Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The period after sugar is in a completely different light now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Poor Zane. I can almost imagine the :downs: face.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Kgummy posted:

I thought the same thing. Though it was more what was heating the floors. If it's just one of the mysteries, or just something Zane does off screen.

And I did a quick search and underfloor heating has apparently been a thing for way longer than I thought.

Way, way longer than most people think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocaust

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sound you hear isn't somebody getting shot down, it's birds flying in the engine during takeoff :v:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I will never say no to more Cadavre.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I guess it goes without saying that the visiting authors has soething to do with Maris' death, what with newest update.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's all fun and games until someone actually gets hurt.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Just a head's up: Kris is going to have a Zane and Mercy pin to give/trade/sell at PAX east for those who are going.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Stumbling through here, eyes half closed in fear of spoilers, but I just wanted to say I've just finished Book 1 (holy poo poo "Where did this come from?") and thank you for bringing this story to my attention.

EDIT
And now I'm all caught up and I want more.

Popo fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 8, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Cake and pie always win out over drunk rich people.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

So I may have missed a few updates, but it seems things are starting to get interesting again.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"drat, I missed two weeks' worth of updates! And it hardly mattered!"

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Well that's different.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Is the Architect out on lunch or something?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Don't sit on it Zane! We've all read the Use of Weapons!

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
So apparently Kris Straub's doing a new video podcast thing where he talks about various creepypastas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPzb1cBpj3Q

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
^^Is he just joking with the "Author of Candle Cove" line or is he saying he wrote the "Candle Cove" creepy-pasta?^^

EDIT: NVM, watched the video. That's pretty cool. Candle Cove is one of my favorite creepy-pasta.

drat Zane. Don't shoot (what I assume is)the messenger.

I get the feeling that we may be in for a "careful what you wish for" situation. Zane gets (really) scared by what happens next and way more memories than he was expecting floods in all at once. I'm still expecting a some kind of "tons of hosed up poo poo has been happening in the background this whole chapter and everyone is just forgetting it step by step, including the 'readers' via omission in the comic" reveal.

Crain fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 25, 2014

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Crain posted:

^^Is he just joking with the "Author of Candle Cove" line or is he saying he wrote the "Candle Cove" creepy-pasta?^^

EDIT: NVM, watched the video. That's pretty cool. Candle Cove is one of my favorite creepy-pasta.

drat Zane. Don't shoot (what I assume is)the messenger.

I get the feeling that we may be in for a "careful what you wish for" situation. Zane gets (really) scared by what happens next and way more memories than he was expecting floods in all at once. I'm still expecting a some kind of "tons of hosed up poo poo has been happening in the background this whole chapter and everyone is just forgetting it step by step, including the 'readers' via omission in the comic" reveal.

I feel the exact same thing, and the bit that worries me the most is how the title for this comic is just...

"DONT"

I mean, Zane does say it in the comic, but when read after the actual strip, it feels like whatever god-like figure is objecting to his request.

And I am trying not to say Straub is a god.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That would be making the assumption that Straub wants Zane to be safe and happy though :unsmigghh:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Tollymain posted:

That would be making the assumption that Straub wants Zane to be safe and happy though :unsmigghh:

Well if we're assuming that "DON'T" refers to Zane's request to be scared, thus regaining lost memories/knowledge, it's less that Straub/God/STRAUBGOD wants him to be safe/happy and more that he wants him ignorant. Also ignorance in Broodhollow doesn't mean you're safe, just that you're an easy victim since you aren't (or can't) keeping an eye out for danger.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Crain posted:

Also ignorance in Broodhollow doesn't mean you're safe, just that you're an easy victim since you aren't (or can't) keeping an eye out for danger.

Of course, being informed in Broodhollow doesn't leave you any better off either.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Opposing Farce posted:

Of course, being informed in Broodhollow doesn't leave you any better off either.

True, it's the difference between looking at the train that's barreling down the tunnel towards you vs. being turned around, blindfolded, and with plugs in your ears. You're still probably not going to escape, but at least you have the chance.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Crain posted:

True, it's the difference between looking at the train that's barreling down the tunnel towards you vs. being turned around, blindfolded, and with plugs in your ears. You're still probably not going to escape, but at least you have the chance.

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

If it involves supernatural ghosts that stitch themselves a new body out of people they murdered or a giant ghost-pillar that does whatever the gently caress it does, I'd prefer ignorance.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Well that's...odd.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh poo poo. Well that looks... full.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, that sent a shiver up my spine.

So, place your bet:

a) Grandfather's diary, wrote down everything like Zane
b) Zane has been stuck here way longer than he thinks, he had time to write that whole diary, forget the whole thing, and start fresh without realizing it
c) Diary pulled directly out of his subconscious, contains dark secrets man was not meant to know

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Well, that sent a shiver up my spine.

So, place your bet:

a) Grandfather's diary, wrote down everything like Zane
b) Zane has been stuck here way longer than he thinks, he had time to write that whole diary, forget the whole thing, and start fresh without realizing it
c) Diary pulled directly out of his subconscious, contains dark secrets man was not meant to know

Combine A & B: Zane is his own Grandfather and Broodhollow is on a time loop where he is doomed to continually move to town after an early life of failed encyclopedia sales.

But really I'm sure we're gonna be a nice load of lost knowledge like I said earlier. The book looks more worn than really old.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bobulus posted:

So, place your bet:
d) This is the nightmare

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

E) Wadsworth's life is the nightmare. Of a demon :kheldragar:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there bloodstains on that book?

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Just noticed that the blood-chair is a dead ringer for the chair after Zane wakes up.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

There are bloodstains on that book. :ohdear:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Just noticed the blog entry from April 25 about the Curious Little Thing soundtrack, and listed to 'Iris'. It's a little slower and gentler than the music that goes through my head as I've been reading Broodhollow-- 'Peper Steak' from Off tends to be the default track in my mind.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm not sure if I want to read on :gonk:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

nimby posted:

I'm not sure if I want to read on :gonk:

I want to read on even more :getin:

(Someone should make a eldrich themed version of that. maybe a cross between :getin: and :unsmigghh:)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god.

https://twitter.com/krisstraub/statuses/461653347410276352

krisstraub posted:

in book 1, when zane's decisions advanced the plot, he's facing/going to the right. when he made mistakes or wrong, he's facing/going left

Is he loving with us or not?

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

If it's the same for Book 2, does that mean Zane asking to be scared was a huge, huge mistake? :ohdear:

I never thought I'd be this unnerved by something with such a cartoony style, but I'm pretty sure it just makes it worse.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Somebody'll check.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Well if we start from the POV that what Straub says is the truth then noticing and thus grabbing and opening the letter that brought him to Broodhollow was a mistake. But that much was known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tollymain posted:

Somebody'll check.

Meh, not like there'll be a pattern or anything.

• Locked thread