Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

different branches

Specifically, Hindus get the choice between +.5 prestige/month, +.5 piety/month, +5 vassal opinion, or +.2 fertility. Buddhists get a choice between +1 health, +1 learning, or +5 vassal opinion, plus a free +4 learning. Jains get the choice between +1 health or +5 vassal opinions, plus a free +20 vassal opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What are the absolute best stats anyone has ever seen in a ruler? Without cheating of course.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What are the absolute best stats anyone has ever seen in a ruler? Without cheating of course.

Strong, genius, attractive, ambitious and a few other nice traits left me with over 15 on all stats, highest stat I had was 29 diplo on that particular character.

He was the result of a century long eugenics program when good genetic traits (genius, strong, attractive, etc) were more easily acquired and marriage between religions/cultures was easier to achieve. It was during my pure genius lineage run.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Borderless Windowed mode! :toot:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Well, you have three good-sized kingdoms for each religion: Pratihara (Hindu), Rashtakutra (Jain), and Pala (Buddhist). They all get war elephants and the same cultural buildings and retinues, the main differences are religion and starting position. Hindus will expand the fastest because they can Holy War, Buddhists will tech quickly and Jains have a harder time expanding due to lack of Holy Wars but will be very stable.

Edit:

I think it's just very hard for the three Indian religions to convert each other, just like unreformed Pagans get a penalty. That's one reason being Jain is nice because it reduces province revolt risk for being off-religion and gives opinion bonuses to help keep Hindu vassals happy.

I think you probably need Primogeniture to designate heirs, it doesn't appear to work with Gavelkind anyway. I haven't gotten that far yet, I suppose I could test in console. Gimme a couple.

Edit2: I think Primogeniture succession might be straight broken, at least for Indian religions. I used the allow_laws console command to try to tinker with the different options and see how they worked with the designate heir mechanic, but I'm unable to switch to Primogeniture even though the option is available. I don't see a way to designate heirs with Gavelkind or Ultimogeniture, the only other two options.

You have to go to your heirs' character page and click the crown that usually shows who the heir is. The designate heir thing actually makes your succession law a suggestion, as I switched to Ultimogeniture and was able to pick any of my sons (or daughters) to inherit.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you have the spawn of Satan thing happen the kid will have ludicrous stats. I think my devil child was pushing into the 40s in military and intrigue.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

You have to go to your heirs' character page and click the crown that usually shows who the heir is. The designate heir thing actually makes your succession law a suggestion, as I switched to Ultimogeniture and was able to pick any of my sons (or daughters) to inherit.

Thanks, found it! With Gavelkind, it still splits your inheritance but you're able to designate who gets the primary title. Your kids only.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone can manage to switch to Primogeniture, I haven't been able to get my CA up high enough in game yet.

It seems like there wouldn't effectively be any difference between Ultimo/Primogeniture except for the slight differences in opinion penalties with your kids.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 25, 2014

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Now THIS is what sells a DLC, it's from the Steam store page:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
lol, paying people with poop for their labor. That's so absurd it probably has historical basis.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Oops forgot to add that Hindus can raid neighbors, too.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ulvino posted:

Now THIS is what sells a DLC, it's from the Steam store page:

yessssssssss I'm buying it right loving now

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I'm having a bug where I can't arrange marriages as an underaged ruler. Clicking the notice opens the diplo view, but the arrange marriage button isn't there so I can't fulfill my older nephew's betrothal.

During the first tiger hunt I both killed the tiger and let it escape at the same time.

The feast event also seems a bit weird. Invitations are sent out, I get an event to buy a gift for my wife, the guests arrive and my wife gets the gift then it tells me the feast is over. A couple days later i get a flavour event as if it is still going on and 30 purity/karma, but no relations improvement with my vassals so it seems a bit useless.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm playing Jain and they can't do the Tiger Hunt so can't say anything about that right now.

My feast included a snake charmer that got me a +2 reputation, +2 diplomacy bonus and the gift to my wife caused her to fall in love with me. Then a little bit of Piety.

I also recruited a Genius guru with 15+ in all stats and 31 in Learning :allears:

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Man, India is a continent full of Jake Gyllenhaals.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I had a genius heir with Grey Emmenience + Varangian (only traits I remember save for one) with no stat below 25/jighest was diplo at 40. He had been educated by a genius GE. Then he came of age, joined the varangians, came back homosexual. Nicknamed him The Gay Russian Super Man.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Nightblade posted:

I'm having a bug where I can't arrange marriages as an underaged ruler. Clicking the notice opens the diplo view, but the arrange marriage button isn't there so I can't fulfill my older nephew's betrothal.

During the first tiger hunt I both killed the tiger and let it escape at the same time.

The feast event also seems a bit weird. Invitations are sent out, I get an event to buy a gift for my wife, the guests arrive and my wife gets the gift then it tells me the feast is over. A couple days later i get a flavour event as if it is still going on and 30 purity/karma, but no relations improvement with my vassals so it seems a bit useless.

Yeah, the feasts/hunts etc decisions that spawn events in a series all seems to be over super fast and fire multiple events at the same time. I've told the CK2 peeps. Will look at underage rulers too!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Is something wrong with ambition events? I have a diplomacy value of 1 and I've had "improve diplomacy" as my ambition for 30 years and I've not had a single event related to it. This seems unusual, I remember always being able to improve multiple stats up to 8 during a character's lifetime previously, now my characters probably going to die without getting a single ambition event his whole life.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
They worked ok for me during the beta, not tried them in release though. Anyone else not getting them? Could be a similar problem I suppose.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The last few times I've taken an "Improve X" ambition it's taken decades to fire if it ever did at all, this is going back to at least the 2.0 patch. Half the time I've completed them it was because of temporary traits.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Uh... Are the Ghaznavids supposed to be Orthodox Christians? :stare: I'm running an observe game and an Orthodox Ghaznavid Sultante just appeared in the Punjab.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Improve Stat ambitions have always been really flaky for me. Sometimes I'll get three or four points in the very short time, and sometimes I could have them on for fifty years and see nothing- I haven't noticed anything different about them recently. I've definitely had the events fire as rapidly as the ever have today.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Hey guys, anyone have any reports of a bug where you get the DLC but it doesn't show up when you launch the game? I've verified the integrity of all my CK2 files and still doesn't show up.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
What's the checksum for the new patch now?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is the CK2->EU4 converter worth it (even at sale price)? I own EU4 but ashamedly haven't started it yet.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Cantorsdust posted:

It would honestly be pretty funny to play as a hindu and have literally the entire world outside of India as a valid holy war target.

This already happens if you're a Jew/Zoroastrian/non-Sunni Muslim/reformed pagan, so it's not that game-breaking.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

monster on a stick posted:

Is the CK2->EU4 converter worth it (even at sale price)? I own EU4 but ashamedly haven't started it yet.

Playing on with my converted game was one of the most fun things I've done, so yes, in my opinion, it is worth it, especially on sale.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Cantorsdust posted:

What's the checksum for the new patch now?

Mine shows (CFYM)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Amnistar posted:

Hey guys, anyone have any reports of a bug where you get the DLC but it doesn't show up when you launch the game? I've verified the integrity of all my CK2 files and still doesn't show up.

Restart Steam and see if it pops up.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bolian Blues posted:

Uh... Are the Ghaznavids supposed to be Orthodox Christians? :stare: I'm running an observe game and an Orthodox Ghaznavid Sultante just appeared in the Punjab.

They spawn with the culture/religion of the realm that has the event fire. It should only fire in Muslim realms, but it's possible it fired in a Muslim vassal of the ERE, who then forced a conversion of the duke, who forced a conversion of Sabuktigin.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Is paradox the cheap one or am I the cheap one for being annoyed that I have to spend $2 to buy thematic music for the expansion I just purchased? :colbert:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Non Sequitur posted:

This already happens if you're a Jew/Zoroastrian/non-Sunni Muslim/reformed pagan, so it's not that game-breaking.

Worth noting that since Jains don't get Holy War CBs, they have the opposite problem and are pretty much restricted to India (where Jains can Subjugate other Indians).

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well, glad I listened to you guys saying there'd be a sale when RoI came out. Now the whole game + all DLC including RoI is less than what base game + Old Gods would've costed just yesterday! Too bad I already spent lots of money on the game, but it's worth it if only to sustain Paradox, they're pretty much the only game company whose work I'm interested in nowadays (excluding Gaslamp games)

Time to introduce a bunch of friends to medieval eugenics ... and if multiplayer really works better with the EU4 engine, fun stabby times will be had.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 25, 2014

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Upgrading to a great mansion gives "trade post limit: +3" but my trade post limit didn't actually go up. Is this a bug or am I missing something? The previous level didn't even have that modifier at all, and I was kind of banking on the extra three trade posts letting me dick over my rivals.

Also if anyone else is like me and had Gamersgate versions of CK2 as well as Steam, check your Gamersgate page because you now have all the CK2 stuff you bought as unredeemed Steamworks serials. Which leads into my next issue, Steam needs to come back up so I can finish applying DLC :argh:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 25, 2014

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Sheep posted:

Also if anyone else is like me and had Gamersgate versions of CK2 as well as Steam, check your Gamersgate page because you now have all the CK2 stuff you bought as unredeemed Steamworks serials. Which leads into my next issue, Steam needs to come back up so I can finish applying DLC :argh:

Seriously :argh:

I'm blaming the downtime on the hot new CK2 expansion.

also is there a limit to the number of trait icons that can be in the game or something? While Steam's been down I made a handful of traits and only the first is showing an icon :(. I'm pretty new to CK2 modding, is there something obvious I need to be aware of?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sheep posted:

Upgrading to a great mansion gives "trade post limit: +3" but my trade post limit didn't actually go up. Is this a bug or am I missing something? The previous level didn't even have that modifier at all, and I was kind of banking on the extra three trade posts letting me dick over my rivals.

You need to increase your level of Trade Practices tech as well. The early levels give a -100% modifier.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Sheep posted:

What does the tool-tip say when you hover over the trade post limit?

Sulla
May 10, 2008
Seriously if Paradox wanted to make some easy cash all they'd have to do is get a guy to spend all day writing events and then release a pack every week for a couple of bucks each.

I'm always down for more events :)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sulla posted:

Seriously if Paradox wanted to make some easy cash all they'd have to do is get a guy to spend all day writing events and then release a pack every week for a couple of bucks each.

I'm always down for more events :)

They don't even need to hire a guy. Hold an event modding contest, make a dlc of the best of them.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Cantorsdust posted:

They don't even need to hire a guy. Hold an event modding contest, make a dlc of the best of them.

I love events, but are we actually to the point where we're asking for game companies to sell mods back to us? I mean I forgive CK2 for how vampiric it is with DLC's because it's so awesome but let's not get carried away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ever since the patch while playing iron man, when the autosave is supposed to fire the menu opens instead. I tried un-installing and re-installing. Is there some preferences file I need to delete somewhere?

• Locked thread