Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yoshifan823 posted:

Cranston was so good he became a Hollywood actor.

Plus they owe him for all those times they snubbed him as Hal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

McConnaughey will be nominated simply so that he attends the Emmy's.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

McConnaughey will be nominated simply so that he attends the Emmy's.

Also because it was a hell of a performance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Either McCounaghey or Cranston deserve the actor Emmy, whoever wins it will be fair.

I mean it probably won't be fair, per se, but I won't complain either way.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

zoux posted:

Either McCounaghey or Cranston deserve the actor Emmy, whoever wins it will be fair.

I mean it probably won't be fair, per se, but I won't complain either way.

Jeff Daniels will probably just pull a repeat.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Trying to find a show. Its Australian (I think), about a kid who wants to be famous and is filmed (I think) in a mockumentary style), highly rated by reviewers, might be playing on a US cable channel. I know, its vague, but I'd really like to watch it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Well, at least there's absolutely no shame whatsoever in coming second to Breaking Bad's final season.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Trying to find a show. Its Australian (I think), about a kid who wants to be famous and is filmed (I think) in a mockumentary style), highly rated by reviewers, might be playing on a US cable channel. I know, its vague, but I'd really like to watch it.

Is it one of Chris Lilly's shows? He's had Angry Boys, Summer Heights High and Ja'mie: Private School Girl on HBO.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

No, that's the old guy who dresses up as children, right? No, this is actually a kid. And it veers between drama and comedy.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
It sounds like this, though it's not Australian.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

PriorMarcus posted:

And hasn't Breaking Bad already had it's final Emmy chance?
Nope, the second half of the final season is up this year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you want to pretend it's the story of Rust Chole's "missing years", check out McConaughey in Mud on Netflix. Surprisingly good flick.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Joramun posted:

My first thought too. After seeing Burnham's killer "what." show (go check it out the whole thing is on YouTube/Netflix) I'm interested to check this show out now, but it feels like it might veer towards the dumber side of his work. Anybody know if it's worth it?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

precision posted:

If you want to pretend it's the story of Rust Chole's "missing years", check out McConaughey in Mud on Netflix. Surprisingly good flick.

Why is it surprisingly good? It's from the writer/director of Take Shelter, which owns bones, and stars Matthew McConaughey, who owns bones.

(Sorry, I just really like the phrase "owns bones.")

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was only recently that McConaghey began to own bones.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Another wrong opinion, brought to you by zoux.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guess you're a fan of mediocre rom-coms.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Even if you believe he was poo poo until 'recently', he had good stuff behind him going in to Mud. Killer Joe alone......

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

Tropic Thunder came out in 2008. :colbert:

e: also this:

Junkenstein posted:

Even if you believe he was poo poo until 'recently', he had good stuff behind him going in to Mud. Killer Joe alone......

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked him in Amistad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The last romantic comedy he did was in 2009. Catch up, gramps.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's recently!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah but even if he only started owning bones in 2011 then Mud was still out during the period when he should be expected to own those bones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok 1994-2010: Zero bones owned.
2011 - hence: Many bones owned.

THAT'S RECENTLY.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joramun posted:

Not quite it. I'm sure I'll remember it later.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

zoux posted:

THAT'S RECENTLY.

Yeah, but still wrong of Precision to be surprised by Mud's owning of bones.

He still did a couple of good films after Dazed and Confused and smattered between his rom coms though, to be fair.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

THAT'S RECENTLY.

Again, Tropic Thunder was 2008 and at least one bone was owned in that.

Speaking of McConaughey owning bones, TV chat: finally getting around to True Detective. Two episodes in so far and it's great poo poo. I like how the case is sort of a backdrop and reflection of Rust and Marty's character development.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

Hahahaha this is so loving wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Again, Tropic Thunder was 2008 and at least one bone was owned in that.

Speaking of McConaughey owning bones, TV chat: finally getting around to True Detective. Two episodes in so far and it's great poo poo. I like how the case is sort of a backdrop and reflection of Rust and Marty's character development.

Congratulations on already understanding the show better than 90% of the show thread posters.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hahahaha this is so loving wrong.

Sorry forgot about Contact, Sahara and EdTV.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Until recently, McConaughey was one of those actors who was really good but somehow chose crappy projects a lot of the time. Still:

Dazed and Confused
A Time to Kill
Amistad
Frailty
Tropic Thunder

all before 2010. Even some of the lighter fares he was a part of were not great but still pretty enjoyable (Edtv, Sahara, Contact, a few of his romcoms). He mostly started to do romcoms in the early 2000s and stopped around TT so its not like he did that for most of his career.

Also he was always cool and hilarious, it's just that now he's managed to prove that he's an incredible actor as well.

edit: I can't believe none of you mentioned Frailty in the list of his movies. It's an incredible flick where both he and Paxton give a seriously great performance and he showed way back when that he had serious (and dark) chops.

edit 2: Sorry it took you so long to find out what we all already knew, zoux :c00lbert:

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 26, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is revisionist loving history.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Nah man, Frailty was always underrated and McConaughey was great in it. Everyone should watch Killer Joe though.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Cart posted:

Nah man, Frailty was always underrated and McConaughey was great in it. Everyone should watch Killer Joe though.

Yeah it's a criminally underrated flick. Which is weird, because I mean even Ebert gave him 4 stars but people just generally ignored it and pretended it didn't exist or something.

I would say that people should watch Frailty before they even watch Killer Joe, it's a better movie and arguably the best movie McConaughey was a part of.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2014/01/the-mcconaissance.html
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/5-roles-that-led-to-matthew-mcconaugheys-turnaround.html/?a=viewall
http://www.mlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2014/02/oscars_2014_a_chronicle_of_mat.html
http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/the-resurgence-of-matthew-mcconaughey-29983320.html
http://www.hollywood.com/news/movies/35779838/matthew-mcconaughey-continues-greatest-comeback-ever-joins-wolf-of-wall-street

quote:

Matthew McConaughey’s career was laughable two years ago. The image of a shirtless, stoned McConaughey playing the bongos became etched in the national consciousness after his brush with marijuana possession in 1999. After a string of critical and commercial disappointments like “Sahara” and “Fool’s Gold,” McConaughey became the butt of numerous jokes

quote:

For years, McConaughey embodied complacency; he was an actor who bought too heavily into his own allure and therefore stalled out early on.

quote:

In 2009, Matthew McConaughey starred in “Ghosts of Girlfriends Past.” He played a womanizer gliding through a hacky rom-com screenplay, apparently on the lubricative properties of his own greasy hair gel. It was yet another himbo role for the actor, and would mark his career nadir.

IM NOT JUST MAKING THIS poo poo UP OUT OF WHOLE CLOTH.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

Congratulations on already understanding the show better than 90% of the show thread posters.

:c00lbert:

Cart posted:

Guess I need to watch Frailty, and yes they do need to watch Killer Joe. And post their reactions :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
How could you all forget about Tiptoes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWyj6l_FnLk

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HAHAHA this thread can be such jerks sometimes. Yes, the idea that he was considered a joke and has improved since he made the choice to take on better roles is extremely wide-spread and EXTREMELY well-known. Just because he did some good movies in between all the poo poo doesn't mean that that wasn't the primary view of him. Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, I'll take that as the last word and it will be the last word on it because I have something y'all can't resist focusing on:

The new 24 trailer :twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1JtkqrTsU0

:twisted:And Chloe's a goth:twisted:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was only surprised that Mud is really good because I hadn't heard anyone talk about it.

I am glad to have sparked so much discussion on "Bones (Owning Of)".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bown posted:

HAHAHA this thread can be such jerks sometimes. Yes, the idea that he was considered a joke and has improved since he made the choice to take on better roles is extremely wide-spread and EXTREMELY well-known. Just because he did some good movies in between all the poo poo doesn't mean that that wasn't the primary view of him. Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong.

Of course it's well known. It was never true though.

• Locked thread