Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I missed the original post so I'm assuming it was about Gwar.

In his honor I tried to switch the IT Helpdesk hold music to "Sick of You". :black101:

A ticket was rejected. :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A ticket was submitted…

To get a thunderbolt network adapter for my work-issued 11" MacBook Air. And was approved and will be here tomorrow.

I must still be in the honeymoon period or something because I'm not used to asking for tools required to do my job better and having the request approved with no fuss or questioning or "how about this one that's cheaper and only requires minimal loving around to get working".

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

sfwarlock posted:

Better!

Someone installed Linux on that machine, did a "which gcc", and called it good because gcc was already installed.

Except that it didn't work out of the box. I recreated using a livecd:

code:
mint@mint ~ $ which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc
mint@mint ~ $ cat > test.c
#include <stdio.h>
int main () {
  return 0;
}
mint@mint ~ $ gcc test.c
test.c:1:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
 #include <stdio.h>
                   ^
compilation terminated.
mint@mint ~ $
The cure was to install, not gcc, but g++:

code:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get install gcc
  (snip)
gcc is already the newest version.
  (snip)
mint@mint ~ $ gcc test.c
test.c:1:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
 #include <stdio.h>
                   ^
compilation terminated.
mint@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get install g++
  (snip)
mint@mint ~ $ gcc test.c
mint@mint ~ $ ./a.out

The cure is to install libc6-dev. g++ probably brought in libstdc++${version}-dev, which includes it in a different path also searched (as would libbsd-dev and a lot of other packages), but none are actual solutions if you want libc, including g++.

Installing a C++ compiler and development environment is not necessary or correct.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

[...]

Oooh, if you've got apt that makes life a hell of a lot easier. "dpkg -S `which command`" (or, in this case, /usr/include/stdio.h) on working machines has saved me a lot of headache with regards to partially-set-up images without all their needed dependencies.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I missed the original post so I'm assuming it was about Gwar. We're all sad about it, there's no wrong thread to express that.

No tickets came in as I start week 13 of beating my head against the unemployment wall. I really must be doing something wrong.

if I can get away with having you all believe that, i'll go with it.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

Oooh, if you've got apt that makes life a hell of a lot easier. "dpkg -S `which command`" (or, in this case, /usr/include/stdio.h) on working machines has saved me a lot of headache with regards to partially-set-up images without all their needed dependencies.

I just want to know what the hell goes through the mind of someone who builds a distribution (mint, in this case) and installs gcc but without all the stuff needed for gcc to actually work.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

sfwarlock posted:

I just want to know what the hell goes through the mind of someone who builds a distribution (mint, in this case) and installs gcc but without all the stuff needed for gcc to actually work.

It's hardly surprising, it just means it's someone who hasn't done dev work on a fresh image of their own distribution. If you submit it as a Mint bug they'll probably say "oops" and add it to the include list at some point.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

NZAmoeba posted:

Nope!

:yotj:

I've been promoted to the Team Lead of Production. I've never had authority over other human beings before so I'm a little freaked out. They're gonna send me on some management courses so I can not be utterly hopeless though! It also means I have to move from a city I really love, Wellington, to a city I used to bag all the time, Auckland.

But career wise it's just too good an opportunity to pass up. I'm also going to hire the new team we're creating up there.

Nice! Auckland is nice ;)

PS if I need to :yotj: for your new team.... ;)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in, nobody at the site that the Sr resubnetted can get onto the wireless

After finding the IP for the WAP which he didn't document, it took me a while to log in. From what I can tell, he logged in to change the management password and the password to connect to the wireless, but didn't update any DNS information on the switch itself. So if someone could connect, it wouldn't work.

So how is it ALL YOUR FAULT this time?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A ticket came in at 2am. I'm just the secondary.

My primary always does this poo poo. Figure out how to get a louder ringtone on your phone dude. That, or he just blows off the ticket till morning. Just because you don't think it's important (although it's really not in this case, nor is it even in scope for us) doesn't mean the SLA doesn't apply. It's still a high severity ticket that still needs you to at least acknowledge it.

He's lucky I wanted to be up that early to prep for a night shift anyway. I'd have wanted words otherwise.

I never do this to my secondary. If I get a ticket, I at least acknowledge it so he doesn't get woken up for no good reason. My philosophy is that the primary is the one responsible for the after hours ticket, the secondary is just there for the occasional missed page.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

skooma512 posted:

My primary always does this poo poo.

He's lucky I wanted to be up that early to prep for a night shift anyway. I'd have wanted words otherwise.

So he makes a habit of not doing his job and you make a habit of picking up the slack, and you don't bring up the fact that it's a problem? If poo poo keeps getting done, and you don't say anything, your boss is going to think that he's doing his job, and you're going to keep getting taken advantage of.

Put another way: don't dig.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

skooma512 posted:

A ticket came in at 2am. I'm just the secondary.

My primary always does this poo poo. Figure out how to get a louder ringtone on your phone dude. That, or he just blows off the ticket till morning. Just because you don't think it's important (although it's really not in this case, nor is it even in scope for us) doesn't mean the SLA doesn't apply. It's still a high severity ticket that still needs you to at least acknowledge it.

He's lucky I wanted to be up that early to prep for a night shift anyway. I'd have wanted words otherwise.

I never do this to my secondary. If I get a ticket, I at least acknowledge it so he doesn't get woken up for no good reason. My philosophy is that the primary is the one responsible for the after hours ticket, the secondary is just there for the occasional missed page.

Yeah, that's how it works around here.

Luckily when I call the #2, he usually has more contact numbers for the primary on call, and he'll start calling his personal cell or home number to tell him there's a ticket that he needs to look at. Then the secondary goes back to bed.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I got one yesterday - all CATV out at a complex. Tech there says no forward power at the main distro. Supplies I need are in a room being waxed, so I can't get in. Start metering the path anyways to see what's up. Find out after futzing around for hours that the optical cable we are spliced in on one end, isn't the same one on the other end because its being replaced. ???

oh well. At least we get to play with the fusion splicer today!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Partycat posted:

oh well. At least we get to play with the fusion splicer today!

That's not a real thing. You just made that name up.

Or we actually ARE living in the future :tinfoil:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, I thought the same - sounds like something from freaking Star Trek.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Volmarias posted:

That's not a real thing. You just made that name up.

Or we actually ARE living in the future :tinfoil:

The future is now! It's the only way to splice single mode repeatedly and keep your sanity.

BelDin fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 25, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'd love to learn to splice fibers, but then I realize I'd never actually use that skill.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Collateral Damage posted:

I'd love to learn to splice fibers, but then I realize I'd never actually use that skill.

It's a huge loving pain in the rear end.

I haven't done it myself but I watched a field tech do it one day and I don't think I have the patience for it.

(Granted it was a 128 count line, and it was the old style fiber where each individual strand is covered in a nasty waterproof gel that you have to clean off.)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

BelDin posted:

The future is now! It's the only way to splice single mode repeatedly and keep your sanity.

When the fiber techs came and installed our lines a few weeks ago they used one of these. It was absolutely amazing. The two techs had it down to an assembly-line process. The machine automatically arcs the cables together, shows you a nearly microscopic close-up of the finished product, and then gives you a loss readout. It was rad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Any of you know what I need to allow on my firewall to allow .NET Framework 3.5 to install auto from Microsoft on my Surface Pro? I tried *.microsoft.com but that didn't take. Downloading the full framework doesn't work either because there are some files missing.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Downloading the full framework didn't work because it's an OS component now, not a redistributable API.

Are you sure it's a firewall problem and not something else? If Windows Update is working... (unless you're using WSUS)

There's a way to install it completely offline, but only from install images.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 25, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The Windows install image (8 or 8.1, depending on what you have installed, and you probably want one anyway).

Surface Pro has some custom image. I tried to point it to a Windows 8.1 Pro ISO I grabbed but it errored out saying it couldn't find the correct files in the winsxs directory.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ah.

Yeah, Google suggests it's a known problem, and some WSUS mucking might help.

Also could it be looking for an enterprise image or something?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wouldn't think so. I did try 8.1 Enterprise, but it didn't like that either. We didn't image the Surface because we only have SCCM 2012 and not R2 so it's factory default image.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

GreenNight posted:

Any of you know what I need to allow on my firewall to allow .NET Framework 3.5 to install auto from Microsoft on my Surface Pro? I tried *.microsoft.com but that didn't take. Downloading the full framework doesn't work either because there are some files missing.

Try *.microsoft-p.com. There are a couple others if that doesnt work but im out for the day :toot:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Another (and another, and another, and another... She sends one of these in about every 5 or 6 weeks) ticket came in from the founder's wife. She's still really upset that she hasn't talked to her long-lost cousin (who she hasn't spoken to in 10 20 30 year, depending on which ticket you check - she REALLY wants to get in touch with her long-lost cousin!) and regularly asks us if these emails are safe to open. Because you know, eventually it could be real.

Names have been changed, but it still makes about as much sense.