Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tullendar posted:

I have been enjoying a show called Bluestone 42, which is based on a squad of soldiers in Afghanistan who deal with IED's. It's in its second season, and has been renewed for a third. Well worth a watch.

I've actually been kinda enjoying it too. Has some pretty good laughs anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It is alright. Could be better.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Richard Herring has Robert Llewellyn on his podcast. I love Robert... his Carpool series was great, and he seems like the nicest person in the world, especially given the hellish time he had on Red Dwarf.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

i really hope that some poor, innocent, bemused member of the public walked by when they were recording the end sketch for stewart lee's comedy vehicle this week

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

All 6 episodes of Uncle have been put back up on iplayer. If you missed it the first time, you should watch it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Taff posted:

Did you watch it yet? What did you think?

I liked it. The script wasn't anything special but the directing was good and the performances were solid at worst, good for the most part and Shearsmith was outstanding. Nice, slow-paced horror.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Is Bluestone 42 not just a massive rip off of Gary Tank Commander? Because any trailer I've seen of it seems to suggest so.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

Is Bluestone 42 not just a massive rip off of Gary Tank Commander? Because any trailer I've seen of it seems to suggest so.

No, It is a massive rip off of Dads Army though.

Seriously, No. It is a decent Military screwball comedy.

People who do the trailers for things now in general are quite rubbish at their job it seems.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Most people in TV are rubbish at their jobs, and have been since universities started giving out 2:1s just for turning up, and recruitment agencies realised they could make ludicrous amounts of money jamming media graduates with no common sense down everyone's throat.

Actually scratch 'in TV' out of that and you've got what's wrong with pretty much every sector in the UK.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Scarfe of the week

Ah yes, Johnson's most obvious feature, his mosquito-like proboscis.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Scarfe of the week

Ah yes, Johnson's most obvious feature, his mosquito-like proboscis.

Penguin visits Wayne manor and is greeted by Alfred.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I posted in the wrong bloody UK thread, sorry about that. Whoops. Did anyone watch the new Louis Theroux last night? Did he ask probing question while affecting an air of bemused innocence?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I really enjoyed it. All the dog people seemed proper genuine. Some of the Theroux shows are hard to watch, and not in a bad way, but this was just mostly very watchable.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Louis theroux is great, but a documentary about stray dogs in LA is difficult to care much about.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
I hope it's better than the one he did about dementia, he was terrible in that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Louis theroux is great, but a documentary about stray dogs in LA is difficult to care much about.
The next one is going to be much more engaging.

Louis posted:

Louis visits LA’s most famous hospital, the Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre in West Hollywood, where he meets patients battling for their lives against serious illnesses.
America spends a huge amount on health care and a hefty proportion goes on end of life care, with a wide and expensive array of treatments on offer to those with insurance or who qualify for government funded programmes. Louis talks to patients and their families as they face some of the toughest decisions imaginable – whether to accept death and die in relative comfort, or to gamble on further, possibly painful treatment in the hope that it will cure them or prolong their life. He also talks to the doctors whose job it is to guide people through this traumatic process.
Over several months Louis explores the American way of death, which often involves never giving up and keeping faith right to the end.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

No, It is a massive rip off of Dads Army though.

Seriously, No. It is a decent Military screwball comedy.

People who do the trailers for things now in general are quite rubbish at their job it seems.

The best description I've heard of it is "Imagine MASH, but written by British people, set in the Middle East."

It's a decent timewaster anyway.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Ugh the Widower, which Ive really enjoyed because of Reece Shearsmith, has just been ruined by them having John Hannah as a cop. I'm just waiting for a "cloth" pun.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Taff posted:

Ugh the Widower, which Ive really enjoyed because of Reece Shearsmith, has just been ruined by them having John Hannah as a cop. I'm just waiting for a "cloth" pun.

Haha I said the same thing to the mrs, Shearsmith has been great in it (without him it's a very run-of-the-mill ITV drama) but as soon as Hannah came on I was waiting for jokes.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

I posted in the wrong bloody UK thread, sorry about that. Whoops. Did anyone watch the new Louis Theroux last night? Did he ask probing question while affecting an air of bemused innocence?

I think he is the embodiment of :smugdog:, especially in the very beginning when the big, burly guy starts crying over the fate of the dog with the mangled tail. Whose brain comes up with the question "what has just happened here?", really? I mean, it's painfully obvious, and it makes you look like somebody with a complete lack of empathy. People care about animals, especially ones they consider dependent or vulnerable. News at 11.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I really don't think Louis had any ulterior motive other than showing how much animals mean to some people, while at the same time showing the horrific conditions they can be left in if people don't care. He wasn't goading anyone into getting the reaction he wanted, or sarcastically looking into the camera thinking "Hah look at this prick and his love for animals". It seemed like he genuinely wanted to just find out more about the topic.

He hasn't really been :smugdog: since his weird weekend days. Now he just seems like a really good tool for bringing out honest reactions and emotions from people by just letting them talk, which is pretty excellent.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

NaDy posted:

I really don't think Louis had any ulterior motive other than showing how much animals mean to some people, while at the same time showing the horrific conditions they can be left in if people don't care. He wasn't goading anyone into getting the reaction he wanted, or sarcastically looking into the camera thinking "Hah look at this prick and his love for animals". It seemed like he genuinely wanted to just find out more about the topic.

He hasn't really been :smugdog: since his weird weekend days. Now he just seems like a really good tool for bringing out honest reactions and emotions from people by just letting them talk, which is pretty excellent.
I didn't mean to imply he has any ulterior motives, I just found him to feel exceedingly out of place, and I just think a bit of facial movement and not seeming quite so stony-faced would help me like him more.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Anyone here watch Rev.? New series starts this week. I recently got into in on DVD since the gf got the boxset, and I enjoyed it far more than I'd have thought I'd enjoy a gentleish sitcom about an inner city vicar. Tom Hollander is ace in it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
BBC3 showed a "documentary" a few weeks back called "Is Amanda Knox Guilty?". Now, you might think from the title of the show it might have been an attempt to look at both sides of the case and provide a platform for debate about whether the American girl (and the other two men) is guilty of the murder of Meredith Kercher. Now, in my opinion, the documentary was a travesty- it was almost completely one-sided. However, my opinion on the case is not really important, and I'm not looking for a debate on the guilt of the parties involved here. Some people were angered by it though, and complained to the BBC in the usual manner, and eventually received the following response:

quote:

In light of audience concerns about the programme we naturally wished to raise them with the production team; however this has taken longer than expected and we’re sorry for the delay in responding.

We received a range of contacts about the programme, some making similar and varying points about details and facts surrounding investigations and findings of this case. In order to make the best use of licence fee resources we are sending the same response to everyone who contacted us.

The programme offers an overview of the Amanda Knox trial and hears from a range of contributors who express a variety of views on the case. It was produced and directed by journalists with an in-depth knowledge of the trial. Only the production staff worked on the programme and, as with all BBC output, this programme was produced to be compliant with our editorial guidelines on impartiality.

The documentary and the way in which the evidence is interpreted in it strictly reflects court rulings
and court testimony, with specific weight given to the decision by the court of first instance (upheld on appeal in Florence 2014) as well as all Supreme Court rulings relating to Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito and Rudy Guede. The 2011 appeal acquittal decision was annulled by Italy's Supreme Court in March 2013. In the reasoning for this decision, Italy's Supreme Court also refuted much of the assertions about evidence cited by the 2011 appeal court (assertions also cited in these complaints). This documentary reflects the findings of the Supreme Court (a higher judicial authority) and not the 2011 appeal acquittal, which was annulled for "reprehensible failures in logic and protocol".

We therefore stand by the programme as a fair and balanced account.

I've snipped some of the standard template :words: and bolded the stuff that's really left me aghast here. Whoever wrote this letter states outright that the documentary is intended as a rubber-stamp for the court's ruling- yet at the same time, it unironically describes the show as "fair and balanced". It states it follows the editorial guidelines on "impartiality" while simultaneously saying it will only consider one side of the debate. I know more and more people have been noticing the BBC getting more right wing as time goes on, but to call itself "fair and balanced", normally associated with Fox News and their heavily biased style of reporting is really eye-opening to me- especially while describing how it is only right that they should only bother reporting one side of a story.

It's not even internally consistent either, because while saying the show was only interested in illustrating the court's guilty verdict, the show DID give a platform for Rudy Guede's lawyer to rant about his client's innocence. This is more airtime than Knox's legal representatives received; for those who don't know/care much about the case, Guede is the one that definitely carried out the murder, sexually assaulting poor Kercher, leaving bloody handprints and his DNA all over the place (and even inside the victim) and fleeing to Germany. Yet the program which acts sympathetic to the Kerchers also insultingly tries to make her murderer seem like the true victim in this case. He's also likely to be released very soon.

I think I wouldn't really care so much about this if the show had been called "Amanda Knox: murderer", as that would at least tell the viewer what they're in for, rather than the open-ended question which suggests it will look at both sides. Oh well, BBC3's being taken off TV, so there is some justice, and we'll likely not have to put up with this terrible level of "journalism" on our telly for a while. Stuff like this makes me hope the license fee will be abolished soon.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Squalitude posted:

Stuff like this makes me hope the license fee will be abolished soon.

You want to destroy the BBC because they aren't sympathetic enough to your favourite sexy murderer? Disgraceful.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The BBC complaints system is a bag of poo poo and they will happily fob you off because they just aren't going to be held to account. Reminder that thousands of people being outraged at the way they conducted an extremely hostile interview with that disabled fellow thrown out of his wheelchair by police wasn't even addressed. Rather, they declared "internet campaign" and refused to register the complaints.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
No, marktheando, my complaint here is they're not even pretending to make quality programs any more. I want a documentary that actually looks at both sides, rather than declaring itself "fair and balanced" while parroting the whatever the police tell them. Seriously, who in the media calls themselves "fair and balanced", except a complete moron? Poe's Law applies (to your post too).

I also no longer want to contribute to the BBC (which totally means I want it destroyed) because they don't really make much quality programming any more. Question Time has gone from being an interesting debate to a conservative/UKIP mouthpiece. The only program I've genuinely enjoyed on the channel in the last couple of years (Ripper Street) got cancelled while being voted the best show of the year. What IS there to like about the BBC these days?

(And yeeeeah I know the complaints system is always terrible, I've just never seen them admit to being terrible until now)

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 25, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did the BBC even make it, or did they just buy it?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Squalitude posted:

What IS there to like about the BBC these days?

Half an hour of Stewart Lee standup for 6 weeks of the year, and countless posts bickering about Charlie Brooker's haircut.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Squalitude posted:

No, they're not even pretending to make quality programs any more. Seriously, who in the media calls themselves "fair and balanced", except a complete moron? Poe's Law applies (to your post too).

I also no longer want to contribute to the BBC (which totally means I want it destroyed) because they don't really make much quality programming any more. Question Time has gone from being an interesting debate to a conservative/UKIP mouthpiece. The only program I've genuinely enjoyed on the channel in the last couple of years (Ripper Street) got cancelled while being voted the best show of the year. What IS there to like about the BBC these days?

I was mostly joking about the Amanda Knox stuff, but as far as good stuff on the BBC goes, BBC4 is constantly putting out good documentaries. There was a new Louis Theroux on BBC2 yesterday. The natural history unit. Doctor Who still has the occasional good episode these days. Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle. Charlie Brooker.

And getting rid of the license fee would mean adverts, and chasing ratings ahead of any public service obligations, in other words the BBC would become ITV.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Haha, so it was Poe's law in action after all :) Your post was identical in tone to the kind of stuff I've seen in comments whenever I've read about the case. I think it's a tough call really- I want to the BBC to use the license fee well, but it really doesn't- but taking the license fee away wouldn't exactly help, I suppose.

goatface posted:

Did the BBC even make it, or did they just buy it?

They bought it, off a journalist who has been making good money from the case for several years now. She's always argued for Knox's guilt (which I emphasise is fine as I am making no argument for guilt or innocence here) but if you want to make an documentary that fulfils impartiality criteria, then you probably shouldn't go with someone who's been so entrenched in their position for so long.

Equally, I wouldn't want a documentary of the same type made in a pro-innocence style by the people who've been supporting Knox in an equally-rabid manner all these years. Or if they did, to make it clear the documentary would be displaying a pro-innocence stance, rather than pretending to be completely unbiased.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Impartial, every side gets a say, style reporting is bullshit though. It's the reason creationist are even allowed on TV.

The BBC believes that by aligning with the court decision they are fulfilling their obligation of being impartial, which really means telling the truth as much as possible, not straddling an imaginary fence.

Your taking this awfully seriously for someone who doesn't find her sexy.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Well I guess if we redefine what impartiality means then everything is fine. It's a shame we won't get to see more Fair and Balanced BBC3 documentaries- I imagine they'd make some stonking Creationist shows. After all, there'd be no need to water down the content with any meandering pro-evolution arguments- if a court in the US says the world is 6000 years ago, that's good enough for the BBC and PriorMarcus :)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Is it still on iPlayer? I don't want to comment without seeing it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Squalitude posted:

Well I guess if we redefine what impartiality means then everything is fine.

"Let's make a documentary on Harold Shipman, but be careful to dedicate 50% of the running time to the possibility that he was innocent all along."

At the end of the day they presented the facts as ruled by a court, she was found guilty, and the show remains impartial by simply mentioning the possibility that the ruling is contested.

I'm not really sure how much impartial reporting you want for a convicted murderer?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

PriorMarcus posted:

"Let's make a documentary on Harold Shipman, but be careful to dedicate 50% of the running time to the possibility that he was innocent all along."

At the end of the day they presented the facts as ruled by a court, she was found guilty, and the show remains impartial by simply mentioning the possibility that the ruling is contested.

I'm not really sure how much impartial reporting you want for a convicted murderer?

She was originally acquitted of the crime due to a lack of evidence, which is why the entire thing is controversial. Using Harold Shipman as an analogy is wilfully stupid

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Just my cocking luck to make a nice twee post about a gentle but quietly good and well written programme just before the guy with the angry opinion shows up.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bogmonster posted:

Just my cocking luck to make a nice twee post about a gentle but quietly good and well written programme just before the guy with the angry opinion shows up.

Sorry dude, but yeah Rev is pretty popular here.

Looking forward to the new series a lot, although I don't really remember the last one too well.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Paperhouse posted:

She was originally acquitted of the crime due to a lack of evidence, which is why the entire thing is controversial. Using Harold Shipman as an analogy is wilfully stupid

shipman beats that. first time he was investigated it didn't even get to trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Bogmonster posted:

I watched the opener last night. Much like yourself I enjoyed it loads more than I expected to. I want to see the earlier series now before I watch the rest of the latest.

In answer to my own question that knox thing is no longer available on iPlayer.