Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't think my 2012 N7 even has an LED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

I don't think my 2012 N7 even has an LED.
You're correct, that explains why I couldn't remember what colour it was!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nexus S didn't have an LED notification light either.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
I want to get an 8" tablet. What does the goon hive-mind think about the Dell Venue 8? decent deal at $150 or wait for a Nexus 8? I would just go for a 2013 Nexus 7 but really like the 8" form factor.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

el_brio posted:

I want to get an 8" tablet. What does the goon hive-mind think about the Dell Venue 8? decent deal at $150 or wait for a Nexus 8? I would just go for a 2013 Nexus 7 but really like the 8" form factor.

Get the LG G Pad 8.3, it's pretty much the Nexus 7 but bigger. Plus there's also a Google edition of it.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

el_brio posted:

No Guarantees but the current rumour mill is the new Nexus will be 8.9", which seems a weird size choice but might be a compromise on replacing the 10 without killimg the 7? So I guess if you really want a Nexus (I kind of do) wait and see for another month or two. Otherwise the LG seems like a good option.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

JoeMB posted:

Get the LG G Pad 8.3, it's pretty much the Nexus 7 but bigger. Plus there's also a Google edition of it.

If I was going to shell out more $ for the G Pad I think I'll just wait for the Nexus 8". After reading about problems with the Dell, I'll just wait it out. I still have my old TF101 but I recently ran over (in my car) my 2012 Nexus 7. I miss having something small around. TF101 kinda sucks.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I bought a poetic slimline case for my 2013 Nexus 7 back in October and it was working out well until early-mid January when both corners on the left side just started... kind of disintegrating and falling apart. I know that there's a 3 year warranty,but for something this cheap, I feel like it's not really worth the hassle of opening a RMA, shipping it back to them and waiting to get a replacement. Has anyone had any success with any other similar cases for their 2013 Nexus 7?

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
My husband just got his bonus check which happily coincides with my birthday, and for lack of anything else I really want right now, we've decided to get a tablet for my present.

I'll use it at home for reading forums and ebooks, Facebook and whatnot, and streaming video. He'd be using it at gigs to hold lyrics and stuff. They use Apple hardware and software for recording, so I don't imagine there'd be much overlap there, but I refuse to dip my toes in the Apple pool for reasons and it's ostensibly my birthday present, so Android it is.

What's the most highly recommended 10" tablet right now? I'm guessing from catching up on the thread there hasn't been an update to the Nexus 10", so is there anything better currently then the Samsung Note 10.1?

Money isn't particularly an object beyond the fact I feel spending more than 500 on a tablet is fairly ridiculous (otherwise I'd actually consider a surface 2 pro, cause at least I could pay some steam games on it...however, I'll be damned if I'm paying 1k for a tablet).

Cerri fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 26, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Whelp, my N7 (2013) just stopped working (can't get it to boot on), so I am filing a claim with Asus now. So far they logged me out once while I was waiting for them to finish the RMA.

My own risk on going with the N7, but man am I going to take a lot of pictures so I have verification that it is not damaged.

How have others' luck been with Asus recently (I know they are usually terrible)?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What have you done to make sure it doesn't boot on. Sometimes You have to charge it for a few hours before it comes on. I had good experience with Asus. I stepped on mine and it ended up with a spot of stuck blue pixels in the middle of the screen. No physical damage so I RMA'd it. They replaced the screen and it's been great ever since.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Tunga posted:

Android uses Wi-Fi networks for location when you're on Wi-Fi so this is still stupid. Seriously, the radio should just be completely off when I'm on Wi-Fi.

I thought it uses both simultaneously when it can since Wifi has its disadvantages vs mobile: what if the access point in question hasn't already been logged by Google/stamped with location data (due to circumstance/opt-out) for instance?

Also taking an armchair look at Google's power profile measurements for the N7, it seems that idling on mobile ("radio.on") then ramping up when required ("radio.active") is more efficient than turning it off completely if you're bouncing between the two a couple of times a day since you skip the intermediary "radio.scanning" step which is an order of magnitude greater drain than idling so would negate the savings.

Maybe I'm missing something but it really doesn't seem as outrageous as you say.

Cerri posted:

My husband just got his bonus check which happily coincides with my birthday, and for lack of anything else I really want right now, we've decided to get a tablet for my present.

I'll use it at home for reading forums and ebooks, Facebook and whatnot, and streaming video. He'd be using it at gigs to hold lyrics and stuff. They use Apple hardware and software for recording, so I don't imagine there'd be much overlap there, but I refuse to dip my toes in the Apple pool for reasons and it's ostensibly my birthday present, so Android it is.

What's the most highly recommended 10" tablet right now? I'm guessing from catching up on the thread there hasn't been an update to the Nexus 10", so is there anything better currently then the Samsung Note 10.1?

Money isn't particularly an object beyond the fact I feel spending more than 500 on a tablet is fairly ridiculous (otherwise I'd actually consider a surface 2 pro, cause at least I could pay some steam games on it...however, I'll be damned if I'm paying 1k for a tablet).

I think this Nexus 10 Ebay daily deal would've worked out best but looks like it ended some hours ago.

I'd really reconsider the iPad since it's the optimal choice for musicians in ways which are currently non-existent on Android. But failing that one of the 2014 Samsungs is probably the least bad choice.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 27, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

What have you done to make sure it doesn't boot on. Sometimes You have to charge it for a few hours before it comes on. I had good experience with Asus. I stepped on mine and it ended up with a spot of stuck blue pixels in the middle of the screen. No physical damage so I RMA'd it. They replaced the screen and it's been great ever since.

plugged up over night, different chargers, etc. Just looks toasted.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
My 2012 Nexus 7 died a few weeks ago so I got an LG G Pad 8.3 (GPE) and thought I'd post a quick report since there isn't much here about it:

Cons:

GPE is expensive ($350, only from Google Play store). You can find the non-GPE version for $20-50 less (Newegg had a combo sale a few weeks ago where you could of gotten the white version for $250 even) but you'll have to put up with LG's software or deal with rooting/Romming it. Also I think you get a better warranty with the GPE version.

No wireless charging. Ever since I got my N5 I want every device to have this.

Pros:

It's otherwise a 2013 N7 with a bigger screen and SD card slot. I mean that as a compliment. It's very well built (I paired mine with this case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HH6JV50/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )nice and fast, and the screen looks great. I stuck a 64gb SD in it to use as a local storage for content I sync with Plex (I fly a ton for business, so I don't always have internet when I want it).

It's running stock KitKat 4.4.2 and seems to get updates almost as fast as Nexus devices.

Overall it's a quality device and I really, really like the 8.3 inch screen size - it's still small enough to be convenient, but I find it to be much easier to read and browse the web on than my old 2012 Nexus 7, and not just because of the better resolution.

If you are looking for a slightly bigger Nexus 7 this is the one you want.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vagrancy posted:

I thought it uses both simultaneously when it can since Wifi has its disadvantages vs mobile: what if the access point in question hasn't already been logged by Google/stamped with location data (due to circumstance/opt-out) for instance?

Also taking an armchair look at Google's power profile measurements for the N7, it seems that idling on mobile ("radio.on") then ramping up when required ("radio.active") is more efficient than turning it off completely if you're bouncing between the two a couple of times a day since you skip the intermediary "radio.scanning" step which is an order of magnitude greater drain than idling so would negate the savings.

Maybe I'm missing something but it really doesn't seem as outrageous as you say.
It probably does use both but the benefits of occasionally getting an accurate location on Wi-Fi compared to a few extra days of idle time doesn't seem to be a good trade-off.

I'm making a really a simple comparison here.

If I set my tablet to Aeroplane Mode and then re-enable Wi-Fi, it'll idle for about a week.
If I just leave it as Google intended, it'll idle for three days, barely.

In other words, something related to the cell radio is eating around 50% of my battery for close to zero benefit. I think it's reasonable to find that rather frustrating, no?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Tunga posted:

It probably does use both but the benefits of occasionally getting an accurate location on Wi-Fi compared to a few extra days of idle time doesn't seem to be a good trade-off.

If I set my tablet to Aeroplane Mode and then re-enable Wi-Fi, it'll idle for about a week.

In other words, something related to the cell radio is eating around 50% of my battery for close to zero benefit. I think it's reasonable to find that rather frustrating, no?

My 2013 N7 has this exact behavior and it's infuriating.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Probably getting a Nexus 7 2013 model later this week, but wondering about the video stream options it has for Twitch, Livestream, and Hitbox. I saw some mentions on Google that you need to install flash to view those, but at the same time saw mentions the newer firmwares limits the options.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Rirse posted:

Probably getting a Nexus 7 2013 model later this week, but wondering about the video stream options it has for Twitch, Livestream, and Hitbox. I saw some mentions on Google that you need to install flash to view those, but at the same time saw mentions the newer firmwares limits the options.

You cannot use Flash on newer versions of Android. Twitch and Livestream appear to have apps you can use, and from my 10 seconds of research, Hitbox sounds like it works in the mobile browser so it probably uses HTML5, and there will be an app for it eventually.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You cannot use Flash on newer versions of Android. Twitch and Livestream appear to have apps you can use, and from my 10 seconds of research, Hitbox sounds like it works in the mobile browser so it probably uses HTML5, and there will be an app for it eventually.

If it anything like the Livestream app for my iphone, then it the new version that has none of the streams I watch, as they are still on the "Livestream Original". Which looks like the old app on itunes for Livestream Original got desisted, so I am figuring the same thing happened to the Android/Google Store version. Wish the new Livestream app would let you watch both feeds and not splinter them off.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You cannot use Flash on newer versions of Android. Twitch and Livestream appear to have apps you can use,

Unfortuentally you can't view archives on Twitch using the app so I've had to use the fake flash (FlashFox, Photon Browser) browsers to watch archived twitch streams before.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm trying to back up some game saves from root/data/data on my Nexus 7 2013, but for some reason I can't extract any of the files. I've tried sending them directly to Dropbox (through Root Explorer) and copying the files to the internal storage partition and either downloading onto my computer (both a Windows 8 and Mac OS 10.9 machine) and I get a failure every time. The last time I tried this under Jelly Bean I had no issues whatsoever. What gives?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
When is googles usual tablet announcement?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

When is googles usual tablet announcement?

Google usually announces in Summer and it launches mid-to-late Summer.

Sometimes phones are announced around the same time but launch in mid-to-late Fall.

Considering that the Nexus 7 (2013) and Nexus 5 weren't announced at Google I/O 2013, I'd say don't expect a device announcement then. Google is trying to do a more developer approach to that instead.

Besides, evleaks and store info online usually spoil the annoucement a month or so before the actual announcement so I'd keep an eye on the evleaks Twitter too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Google's only released 3 tablets AFAIK; 2 7" models and the now (discontinued?) sold out 10" model. Speculation is going to be just that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Google's only released 3 tablets AFAIK; 2 7" models and the now (discontinued?) sold out 10" model. Speculation is going to be just that.

This is pretty much correct.

The only Nexus device that's been 100% confirmed is the Nexus phone for 2014 which will not be released before Fall 2014 according to Sundar Pichai himself who told it to Phone Arena.

So any rumor or speculation or "fact" claiming that a new Nexus phone will release before Fall 2014 is a lie. It could be early, mid, late Fall or even Winter 2014.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Googles-Sundar-Pichai-says-Galaxy-S6-will-run-Android-no-new-Nexus-phone-before-Q3-2014_id53286

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Google will announce some kind of hardware at Google IO at the end of June, but there's nothing to say it will be a tablet. Attendees have always been given free hardware at previous events.

There's a decent chance they'll have some kind of smartwatch but that might just be the Moto 360 or LG G Watch. In the past they've also launched the Chromebook Pixel and Chromecast, and one year everyone got a Galaxy Nexus which wasn't even new.

There's an 8.9in tablet rumoured, as well as a (~10in?) Chrome-based tablet, but these are very sketchy.

Maybe they'll just give everyone a giant spider robot.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I bought a poetic slimline case for my 2013 Nexus 7 back in October and it was working out well until early-mid January when both corners on the left side just started... kind of disintegrating and falling apart. I know that there's a 3 year warranty,but for something this cheap, I feel like it's not really worth the hassle of opening a RMA, shipping it back to them and waiting to get a replacement. Has anyone had any success with any other similar cases for their 2013 Nexus 7?

This is a few days old but if you take pictures of the damage they might just send you a new one and let you keep the old one. I know that happened for me when my 2012 model had an issue. Whatever issues their cases might have, their customer service is pretty fantastic.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Any particularly compelling reason not to buy a Sony Z2 tablet (10 inch, SGP511E2)? There doesn't exactly seem to be an abundance of good 10-inch tablets at the moment, but the Sony Z2 looks decent.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

Google will announce some kind of hardware at Google IO at the end of June, but there's nothing to say it will be a tablet. Attendees have always been given free hardware at previous events.

There's a decent chance they'll have some kind of smartwatch but that might just be the Moto 360 or LG G Watch. In the past they've also launched the Chromebook Pixel and Chromecast, and one year everyone got a Galaxy Nexus which wasn't even new.

There's an 8.9in tablet rumoured, as well as a (~10in?) Chrome-based tablet, but these are very sketchy.

Maybe they'll just give everyone a giant spider robot.

I think they are trying to make it less of a new hardware showcase and more about development. They typically announce a new major Android version as well. Last year they did announce the Chromecast, but I think it'll be a watch this year. During the I/O keynote I usually keep a bunch of browsers open on the device page of the play store auto refreshing so I can immediately buy whatever they release. I had the Chromecast with in seconds of it being announce, and I'm 100% going to buy the Moto360, unless a more appealing watch is announced.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

They didn't announce the Chromecast, the Pixel, or new Android at I/O last year - the Chromecast and Android 4.3 were announced two months later in July, and the Pixel was released several months prior (in February) although they gave them out to attendees.

So don't be sad if I/O rolls around and nothing other than developer-related material comes out, it's happened before. They'll ship things when they ship them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kitten smoothie posted:

They didn't announce the Chromecast, the Pixel, or new Android at I/O last year - the Chromecast and Android 4.3 were announced two months later in July, and the Pixel was released several months prior (in February) although they gave them out to attendees.

So don't be sad if I/O rolls around and nothing other than developer-related material comes out, it's happened before. They'll ship things when they ship them.

Guess I remembered it wrong. I do think that I/O is a long time from now for a smart watch release. It's like Microsoft announcing the Surface, everyone is excited, and then they don't actually put it out for months and months.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep, I remembered incorrectly. Last year's big announcements were the Google Maps redesign, launch of Play Music All Access, and the GPE S4 (and HTC One?).

I definitely agree that there is a move away from launching hardware there, but at the same time they have set up Android Wear perfectly to launch something there. And they have always given away hardware close to the value of the ticket, so they'll have to find something. Could easily be a Chromebook 2 and Nexus 5 though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Guess I remembered it wrong. I do think that I/O is a long time from now for a smart watch release. It's like Microsoft announcing the Surface, everyone is excited, and then they don't actually put it out for months and months.

The nexus 7 was announced at I/O 2012. So there is a precedent for it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's wasted energy to try to predict what Google will do since none of their patterns seem to last much beyond a single cycle.

It also doesn't matter what they announce since it will be months (if ever) before it means anything to the consumer.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Tunga posted:

Yeah I get that. I wasn't arguing what you describe isn't a broken situation, just that the concept of tablets idling on cellular isn't inherently broken in and of itself and its the poor implementation you should be blaming. The benefit/battery life thing is a false trade off since just idling shouldn't be causing that significant a battery hit in the first place.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Before we get in to too much "what's next" speculation - a fools errand - it's worth remembering GPE, specifically the one and only GPE tablet - the G Pad 8.3.

I've had mine going on two weeks and I'm still just as happy with it. It's missing Wireless Charging (which I regret) and NFC (which I could personally give a poo poo about, at least with a tablet) but has the bigger screen and a microSD slot over the N7 for around the same battery life/performance.

It's really well built - doesn't feel cheap in the least, and not a "creak" to be had - and runs great. So if you are waiting for a slightly bigger N7, guess what, it's more or less here already.

Since the "mobile" market is what it is I am sure something better (yet still missing one or two features someone, somewhere, wants) will be out, but I'm using my GPad now, and it's just fine. I don't know if I could put up with LG's version of Android but the GPE version works great.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately GPE devices are all US-only, so a lot of us still rely on getting excited about the possibility of a more widely released Nexus device.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tunga posted:

Unfortunately GPE devices are all US-only, so a lot of us still rely on getting excited about the possibility of a more widely released Nexus device.

Pretty much this. I would buy a Gpad GPE right now to get rid of my huge Asus TF201, and I think I'm going to hold for the next Nexus tablet and see what it is. Worst case scenario is buying a N7 2013 wich is great, so waiting is well worth the wait.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Ah, didn't realize GPE was US only even for tablets. GPE Phones I get but the GPE G Pad is WiFi only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ordered my Nexus 7 2013, but I am curious. I have in the past some Android games from Humble Bundle and there is a new PC + Android bundle, will those work on the Nexus 7? I only ask since it uses Google Play instead of the normal Android store it seems.