Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Ferrinus posted:

how CAN you even perform an alpha strike in a World game, if your ability to act hinges on being called on rather than a mostly ironclad initiative order

But initiative order is super dumb and boardgames have known to make turn-order reflective of gameplay for a decade now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Gerund posted:

But initiative order is super dumb and boardgames have known to make turn-order reflective of gameplay for a decade now.

Wizards of the Coast fails to notice innovation made by euro boardgame devs and sometimes even trash factories like Fantasy Flight? [Nicholas Cage Face]

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

LSTB posted:

Wizards of the Coast fails to notice innovation made by euro boardgame devs and sometimes even trash factories like Fantasy Flight? [Nicholas Cage Face]

Wizards of the Coast adheres to the 1e-2e-3e-3.5-*large gap*-Next paradigm, and ignores that BECMI and/or weapon speed ever existed. Game designers have concrete and tested examples of variable turn order based on in-game actions for thirty years.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ferrinus posted:

how CAN you even perform an alpha strike in a World game, if your ability to act hinges on being called on rather than a mostly ironclad initiative order

I think it's easier to do IRL. When my group and I played, people just talked and the DM adjuncted when necessary both in and out of combat. The only time the GM would ever call on people was if someone wasn't talking or someone was dominating the conversation. After the first two sessions, that wasn't really a problem anymore as most people got the idea of sharing the spotlight.

I think it's a game that works only if you have a group without assholes or narcissists in it. The fact we were all friends made it easy for us to share the spotlight. If we had a problem player in it, things would have gone down hill quickly. While it is true that the prior statement could be said of any RPG, I think DW freeform nature makes it more susceptible to it.

I remember reading a guide on DW where they pretty much suggested the same thing to GMs: let the player do their own thing in combat and only step in to adjunct or to make sure no one is dominating the conversation.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Gerund posted:

i'm not talking about A always going before B unless they take a coded-in "delay" action i'm talking about A and B each going as many times as C goes, and A and B being able to guarantee they can chain their actions before C goes

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Ferrinus posted:

i'm not talking about A always going before B unless they take a coded-in "delay" action i'm talking about A and B each going as many times as C goes, and A and B being able to guarantee they can chain their actions before C goes

I wish there was a TGRPG inspired by Chrono Trigger, where (a) those sorts of fastball specials are a central rule conceit, and (b) it's designed by people who keep in mind that an activity that's being shared by a minimum of four people should not mechanically encourage solipsism.

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Your entire RPG is a solipsistic mess.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

LSTB posted:

Talking while reloading? That's a paddlin'

Yeah, it should be mentioned that the initial "fix" to gunslingers instead completely broke free actions, so you couldn't do things like talk while taking your turn if you already dropped something. It ALSO nerfed crossbows because, jesus, better watch out for those.

It was hilarious because it showed just how blind Paizo is to their own system. They just don't think in mechanical terms, and then they try to actually change the mechanics and the whole thing ends up hilariously hosed.

...Just like the whole monk thing, where they broke several of their own alternate classes by suddenly announcing that monks worked differently from how they themselves had been using them.

Basically every time Paizo does errata it's fun to see if they're breaking half their game in the process on accident. Again.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

LSTB posted:

Your entire RPG is a solipsistic mess.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

i mean, you can't entirely guarantee that every single person will make precisely the same number of moves in a given combat, but A and B can coordinate an attack or maneuver and tell C to go after them. you don't have to sit there waiting to get called on to do something, the GM only does that if the action's flagging or if someone in particular hasn't done something in a while. also the gm's explicitly discouraged from calling on someone else while something especially interesting's going on unless a player's hogging the spotlight or something, and imo an ambush or an alpha strike usually qualifies as something interesting.

i mean, dungeon world's not perfect by any means. hack and slash and volley are both pretty boring moves + i'd prefer damage as a concept was a lot less granular that it is, but the whole *world system is a cool way to do storygaming with dice

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LSTB posted:

Casting while martial? That's a paladin

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LSTB posted:

I wish there was a TGRPG inspired by Chrono Trigger, where (a) those sorts of fastball specials are a central rule conceit, and (b) it's designed by people who keep in mind that an activity that's being shared by a minimum of four people should not mechanically encourage solipsism.

you mean fate or mhr

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Yeah wtf is it that people actually use 3.pf for anyway? Is broken-rear end vancian magic so much better than any other game?

The only reason I played PF once was because our GM was cool as gently caress and basically just ran it as magical tea party improv-theatre sports games hour, so I was able to ignore pathfinder entirely aside from combat time.

Dec 26, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Yeah wtf is it that people actually use 3.pf for anyway?

the same stuff they always used it for?

if youre asking why 3.pf and not other systems its because many of them been playing 3.X/PF for 14 years now and they have the option to not change thanks to paizo, or because of some perception that 3.5 was the real D&D and now PF is the real D&D and they have no interest in branching out and researching other systems

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

What *World and Fate-breeds do really well, from my experience, is allow the party to split up and pursue plot A and B simultaneously without breaking in half under threat of spotlight/specialization stress. This goes double when it turns out in classic noir/star trek form plots A and B are actually related in some way and the two halves must combine forces.

Heartbreakers assume the party will never split and the DM is primarily playing a central antagonist e.g. a dungeon and/or a dragon, and go to pot when the DM had to assume opposed sandboxy elements working in headspace independent of the party.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I like rules-lite games a lot for that reason, it makes adjudicating hard poo poo (split parties) less hard.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol if you unironically play any system that is not from fantasy flight

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Plutonis posted:

Run anima: beyond fantasy ironically

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Roll to save against tetanus from that rusty spear you picked up.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I opened that book thinking I'd get crazy not-anime fantasy but I opened it and saw FIGHTER THIEF ELF WIZARD and walked away

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

Run anima: beyond fantasy ironically

:stonk:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
racial classes are dumb

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Nihnoz posted:

I like rules-lite games a lot for that reason, it makes adjudicating hard poo poo (split parties) less hard.

I would never play a game of Star Trek with a system that cared about poo poo like encumbrance or varying ranks of Pistol skill.

Also I would never play with scrubs that didn't wear full show accurate uniforms for their characters. heh, losers

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

stoutfish posted:

racial classes are dumb

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

stoutfish posted:

racial classes are dumb

there's nothing wrong with it.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
like you're an Elf. You do elfy poo poo. As you level up in Elf you gain the ability to traverse the secret Elfways or whatever, and Elf Vision

Dec 26, 2012

stoutfish posted:

racial classes are dumb

racial classes are actually fine depending on what kind of fantasy you're doing

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

would the son of a half-drow be considered a quadroon?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The thing people kinda forget is that there's plenty of people that are "D&D fans," not tabletop game fans. They don't want to play non-D&D, or they otherwise have some kind of bizarre emotional connection to D&D.

It's why the common complaint about 4e was that it's "NOT D&D." Because they're the truest of D&D fans, and they by default like all D&D, so if they don't like it, it cannot be D&D.

To say it again, the idea that they might not like D&D would break them. So they must play it. And this benefits Paizo, since their entire advertisement is basically "We're the REAL D&D, the D&D you remember, the D&D you love. Not those nasty pretenders." That Paizo has as little understanding of their system as most of their fans do is frankly considered a bonus by many.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

To say it again, the idea that they might not like D&D would break them.

Do they break out into sweats if they start having fun in something other than dnd?

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

kingcom posted:

Do they break out into sweats if they start having fun in something other than dnd?

No, they make a colorblind alcoholic sniper in GURPS or a Brujah with all 1s and 5s in their abilities and skills and are like, "Well that was kinda fun, but I'm getting bored of easy mode."

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

LSTB posted:

No, they make a colorblind alcoholic sniper in GURPS or a Brujah with all 1s and 5s in their abilities and skills and are like, "Well that was kinda fun, but I'm getting bored of easy mode."

Your right they are probably sweating cause they are fat/unwashed.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

look at those circle jerking 3.5 fans!!! they should learn better than circle-jerking to that game and not to [insert game here]

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

kingcom posted:

Your right they are probably sweating cause they are fat/unwashed.

Check out some other RPG forums some time, everyone who plays games they don't like, or in a way they don't like, is, according to them, overweight and/or has facial hair upon the wrong place, namely the neck. Even if directly conflicts some other forum's belief of which gaming style lends towards having cellulite and or beards upon the neckly region.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

LSTB posted:

Check out some other RPG forums some time, everyone who plays games they don't like, or in a way they don't like, is, according to them, overweight and/or has facial hair upon the wrong place, namely the neck. Even if directly conflicts some other forum's belief of which gaming style lends towards having cellulite and or beards upon the neckly region.

Neckbeards are pretty gross though. Also I like 3.x so does that make me the fat neckbeard?

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

kingcom posted:

Neckbeards are pretty gross though. Also I like 3.x so does that make me the fat neckbeard?

According to The RPG Site, You Are The Neckbeards.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
idiots come in all shapes and sizes and states of hygeine. it's important to recognize that fact lest it destroy you utterly

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

LSTB posted:

According to The RPG Site, You Are The Neckbeards.

Its a shame there is only THE rpg site and theres not multiple rpg sites.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

LSTB posted:

According to The RPG Site,

Go back to Uruguay

Also:

Attorney at Funk posted:

idiots come in all shapes and sizes and states of hygeine. it's important to recognize that fact lest it destroy you utterly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

LSTB posted:

well everyone who plays RPGs is a fat neckbeard sooooo

• Locked thread