Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mobile Frame Zero looks like it could be a fun way to combine lego, spaceships and tabletop wargaming, three things that are very cool in isolation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Zero_Grade posted:

Man, Tokaido was really hard to resist backing, with all the high-quality stuff you'd be getting. If I hadn't just backed Rebecca Guay's kickstarter, it would have been a whole lot harder.

Ancient World looks intriguing, might have a new thing to agonize over.

I have never played tokaido, but I backed it because it was so beautiful.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Its a super chill game. I won a game of it because I appreciated the majesty of nature more than anyone else. Just relax, don't be in a rush. Let worldly concerns melt away

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Mobile Frame Zero looks like it could be a fun way to combine lego, spaceships and tabletop wargaming, three things that are very cool in isolation.

That's Alpha Bandit. "Mobile Frame Zero" usually refers to Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack, which is the mech one.

If it's anything like MF0, it ought to be pretty good!

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Kickstarter just started for Sentinel Tactics. It's a hex grid tactical game from the makers of Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Includes a miniatures option.

Edit: Funded now.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 25, 2014

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Catacombs just hit its development goal and he made the stretch goals more realistic sooooo yeah. Nice so check it out

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Bosushi! posted:

Kickstarter just started for Sentinel Tactics. It's a hex grid tactical game from the makers of Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Includes a miniatures option.

Edit: Funded now.

I know everyone is probably tired of this by now, but uggggh that art is so bad :(

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah that's like some Heromachine level poo poo.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Carteret posted:

I know everyone is probably tired of this by now, but uggggh that art is so bad :(

Skimming through the rules, those look pretty uninspired too. Looks like the main mechanic of the game is rolling big handfuls of dice for attack, defense, and movement. Yes, movement.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Catacombs just hit its development goal and he made the stretch goals more realistic sooooo yeah. Nice so check it out

I really wonder how much of their stifled progress is because of the Canadian currency? Like, I don't know what the conversion rate is between the almighty US dollar and hockey pucks, so I imagine it would ward off other people too. I know I tend to not back Euro based Kickstarters because holy poo poo that is not a friendly conversion, so I imagine the difference between 55 CAD converted to USD makes others similarly balk.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I really wonder how much of their stifled progress is because of the Canadian currency? Like, I don't know what the conversion rate is between the almighty US dollar and hockey pucks, so I imagine it would ward off other people too. I know I tend to not back Euro based Kickstarters because holy poo poo that is not a friendly conversion, so I imagine the difference between 55 CAD converted to USD makes others similarly balk.

55 CAD is ~49 of your American Dollars.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
This is an interesting project: making board games accessible to the blind https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64ouncegames/board-games-now-blind-accessible

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Someone else posted the conversion into US, but he does a good job of saying hey expect to pay X based on Y currency that was actually added today. Hopefully that helps.

It almost bums me out to see this game taking 10 days to hit the initial goal but something like Sentinel mini(mind you I have not played the actual game and while the concept is interesting the rules and models seem eh) takes 2 to have it funded/working toward stretch goals.
poo poo take a look at Super Dungeon Explore. Made 5 times its initial funding goal in 8 days(not to take anything away from this game, my buddy backed it too. I might as well)

Just seems like anything with models or zombies has poo poo tons of money thrown at it. Oh well, I'm just happy Catacombs hit its first goal and SHOULD hit a few more. I don't know anything about the game but I am excited to support it

DISCLAIMER: I don't know if the 2 games I listed are any type of "hot buttons" around here as I haven't gone through this thread much. As this thread doesn't seem like one I should try to pour over all the other pages as every truly old post is long since closed Kickstarters

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

People just love their tiny, paint-able models.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Scyther posted:

Skimming through the rules, those look pretty uninspired too. Looks like the main mechanic of the game is rolling big handfuls of dice for attack, defense, and movement. Yes, movement.

I actually got into a conversation with some play testers in the comments regarding the roll for movement and I didn't find their responses compelling. They ranged from (paraphrasing) "It just works" to "I actually don't want to be able to plan out any future turns."

The mechanic itself is a little weird. You actually roll your movement value during your end step and it sets your move value for next turn. I'm guessing there will be powers that can manipulate/be affected by that value or affect the determining roll.

I'm not 100% sold, but a lite tactics game with an easily digestible theme isn't the worst thing in the world.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I don't think there's anything inherently good or bad about rolling for your movement, and I kind of like the potential that rolling at the end of your turn brings compared to rolling at the beginning, so you and your opponent can both plan out moves, but those moves aren't always static. Whether or not it's going to end up being a good mechanic, well, I don't know. Since your characters just have a hand of cards rather than a deck, poor movement rolls can at least be somewhat accounted for with defensive or ranged abilities or whatever, but I'm just skimming through the rules at the moment.

e: okay seriously what is the point of making flying smash miss on 1's and 6's, why not just say it hits on a 3+

ee: oh, because attack and defense dice are compared individually, that actually kind of makes a weird sort of sense. Now I want to see an actual version of this in prototype.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 26, 2014

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Scyther posted:

Also getting the game with the minis is 80 dollars which would make sense except that there are only 9 minis. Descent is cheaper than that and has WAY more minis. Maybe stretch goals will make it worth it but I just don't see it.

I am also terrified that there are power cards because I feel like that's going to mean it has the same design problems as the card game where the game is "basic and simple" except every third card has a loving novels worth of rules on it and tracking all their interactions is tedious and unfun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiny Chalupa posted:

poo poo take a look at Super Dungeon Explore. Made 5 times its initial funding goal in 8 days(not to take anything away from this game, my buddy backed it too. I might as well)

Some people in my group played Descent: Paedophile Edition last night. They thought it was OK but badly flawed, and it takes too long for what it is. On that basis I wouldn't recommend backing the expansion.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Jedit posted:

Some people in my group played Descent: Paedophile Edition last night. They thought it was OK but badly flawed, and it takes too long for what it is. On that basis I wouldn't recommend backing the expansion.

What the poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fix posted:

What the poo poo.

Don't panic, it's a joke nickname for Super Dungeon Explore. We have Opinions about chibi and gently mock our friend who owns the game.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Cool, I thought there was a bad new kickstart.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

I would recommend waiting until the rule previews come out. They are changing a lot (no trackers for one). Though since I've been playing/demoing it cons for years now I might be a bit biased.

For 100 bucks you are getting ~130 worth of models not counting the free crap. Not a bad deal, and there is still plenty of time in the campaign.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

S.J. posted:

I don't think there's anything inherently good or bad about rolling for your movement

Rolling for movement is inherently bad unless there's a big mitigating factor in the game. By default a low roll is always worse than a high roll b/c it offers you less options. And if this is supposed to be a tactical skirmish game that's kind of a big deal. I haven't read the rules to see how the game handles it, but "roll a bucket of D6s" mechanics doesn't give me a lot of hope.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Crackbone posted:

Rolling for movement is inherently bad unless there's a big mitigating factor in the game. By default a low roll is always worse than a high roll b/c it offers you less options. And if this is supposed to be a tactical skirmish game that's kind of a big deal. I haven't read the rules to see how the game handles it, but "roll a bucket of D6s" mechanics doesn't give me a lot of hope.

Each character rolls a different number of dice during the end step and takes one of those dice as their result. Some characters will take the highest value while others will take the lowest. That number is what their movement value will be in their next turn. The "Move" action isn't the only method of movement. There's a "Sprint" action that gives a flat 2 movement and then certain attacks/powers will have movement built into them.

On average, your speedy characters will be moving faster than the slower ones, but I still don't get why that number needs to be randomly generated. I would've preferred a move action that had a flat value that differed between characters and then a randomized Sprint action. That way the roll becomes a risk/reward action instead of an arbitrary limiter of what you can do in a turn.

However, placing the movement roll during the end step seems like a very deliberate design choice and it's kind of hard to see what the designers intent is without seeing more fleshed out characters and powers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Crackbone posted:

Rolling for movement is inherently bad unless there's a big mitigating factor in the game.

This isn't strictly true - it's a great way to represent battlefield friction and increase tension. Can your men get from the hedgerow to the barn or will they be caught defenseless in the open field?

In a system with fixed movement, that's never an issue because you always know exactly how far your models can run. Your soldiers are robots that SET RUN SPEED 12" and never falter, which isn't a thing that happens in stress conditions. If helps if you read a turn as "the time before something else happens," with the flow of action dictating what happens when.

But you need to design around an elastic turn length for that to work, and that doesn't always happen. It's easy to gently caress up rolled-for movement, but it's great when it works.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The only way to do rolled movement is to have the roll only be a small factor and have a LOT of modifiers that are conditions-dependant (which I guess are the mitigating factors that Crackbone is talking about).

There is actually a way to do fixed movement that is not guaranteed to work, but that involves introducing out-of-turn opportunity fire: in Combat Commander (a wargame made with simplicity of rules in mind), when you move your guys and they in the enemies field of fire, the other player can play opportunity fire cards. This can cause the moving units to hunker down, which slows them down significantly and can actually make them end their movement in the open.

Of course, the above actually requires designing a good set of rules, it's much easier to say 'meh, let's use dice instead'.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

moths posted:

But you need to design around an elastic turn length for that to work, and that doesn't always happen. It's easy to gently caress up rolled-for movement, but it's great when it works.

Hence the phrase "mitigating factors". Straight D6 rolls for something as critical as movement are poo poo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah I'm specifically thinking of Chain of Command, which is the best wargame I've played in ages. But those guys have been doing wargames forever, and the whole thing is structured around friction elements and command flow.

I don't really have high expectations from a card game developer's debut attempt.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Crackbone posted:

If everyone is rolling for it, it isn't an inherently good or bad mechanic. It might be poorly executed, but that's a different consideration altogether. Movement is also only important in context, so without more context as to the abilities/scenarios in the game we can't really make a good judgement call on rolling to set your move action value next turn.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 26, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

S.J. posted:

If everyone is rolling for it, it isn't an inherently good or bad mechanic.

I'd have to say that in the context of a strategy game, it IS a bad mechanic: nobody plays Chutes & Ladders for the strategy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

I'd have to say that in the context of a strategy game, it IS a bad mechanic: nobody plays Chutes & Ladders for the strategy.

It's a different consideration entirely for a grid-based tactics game than a board game with a track you go around, so that's not really a good comparison. And besides, it doesn't set how far you can go on your next turn - it sets the value that your Move action allows you to move, which is an action you can IIRC only perform once on your turn regardless, and isn't the only form of movement available.

Again, that's not to say they won't find a way to gently caress it up, but I'm gonna wait a bit and hopefully they'll release a rules doc with more content.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 26, 2014

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I'll admit that I backed the game despite not being 100% sold on the rules, but they're just decent enough for me to go ahead and back despite my reservations about it. The main reason being that my group has had a blast with Sentinels and the company has earned a lot of good will for me to also back Galactic Strike Force as well. When they had to delay GSF they made up for it by offering extra bonuses to the backers. So I'm willing to go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt, and if the game does turn up to be crappy after all, I'll sell it and they'll have to sell me a lot harder the next time around.

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
Just found this kickstarter which ends a week from now and is at 77% funding, it's called Manifest and is desribed as a pick up and deliver Euro style board game for 2-5 players

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just got the Season 2 Wave 2 stuff for zombicide! I saw a lot of people bitching about the shipping dates but it's what they said (wave 2 = first quarter 2014).

The characters sheets not having XP listed on them is minor in terms of gameplay, but still a huge fuckup. I also have WAY too many loving survivors. I would totally do a new kickstarter if (when) they do one, but god the survivors.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Viticulture: Tuscany needs ~$170k in 13 days to reach all their stretch goals. I'm still not sure about some of them, like the Watch It Played stretch goal and, uh, a scorepad, but I'm guessing it will hit them all, especially with the surge in the last few days. Is there any reason it wouldn't hit them all?

Hopefully the game isn't dull!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It seems to suffer from rules/editions/rights chaos in the finest of the elder traditions, but aside from other projects alluded to by the guy that I guess are in the works from other outfits going about a similar thing in different ways(?): A new Tekumel RPG book after all these years called Bethorm:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeffdee/bethorm-the-plane-of-tekumel-rpg

Already funded with some stretch goals met, with pretty well all remaining of the yet described ones being art boosting.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

LordAba posted:

Just got the Season 2 Wave 2 stuff for zombicide! I saw a lot of people bitching about the shipping dates but it's what they said (wave 2 = first quarter 2014).

The characters sheets not having XP listed on them is minor in terms of gameplay, but still a huge fuckup. I also have WAY too many loving survivors. I would totally do a new kickstarter if (when) they do one, but god the survivors.

If you come up with a good storage solution for that, I'd be interested in hearing it. I'd love to have all of my survivors and zombies in one big box with the survivor/zombivor pairs each in their own spot. I actually had that going before this wave 2 stuff, but now I have way too many.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I think Zombicide Season 3 is in the works, actually. I believe they sent an e-mail about it, or possible a KS update?

And... honestly, the amount of kvetching at the Zombicide shipping dates has been nothing short of atrocious. I was at gencon when they were actually giving people some of their order (core boxes, I believe) and people were STILL bitching at them about it because they didn't have EVERYTHING ELSE produced.

Personally, all I want is some place to store All These loving Zombies Holy poo poo. 3 huge boxes + all extra boxes = actually getting the game out and ready to play is something of a slog.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kerzoro posted:

I think Zombicide Season 3 is in the works, actually. I believe they sent an e-mail about it, or possible a KS update?

And... honestly, the amount of kvetching at the Zombicide shipping dates has been nothing short of atrocious. I was at gencon when they were actually giving people some of their order (core boxes, I believe) and people were STILL bitching at them about it because they didn't have EVERYTHING ELSE produced.

Personally, all I want is some place to store All These loving Zombies Holy poo poo. 3 huge boxes + all extra boxes = actually getting the game out and ready to play is something of a slog.

Yeah, a Season 3 KS is in the works, per an update email they sent out.

People would bitch if CMON walked up to them and handed them a free copy of the game with no strings attached. In short, people are shitheads.

I'm in the same boat regarding storage - I was thinking of just using one of my old Army Transport cases for all of the figures and just using a box to store the tiles and other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

So, I'm considering running a second Kickstarter (selling resin terrain for miniature wargames) this summer, and I've got a question about International shipping (I'm in the US). Is there any sane alternative out there? For ease of use and cost, flat-rate USPS Priority has been great to me in the past, but the international costs have gotten ridiculous. Something like $60 for a medium box. My sales won't be large enough to justify any kind of bulk shipping deal, but I'd like the one- or two-dozen international folks who would consider pledging to not have to face exorbitant shipping charges. What have other folks tried?

• Locked thread