Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Well he had 2 turnovers and 2 of 3 passing scores came on screens in the Fiesta Bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4iDpPeoaKI

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

bhsman posted:

No poo poo?

That's a poor comparison to Bortles, who is an actual good qb

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be cool with putting Bridgewater on the bench behind Schaub until he won the job. He's young, still needs to put on some size, and it never hurts to develop a QB at a slow pace, especially on a team with no talent where he'd be getting thrown to the wolves. Aaron Rodgers was the last QB drafted in the 1st by McKenzie's team, so I wouldn't say I'd be surprised if they picked up Bridgewater if he fell despite the Schaub trade. We didn't give up so much to get him that he has to be our guy now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roasted Donut posted:

hey rd you have the rightest opinions about quarterbacks, how does Chuckie Keeton stack up

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Roasted Donut posted:

I would rank them similarly; Bortles could be Andrew Luck with his athleticism but played in a weird gimmicky system where he only had to read half the field at a time and wasn't great under center - he also stares down receivers like a motherfucker.

Mett only has his one year of production but responded well to good coaching/not having a lovely offensive coordinator for once in a Pro System, can throw dudes open, has a case for the best arm strength in the class, etc. However, he's coming off of an ACL tear (and thus probably can't start the season) and wasn't really mobile to begin with, and despite being really accurate at times, he also had weird games like the one against Ole Miss where he had three INTs on deep balls.

I wouldn't mind either in the late first/early second, but would take neither in the top five.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Volkerball posted:

I'd be cool with putting Bridgewater on the bench behind Schaub until he won the job. He's young, still needs to put on some size, and it never hurts to develop a QB at a slow pace, especially on a team with no talent where he'd be getting thrown to the wolves. Aaron Rodgers was the last QB drafted in the 1st by McKenzie's team, so I wouldn't say I'd be surprised if they picked up Bridgewater if he fell despite the Schaub trade. We didn't give up so much to get him that he has to be our guy now.
I'll be so mad when Pryor takes the LA Bills to the Super Bowl.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Doltos posted:

Amazing athleticism. You can't knock Ebron for being a physical freak, but that's all he is.

I've been watching some of his tape on youtube since hes been topical in the thread and i think right now the kid is a receiver. I think athletically he'll be drafted in the first because coaches want TEs who can bust seams, but he's going to need alot of work and I think theres probably a better TightEnd somewhere in the class. I say that without watching any other TEs tho :downs: I anticipate him struggling with NFL Lbs and ends chipping him and disrupting his routes. He's a liability in either the run or pass blocking game, but i guess you shouldn't be running behind your rookie move te, or he should be out on a route. Hes untouched on alot of his catches and when he does take contact either at the line, or down the field in the process of the catch it seems to trouble him. He's not a very crisp route runner, he rounds alot of his poo poo out, but its college so meh.

I watched Pit, Cincinnati and Duke.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Alouicious posted:

hey rd you have the rightest opinions about quarterbacks, how does Chuckie Keeton stack up

he's insanely bad rear end and fun to watch

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

japtor posted:

I'll be so mad when Pryor takes the LA Bills to the Super Bowl.

And gets 220 yards receiving and wins Super Bowl MVP. :cripes:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Volkerball posted:

And gets 220 yards receiving and wins Super Bowl MVP. :cripes:

for the year or the game?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

for the year or the game?

The game!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
And that's just the second half! The Bills figured out a way to get around Pryor's second half QB woes.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Volkerball posted:

If Bridgewater gets to ride the bench for two seasons he could be really really good. I doubt Manziel or Bortles would get that opportunity.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its interesting, there isn't much data on first round QB's sitting behind veterans for a year or two and taking over. Rodgers is like the only guy I can think of that was drafted in the first round with that intent. Maybe Rivers, but either way we are going back a long long time. If you are drafted in the first round, you are expected to be an immediate contributor, regardless of position. Plenty of teams draft a QB in the 3rd+ rounds with the intention that they sit and learn and maybe take over the reigns, but no one does it with a high round pick. It would be interesting to see a team, like the Steelers or Patriots draft someone like Bortles in the 1st. He could actually have that time to learn and eventually take over. Instead, its going to be someone like Mettenberger in the 4th round and he will bounce around as a journeyman backup. Bortles will be drafted top 5 and will flame out because he can't contribute immediately when a year or two on the bench would have served him well.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

"Now You're Thinking With Bortles" is a Top 5 TFF thread title of all time

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

lol

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Volkerball posted:

This is basically what I think needs to happen with Manziel

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of guys have been drafted with that intent, but when you go that early in the draft, you're going to a team where things aren't going to go swimmingly. Jamarcus was supposed to sit longer (still barely played his rookie year), but Daunte Culpepper and McCown couldn't produce. Same thing happened with Ponder when McNabb struggled. But there's still quite a few under the radar guys like Locker, Quinn, Kaep, lol Tebow, and Sexy Rexy who basically were sat despite being picked in the 1st. I'd also add Brees to the list, despite him going in the early 2nd.

Edit: More long term, but Cutler, McNair, Vick, and Dilfer all sat as well.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 26, 2014

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Rasczak posted:

This is basically what I think needs to happen with Manziel

Manziel to the Cowboys only for Romo to get benched, traded to the Raiders, and immediately win a Super Bowl. :getin:

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Nawid posted:

Manziel to the Cowboys only for Romo to get benched, traded to the Eagles, and immediately win a Super Bowl. :getin:

Better.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I kinda think Manziel to the Cowboys could be good for him, though I do think he should leave the state totally.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

But if it was the Raiders, we could win the Super Bowl with a QB depth chart that doesn't have one drafted player in it.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Volkerball posted:

But if it was the Raiders, we could win the Super Bowl with a QB depth chart that doesn't have one drafted player in it.

You'll trade a 1st and two 2nds for the burned out husk of Rivers and you'll loving like it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Petite Dinklage posted:

You'll trade a 1st and two 2nds for the burned out husk of Rivers and you'll loving like it

That's one more pick than Alex Smith cost, seems pretty reasonable when you look at it that way.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Man, to be worth that, Rivers would have to be like, a year younger.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Petite Dinklage posted:

I just threw up in my mouth at the thought of Rivers in silver and black

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Would love to see that happen, just for you big guy.

Schadenfavre.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PrinceRandom posted:

Well he had 3 turnovers and 2 of 3 passing scores came on screens in the Fiesta Bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4iDpPeoaKI
Things I'm noticing now that this is the second time I've seen this game.. (PICTURES!!!)

- He's been compared to Andrew Luck but Luck runs effortlessly, while Blake looks like he has to really exert himself to accelerate. He looks more like current day Ben Roethlisberger, who only uses his athleticism to stretch end to end and maybe throw on the run, and not to take off. He may have the body to sustain the hits (although peep Roethlisberger's injury history, having a big frame doesn't mean durable), but he looks unnatural running up the field.

- He does not set his feet well and often throws unbalanced or off his back foot. He doesn't seem to have a natural feel for pressure. It may be the result of these things but the short passing velocity is underwhelming, and you expect to see a QB built like Bortles to be able to spit hot fire like Busta. The deep ball arcs are not great and the first interception needed better touch, but it's hard to judge some of them because the receivers were held the whole way by a struggling Baylor secondary.

His second interception is an awful play all around:

Stares down his target at the snap, leaves his feet throwing with his momentum carrying him backwards, the throw is actually behind his target to begin with before it's even tipped. Had it not been tipped, it would likely have been a pick six, as the defender already jumped in front of the tight end and then had to adjust to the deflection.

Throwing behind his receivers is actually a common occurance in that game and I took more snapshots but I figure you can just watch the video and see for yourselves.

Most of you are lazy though so here's an actual positive gif (even though my overall impression of that game was serious disappointment). Here's some of that Roethlisberger. Guard immediately beat, Bortles has absolutely no chance.

All the jerking off the scouts are doing over that Manziel play where he jumps into a wall? THIS is the real poo poo. This is NFL poo poo. Not that fuckin high school bullshit, this play translates like the fuckin rosetta stone. It looks very similar right? Only mirrored? Except Bortles didn't drop back into a completely clean pocket, arbitrarily decide to look for the nearest, least possible running lane and book it, smashing his idiot body backwards and then playing Human Slalom for 10 seconds. I mean this gif is vintage 2006-2008 Roethlisberger. Sheds the sack with herculean strength, rolls to his right, throws accurately on the run, floats it over the defenders head.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 26, 2014

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
I did a dumb thing and rewatched 3 games from each of the 3 QBs and I'm starting to question whether any of them are a top 5 pick, especially in this draft. I'm definitely overthinking it but they all have some flaws and probably shouldn't start right away.

Teddy Bridgewater is a good QB with a lot of potential but I can't help but notice the poor velocity on his throws. His deep ball is decent at best.

Bortles played in a stupid, wanna be Oregon system and actually did a pretty good job on the run for a dude his size. His short accuracy is terrible which is weird considering he can zip it in there across the middle on intermediate and longer routes. He has a hard time throwing to the flats and does a poor job on screens often throwing it straight to linebackers. Likes to overthrow his receivers deep from time to time.

Manziel is the hardest of the QB prospects to evaluate. He's a good QB and he throws well. His throws have this weird tendency to come out of his hand fast in a tight spiral but take a long rear end time to get to the receiver. He has good touch on long balls but has some errant throws that don't go anywhere. He thinks he's Jerome Bettis in his prime when it comes to running the ball despite being a 5'11 frat boy. I just don't see him surviving without changing his whole playing style when he's like 30. Is that worth a top 5 pick in a draft with Robinson, Watkins, Mack and Clowney?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Toymachine posted:

I did a dumb thing and rewatched 3 games from each of the 3 QBs and I'm starting to question whether any of them are a top 5 pick, especially in this draft. I'm definitely overthinking it but they all have some flaws and probably shouldn't start right away.

You probably are just trying to throw up a smokescreen so we secretly let Bridgewater fall to the Raiders in our mock drafts. :colbert:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

So did Rivers tho probably

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Toymachine posted:

I think this is a smokescreen. I still think they grab Bridgewater and let him sit for a year or two behind Schaub in an ideal situation. Might be hard resisting Clowney or Mack if they are there though.

I don't know if you draft the most pro ready guy and sit him. Bortles would probably be a good guy to sit for a year or two given his physical gifts

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I think the days of a QB getting drafted highly and still getting time to sit are pretty much over. If a team is picking high enough to get the cream of the crop prospects, then they're probably in the middle of a regime change and under pressure to change the team's fortunes in short order.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I think the days of a QB getting drafted highly and still getting time to sit are pretty much over. If a team is picking high enough to get the cream of the crop prospects, then they're probably in the middle of a regime change and under pressure to change the team's fortunes in short order.

Didn't you just do that with a second round pick? :crossarms:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
1st round QBs, maybe. Tebow's been the only recent one to be given a lot of bench time. But 2nd and 3rd round QBs have been given time to develop for quite awhile now:

2013:
Glennon - 3rd - was given a little time, more of a function of Freeman imploding that he saw the field.

2012:
Brock Osweiler - 2nd
Nick Foles - 3rd

2011:
Kaepernick - 2nd
Ryan Mallett - 3rd

2010:
Tebow - 1st - eventually started a couple of games later in the year, but was behind Orton.

2009:
Pat White - 2nd (yeesh)

2008:
Brian Brohm - 2nd (double yeesh)

2007:
Kevin Kolb - 2nd
John Beck - 2nd
Drew Stanton - 2nd - although this was more due to injury

2006:
Kellen Clemens - 2nd
Tarvaris Jackson - 2nd
Charlie Whitehurst - 3rd
Brodie Croyle - 3rd

2005:
Aaron Rodgers - 1st
Charlie Frye - 3rd
Andrew Walter - 3rd
David Greene - 3rd

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Chichevache posted:

Didn't you just do that with a second round pick? :crossarms:

I don't consider that 'highly'. We're talking about Bortles specifically here, when all indications are he'll be a top 10 pick in May unless reporting is way way off. They're not going to pick him that high to have him sit.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grozz Nuy posted:

I don't consider that 'highly'. We're talking about Bortles specifically here, when all indications are he'll be a top 10 pick in May unless reporting is way way off. They're not going to pick him that high to have him sit.

Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, and Romo all sat. That's 4 of the 7 top QB's in the NFL, IMO. I don't think owners are any more likely to throw staffs under the bus if there's not immediate turnaround than they were several years ago. It just depends on the situation. The Raiders have had two straight 4-12 seasons, and McKenzie and Allen aren't going anywhere. They're absolutely in a position to draft a QB high and let him sit.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grozz Nuy posted:

You should probably say early first rounder then, because to me a high pick is at least into the second round.

Volkerball posted:

Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, and Romo all sat. That's 4 of the 7 top QB's in the NFL, IMO. I don't think owners are any more likely to throw staffs under the bus if there's not immediate turnaround than they were several years ago. It just depends on the situation. The Raiders have had two straight 4-12 seasons, and McKenzie and Allen aren't going anywhere. They're absolutely in a position to draft a QB high and let him sit.

Romo is a high pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Looking at it, I kind of agree with Grozz in that you would have to have an extremely unusual circumstance to be able to draft a QB in the top 10 and have him sit at least a year. It hasn't happened since Rodgers. But yeah, the Raiders would fit in that tiny category with their current situation. Bortles2Bench

• Locked thread