Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Thanks for the recommendations! I'm pretty pleased with how things worked out, especially since it's my very first LP.

Now I have an actual reason to go back and rework the opening chapter. I agree that the game really took off when I got fired took a new opportunity in Wales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Does anyone know of a good Ground Zeroes lets play?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Vier posted:

Does anyone know of a good Ground Zeroes lets play?

Wait until Chip does it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

NeilPerry posted:

Wait until Chip does it.

Fair warning, he said that he wasn't going to do it until he LPs Phantom Pain as well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

That's a sound plan. GZ is very small and short.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Does that mean GZ is really not part of TPP after all? I had always figured GZ was just the prologue part of the full Phantom Pain game but it was release early because... I dunno? :confused:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sundowner posted:

Does that mean GZ is really not part of TPP after all?
The idea is the same as with the Tanker and Plant chapters of MGS2, only this time the tanker is sold separately.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Sundowner posted:

Does that mean GZ is really not part of TPP after all? I had always figured GZ was just the prologue part of the full Phantom Pain game but it was release early because... I dunno? :confused:

Well, Phantom Pain is the main story. They both comprise MGSV.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Well yeah I know they're literally related but I figured TPP was going to be the content of GZ and the rest of TPP as one and they just sold the "tanker mission" part early because next gen money hype. Ah well, by the time TPP is approaching I'll probably find GZ cheaper and/or be able to watch Chip manhandle it.

Gearface
Feb 25, 2013
Just wanted to throw a quick recommendation at dscruffy1's Monaco LP. It's a game that I really wish more people knew about, and scruffy's doing a wonderful job showing off why I love it so much. He knows when to let the game talk and when to point things out - his commentary is at a level of unobtrusiveness usually found in a subtitle LP. Don't skip the multi-player videos, either, because they're very funny and quite a bit more touch-and-go. The scurrying alone is worth the watch.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Sundowner posted:

Well yeah I know they're literally related but I figured TPP was going to be the content of GZ and the rest of TPP as one and they just sold the "tanker mission" part early because next gen money hype. Ah well, by the time TPP is approaching I'll probably find GZ cheaper and/or be able to watch Chip manhandle it.

He did a stream of it a few days ago, you might be able to find that on Twitch.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

What's up with Clownbirth and his LPs? Sorry, maybe it's ~legendary insider LP info~.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Gearface posted:

Just wanted to throw a quick recommendation at dscruffy1's Monaco LP. It's a game that I really wish more people knew about, and scruffy's doing a wonderful job showing off why I love it so much. He knows when to let the game talk and when to point things out - his commentary is at a level of unobtrusiveness usually found in a subtitle LP. Don't skip the multi-player videos, either, because they're very funny and quite a bit more touch-and-go. The scurrying alone is worth the watch.
Seconding this, I love this LP, despite not usually being into this kind of game. Also, for my fellow insomniacs, I fall asleep to the single player version of this almost every time, then I just watch the rest in the morning.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

GentlemanBrofro posted:

What's up with Clownbirth and his LPs? Sorry, maybe it's ~legendary insider LP info~.

They weren't that funny but NOBODY HAS DONE ANYTHING LIKE IT so some people want to make sure the horse never stops being beaten.

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
So it's basically the new GBS equivalent of LPs? I could see that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ritcheyz posted:

So it's basically the new GBS equivalent of LPs? I could see that.

It reminded me of some of those YCS LP's I've been seeing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

They weren't that funny but NOBODY HAS DONE ANYTHING LIKE IT so some people want to make sure the horse never stops being beaten.

I thought parts of it were genuinely funny. I chuckled whenever someone started the "hello?" thing, and the terrible fan fiction was hilarious. I could've done without the ironic racism or the long stretches of people just screeching into the mics, but eh. Your mileage may vary.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

GentlemanBrofro posted:

it was in the old days of lp so a lot of goons have nostalgia for it cause a lot of them were young teens who thought everything was funny at that time

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
*Looks at the cool people chilling* What are they doing? I don't get it.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Realtalk if you can't see the inherent humour in a bunch of grown adults bullying a small child because he was too stupid to know any better and kept coming back for more then I don't know what to tell you, you're just a broken sperg

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Paper Lion posted:

Realtalk if you can't see the inherent humour in a bunch of grown adults bullying a small child because he was too stupid to know any better and kept coming back for more then I don't know what to tell you, you're just a broken sperg

The sweetest lil cutie

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paper Lion posted:

Right, I too laugh when children are bullied.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

Right, I too laugh when children are bullied.

Please read about the dangers of cyberbullying in my brochure "Something Awful Says: Stay Positive, Stay Cool".

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Paper Lion posted:

It's the people who do see the humour in that that are the broken spergs. Sorry you had to find out this way!

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

JordanKai posted:

It's the people who do see the humour in that that are the broken spergs. Sorry you had to find out this way!

When you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:

Mush Man posted:

When you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.

This is my favourite saying of John Cena's.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JordanKai posted:

I'm pretty sure slowbeef was in that chat, why are you attacking the poor guy and accusing him of being autistic?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Paper Lion posted:

Uh, since when was he a small child?

Clownbirth used to love LP - as far as I knew, he was somewhere in the 16-20 range. He would call me on Skype (as "Sireg") and I wouldn't answer because I don't just answer random calls from people and I didn't know him at the time. But it was constant. I'd try to record something, call from Sireg. I'd be browsing the web, call from Sireg. He even made a Golden Sun LP with the main character named "SLOWB". You tell me that's flattering.

I was on Skype with a few people, he called me for the umpteenth time, and I finally answered and told him to stop calling and that he was getting annoying. I could've handled it better, but it was really getting on my nerves.

So then he didn't like me or LP and he started to do all this ironic poo poo. I tried to "offer an olive branch" or two, and promote his streams/threads whatever, but then it was too late and "gently caress slowbeef" and all that. I think the final straw for me was when he asked me on Skype how it would feel to know my name would forever be associated with something as stupid as Let's Play.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

slowbeef posted:

Clownbirth used to love LP - as far as I knew, he was somewhere in the 16-20 range. He would call me on Skype (as "Sireg") and I wouldn't answer because I don't just answer random calls from people and I didn't know him at the time. But it was constant. I'd try to record something, call from Sireg. I'd be browsing the web, call from Sireg. He even made a Golden Sun LP with the main character named "SLOWB". You tell me that's flattering.

I was on Skype with a few people, he called me for the umpteenth time, and I finally answered and told him to stop calling and that he was getting annoying. I could've handled it better, but it was really getting on my nerves.

So then he didn't like me or LP and he started to do all this ironic poo poo. I tried to "offer an olive branch" or two, and promote his streams/threads whatever, but then it was too late and "gently caress slowbeef" and all that. I think the final straw for me was when he asked me on Skype how it would feel to know my name would forever be associated with something as stupid as Let's Play.
Thanks for the viewpoint, I always assumed he was simply the prototype of those moronic "hi guys just regged yesterday!! watch my minecraft lp" youtube dumpers but so thick he willingly ignored all feedback and thought everyone was laughing with him. I'm actually surprised that the truth is even more pathetic.

Also the way you phrased it made it sound like he thinks "slow beef" is your real name. :allears:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 26, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

I think the final straw for me was when he asked me on Skype how it would feel to know my name would forever be associated with something as stupid as Let's Play.

How does it feel to know that your name will forever be associated with something as stupid as Let's Play?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

slowbeef posted:

Uh, since when was he a small child?

Super flattering, you were clearly some mentally challenged kid's hero Slowbeef. Why'd you break that poor kids innocence by showing him that heroes aren't real?

Does that kind of creepy stuff happen often? Do the new mods get people trying to talk to them all the time? That's a bit weird.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

KittyEmpress posted:

Does that kind of creepy stuff happen often? Do the new mods get people trying to talk to them all the time? That's a bit weird.

To be clear, I wasn't a mod at the time. This started around the whole "omg slowbeef invented lp he is the greatest his lps are like art" kind of period when the sub-forum started. I guess that was my peak before I ran out of ideas. Another goon - who was a lot more normal - had even started an Eye of the Beholder LP where I was a character in his party. That got abandoned quick and he seemed a lot more down to earth, so I forgave that. (I didn't like the trend of people naming characters after me, though those were the only 2 cases I knew about.)

Clownbirth also holds the distinction of the only LPer I know to be asked NOT to do an LP by the developer. Sorta.

He did a Yoshi's Island ROMhack and the ROMhacker asked him to stop. He said he didn't mind LPs, but he didn't like Clownbirth's. I forget why. I remember it actually wasn't totally unreasonable, but I really forget the details.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

KittyEmpress posted:

I knew a person who got ridiculously excited because they bought the same brand of capture card that Chip uses. Like that made them friends, or put them in a special little club together, or something. Fans are creepy in general, it's in the namesake.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

(I didn't like the trend of people naming characters after me, though those were the only 2 cases I knew about.)

Hm. I guess this is an awkward time to tell you the name of my Borderlands 2 character, then.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hm. I guess this is an awkward time to tell you the name of my Borderlands 2 character, then.

You think that's bad, I named my biological daughter "Slowbeef".

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

It happens all the time on the Internet if you become well known for something. Slightly flattering and super annoying at the time, and I can't even imagine how people like movie stars or famous singers tolerate it in real life.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Lots of self-medication, I presume. Not that I read tabloids, or anything.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Okay, kind of a weird question given the nature of the game, but I'm curious and I haven't been following or even been able to follow most LPs of the game so I don't know whether or when this has been done. Basically, I'm familiar with Dwarf Fortress LPs and I see them all the time but what I'm interested in seeing is some kind of Let's Break equivalent. No focus on story or the lives of the dwarves, no rotating overseers with haphazard plans, just the ruthless system-exploiting vision of a single mad genius breaking the stock game over their knee in a mostly-victorious fashion using his or her dwarves as the expendable pawns of industry that they are. The kind of player who not only would be prepared for sieges, but who so thoroughly devastates and humiliates them that hundreds of invaders can be met and bested by a well-trained dwarven army that isn't constantly loving off to have parties. The kind of player who not only can reach Hell within their fortress's lifetime, but conquer it.

Alternatively, someone who understands the insane hidden knowledge of DF and exploits it in Adventure Mode to be an rear end in a top hat. Anything like that?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:wtc: Jesus that kid had issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Nakar posted:

Okay, kind of a weird question given the nature of the game, but I'm curious and I haven't been following or even been able to follow most LPs of the game so I don't know whether or when this has been done. Basically, I'm familiar with Dwarf Fortress LPs and I see them all the time but what I'm interested in seeing is some kind of Let's Break equivalent. No focus on story or the lives of the dwarves, no rotating overseers with haphazard plans, just the ruthless system-exploiting vision of a single mad genius breaking the stock game over their knee in a mostly-victorious fashion using his or her dwarves as the expendable pawns of industry that they are. The kind of player who not only would be prepared for sieges, but who so thoroughly devastates and humiliates them that hundreds of invaders can be met and bested by a well-trained dwarven army that isn't constantly loving off to have parties. The kind of player who not only can reach Hell within their fortress's lifetime, but conquer it.

Alternatively, someone who understands the insane hidden knowledge of DF and exploits it in Adventure Mode to be an rear end in a top hat. Anything like that?

The primary reason why these don't happen is that they're honestly easy in comparison to do compared to the gimmick runs. Unless you're in an Evil biome, sieges rapidly cease becoming a problem a decade or so into your Fort's run, and going to hell is a matter of course. Conquering it? Well, there are literally infinite demons. You can't conquer it and keep it, but people can and have built their actual forts in hell and waged a nonstop war against the demons. I'm not saying that you won't find one if you look, but that'd be why they're hard to find.

• Locked thread