Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

PootieTang posted:

I love events, but are we actually to the point where we're asking for game companies to sell mods back to us? I mean I forgive CK2 for how vampiric it is with DLC's because it's so awesome but let's not get carried away.

No one said it had to cost money. We got the Yuletide song for free for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
There's no way to get a Kshatriya caste child if you're a lower caste, is there?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Anyone else having real trouble getting off the ground as Zoroastrian Karen? I've tried every gamey tactic I can think of and still get stomped. Also have their been army changes because I was fighting the Saffarids, I had 8000 troops to their 6000, defending in a mountain, re-arranged my army to be optimized and they still stomped me like they outnumbered me 5 to 1.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Tsyni posted:

Ever since the patch while playing iron man, when the autosave is supposed to fire the menu opens instead. I tried un-installing and re-installing. Is there some preferences file I need to delete somewhere?

I just read about this on the Paradox forum. It's a known bug, and they're working on a patch.
The problem is only when autosaving to the cloud. I think you can do iron man with local saves in CK2 though if you're really desperate.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?764364-RoI-menu-keeps-popping-up.&p=17127024&viewfull=1#post17127024

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Maybe I'm just unlucky, but does it seem to anyone else that women are ridiculously likely to get pneumonia after childbirth in RoI? Between my four rulers, I've had 5 wives and a female monarch die of pneumonia contracted after giving birth. No one in my dynasty has survived after more than one child yet.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So a nice goon gifted me the base game a while back and I've been waiting for a sale so I could get some of the bajillion DLC but I guess some of the actual expansions are not really on sale right now? Neither is there a bundle that has all the actual gameplay related expansions?

Let's say I wanted to play multi with a friend that has pretty much all the content and I'm fine sticking with the vanilla rulers or whatever. Is there any DLC that I absolutely MUST buy?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Am I the only one encountering basically constant peasant revolts?

As a Buddhist character on the far east of the map, I don't think there have been less than 5 simultaneous peasant revolts going at any point during the last 100 years. It's madness - nobody can do anything besides fight peasants. You can't even invade the kingdom because every time someone tries they get run over by 2k and 3k peasant stacks swarming all over the place.

It looks like all the provinces have a +50% revolt risk modifier on them. Is it meant to be this prolific?

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

Pakled posted:

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but does it seem to anyone else that women are ridiculously likely to get pneumonia after childbirth in RoI? Between my four rulers, I've had 5 wives and a female monarch die of pneumonia contracted after giving birth. No one in my dynasty has survived after more than one child yet.

I had a streak like this after SoA came out.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Det_no posted:

Let's say I wanted to play multi with a friend that has pretty much all the content and I'm fine sticking with the vanilla rulers or whatever. Is there any DLC that I absolutely MUST buy?

I believe if you play multiplayer, you use all the DLC the host has. As far as DLC you need, the only one I'd say is absolutely necessary is Legacy of Rome, for the retinues. After that you might want to pick up Sons of Abraham, as that'll deepen the mechanics for Catholics. Then you'd have a choice of Sword of Islam, The Old Gods, The Republic, and Rajas of India, to expand who you play as (Muslims, pagans, Merchant Republics and Indians, respectively). Then you have all the stuff that doesn't really expand on the gameplay. Get Sunset Invasion if you want a horde of Aztecs loving up Western Europe, the portrait packs for more variety in character portraits (I love them all, some people dislike one or more, get African and Mongol portraits at the very least), unit packs for different looking units (I don't buy these), and music packs for more music (nor do I buy these). Then you have the Ruler Designer which can be fun, and the Customization Pack, which I don't have but wouldn't mind picking up at some point.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Chalks posted:

As a Buddhist character on the far east of the map, I don't think there have been less than 5 simultaneous peasant revolts going at any point during the last 100 years. It's madness - nobody can do anything besides fight peasants. You can't even invade the kingdom because every time someone tries they get run over by 2k and 3k peasant stacks swarming all over the place.

It looks like all the provinces have a +50% revolt risk modifier on them. Is it meant to be this prolific?

I'm getting a lot of them too. I've even got province with 100% revolt risk, but it hasn't revolted yet.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
So I'm totally poo poo/pretty impatient at playing as the Indian kingdoms. I think I'll have a go at sailing to India as a Viking and taking the whole lot over tomorrow. I think having a few examples of what you guys can achieve might end up encouraging me.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JGBeagle posted:

No one said it had to cost money. We got the Yuletide song for free for Christmas.

That's what started the whole thing

Sulla posted:

Seriously if Paradox wanted to make some easy cash all they'd have to do is get a guy to spend all day writing events and then release a pack every week for a couple of bucks each.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nightblade posted:

I'm getting a lot of them too. I've even got province with 100% revolt risk, but it hasn't revolted yet.

Yeah, I have a province with a -50% tax / +50% revolt risk "Religious Unrest" modifier that doesn't display an expiration date. Thankfully my kingdom has been pretty stable and revolt-free due to being Jain.

Edit: yeahhh, it looks like the Religious Unrest province modifier mistakenly does not have an end date. I haven't seen any way to remove it, if it's indeed a bug it will be kinda game breaking until it's fixed.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 26, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Earwicker posted:

That's what started the whole thing

I was replying to this part of the convo:

Cantorsdust posted:

They don't even need to hire a guy. Hold an event modding contest, make a dlc of the best of them.

PootieTang posted:

I love events, but are we actually to the point where we're asking for game companies to sell mods back to us? I mean I forgive CK2 for how vampiric it is with DLC's because it's so awesome but let's not get carried away.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Nightblade posted:

There's no way to get a Kshatriya caste child if you're a lower caste, is there?

Nope. The only thing for you is to have that kid grow up and elevate his status to Kshatriya. Good luck with the relations penalties until then. :-/

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I just read about this on the Paradox forum. It's a known bug, and they're working on a patch.
The problem is only when autosaving to the cloud. I think you can do iron man with local saves in CK2 though if you're really desperate.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?764364-RoI-menu-keeps-popping-up.&p=17127024&viewfull=1#post17127024

Thanks a lot for the info!

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Chalks posted:

Yeah, I've already had six of them and I just started. Thankfully they seem to be pretty weak inside my borders.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Nightblade posted:

What does the tool-tip say when you hover over the trade post limit?

It says +3 from the grand mansion on the republic screen but it's not actually increasing the limit at all.

SeaTard posted:

You need to increase your level of Trade Practices tech as well. The early levels give a -100% modifier.

I'm at level 3 (0% modifier). I'm of the opinion that the mansion line tooltip is wrong and it just increases the minimum available or something. I don't even know, it really doesn't make any sense whatsoever - fire up Gotland in 1066 and cheat the cash for the first mansion upgrade and see for yourself.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, I have a province with a -50% tax / +50% revolt risk "Religious Unrest" modifier that doesn't display an expiration date. Thankfully my kingdom has been pretty stable and revolt-free due to being Jain.

Edit: yeahhh, it looks like the Religious Unrest province modifier mistakenly does not have an end date. I haven't seen any way to remove it, if it's indeed a bug it will be kinda game breaking until it's fixed.

Clearly it is to make Jainism all that more useful!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wow, the Paradox fans move fast. :stare:

Remember what the devs said about "not seeing Norse India for a while"?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Given the recent Gamersgate revelations, anyone up for trading some DLC so we can all fill out what we're missing?

Have:
Dynasty Shields 2
Ruler Designer
Songs of Albion
Songs of Faith
Songs of the Holy Land
Songs of the Caliph
Sword of Islam
Crusader Kings 2 base game
2x Mongols Unit/Portrait pack

Need:
Finno-Ugric Unit Pack
Warriors of Faith
Russian Portraits
Saxon Unit Pack
Turkish Unit Pack
Turkish Faces

Hit me up on Steam, http://steamcommunity.com/id/yarpblat

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Det_no posted:

So a nice goon gifted me the base game a while back and I've been waiting for a sale so I could get some of the bajillion DLC but I guess some of the actual expansions are not really on sale right now? Neither is there a bundle that has all the actual gameplay related expansions?

Everything except the two most recent expansions with accompanying face packs, music, and unit skins are on sale right this second for 75% off.

As to the DLC I would call 100% vital, must buy: There are only really two of those. The first is Legacy of Rome which gives you retinues aka standing armies. The second is The Old Gods which gives you the ability to play pagans, but more importantly, it changes the game start date from 1066 to 867, giving you and extra two centuries to play in.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Geokinesis posted:

Clearly it is to make Jainism all that more useful!

As far as I can tell, the Jainism revolt bonus works simply as a religious "tolerance." You don't get the revolt risk for having off-religion (Hindu or Buddhist are all I've seen so far) provinces, but you do get the RR from wrong culture, events, etc.

The "Religious Unrest" modifier doesn't expire on its own, and doesn't disappear even if the province and holding character are the same religion. Since it's so difficult to convert other Indian religion provinces, after a few decades of playing you'll accumulate a few provinces with the Religious Unrest modifier and have near-constant revolts.

It looks like a bug to me, there should be a year or two expiration for the modifier. Until it's fixed, I honestly can't recommend sinking a lot of time into playing in India.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pakled posted:

I had this happen before the patch as the Zoroastrian Karens. My wife gives birth, dies of pneumonia within a week or two. Remarried immediately, she had a kid a couple years later, bam, another pneumonia death within days. This was a day or two ago. I figured it was just a fluke, you know, just that special kind of bad luck this game can hit you with, but that's really weird that it's happening to multiple people.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Oh crusader kings :allears:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Pellisworth posted:

Edit2: I think Primogeniture succession might be straight broken, at least for Indian religions. I used the allow_laws console command to try to tinker with the different options and see how they worked with the designate heir mechanic, but I'm unable to switch to Primogeniture even though the option is available. I don't see a way to designate heirs with Gavelkind or Ultimogeniture, the only other two options.

Allow_laws doesn't let you ignore the CA requirements when trying to switch succession laws, for some reason. Never has. If you had high CA and it still wasn't letting you then it sounds like a new bug.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
A couple of useful bits of information I got from the game files:
  1. You can only subjugate other Indian rulers in the same culture group. Northern India is Indo-Aryan, Southern India is Dravidian, so if you start as the large Jain nation, you effectively can't use the Subjugation CB either, but you're protected from Subjugation from Northern India.
  2. You can convert to any religion by taking a county of that religion, making it your capital, and paying a piety cost. 500 if it's in the same religious group; 1000 if it isn't.
    If you can find a way to relocate your capital more than once, you can defeat the asserted once per lifetime conversion limitation.

Also, I'm finding it difficult to accumulate Piety as a Hindu, I mis-judged the piety required, and barely formed the empire before it could be torn apart by Gavelkind.

Similarly, I also have a lot of pissed off vassals, just waiting to faction. I assume this is because of the increased depth of religious differences, though I may have just gotten too used to being a born in the purple augustus.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Ray and Shirley posted:

Nope. The only thing for you is to have that kid grow up and elevate his status to Kshatriya. Good luck with the relations penalties until then. :-/

How do you do that?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Oof those are some nasty bugs, maybe I will wait a few days to start a game.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Has anyone noticed a lot of slowdown in ironman mode? I tried playing a bit this evening and the game really felt like it was chugging along.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Allyn posted:

Allow_laws doesn't let you ignore the CA requirements when trying to switch succession laws, for some reason. Never has. If you had high CA and it still wasn't letting you then it sounds like a new bug.

Yeah, if you're going to use the console to change laws, you might as well just set it manually: "succ primogeniture", or "succ feudal_elective", "succ turkish_succession", etc.

edit:

Pellisworth posted:

The "Religious Unrest" modifier doesn't expire on its own, and doesn't disappear even if the province and holding character are the same religion. Since it's so difficult to convert other Indian religion provinces, after a few decades of playing you'll accumulate a few provinces with the Religious Unrest modifier and have near-constant revolts.

It looks like a bug to me, there should be a year or two expiration for the modifier. Until it's fixed, I honestly can't recommend sinking a lot of time into playing in India.

The long term religious_unrest modifier only gets applied if you're under 40% authority, and it'll go away once you hit 75% religious authority.

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 26, 2014

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Playing as the Maharaja of the big Jain kingdom at old gods start and one of the intrigue options is to convert to 'local culture'. What benefit would this give? All my vassals are from varied cultures and I don't think there is a single person of the indicated 'local culture'.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Geokinesis posted:

Playing as the Maharaja of the big Jain kingdom at old gods start and one of the intrigue options is to convert to 'local culture'. What benefit would this give? All my vassals are from varied cultures and I don't think there is a single person of the indicated 'local culture'.

That's the kingdom I was playing as, you start divided about evenly between Marathi (Indo-Aryan) and Kannada (Dravidian) cultures, with your ruling family being Kannada. You can pay 500 Prestige to convert to the culture of your capital, which is Marathi. It would give you better relations with your Marathi and Indo-Aryan subjects, but worse relations with your Dravidian vassals.

The most important use for this particular situation is with the Subjugation CBs. Jains don't get Holy Wars, so your only ways to expand are fabricating claims (slow as hell) or Subjugations which can only be used against Indians of the same culture group. So, theoretically, you are uniquely positioned to take over India as a Jain since you can Subjugate all the Dravidians in southern India, then culture swap to Marathi and work on Subjugating all the Indo-Aryans.

That was my long-term game plan, but my current game is essentially unplayable due to the bugged "Religious Unrest" modifier causing constant peasant revolts. I'd be surprised if you can make it more than ~50 years as any decent sized Indian nation before the revolts pile up too much.

Edit: not only does Religious Unrest not expire on its own, converting to match ruler and province religions does not remove it. The peasant rebels it spawns? If you surrender to them and accept their demands for independence, the revolt modifier remains. Once a province is affected, it revolts constantly forever.

Don't plan on playing in India for more than a couple hours until this is fixed :smith:

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 26, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Kinda glad I'm dirt poor right now or I'd be bitching about bugs as well. I'll just wait for the next patch before I buy.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dibujante posted:

Honestly I'm not sure what the definitive "end date" for the CK2 time period would have to be. CK2's feudal mechanics continue to be pretty relevant for a large part of EU4's history. There's the burgundian inheritance, the Ottoman conquest of the Mamluks, a bunch of Habsburg inheritances, Cortéz's insinuation into Aztec royalty, the hundred years' war, the various kings of France pacifying their nobles through consolidation at Versailles, the Sengoku Jidai and the ensuing Tokugawa shogunate, the establishment of the Qing dynasty, Timur's legacy, etc. that all would benefit from CK2's interpersonal mechanics system.

This seems silly; there's no way heavily armored knights or war elephants would be able to catch mongol horsemen with any kind of reliability.

Earwicker posted:

I would say a good hundred years could be added to it and it would still be fun. Maybe even into the Reformation. However past a certain point there'd be little point in playing as a count or duke as authority became more centralized and there'd be far less to do if you weren't leading an entire country.

Would be kind of cool if there was more of a dynamic end of the medieval era event, with a hard limit of around 1500 or so, that looks for a number of conditions say if a region has reached a sufficient cultural and economic tech level or something, and has a high percentage of counties with more than X holdings in it and maybe also looks for de jure kingdoms with high crown authority or something like that. Also have this carry over to the converter to decide who gets to be the superior/western tech group and receive renaissance events and poo poo.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I think something is wrong with the 867 start in the India area, because at least 50% of the people in any position of power by 877 are gay.

And they all hate each other for it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

I think something is wrong with the 867 start in the India area, because at least 50% of the people in any position of power by 877 are gay.

And they all hate each other for it.

Thats hilarious

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I've figured out the Religious Unrest and revolt weirdness. It's probably working as intended, just rather harsh penalties and opaque mechanics.

If you're an Indian religion with a Moral Authority less than 40, your provinces will randomly get the Religious Unrest modifier with no expiration. At a Moral Authority of 75 or above, the Religious Unrest penalty is removed.

Since both Buddhist and Jain religions start at 35 Authority, as either of those you need to rush to conquer a Holy Site from Pratihara or you'll start accumulating Unrest in provinces.

It's a ticking time bomb for Buddhists and Jains, if you don't rush to beat up Pratihara to get your Authority up, your lifetime is measured in decades until you implode from Religious Unrest.

Edit: for example, starting as the most powerful Jain, the King of Rashtrakutra, you probably want to culture swap to Marathi ASAP so you can Subjugate either Gujarat or Bihar for their holy sites.

Similarly as the King of Pala (strongest Buddhist) you want to Subjugate Bihar from Pratihara as soon as you can.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 26, 2014

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm tickled that a DLC for a 'niche' strategy game that lets you play as a medieval Hindu is not only the top seller on Steam, but is outselling the Bioshock Infinite DLC released today that probably had a budget on par with every Paradox game combined.

They said they'd keep making DLC as long as they kept selling, so I guess we've got a lot more coming! :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm also have a huge number of rebellions, despite having a moral authority in the 90s. But I think it's because of the provinces that are Buddhist or Jain suffering from their flagging moral authority.

• Locked thread