Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wilkin
Mar 15, 2014

I'll'ven't used a lot of contractions in my time.
I'd be interested in someone following the comment suggestion of getting a guest commentator on, but I'm afraid I won't be able to hear them over the game audio being recorded through the computer speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Maker Studios, who's partners with LPers like Pewdiepie and the Game Grumps, just got bought by Disney. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/business/media/disney-buys-maker-studios-video-supplier-for-youtube.html

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Supersonic Shine posted:

Maker Studios, who's partners with LPers like Pewdiepie and the Game Grumps, just got bought by Disney. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/business/media/disney-buys-maker-studios-video-supplier-for-youtube.html

PewDiePie confirmed as a cast member in Kingdom Hearts III.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

TARDISman posted:

PewDiePie confirmed as a cast member character in Kingdom Hearts III.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TARDISman posted:

PewDiePie confirmed as a cast member in Kingdom Hearts III.

Sora! Donald! Goofy! RAAAAAAAAAAAPE!

I guess good for them?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Goes to the Colosseum, does the barrel minigame and the AI for PewDiePie has a stroke in the corner.

The Fat Swordsman
Feb 13, 2012
PewDiePie's not going to be a character in it, he's going to have a facecam over the entire game. In a battle? He'll be screaming about how you should be raping the enemies. Not in a battle? He'll be screaming about how you should be out raping right now. Talking to someone or in a cutscene? He'll be trying and failing to contort his face to show the emotion the scene is trying and failing to convey. While screaming about rape.

The ending cutscene is just going to be a million windows of that facecam constantly repeating every instance of him saying the word "rape" autotuned to make a kinda singsongy hellish nightmare.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TARDISman posted:

Goes to the Colosseum, does the barrel minigame and the AI for PewDiePie has a stroke in the corner.

We can only hope.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It'll be worth it for the Game Grumps world, which is just the room they record in.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The Fat Swordsman posted:

PewDiePie's not going to be a character in it, he's going to have a facecam over the entire game. In a battle? He'll be screaming about how you should be raping the enemies. Not in a battle? He'll be screaming about how you should be out raping right now. Talking to someone or in a cutscene? He'll be trying and failing to contort his face to show the emotion the scene is trying and failing to convey. While screaming about rape.

The ending cutscene is just going to be a million windows of that facecam constantly repeating every instance of him saying the word "rape" autotuned to make a kinda singsongy hellish nightmare.

End credits have a remix of Simple and Clean called Rape and Raping.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

End credits have a remix of Simple and Clean called Rape and Raping.

Didn't he give up using rape as a "joke" word after getting RP'd and the follow-up complaining from a chunk of his subs?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Probably, I don't know, the only exposure I've had to his videos outside of RP are people at my school quoting him and those same people watching his videos loudly without headphones on. I don't like the student body at my school that much.
EDIT: If he actually did, it'd be a remarkable leap forward in quality. I mean we're talking half a mile in about 300 miles of garbage but it's something.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 25, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, I'm embarrassed to watch most LP's WITH headphones on, how loving shameless do you have to be to blast PewdiePie full volume?!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Wow, I'm embarrassed to watch most LP's WITH headphones on, how loving shameless do you have to be to blast PewdiePie full volume?!

I dunno what schools are like today, but maybe he really is popular with all the kids and the teens and the frat boys to the point they can have him on at full volume like you would music or other videos you'd share with friends? After all, he is public enemy number one. I mean, uh, number 1 on Youtube popularity.

Although the above though is kinda sickening.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Probably, I don't know, the only exposure I've had to his videos outside of RP are people at my school quoting him and those same people watching his videos loudly without headphones on. I don't like the student body at my school that much.
EDIT: If he actually did, it'd be a remarkable leap forward in quality. I mean we're talking half a mile in about 300 miles of garbage but it's something.

Are you in high school? It wouldn't surprise me at all, I used to think loudly screaming rape was funny back then too.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

HGH posted:

I dunno what schools are like today, but maybe he really is popular with all the kids and the teens and the frat boys to the point they can have him on at full volume like you would music or other videos you'd share with friends? After all, he is public enemy number one. I mean, uh, number 1 on Youtube popularity.

Although the above though is kinda sickening.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Are you in high school? It wouldn't surprise me at all, I used to think loudly screaming rape was funny back then too.

I go to a community college, so it's basically high school where you pay for everything. Most of the idiots I'm talking about are scene kids, people in the PSEO program(Basically high schoolers taking classes at college for free), and bronies. I'm pretty sure I saw some of them watching Sonic.exe and freaking out about how scary it was, so that should paint a clearer picture of the class of people I deal with.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The only way this could play out and be great is if it turns out they bought him just to force him to either not be awful while playing the game under threat of shutting down his channel.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

The Fat Swordsman posted:

PewDiePie's going to have a facecam over the entire game. In a battle? He'll be screaming about how you should be raping the enemies. Not in a battle? He'll be screaming about how you should be out raping right now. Talking to someone or in a cutscene? He'll be trying and failing to contort his face to show the emotion the scene is trying and failing to convey. While screaming about rape.

All this, and it'll still be better than 358/2 Days.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mr DJB posted:

All this, and it'll still be better than 358/2 Days Re:coded.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I dunno, Coded wasn't ported into a two and a half hour long anime cutscene (or without my drunk commentary).

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Mr DJB posted:

I dunno, Coded wasn't ported into a two and a half hour long anime cutscene (or without my drunk commentary).

Not yet! It'll be in KH 2.5.

(Yes, I'm actually serious. No, I don't know why you would HD remake Coded's cutscenes of all things.)

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It'll be in KH 2.5.

Haha, you're not loving with me? Brilliant!

Though if I can get HD Birth By Sleep, I'll buy it. I'm terrible.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Mr DJB posted:

Haha, you're not loving with me? Brilliant!

Though if I can get HD Birth By Sleep, I'll buy it. I'm terrible.

Yep, it'll have KH2 Final Mix, BBS Final Mix, and Coded cutscenes, so extremely solid collection apart from the Coded part. Also I just looked up the official title and it's "Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX", I'm pretty sure you can't use Roman numerals like that.

Anyway, to get this back on track, what exactly is Disney expecting from this acquisition? This doesn't seem the type of thing that fits their company.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

TARDISman posted:

I go to a community college, so it's basically high school where you pay for everything. Most of the idiots I'm talking about are scene kids, people in the PSEO program(Basically high schoolers taking classes at college for free), and bronies. I'm pretty sure I saw some of them watching Sonic.exe and freaking out about how scary it was, so that should paint a clearer picture of the class of people I deal with.

Somehow, pewdiepie is very popular with that first group - but then again, they have generally poo poo taste, so that makes sense!

I remember reading about people going to school with these loud, obnoxious pewdiepie fans and it really confused me. I mean, I'm not old (20, left school 3 years ago) but when I was in school, no one was into poo poo Internet videos, or at least not to the point of watching them very loudly while in school! I know that pewdiepie has exploded in the last year, but any LP person being that popular just really baffles me...

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Anyway, to get this back on track, what exactly is Disney expecting from this acquisition? This doesn't seem the type of thing that fits their company.

I think it's a play to get into the Internet TV market, since that's where YouTube is headed eventually. If you look around you can actually find big name actors already doing shows for YT, for instance: https://www.youtube.com/user/wigs/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Maker does a lot of other things besides LPs, and I think most companies are more interested in those other channels (although considering YT "stars" have been on mainstream shows like Amazing Race they might still have some use for popular LP "personalities").

Edit:
Actually it's probably more realistic to compare the view counts (for last 30 days) across networks.

I don't have exact numbers because of the way Maker splits their networks, but here are some figures:
Main Maker network (non-gaming): 337 mil
Polaris (gaming): ~800 mil? - their SB stats got nuked so I'm not sure exactly
SB + RPM (gaming): 1644 mil (across over 42,000 channels though)

unfair fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 26, 2014

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The RPM channels are all the small ones they signed up before the new youtube changes, right? Do you think that they might try to get rid of those, if they can?

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
If they're making money and don't have any risk (all the small channels are not managed, so no risk for network) I doubt they'd jettison them - unless they're able to somehow sell their contracts to another network. (A lot of those people are on 2 year lock-ins)

Also to clarify, the reason I was listing Polaris, RPM, SB, etc and not just "Maker" is that those networks are actually just colorful names for Maker properties. On the backend they're "Maker Studios 1", 2, 3, etc - and they just group them by content type and name them for convenience.

There are also a bunch of sub-sub networks, but usually their contracts are handled by Maker or RPM acting as Maker so I think they're included in the counts.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Hey Slowbeef, how come you didn't tell us you and DSP were best friends now?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Oh slowbeef, you flew too close to the sun and now the rays of DSP have you crashing into the sea

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jamesman posted:

Hey Slowbeef, how come you didn't tell us you and DSP were best friends now?

Probably because he's just done with DSP.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I'm done with that guy. He is really out of his mind. I probably should've just ignored that whole situation, but I felt like it was starting to get serious and tried to head it off at the pass. Dude is legit nuts.

edit: Serious like some bullshit drama stuff that I don't want any part of. I'd rather just laugh at the completely ridiculous poo poo. Oh well, gently caress me.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 27, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

slowbeef posted:

Oh well, gently caress me.

Sorry, not interested.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So the real reason why slowbeef lost his mod position was because his career as creator of LP was a fraud because he stole all his content from DSP? This is the scandal of the hour, if not day.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Aurain posted:

So the real reason why slowbeef lost his mod position was because his career as creator of LP was a fraud because he stole all his content from DSP? This is the scandal of the hour, if not day.

No, he and Jim Sterling used their links to terrorism to fund their illegal LP activities.

In all seriousness, when you're saying things like THIS, you really need to get away from the internet for a good, long while. I understand he can't, which is probably why he's absolutely crazy, but still.

It's just a loving parody video on the internet, man! Why the hell would you say something like that?!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DSP has a point, vandalising someone's belongings and then saying you'll gently caress their wife is basically the same thing parodying someone's content.

The dudes a sociopath, and ridiculously creepy.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Hey man, DSP works his loving rear end off uploading unedited footage of him playing video games. He's got it worse than someone who works 2 fast food jobs to support their family.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RSCNyx posted:

It's just a loving parody video on the internet, man! Why the hell would you say something like that?!

Cause he's a lovely human being. This has been established for years now.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

gatz posted:

Hey man, DSP works his loving rear end off uploading unedited footage of him playing video games. He's got it worse than someone who works 2 fast food jobs to support their family.

Uh, for context, DSP blocked me for sending him this message:

quote:

Phil, you've recently said that you "bust your rear end" in making a living uploading unedited footage of you playing video games to youtube for a living. Don't you think this is being completely insensitive to people who are forced by economic necessity to work awful low-wage jobs to provide for themselves and their families? You do what people do in leisure time for a living, you essentially self-manage, not having to worry about what a boss will do or say to you. Don't you think you're being unfair to pretty much treat yourself as someone who "busts their rear end"?

I was speaking about this forum post of his:

What a positive fellow.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

gatz posted:

What a positive fellow.

Fairly sure that he's just completely incapable of empathizing with anyone not-him, and equally incapable of admitting anything being his fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamenZero
Oct 19, 2013

gatz posted:

What a positive fellow.

Woe is the man that was "forced into" playing video games for the internet. Give me a frickin' break.

• Locked thread