Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

And Abigail is probably not dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm guess that's what Beverly found in the basement.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
White guys would be the only characters allowed to die, as well as be villains(unless they're a cool & kickass, hot, non-one-dimensional, not evil or racist villain) on TV shows and movies if I had my way.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
One of the things I really like about this show is that it's careful to avoid skeevy stuff like sexualised violence against women, rape scenes, and gross stereotypes, even where it might be 'realistic' given the subject matter. Complaining about it being sexist and racist because one minority character got killed (and let's remember, she was killed partly because she's one of the more important, driven and likeable supporting characters) is an overreaction I wouldn't expect even from the most hardcore Tumblrite. I pretty much can't think of any other show that's primarily about murders but goes so far out of its way to still be welcoming to minority viewers. Even though that sounds kinda weird - wow great finally, serial killer entertainment that women can enjoy too! :shepface:

Snak posted:

They can't really change the gender of... Hannibal.

Too right, a female character obsessed with fashion and cooking who constantly asks people how they feel would be way too stereotypical

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

quote:

I don’t believe they didn’t listen to me because I’m an Asian or a female. I think they didn’t listen to me because I’m an actor.

Hettienne Park is alright in my book. An asian woman on screen who isn't an exotic sex object is forward progress.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

zoux posted:

I'm pretty sensitive to issues of race and color on TV, in some instances because it's actually offensive, or at the very least "Oh great, we're gonna have to hear about this on the internet all week". Like I said this didn't even faintly ping my problematicdar.

Yeah. Walking Dead starting with one black character in a state that has a 30% black population kind of irked me. But I just made fun of the show for it. I didn't get offended by it.

But I do pick up on that stuff, being a minority. And this didn't raise my radar either.

Steve Yun posted:

Hettienne Park is alright in my book. An asian woman on screen who isn't an exotic sex object is forward progress.
This. 100%.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Paradox Personified posted:

Is there terminology for something such as digital-culture-bound syndromes, a la koro? Has to be. If not, I'm motherfucking going back into cultural anthropology and fixing the entirety of tumblr. :smith:

Folie a Tumblr

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

savinhill posted:

White guys would be the only characters allowed to die, as well as be villains(unless they're a cool & kickass, hot, non-one-dimensional, not evil or racist villain) on TV shows and movies if I had my way.

That sounds incredibly boring.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

escape artist posted:

Yeah. Walking Dead starting with one black character in a state that has a 30% black population kind of irked me. But I just made fun of the show for it. I didn't get offended by it.

Yeah, and percentage-wise I'm not sure that it's improved, but Walking Dead now has four black characters on it, which is a lot for a show that's not about "urban" anything...

It's also the only time I've ever seen an Asian man actually get with a white woman.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snak posted:

Yeah, and percentage-wise I'm not sure that it's improved, but Walking Dead now has four black characters on it, which is a lot for a show that's not about "urban" anything...

It's also the only time I've ever seen an Asian man actually get with a white woman.

Its also got women who show toughness but in the non trope way of having either daddy issues, relationship issues or formerly abused - the only one who tries being annoyingly tough was derided hard by other characters.

For all the faults the show has its been pretty progressive in terms of its character cast.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

escape artist posted:

But I do pick up on that stuff, being a minority. And this didn't raise my radar either.

Are you actually Brother Mouzone?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

LostRook posted:

That sounds incredibly boring.

There is no room for frills in a just TV world.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
we're all the same color when sauteed with a nice wine sauce and broiled at 400 for 45 minutes.

this is my design

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

porkchop_express posted:

we're all the same color when sauteed with a nice wine sauce and broiled at 400 for 45 minutes.

this is my design

No, we're all different colors. Different beautiful colors to use for my art, all equally unique.

this is MY design.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

No, we're all different colors. Different beautiful colors to use for my art, all equally unique.

this is MY design.

let's go fishin'

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Kuiperdolin posted:

Just a note about this: I believe Janice Poon's discussion of the food in the finale explicitly said Hannibal and Du Maurier were eating Abigail's head.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Snak posted:

Not to mention Freddy, who should not survive the events of Red Dragon. It's part of the problem with adapting an existing work. They can't really change the gender of Will, Jack, or Hannibal. Points for Jack being non-white (And Fishburne is fantastic, I have never given a poo poo about Jack Crawford before this series), but these same characters are also characters that aren't likely to be killed off. Any female characters in the series need to be additional supporting characters. Supporting characters are more likely to be killed off than core characters.

Chilton is one they probably could have made female without too much uproar, but then you're making a really incompetent and hate-able character female which isn't much improvement. It would change Chilton's interaction with Clarice, but it could have been done well.

Eh, they could have changed Will, Jack, or Hannibal to be female. It would have been controversial, as much if not more so than making Watson female in Elementary, but they could have done it. Maybe a future SOTL-universe adaptation will do it in 20 years, who knows.

I definitely agree, however, that complaints about killing Beverly being racist and sexist are extremely myopic (Hey tumblr, Bryan Fuller genderswapped two characters and raceswapped even more; he also won't be writing in sexualised violence like 99% of crime shows on tv. I think he's on your side! :ssh:).

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

wordsauce posted:

Are you actually Brother Mouzone?

Yes

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Kuiperdolin posted:

Snak posted:

I'm guess that's what Beverly found in the basement.

I've seen a number of posts to this effect, is there anything to suggest that Hannibal keeps prisoners (aside from chains in the basement, I guess)? It seems at odds with his usual MO, but then again I am not super familiar with all of his mannerisms from the books. I can think of a few dozen reasons why it's a pretty dumb idea though and it seems like Hannibal would too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ror posted:

I've seen a number of posts to this effect, is there anything to suggest that Hannibal keeps prisoners (aside from chains in the basement, I guess)? It seems at odds with his usual MO, but then again I am not super familiar with all of his mannerisms from the books. I can think of a few dozen reasons why it's a pretty dumb idea though and it seems like Hannibal would too.

He does keep bodies for later meals or to gently caress with people's minds. He has Miriam Lass's body nearby so he can use it, and I assume Abigails in the case he needs it to mess with Will some more.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Ror posted:

Well they mentioned that Miriam Lass's arm was fresh when they found it in the observatory. So either Hannibal has the world's greatest freezer or he kept her locked up and alive until he wanted to send a message to Jack Crawford.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

DarklyDreaming posted:

So either Hannibal has the world's greatest freezer

This is most certainly a probability.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

Well they mentioned that Miriam Lass's arm was fresh when they found it in the observatory. So either Hannibal has the world's greatest freezer or he kept her locked up and alive until he wanted to send a message to Jack Crawford.

Maybe Katz found both armless Miriam and earless Abigail chilling in his basement.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Barbe Rouge posted:

Maybe Katz found both armless Miriam and earless Abigail chilling in his basement.

sitting browsing tumblr together, posting about how all men are like Hannibal.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mobby_6kl posted:

poo poo guys, isn't there something about cruel an unusual punishment in the constitution?

Will gives all Hannibal's suits to Chilton's.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Gorilla Salad posted:

Will gives all Hannibal's suits to Chilton's.

Will visits Hannibal with all his dogs, each wearing one of Hannibal's suit jackets.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

User-Friendly posted:

Will visits Hannibal with all his dogs, each wearing one of Hannibal's suit jackets.

I don't know what would be more funny. If they were specifically tailored to fit each dog or if they were just hanging off of them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's funnier if they fit badly. Like clearly someone put in enough work so that they aren't getting all bunched up, but just as clearly they've been badly tailored. It's the worst of both worlds.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guys we have a Eighth Amendment in this country you know.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
You fools, it's the suits that hold the serial killing power, obviously. Why do you think he keeps them on when he goes out murdering? If you put them on the dogs you will get lots of adorable little dog hannibals

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Not seeing a downside here.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I can already see 5 seasons post Silence of the Lambs with the suit stealing and cannibal dog plotlines.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
You guys got it all wrong. Will needs to take Hannibal suits, wear one every week whenever he visits him. Except he's made a little modification to all of them:

:twisted:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

savinhill posted:

So the only character that should die in the cast is the non Scott Thompson guy since the rest are defended by race, canon, or sexuality?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

So the only character that should die in the cast is the non Scott Thompson guy since the rest are defended by race, canon, or sexuality?

I think he's Jewish though so he can't be killed either.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm pretty sure Beverley Katz didn't find any living bodies in Hannibal's basement. However, those plastic strip curtains at the entrance I've only ever seen in front of meat lockers or butcher's sections, maybe some other frozen food departments as well. The basement can only be Hannibal's walk-in freezer.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I'm pretty sure Beverley Katz didn't find any living bodies in Hannibal's basement. However, those plastic strip curtains at the entrance I've only ever seen in front of meat lockers or butcher's sections, maybe some other frozen food departments as well. The basement can only be Hannibal's walk-in freezer.

Not to sound hostile, but did y'all not hear the quivering breathing in the basement going on that WASN'T Katz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU0G8nfAaOM

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Yeah there's definitely a human still alive down there, and I thought someone spoilered earlier that it's Miriam Lass?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Noirex posted:

Yeah there's definitely a human still alive down there, and I thought someone spoilered earlier that it's Miriam Lass?

When Lass hand showed up in the show it was fresh so that kind of indicated that she was alive somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

It could just be his latest meal

• Locked thread