it is urgent: a subject that should never be far from our thoughts. Yet within 24 hours of the American association's warning the British government's budget confirmed that it no longer wanted to fight it.

David Cameron, who once promised that if you voted blue you would go green, now appoints Owen Paterson, a man who is not just ignorant of environmental science but proud of his ignorance, as his environment secretary. George Osborne, who once promised that his Treasury would be "at the heart of this historic fight against climate change", now gives billions in tax concessions to the oil and gas industry, cuts the funds for onshore wind farms and strips the Green Investment Bank of the ability to borrow and lend

All of which is a long way of saying that the global warming deniers have won. And please, can I have no emails from bed-wetting kidults blubbing that you can't call us "global warming deniers " because "denier" makes us sound like "Holocaust deniers", and that means you are comparing us to Nazis? The evidence for man-made global warming is as final as the evidence of Auschwitz. No other word will do.

Tempting though it is to blame cowardly politicians, the abuse comes too easily. The question remains: what turned them into cowards? Rightwing billionaires in the United States and the oil companies have spent fortunes on blocking action on climate change. A part of the answer may therefore be that conservative politicians in London, Washington and Canberra are doing their richest supporters' bidding. There's truth in the bribery hypothesis. In my own little world of journalism, I have seen rightwing hacks realise the financial potential of denial and turn from reasonable men and women into beetle-browed conspiracy theorists.

But the right is also going along with an eruption of know-nothing populism. Just as there are leftish greens, who will never accept that GM foods are safe, so an ever-growing element on the right becomes more militant as the temperature rises.
Source

TACD fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 25, 2014

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Take ten people on at once? Try taking like 99% of the scientific community, since that's who you end up disputing most of the time. Seriously, you brought up the eight year pause in surface temperatures as if it's significant. it is not for a variety of reasons that I already explained to you

:getout:

Temperature has been in relative stasis since 2001, so it will be 14 years unless 2014 heats up real quick. There is a 30 year trend that should also be referenced, but due to the pause, that trend is of course also diminishing.

e: TACD pointing out that 2013 was the Xth hottest year on record does nothing to dispel the trend. The question isn't whether the Earth is warming, but how fast. The models are seriously exaggerating the speed.

TACD posted:

Arkane will still be arguing that climate sensitivity has been overestimated and pretending to not understand ocean warming when Miami is underwater.

In the time I've been on the planet, the sea level in Miami has risen by 2.6 inches. It'll probably rise ~6 inches before I'm dead. Another delusional prediction that has no basis in science: Miami will be underwater in our lifetimes (or anywhere close).

Arkane fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 25, 2014

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Arkane posted:

In the time I've been on the planet, the sea level in Miami has risen by 2.6 inches. It'll probably rise ~6 inches before I'm dead. Another delusional prediction that has no basis in science: Miami will be underwater in our lifetimes (or anywhere close).
Miami was partially flooded this year past year by an annual ultra-high tide.

That high tide was not feet above average high tide (so far as I can tell I was mistaken previously) - it was inches.

What happens when Miami is partially flooded at every high tide?

What happens when a storm, or God forbid, a hurricane comes through?

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 26, 2014

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

SORE IN THE ASS that it even exists!
Temperatures have been stagnant for 14 years because temperatures have been stagnant for 14 years. Those are the hard facts, the rock solid evidence, the stiff and straight data. Furthermore temperatures have been stagnant for 14 years. Did you see this latest study? It is very interesting, especially in light of the meta-fact that temperatures have been stagnant for 14 years. Did you see this latest article, that sort of somewhat implies temperatures have been stagnant for 14 years? I implore you to understand, temperatures have either been stagnant for 14 years or my name is not Arkane. Temperatures have been stagnant for 14 years or you are a delusional type who thinks Miami will be flooded by noon tomorrow.

There you go, summary of the last however many Arkane posts.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Evil_Greven posted:

Miami was partially flooded this year past year by an annual ultra-high tide.

That high tide was not feet above average high tide (so far as I can tell I was mistaken previously) - it was inches.

What happens when Miami is partially flooded at every high tide?

What happens when a storm, or God forbid, a hurricane comes through?

Miami has been flooding forever. Every 10 years, it is going to get a little more than 1 inch worse if sea level rise continues on its linear trend. Exponential increases have been bandied about, but sea level rise has been linear since we started observing it with a satellite in the early 1990s.

Sea level rise is incredibly, incredibly, incredibly slow moving, especially as compared to the speed at which humanity is getting more advanced.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Arkane posted:

Sea level rise is incredibly, incredibly, incredibly slow moving, especially as compared to the speed at which humanity is getting more advanced.

Remember how all that ocean water was getting warmer unexpectedly and how it isn't related to climate change? What do you think warmer water than we expect + ice means w/r/t our models regarding sea level rise?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Arkane you never addressed my post about your recommended book. Do you still recommend it?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Remember how all that ocean water was getting warmer unexpectedly and how it isn't related to climate change? What do you think warmer water than we expect + ice means w/r/t our models regarding sea level rise?

I mean there's no doubt that thermal expansion is going to increase sea levels (in fact it's the main driver), so I'm on the same page with you there. But going back to what I said earlier, the ocean has a far larger heat capacity than does the atmosphere due to volume and density. So it's not as scary as you are making it out to be. That graph that you posted earlier, if expressed in degrees C, would be ~flat for the ocean even though it has taken in all of that heat (according to the study).

Salt Fish posted:

Arkane you never addressed my post about your recommended book. Do you still recommend it?

Yeah, I agree with Bjorn Lomborg virtually 100% in principle on climate policies as they relate the developing world. Resources should be devoted to efficiently helping the developing world to get out of poverty, rather than devoting large number of resources inefficiently toward a far future event of undetermined magnitude. The cost/benefit of these two actions compared to each other is ludicrously imbalanced in favor of the former. Whether he got specifics wrong here or there, I do not know.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 26, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Arkane posted:

But going back to what I said earlier, the ocean has a far larger heat capacity than does the atmosphere due to volume and density. So it's not as scary as you are making it out to be. That graph that you posted earlier, if expressed in degrees C, would be ~flat for the ocean even though it has taken in all of that heat (according to the study). a bunch of stupid poo poo

None of this matters and is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Temperatures have not stopped rising, the heat is just in the ocean instead of on land. The fact that the oceans can absorb more co2 and heat than we previously anticipated is not a good thing.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The fact that the oceans can absorb more co2 and heat than we previously anticipiated is not a good thing.

Why is this a bad thing, exactly? The oceans were ~2C warmer in the early Holocene (~8000 years ago) than they are today, so its not like we could even wreck that ecosystem with heat if we tried.

None of this matters and is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Temperatures have not stopped rising, the heat is just in the ocean instead of on land.

It is just plainly false to argue that temperature has not stopped rising when it has (very likely temporarily) done so.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Arkane posted:

Miami has been flooding forever. Every 10 years, it is going to get a little more than 1 inch worse if sea level rise continues on its linear trend. Exponential increases have been bandied about, but sea level rise has been linear since we started observing it with a satellite in the early 1990s.

Sea level rise may be linear on average across the entire world, but it depends greatly on location. I've gone over this before in this thread. The definition of sea level at a particular place is relative - it is the mean between high and low tides, which can greatly vary from place to place.

As I also mentioned previously in this thread, there may have been nearly 2 inches/decade rise in sea level near Miami in the last 53 years. This could be caused by land subsidence in conjunction with rising waters.

If you'll recall, additional weight on land can cause increased land subsidence. Not only man-made structures, but glaciers are certainly culprits of this phenomenon. What if these periodic floods are also making the land subside?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Arkane posted:

Why is this a bad thing, exactly? The oceans were ~2C warmer in the early Holocene (~8000 years ago) than they are today, so its not like we could even wreck that ecosystem with heat if we tried.

For one, it's not just heat affecting the oceans, it's the actual CO2 we're pumping into the atmosphere. But beyond that, what were sea levels like in the early Holocene? Even better, what did the ice sheets on land look like then as well?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

For one, it's not just heat affecting the oceans, it's the actual CO2 we're pumping into the atmosphere. But beyond that, what were sea levels like in the early Holocene? Even better, what did the ice sheets on land look like then as well?

You keep sidestepping points.

Why is the ocean taking in more heat than we anticipated "not a good thing"?

Wouldn't the ocean taking in more heat necessarily make climate sensitivity estimates too high?

You're wrong on both topics here, but you keep switching to talk about something else.

To answer your question (and I don't know how it relates), sea levels have been rising since the end of the last ice age and will continue to rise until the next ice age. Sea levels in the early Holocene were far below where we are today. And of course the ice sheets were more expansive.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Arkane posted:

You keep sidestepping points.

quote:

You're wrong on both topics here, but you keep switching to talk about something else.

I'm really not though, I'm trying to illustrate how all of these things are interconnected and how what you see as "underestimation" is really just the original predicted effects manifesting themselves in unexpected ways (which, if you read the science, we expect).

quote:

Why is the ocean taking in more heat than we anticipated "not a good thing"?

Because of what happens when the ocean takes in more heat.

quote:

Wouldn't the ocean taking in more heat necessarily make climate sensitivity estimates too high?

No, because I look at the climate change problem(and really- it's not just about climate but about our economic systems and ideologies) from a holistic perspective where surface air temperatures are not the only issue worth talking about.

quote:

To answer your question (and I don't know how it relates), sea levels have been rising since the end of the last ice age and will continue to rise until the next ice age. Sea levels in the early Holocene were far below where we are today. And of course the ice sheets were more expansive.

It relates because although the temperature of the ocean might have been the same 8000 years ago, it doesn't mean that we can say "ocean gets two degrees hotter -> the ocean looks like its in the holocene". The ocean has more levers than temperature and we're pulling a lot of them.

No, the ocean's ecosystem will not crash as a result of heat increases. But nobody ever said that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Evil_Greven posted:

Sea level rise may be linear on average across the entire world, but it depends greatly on location. I've gone over this before in this thread. The definition of sea level at a particular place is relative - it is the mean between high and low tides, which can greatly vary from place to place.

As I also mentioned previously in this thread, there may have been nearly 2 inches/decade rise in sea level near Miami in the last 53 years. This could be caused by land subsidence in conjunction with rising waters.

If you'll recall, additional weight on land can cause increased land subsidence. Not only man-made structures, but glaciers are certainly culprits of this phenomenon. What if these periodic floods are also making the land subside?

Assuming 2 inches per decade, do you think this is an insurmountable problem for Miami, or even a difficult one? Obvious answer is I think no...

...and then the logical next step is to discuss a poorer area. But then you have to adjust for the fact that said poorer area will develop over time. And two, three, four, five decades down the line, when the issue becomes a problem, said poor area could be the equivalent of Miami today in terms of ability to address the problem.

• Locked thread