Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
How soon is too soon to follow up on an application? I submitted a job application online on Saturday, how long should I give them before I give them a call asking about it? I would really like this job but I don't want to sound desperate. I was thinking about trying to contact them this Friday since I have a chance to call them during business hours without running the risk of getting caught doing so by my current job. Or is calling on a Friday afternoon not going to get me anywhere because they'll put it on their "to do" pile for Monday and never get to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I've been applying for jobs off and on for the last two years or so now, and haven't had much luck with my current resume. Could one of the smarty pants resume reviewers here take a look over it, see if there's anything I'm doing extremely wrong? I've tried to update it in accordance with some of the suggestions in this thread, but I am pretty loving stupid so I probably screwed something up. Here's a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dx54x42txialbdo/elderpostsman_resume.doc

Also, if I have some little side projects that aren't related to my current position, where should those go, if they should be on here at all?

Thanks!

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

I've been applying for jobs off and on for the last two years or so now, and haven't had much luck with my current resume. Could one of the smarty pants resume reviewers here take a look over it, see if there's anything I'm doing extremely wrong? I've tried to update it in accordance with some of the suggestions in this thread, but I am pretty loving stupid so I probably screwed something up. Here's a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dx54x42txialbdo/elderpostsman_resume.doc

Also, if I have some little side projects that aren't related to my current position, where should those go, if they should be on here at all?

Thanks!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Unfortunately I found this forum after a phone screening for a job I really want and saw ways I can improve my resume.

Is it poor form to adjust my resume in between the screen and the face to face interview? Not change anything as far as history but just enhance it giving my accomplishments rather then I worked at place

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 18, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
You can, but many interviewers will have it already printed out. The purpose of the resume is to get you the interview.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Oh right no doubt they've seen it already but I figured since I was asked to bring copies anyway I could update it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Wow, thanks. I guess I have a lot of work to do on this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Jesus Christ, I hate writing cover letters.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

There weren't too many specifics discussed at this interview. Like, I know the position is CAD work, but not what I will be designing (obviously I know what the company makes, their main product, but how will my work tie into that, I don't know). The company uses a kind of "in-house outsourced" staffing agency (the staffing agency's HQ is actually inside the company's HQ), and this interview was with their recruiter, more or less. (Basic goal of this interview was to prove that I was a functional human being, and could reliably show up to work on time in proper attire, pretty much). Though the interviewer did mention about the position/department growing, so maybe taking a bit from what you said to say something like "I was glad to talk with you about Company expanding their department. I'm excited to move forward in the process and to potentially be part of an industry leading team that is growing."

Would it be smart to tie in something related to the fact that a few different members of my family have worked for this company, which is part of the reason I'd like to work for them? Or would that be stupid? It'd probably be stupid wouldn't it?

Yes to the first part - that sounds fine and hopefully is what you sent. Literally mentioning anything you talked about immediately sets you apart.

For the second part, yes again on your intuition - it would come across as naive. While it's cool and is something you could mention after you started, I wouldn't say it before the offer stage.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is it bad to apply to a job at like 2am?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Halloween Jack posted:

Jesus Christ, I hate writing cover letters.

Tell me about it, I've had total writer's block now for at least two weeks.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

the posted:

Is it bad to apply to a job at like 2am?

Depends on who will receive it, I suppose. If it's going through layers of bureaucracy before it gets to anyone who will actually evaluate it probably makes no difference. But why not just get up early and complete it at a more normal time, just in case.

Xanderg
Feb 13, 2008
I have a few quick questions;

A year ago I interviewed with this organization for an assistant job and one of the questions I was asked was "what are three traits you like in a manager and what are three traits you dislike?" She said this was so they knew who best to pair people off with, but I'm also wondering if this is a way to identify flaws in a candidate? Am I reading too much into this?

Reason I ask is because I applied for a different job but with the same organization, one that matches my skillset better and now I have more experience as well, I'm wondering if the same question comes up again what the appropriate answer is?

Also if I am interviewed by the same person should I acknowledge that she interviewed me a year ago for a different job? I feel like being able to show I can remember those details are good, but acknowledging that I was a candidate they previously turned down might be bad unless I can spin it by saying something along the lines of "The position I'm interviewing for now is a better match for what my skillset is, not to mention over the past year I've acquired a far greater amount of experience within this field."

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Can you go wrong with organisation, decisiveness, fairness and then the opposites?

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

the_american_dream posted:

Is it poor form to adjust my resume in between the screen and the face to face interview? Not change anything as far as history but just enhance it giving my accomplishments rather then I worked at place

Bring copies to the face-to-face. They'll have read (at least skimmed) the old version. Just say "here's the up to date version". They know you're job hunting, and will probably appreciate clarification or expanding on roles in the resume after your phone screen.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Xanderg posted:

I have a few quick questions;

A year ago I interviewed with this organization for an assistant job and one of the questions I was asked was "what are three traits you like in a manager and what are three traits you dislike?" She said this was so they knew who best to pair people off with, but I'm also wondering if this is a way to identify flaws in a candidate? Am I reading too much into this?

Reason I ask is because I applied for a different job but with the same organization, one that matches my skillset better and now I have more experience as well, I'm wondering if the same question comes up again what the appropriate answer is?

Also if I am interviewed by the same person should I acknowledge that she interviewed me a year ago for a different job? I feel like being able to show I can remember those details are good, but acknowledging that I was a candidate they previously turned down might be bad unless I can spin it by saying something along the lines of "The position I'm interviewing for now is a better match for what my skillset is, not to mention over the past year I've acquired a far greater amount of experience within this field."
There's not really a right answer for a question like that and it (generally) isn't a trick - they actually want to know if your management style will mesh with the person in that role. You don't want to lie here -- if you say things you think will sound good but don't represent your real feelings, you may be very upset when it turns out your manager has the traits you thought sounded good.

I think being direct and stating your preference is what is ultimately the right idea here. Remember, you're not desperate for a job and you're interviewing the place too. You should be able to walk in proud and excited on the first day.

Re: mentioning you were a reject, it will look super odd if it is the same person and you don't mention it. I'd just say something like "Oh, hi again - I interviewed with you a year ago for the Chocolate Teapot Apprentice job and you were right that it wasn't a fit for me at the time - I think this new role is exactly in line with where my strengths lie". While most of us interview lots of people, we will probably remember you if you came in for an in-person interview. If you had just done phone screens, you could probably have gotten away with it, but not if it's the same person in person again.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Right, so I'm currently in the waiting game. Had my interview Wednesday and that went very well. Good enough for the hiring manager to lay down the process to me and tell me I'll be interviewing next with next in line.
So yesterday I get the call from the recruiter but was unable to pick up (was at my desk at the current job) no vm left. I called back about an hour later then 3 hours after that leaving a vm. Unfortunately I still haven't heard back and I was really hoping to schedule something today since i had a half day or Monday when I'll be off and it's not the easiest process getting time off. Is it appropriate sending a follow up email at this point or just be patient like a big boy?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

the_american_dream posted:

Right, so I'm currently in the waiting game. Had my interview Wednesday and that went very well. Good enough for the hiring manager to lay down the process to me and tell me I'll be interviewing next with next in line.
So yesterday I get the call from the recruiter but was unable to pick up (was at my desk at the current job) no vm left. I called back about an hour later then 3 hours after that leaving a vm. Unfortunately I still haven't heard back and I was really hoping to schedule something today since i had a half day or Monday when I'll be off and it's not the easiest process getting time off. Is it appropriate sending a follow up email at this point or just be patient like a big boy?

Suck it up; there's no way they can throw together an interview with under 1 business days' notice unless they are desperate to hire you.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Bisty Q. posted:

Suck it up; there's no way they can throw together an interview with under 1 business days' notice unless they are desperate to hire you.

Yea good point and I managed to relax. It was really the missed call no vm that bothered me. So I just fooled myself into believing she somehow buttdialed me from her office phone and left immediately to enjoy a nice three day weekend :v:

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 24, 2014

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
So my mom recently lost her job as a nurse's aide, and she's asked me to help with her resume. Problem is I don't know the best way to word things, as I'm not a nurse's aide. I have asked her for clarification on certain aspects of her jobs.

Most recent job was as a nurse's aide for a local hospital. She monitored patients by checking their blood pressures and blood sugar levels. Apparently she recorded the results in some computer database, but she doesn't know what sort of database. She also ordered meals, made beds, washed patients if necessary. Over the course of a day she'd be responsible for 15-20 patients. The patients could either be ones in observation, ones coming out of surgery, or walk-ins coming in for dialysis or other treatments.

Her job before that was as a nurse's aide for a nursing home. Her duties there were similar to the ones above, with a few exceptions. All of the patients were live-in, as it was a nursing home. She'd was responsible for 20 regular patients. If any patients died or left the facility, she'd be given new ones so she'd have 20 again. There was also a greater emphasis on washing the patients and feeding them, as some were incapable of doing so on their own.

Between those two jobs she has about 19 years of experience as a nurse's aide. Third job back was as a Shop Rite cashier. Cashier work and restocking is all she did there for about 4 years.

Right now I'm using the same resume format as Resume to Interviews uses (don't have the cash to purchase the same service for her at the moment). So at the top I have the summary of qualifications, where so far I have "A Nurse's Aide with nineteen years of experience in patient care, specializing in" and then I'm not really sure what to emphasize. Below that I have her three jobs listed with the most recent first, but nothing else for those yet.

I also added a Professional Certification section, as she has a certificate from our state that indicates she's enrolled in our state's nurse's aide registry. Not sure whether that section should go above or below her jobs. Not sure what else should or could go into the resume either. She has no real computer skills or any other applicable job skills that I know of.

So if anyone has any ideas on how to help my mom get a job, I'd appreciate it!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have an interview! However, it's for the exact same position in a different department that I currently occupy in my department. I know I don't need to give a reason for leaving a job in my cover letter, but should I have a response prepared if I'm asked why I want to make a lateral move? The true reason is that my dept. got me cheap and the salary band for this job starts at what I'm making now.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
What's the current etiquette on calling to confirm the status of an application? How long to wait, etc? Some googling is telling me "don't" which is weird because I hear anecdotally that you do better if you show the initiative and call them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Magnetic North posted:

What's the current etiquette on calling to confirm the status of an application? How long to wait, etc? Some googling is telling me "don't" which is weird because I hear anecdotally that you do better if you show the initiative and call them.
It depends on a lot of things in their hiring cycle. Generally it doesn't hurt to call HR, because the HR interviews are largely a formality and they aren't the hiring managers that count anyway unless that's the department you're looking to work in.

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001
I haven't seen this asked and I think I am in a somewhat unique situation. My school has an accelerated MSA program which is completed concurrently with a bachelors. I will be awarded both degrees when I complete the MSA requirements next December. I would have had my bachelors after this coming spring quarter but they hold it until the end of the program so I technically will have nothing until then. How would you recommend I note this on my resume?

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

So after two interviews I was called this morning with a "soft" offer. Meaning that no dollar amount was given, but the HR rep did say she was calling to offer me the job - the only caveat being that the title is something a little lower than what I'd expected.

We never got through the dollar amount because I had to explain that the title was not good for my resume. I'm a senior level person, to take a perceived lower position would be damaging in my industry.

She asked my current salary. I politely declined to answer (thanks thread)

She asked what was my base salary expectation. I replied and asked if the title offered and the title I wanted overlapped pay grades (top of level A is actually middle of next level). She said yes. I threw out a six figure income that I'd be comfortable give-or-take a few percent.

She needed to get back to me as this call was "only to see what my thoughts were".

I'd accept a lower title at the top of the pay band or the higher title shy of midpoint. Honestly the title isn't that big of a deal to me, slightly insulting but I can be bought.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

This question keeps coming up and it's really simple no matter what industry you're in.

If you want to check on an application, don't. If they haven't contacted you after you sent in the app to bring you in for an interview, they're not interested. It's not necessarily because you hosed anything up, there were just more people who were better for the position. Move on.

If you wish to check on your candidacy after an interview, the appropriate way is to e-mail whoever interviewed you one week after the interview with a ONE OR TWO SENTENCE e-mail and then never contact the company again. E.g. "I enjoyed talking about <specific aspect of widgets> at Widget, Inc and was wondering if you had made a hiring decision yet". If you didn't get their business card that's your fault and correct it next time. If they refused to give you their business card after an in-person interview they are probably someone you don't want to work for. If you don't hear anything back after the one-week letter, you didn't get the job. Move on.

For fucks sakes whatever you do, do NOT call anyone, HR or otherwise. It doesn't show initiative or whatever the baby boomer-era advice is, it just interrupts the hiring manager/HR in the middle of what you're doing and fucks up their day. If everyone who interviewed called to "check up" on the status of their candidacy they'd be fielding these calls all day. They can respond to your e-mail whenever they want but nobody in charge of hiring wants to be interrupted by a phone call.

seacat fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 26, 2014

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
I'm applying for a job that would have me contracted overseas, and they are asking for salary requirements in the cover letter... but there's no mention of exactly which country the job will be located in. Is putting something like "flexible on salary based on location" a good idea and acceptable?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Magnetic North posted:

In the same vein, I got a business card from the CEO of a small company who told me to send him my resume, which I did last Thursday. Should I wait a week and call him to ask if he received it/had a chance to look at it?

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I got an interview! But I forgot to save the job posting and its been removed from the site. :doh: Is it alright to ask HR for a copy? I could really use it to prepare and show to my contacts there.

V V Thanks Bisty!

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 26, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Claverjoe posted:

In the same vein, I got a business card from the CEO of a small company who told me to send him my resume, which I did last Thursday. Should I wait a week and call him to ask if he received it/had a chance to look at it?

Noooooooo. You should not call him at all.

quote:

I got an interview! But I forgot to save the job posting and its been removed from the site. Is it alright to ask HR for a copy? I could really use it to prepare and show to my contacts there.

Yessssss.

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 26, 2014

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

megazord posted:

So after two interviews I was called this morning with a "soft" offer. Meaning that no dollar amount was given, but the HR rep did say she was calling to offer me the job - the only caveat being that the title is something a little lower than what I'd expected.

We never got through the dollar amount because I had to explain that the title was not good for my resume. I'm a senior level person, to take a perceived lower position would be damaging in my industry.

She asked my current salary. I politely declined to answer (thanks thread)

She asked what was my base salary expectation. I replied and asked if the title offered and the title I wanted overlapped pay grades (top of level A is actually middle of next level). She said yes. I threw out a six figure income that I'd be comfortable give-or-take a few percent.

She needed to get back to me as this call was "only to see what my thoughts were".

I'd accept a lower title at the top of the pay band or the higher title shy of midpoint. Honestly the title isn't that big of a deal to me, slightly insulting but I can be bought.

One point of concern is that if they give you the lower title at the upper end of the pay band, it may limit your opportunities for salary increases in the future.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bisty Q. posted:

Noooooooo. You should not call him at all.

At least a followup email? There isn't exactly a posting or anything where the guy is going to get covered in resumes, just him talking with me and it coming out in conversation that my postdoc appointment was ending due to funding cuts.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 26, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
"Oh, you lost your job? You should send me your resume." is the business equivalent of "you moved back in town? We should totally hang out sometimes!" People actually mean it maybe ten percent of the time; if he actually meant it you'll hear back, otherwise there's no job to be had so no point in being that guy.

Sorry, dude.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

"Oh, you lost your job? You should send me your resume." is the business equivalent of "you moved back in town? We should totally hang out sometimes!"

Sorry, dude.

Yeah, didn't want to say that so bluntly because you seemed so optimistic, but this. Again, if they're into you, they'll call you.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well then, thanks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

FrozenVent posted:

"Oh, you lost your job? You should send me your resume." is the business equivalent of "you moved back in town? We should totally hang out sometimes!" People actually mean it maybe ten percent of the time; if he actually meant it you'll hear back, otherwise there's no job to be had so no point in being that guy.

Sorry, dude.

It may not be all bad. He might not have a job for you but he might be holding your resume in case he hears something or things change. He might also have already reached out to other people on your behalf. You don't know what extent he can help or what effort hes put in but don't assume its just an empty gesture.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Backstory: recently married into the military, trying to find a job where my husband is stationed, currently live in another state.

I had a phone interview for a job in the city I'm moving to and the interviewer asked why I was moving. I gave a vague answer about my husband moving there for his job and he point blank asked me if my husband was military and then said they don't hire people who won't be employees for life.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal, but that aside how do I dodge that question in the future without it being obvious I'm hiding something?

PlacidPanic
Dec 8, 2006

by Ralp
I'm in my second year of college and currently filling out the application for an engineering coop program that I really want to get into. One of the questions asks "What is your most outstanding accomplishment to date? Why do you think so?" To me what immediately comes to mind is the fact that I spent my early twenties homeless and neck-deep in alcohol addiction and now after being sober for five years I'm maintaining a 3.99 GPA in an engineering program, leading a team in the robotics club and generally feeling healthy and happy to be alive.

Would it be bad for me to mention that on the application? I'm really proud of having gotten my poo poo together after it being so bleak but I'm not sure if even the words "addiction" or "homeless" might make potential interviewers uncomfortable.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Backstory: recently married into the military, trying to find a job where my husband is stationed, currently live in another state.

I had a phone interview for a job in the city I'm moving to and the interviewer asked why I was moving. I gave a vague answer about my husband moving there for his job and he point blank asked me if my husband was military and then said they don't hire people who won't be employees for life.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal, but that aside how do I dodge that question in the future without it being obvious I'm hiding something?
Don't. Those aren't companies you want to work for, and it's better to know that up front than to get forced out in some shady and equally-illegal manner a few months down the road when they put it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

PlacidPanic posted:

I'm in my second year of college and currently filling out the application for an engineering coop program that I really want to get into. One of the questions asks "What is your most outstanding accomplishment to date? Why do you think so?" To me what immediately comes to mind is the fact that I spent my early twenties homeless and neck-deep in alcohol addiction and now after being sober for five years I'm maintaining a 3.99 GPA in an engineering program, leading a team in the robotics club and generally feeling healthy and happy to be alive.

Would it be bad for me to mention that on the application? I'm really proud of having gotten my poo poo together after it being so bleak but I'm not sure if even the words "addiction" or "homeless" might make potential interviewers uncomfortable.

Yeeeaaaaah, do not put either of those words on a job application ever. Think up something else.