Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

Still surprised regionals don't have you sleep on the plane to save $50.

You joke about that, but it already happens regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I knew that they must already do something like that!

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Still surprised regionals don't have you sleep on the plane to save $50.

My Google-Fu failed to turn up any pics or video, but there was a brief public outcry years ago over Mesa Group pilots hauling sheets of plywood around with them to make sleeping platforms in the B-1900's on Stand-Ups (CDO's, High-Speeds, etc. See Mr Chips' link). Mesa wouldn't spring for hotels like every other poo poo hole operator at the time, so pilots nearly froze to death at outstations like Grand Junction or Cody when the terminal was cleared and closed after their arrival. Roger Cohen would spin this in a positive way.

Personally, I would have used Jet-A to make a fire in a trash can out on the ramp like at a construction site to stay warm and call attention to my plight. I only did a handful of Stand-ups in my lengthy Regional career (usually restricted by contract) and bid way the gently caress away from them when I was a 737 Captain at a small National carrier.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

What the actual gently caress. :stare:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

In my company they call them naps. They give you a hotel. They tend to go senior because people can get two days worth of min credit for one day's worth of duty time.

Also we get decent hotels, and if the overnight is longer than 16 hours we get 4 star hotels. I am gonna do a couple of 18hr overnights in Houston and I will be staying at the Derek which is a fantastic hotel in downtown Houston.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks like a cape air crashed at KSTL. No information on passengers or injuries, airport is shut down.

Edit: Looks like it was a gear issue on a test flight and everyone is ok!

fknlo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 22, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I successfully completed my first trip as an airline pilot today. The trip started Thursday, and spanned from Palm Springs to Edmonton over the course of three days, with overnights in Montana and Edmonton, which were a lot of fun with 5am show times.

Flying the Q400 is a lot of fun (once you figure out the quirky automation and poor cockpit heating), but making good landings is proving difficult due to the lack of outside references for pitch combined with the fact that more than 6 degrees of pitch will result in a tailstrike.

I even got my first death glare from passengers!

We had a flight attendant get sick in Montana, and due to a combination of a stupidly early departure time and being in the middle of nowhere, the company couldn't get a reserve FA and had to cancel that flight as well as the next flight were supposed to make. Instead of having the rest of the crew wait around for several hours, scheduling decided to have the captain, remaining flight attendant, and myself ferry the empty airplane to Seattle, where we'd start the remaining legs that day.

Since the terminal in Montana had a pretty good view of the ramp, the people who were supposed to be on the plane (and were now trying to get rebooked) got to see us start the airplane, taxi out, and take off empty, and it was pretty clear some of them were quite pissed. Between the cost of rebooking 70some passengers and the 4500lbs of fuel we burned on the ferry flight, I really don't want to know what that situation ended up costing the airline.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

azflyboy posted:

Between the cost of rebooking 70some passengers and the 4500lbs of fuel we burned on the ferry flight, I really don't want to know what that situation ended up costing the airline.

Get used to poo poo like this. And then management tries to make you take concessions to make up for it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

azflyboy posted:

I successfully completed my first trip as an airline pilot today. The trip started Thursday, and spanned from Palm Springs to Edmonton over the course of three days, with overnights in Montana and Edmonton, which were a lot of fun with 5am show times.

Flying the Q400 is a lot of fun (once you figure out the quirky automation and poor cockpit heating), but making good landings is proving difficult due to the lack of outside references for pitch combined with the fact that more than 6 degrees of pitch will result in a tailstrike.

I even got my first death glare from passengers!

We had a flight attendant get sick in Montana, and due to a combination of a stupidly early departure time and being in the middle of nowhere, the company couldn't get a reserve FA and had to cancel that flight as well as the next flight were supposed to make. Instead of having the rest of the crew wait around for several hours, scheduling decided to have the captain, remaining flight attendant, and myself ferry the empty airplane to Seattle, where we'd start the remaining legs that day.

Since the terminal in Montana had a pretty good view of the ramp, the people who were supposed to be on the plane (and were now trying to get rebooked) got to see us start the airplane, taxi out, and take off empty, and it was pretty clear some of them were quite pissed. Between the cost of rebooking 70some passengers and the 4500lbs of fuel we burned on the ferry flight, I really don't want to know what that situation ended up costing the airline.

Doesn't that decision makes sense though? You evidently can't fly without a full cabin crew at all (is it based on number of seats, not passengers?), and if you waited longer they wouldn't have the plane for the next flight which means they'd have to rebook 140 passengers instead of 70.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The number of required flight attendants is based on how many seats are installed, so taking a partial load wouldn't have been an option.

The decision to cancel the flight and ferry the airplane made perfect sense to everyone on the crew (for the exact reason you mentioned), but some of the passengers were clearly pissed about seeing the "cancelled" flight taxi out and take off without them.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

You're working at what I assume is QX now? if you ever overnight at YYC, drop me a line and we'll grab a coffee or something.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
AA has put some tables between the armrests on the middle seats on their 737's specifically so they can fly with 3 flight attendants. It's not enough that they don't sell those seats, they have to physically be unoccupiable in order to be legal.

Also, I'm officially tired of passengers asking me "What happened to that Malyasian airlines flight."

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

KodiakRS posted:

AA has put some tables between the armrests on the middle seats on their 737's specifically so they can fly with 3 flight attendants. It's not enough that they don't sell those seats, they have to physically be unoccupiable in order to be legal.

Also, I'm officially tired of passengers asking me "What happened to that Malyasian airlines flight."

"It was a flight, that went... nowhere!"

Edit: Bonus points if you have the twilight zone theme on a soundboard on your phone.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g6RltYf_Sk

replace with "Malaysian flight 370"

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

azflyboy posted:

but some of the passengers were clearly pissed about seeing the "cancelled" flight taxi out and take off without them.

I would be. This rule rivals some stupid stuff I have seen at work. I wonder how often things like this happen where a speedy appeal process could get at least most of the passengers where they wanted to go and save the airline some money. Did you have their luggage?

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Minclark posted:

I would be. This rule rivals some stupid stuff I have seen at work. I wonder how often things like this happen where a speedy appeal process could get at least most of the passengers where they wanted to go and save the airline some money. Did you have their luggage?

Suppose the "appeal" succeeds and the plane takes off with too few attendants. But it has an emergency on takeoff and crashes and a bunch of people in the back die. These rules don't exist so everyone gets their drinks quickly, they exist for the worst case scenario.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Slamburger posted:

Suppose the "appeal" succeeds and the plane takes off with too few attendants. But it has an emergency on takeoff and crashes and a bunch of people in the back die. These rules don't exist so everyone gets their drinks quickly, they exist for the worst case scenario.

QFT Flight Attendants are more than just prettyish faces that serve booze and terrible crackers. They're paramedics, customer service representatives, and an extra pair of eyes in the sky. They'll try to drag you off a burning plane if you're out cold in calamity.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Slamburger posted:

I love the what if/suppose approach. A metor crashed into the terminal moments after the empty plane left and everyone died... inside the luggage, which was left on the plane, were life saving meds that the family was unable to get as they were left behind... kid got bored and stuck his finger in a socket while waiting for the next flight... a family member passed away on the other side and the family never got to say goodbye. What if/suppose can go on all day. I will take my chances on the plane. The emergency procedures are printed on the card for a reason.

Also even if you don't take everyone take a majority of the people. Most airlines overbook flights all the time and have procedures for leaving people behind.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

You can't skirt the rule. How long before a mandatory part of getting your seat was ticking a box saying you absolved the airline of any responsibility and that you didn't mind if they bent safety rules? Not a system I'd want to encourage.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Minclark posted:

I love the what if/suppose approach. A metor crashed into the terminal moments after the empty plane left and everyone died... inside the luggage, which was left on the plane, were life saving meds that the family was unable to get as they were left behind... kid got bored and stuck his finger in a socket while waiting for the next flight... a family member passed away on the other side and the family never got to say goodbye. What if/suppose can go on all day. I will take my chances on the plane. The emergency procedures are printed on the card for a reason.

Also even if you don't take everyone take a majority of the people. Most airlines overbook flights all the time and have procedures for leaving people behind.

We have a safe air transport system because thinking like this gets strangled in its crib. It's annoying sometimes, and inefficient the other times, but it's the safest transport system the world has ever known.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Minclark posted:

It's illegal, full stop. I imagine you'd be throwing a fit with the gate agent about the airline refusing to commit a crime?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Guys I can't believe they won't let me into this club! They claim they already have as many people an side as the fire marshall allows but what are the odds it actually catches fire and I get crushed? This is bullshit!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Yeah and why the gently caress do I need to wear my seatbelt? I mean I know the risks and I don't want GUBMINT telling me what to do

God libertarians piss me off. Minclark, you know that basically every rule we abide by in aviation is the result of a large group of people dying a needless and completely preventable death? The reason why you can hop on an airplane and enjoy a safe ride to the Ayn Rand Fan Club convention is because someone, somewhere paid a steep price and we, the industry, worked with government to make sure it never happens again.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
:pseudo: What are the odds of me even dying from this disease? Vaccines, gently caress 'em! :pseudo:

Seriously, though, does the airline have to tell them why they aren't flying right then? They don't have to know it's a flight attendent issue, right? Can't you just say "There's an issue with the flight, and unfortunately we'll have to cancel. We're working on getting another plane here as soon as we can." and then fly off without people knowing they're missing a flight because of one crewmember?

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

It's illegal, full stop. I imagine you'd be throwing a fit with the gate agent about the airline refusing to commit a crime?

No, I'd be the one to never buy their ticket again without so much as a complaint.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If I was a dick I'd just lie and say the plane is taxiing over to the hangar to be get the engine repaired, and if we'd taken off, we'd all have died :twisted:

Minclark posted:

No, I'd be the one to never buy their ticket again without so much as a complaint.

You're an idiot.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Minclark posted:

What's this?. The incident that proves you're a whiny little baby with no real understanding of the world? Why I think it is!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Minclark posted:

I love the what if/suppose approach.

So do I.

What if the airplane Caught on fire?
What if the airplane Crashed and had to be evacuated before a post crash fire starts
Suppose the plane Rotated early and had to be evacuated

But those are just recent evacuations on other airplanes. It's not like the type of airplane azflyboy flies
Has
Ever
Had
Problems

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Minclark posted:

The airplane was completely empty, and the decision to cancel the flight was made well before any baggage would have been loaded. I have no idea what the passengers were told, but I know the airline was working on rebooking them on a later flight that day, and was putting people with international connections onto other airlines to try and keep their schedules.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Oh my god the ADDS website :eyepop:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Looks like two kids on a cross country flight with ATP crashed and are missing somewhere in Georgia.

:(

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

xaarman posted:

Oh my god the ADDS website :eyepop:

OH MY EYES! It was so perfect before in a government sort-of-way.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Rolo posted:

Looks like two kids on a cross country flight with ATP crashed and are missing somewhere in Georgia.

That blows, but isn't surprising. Most of the people I were with on my XC phase were pretty decent, one was a really nice guy with a severe case of not-knowing-what-the-gently caress-he-was-doing (he got a phone # when flying with another student, I think they landed at the wrong airport and there was some other stuff), but the last guy they gave me, whoaaa, i have no clue how he got through the whole program, but somehow he did. He had no clue what he was doing and I had to take the controls from him a few times. There's nothing to keep two terrible people from going up together. Worse yet, several times they tried to get me to fly unairworthy airplanes ("It's okay, that's why you're flying it to a maintenance base.") Okay, can I see the ferry permit? ("We don't need a ferry permit.") That's not what the FARs say!
My favorite time was this Seminole they had used duct tape (not speed tape, duct tape - there was no maintenance) to keep the oil door closed (no logbook entry for this most excellent repair) and it had leaking hydraulic fluid inside near the brakes. Fortunately the guy I was with backed me up, there was no way we were flying that thing. Early guess based on the few news articles would be engine failure on takeoff followed by VMC?

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 26, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Rolo posted:

This happened in my airspace. Yeah, not a good feeling. There is actually a lot of open water and marsh/swamp in the area it happened too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Minclark posted:

I love the what if/suppose approach....What if/suppose can go on all day. I will take my chances on the plane. The emergency procedures are printed on the card for a reason.

Conversely, I hate the "Nothing's going to happen to me" attitude.

I'm guessing most people don't pay attention to the safety demo/video or read the card. The avgeek in me knows the exit layouts by heart, but I make sure I know how to operate the window exit if I'm sitting there in case poo poo hit the fan because, with my itinerary yesterday, while the MD-90 has a window that has to be dragged into the cabin, the 737-800 has one that pops straight up outside the fuselage (and, as I found out from an F/A last month, will take you with it if you don't let go).

I'd love (and by "love", I mean "would be horrified") to see an accident which involved having an insufficient cabin crew given the sue-happy culture that is America, even if the passengers on board agreed to go. "AHM GON SUE YOU INTO OBLIVION 'CAUSE YOUR PLANE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE 2 F/AS AND YOU ONLY HAD ONE ON THERE SO THAT THERE FLIGHT WOULD GO!" :patriot:

We all saw what happened when angry (and rightfully so) families and an ambulance chasing Senator, with the help of a pilot who himself crashed a month before, decided to make a change to "safety" five years ago.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 27, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

We all saw what happened when uninformed families and an ambulance chasing Senator, with the help of a pilot who crashed a month before, decided to make a change to "safety" five years ago.

To be fair, there were a lot of sketchy situations that were totally legal under the old rest rules. A 250 hour pilot with a brand new commercial cert has no business being in the cockpit of what passes for a "regional" airplane these days.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What are you referring to? Just curious.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The rest rules made sense to me, the 1,500 hour rule still seems flawed.

CharlesM posted:

What are you referring to? Just curious.

The 1,500 Hour Rule/The ATP Law.

http://www.alpa.org/portals/alpa/1500Rule/

Mandates a minimum of 1,500 hours flight time to operate a commercial flight for an American carrier, with some exceptions for alums of selected aviation schools. Previously, airlines could hire with as little as 250, though hiring minimums could fluctuate with demand. Then Colgan 3407 happened, the families, Chuck Schumer, and Captain Sully got involved, and spit out a law that may not have prevented the accident which inspired it.

e- Fixed link.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 27, 2014

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I think 250 is too low, and 1500 is too drat high. That said, now that I'm getting close to 1500, of course I don't want it to go away, as it provides a large barrier to entry. The exemptions they carved out for Riddle/UND are absolute horseshit, however.
I would have been happy if it was 1000 for everyone. At least it would have made sense with the part 135 mins. Ultimately, the whole thing is a classic pyramid scheme, because without international students, there is no way for CFIs to get their hours and progress. There are so few american flight students right now.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Slaughter posted:

I think 250 is too low, and 1500 is too drat high. That said, now that I'm getting close to 1500, of course I don't want it to go away, as it provides a large barrier to entry. The exemptions they carved out for Riddle/UND are absolute horseshit, however.
I would have been happy if it was 1000 for everyone. At least it would have made sense with the part 135 mins. Ultimately, the whole thing is a classic pyramid scheme, because without international students, there is no way for CFIs to get their hours and progress. There are so few american flight students right now.

What's worse is there's a clause stating that Instrument and Commercial must be completed at the approved school's flight training center for the 1000/1250 credit, with no apparent grandfathering. So if you've already got one or both...tough break.

Did some research for my Capstone & one study conducted a survey, where 8.5% of respondents had thrown in the towel on pursuing training for an airline career. Another 32.5% are evaluating if they're going to keep going.

• Locked thread