Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Mountaineer posted:

Raise Taxes! What else is all that accounting skill good for, after all?
Execute the criminal!
Foreign Affairs X2 Novan History x1

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Consorting with demons smacks of witchcraft. execute him

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Suzaku posted:

We're down to 5k ducats? Raise Taxes! Gold for the Gold Gods!

And speaking of gold gods... Meditation, Lore, Divination. Let's get this Theconocracy running!

Fabutux 3000. We wear the holy garb.

Oh, and Execute the demonsworn. We already have one magical dangerperson after our skin; we can't afford to have another running free!

This.

Those who consort with demons are bad for the economy.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

MegaZeroX posted:

Based on the records and notes of current expenditures, if you maintain the current rate of tax, you will still have five thousand, one hundred and twenty gold lassi and thirty-two silver tilassi available for special projects. If you lower taxes, you will lose some of that money because it will go to pay your existing costs; if you raise taxes, you should have more.

This is what we needed all that skill to figure out? :eng99:

Imprisoning the guy didn't work the last time, so execute the guy. Learn more Lore and Meditation, and then Divination if we can break the cap by then.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Raise Taxes, as long as we put the money to good use, and don't mistreat the peasants, it should be cool...?

Don't execute the prisoner, twice we've ordered an execution so far, both times the person tried (and once, succeeded) to kill us for it. This guy may or may not have the powers of hell backing him up... enough said.

Battlefield Medicine X 3

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

This is what we needed all that skill to figure out? :eng99:

If the kingdom's funds are all kept in the form of precious metals (which is what it sounded like when we visited the treasury) and accounted for on handwritten ledgers, then it's a miracle that Elodie was able to come up with that precise of a number for the discretionary portion of their funds, honestly. Accounting was probably some messy poo poo in the Middle Ages.

Oh yeah, speaking of Middle Ages, tax the poor and then learn lots and lots of Faith until you have a divine revelation that justifies raising taxes even higher. Taxes aren't high enough until the peasants start burning tuxedo-clad effigies in the streets, at which point you can just have them all executed for treason and appropriate their remaining property to the Treasury.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 25, 2014

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Only 2.63 points and we would have done a natural max of Trade. :negative:
You know what? That's not okay! Let's be completionists and take one more Trade class so we can see that last little message that comes at 100 points. I don't care if Fabutux can push us up to 100 on the skill checks, it's the principle of the thing!

I forget what our Faith skills are, but let's focus on raising Lore and Meditation with the intent on taking Divination high.

Finally, we better get rid of that mystical mumbo-jumbo in other people for our bright Econofaith future, so we'd better Kill the criminal if demons might be involved.

ETA: Meditation, not Trade.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Don't change taxes.
Make use of our Royal Demeanor (x2) bonus.
As for the prisoner, set him free. We know there's something strange about his circumstances, and I feel bad for the guy. Let the priestess help him out.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

MegaZeroX posted:

Based on the records and notes of current expenditures, if you maintain the current rate of tax, you will still have five thousand, one hundred and twenty gold lassi and thirty-two silver tilassi available for special projects. If you lower taxes, you will lose some of that money because it will go to pay your existing costs; if you raise taxes, you should have more.

That's the worst skill check hint ever. "Through your keen knowledge of accounting, you realize that if you increase taxes you will have more money, but if you lower them you will have less."

Anyway, more money, kill the possessed man, continue with the tux and for classes go Conversation x3. If we're going to be rich and look rich, we should sound rich too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Akratic Method posted:

That's the worst skill check hint ever. "Through your keen knowledge of accounting, you realize that if you increase taxes you will have more money, but if you lower them you will have less."
I think the point is knowing exactly how much money you have, since you could potentially spend it on a ton of things before this check(and a few things after). The bit about "more taxes=more money, less taxes=less money" is still :downs:, though.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Go all Prince John on all those peasants

Kill the possessed man

Instrument x3

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Haifisch posted:

I think the point is knowing exactly how much money you have, since you could potentially spend it on a ton of things before this check(and a few things after). The bit about "more taxes=more money, less taxes=less money" is still :downs:, though.

Yeah, this is discretionary income. The treasury probably has tens of thousands of gold lassi at the very least, as well as various jewelry, paintings, and other valuable "treasures" in it that might get handed out in lieu of a big payment, but the money is almost all earmarked toward things like the world-class Reflexes tutor who walks around and slowly prods a finger at you. How loving much does she get paid to do that, anyway?

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 26, 2014

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Get all the money, kill everything, be stupid theological, and wear the school outfit just because someone has to vote for the obvious loser-candidate every now and then.

Akratic Method posted:

Could be that the fact there was a check first as a hint/warning about the results of this choice, like failing and choosing to raise tax (without knowing how arithmetic works) starts peasant riots. Somehow I doubt the game would be that forgiving, but still.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Raise taxes, now that we know what taxes are.
Execute the murderer.
Public Speaking x3 (so we can eventually raise Court Manners past 50)

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

zonohedron posted:

Execute the murderer.

This, plus tuxedo.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

zonohedron posted:

Execute the murderer.

Gotta go with this.

sgtsnookums
Nov 20, 2012

zonohedron posted:

Execute the murderer.

Geometry and accounting are pretty much the same, so listen to this fine polytope's money advice. And the rest of it as well.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Tax the rich
Set the condemned free
Public Speaking x3

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't see why it's obvious that the treasury's surplus would only go down by lowering taxes (as opposed to decreasing less, for example). We're talking about an actual flat amount of money left over after both gross tax collection and national expenses. Apparently taxes are currently such that the net income is exactly zero, but that's pretty weird if you think about it. I doubt there's any country in the world in that situation right now. Whoever balanced this budget before us was pretty skilled.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

zonohedron posted:

Execute the murderer.

This

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Raise taxes, exorcise the demon, and faith, faith, FAITH! This is all for the glory of the Church! :catholic:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

zonohedron posted:

Execute the murderer.

This.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

zonohedron posted:

Execute the murderer.

Make it so

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

I don't see why it's obvious that the treasury's surplus would only go down by lowering taxes (as opposed to decreasing less, for example). We're talking about an actual flat amount of money left over after both gross tax collection and national expenses. Apparently taxes are currently such that the net income is exactly zero, but that's pretty weird if you think about it. I doubt there's any country in the world in that situation right now. Whoever balanced this budget before us was pretty skilled.

I'm sure poor old dead mom had a 100 in all her skills.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Keep the taxes at present level, execute the murderer, all Public Speaking
What other outfits are available?

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

HGH posted:

I'm sure poor old dead mom had a 100 in all her skills.

There is 42 skills and it is possible to max 2 skills in 5 weeks. So it would take 105 weeks or 2 years and week to maximise all skills.

:eng101:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
For all we joke about her mental incompetence, learning all that in just 2 years is pretty drat impressive.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

ViggyNash posted:

For all we joke about her mental incompetence, learning all that in just 2 years is pretty drat impressive.

Elodie is like some sort of savant I swear.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

zonohedron posted:

Execute the murderer.

Ayup.

Also tuxedo for the tuxedo gods.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Voting is closed.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Taxes

Raise taxes: 24

Keep them the same: 7

Possessed Man

Execute him: 26

Imprison him: 3

Pardon him: 3

Don't execute him: 1

Clothes

Fabutux for life: 8

Coronet: 1

Boarding School Outfit: 1

Classes

Public Speaking: 30

Lore: 11

Faith: 9

Battlefield Medicine: 8

Composure: 8

Divination: 7

Meditation 5

Royal Demeanor: 4

Foreign Affairs: 4

Conversation: 3

Instrument: 3

Novan History: 2

Presence: 1

Logistics: 1

Trade: 1

Winners

Raise Taxes

Execute Him

The all knowing Tux

Public Speaking x 4

Lore x 2

All of the public speaking votes happened after Zonohedron's post last night. After that, almost everyone voted public speaking x 3. I swear, he must have a fanbase or something.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I am reasonably sure that we are dead.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The demon's gonna try and kill Elodie, won't it?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

If we adjust this and this here, most people won't even notice the difference. Only the ones who can afford it will pay more.

As you wish.

A maid taps at the door for attention.

Ah - The Duchess of Hellas is here to see you, my lady.

You came alone?

You wanted to speak to us about Julianna, didn't you? My brother knows nothing about her. He never did see what was right in front of him.

You mean, you and she -

Under his nose. Yes. With her reputation, I thought she might stay the course. Not like Elsbeth. Or Lucille.

(My aunt Lucille??)

But Julianna said I was too 'challenging' and she left me for some meek little temple novice from Mazomba. You want to find her? Check the priestesses.

(That priestess who wanted me to set Julianna free!)

Thank you for this information.

You are welcome, my Queen. Always.

(Perhaps some time in the dungeons will make that priestess talk!)

Later that evening, the guards made their move, descending upon the palace grove with the intention of arresting Selene, Priestess of the Second Circle. Their first warning of danger was when the ground beneath them began to tremble. All at once, a column of black water blasted up from the earth, scattering soldiers and priestesses alike. The water faded away, leaving nothing but salt-tinged mist, but Selene had disappeared with it.

Apparently Julianna was not the only rogue Lumen loose within Nova.

He does not deny the act, but requests a pardon that he might be set free.

If you admit you killed your wife, why do you think I'm going to set you free?

Condemned Man: Save me, Your Majesty! Wasn't my fault. Demons made me do it. Everyone knows the power of magical beasties! They used me, they twisted my fingers into chains... My wife found me screaming, she tried to shake me, and the chains wrapped around her... I need the priestesses to bless me and make me clean again!

(Demons that make you attack people? Is that even possible?)

I don't care whether there were demons or not, you're still a murderer and your life is forfeit.

You will be hanged in public as a deterrent to future criminals.

He opens his mouth to argue with you further, but then his shoulders slump.

Condemned Man: Yes, Your Majesty.

Let's talk to Joslyn this weekend.

She was a Lumen, a magic-user. It was meant to be in reserve, to defend our domain, but she insisted on... ...you don't need to hear that. She used magic. It drained her strength. She thought it was harmless, and it wasn't. Eventually, her heart just... stopped. That's why I don't want you involved with it.

Your skill in Lore is now 50. You may not increase this skill until your other Faith skills are 25 or higher.

You receive word of an unfortunate incident at the gallows where the man you judged was sent to be executed. As he was led to the platform, he suddenly lashed out with explosive magical power, killing several guards and spectators before making his escape. The population is buzzing with rumors of a secret cabal of evil Lumens who sacrifice innocents in their dark rituals.

Since Elodie has 3 Lumens trying to kill her (well, 2 Lumens and whatever that guy is), should Elodie talk with her father for emotional support?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Oh, Brin. :allears:

Talk to Dad.

Edit: I think that brings the list of characters in the game who are at least bisexual (that we know about) to four now, right?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

This update, the most valuable track award goes to

since it played not once, not twice, but 3 times! It played for the last bit of week 19, the entirety of week 20, and the entirety of week 21.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Interrogate the Duke of Caloris.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Talk to Dad.

Elodie needs some guys who will kill on-demand for her. Putting off the elimination of threats has only let the threats loose, all three times we've tried out.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Talk to Dad, he gets lonely being regent and tries to associate with hussies. And if I know my Shakespeare, the girls who are trying to shack up with him killed Mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
Talk to Dad. Here's to hoping he'll be of use. For once.

• Locked thread