Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Monday Bandele posted:

I don't think stats are very useful in isolation in soccer, but there is something kind of, I don't know, interesting when you look at whoscored's Dispossession and Turnover stats: The HIGHER your Dispossession and Turnovers, the more likely you are to score. Say WHAT? One of those things that make you go "hmmmm." In fact, you could argue that Jozy's relatively LOW disp and turnover rate indicate one of his big problems is being TOO careful on the ball, and therefore not taking the low percentage chances that, when taken enough, get you a goal. But then you would notice he has just about the exact same Disp and TO rate as other S'land strikers and you realize: It the F'ing TEAM!!!! oh, wait. Did I say that out loud? Of course, some players get more overall chances so burning a few with high payoff, low percentage moves is not such a big deal. Here's some average stats courtesy of your friends at whoscored.

Crouch: Total goals: 8 Disp/game 2.4 TO/game 2.7
Benteke: total goals: 10 Disp/game 2.2 To/game 2.6
Suarez: tot goals: 28 Disp/game 2.1 TO/game 2.6
Rodriguez: Total goals: 13 disp/game: 2 TO/game 2.5
Sturridge: Tot goals: 19 Disp/game 1.9 TO/game 2.2
remy: tot goals 13 Disp/game 1.5 TO/game 2.2
Bony: total goals 11 Disp/game 1.7 To/game 2.1
Fletch: total goals 3 disp/game 1.2 TO/game 1.7
Gia: total goals 3 disp/game 1.8 TO/game 1.6
Lukaku tot goals 12 disp/game 1.7 TO/game 1.5
Altidore: Total goals 1 Disp/game 1.3 To/game 1.3
van Wolfs Total Goals 1 Disp/game 0.8 TO/game 1.3
Borini: total goals 3 Disp/game 1.1 TO/game 1
Bent: Total goals: 3 Disp/game 0.5 TO/game 0.7
Scocco: total goals 0 disp/game 0.7 TO/game 0.7

Again, I would not make too much of this, but I would suggest if you are going to float some half-arsed theory based "on your eyes" maybe you should get your eyes checked.

And maybe, just maybe, goals scored has something to do with number of chances...

As funny as this thread has been your posts are a particular highlight.

And by your posts I mean the ones you've found elsewhere and posted here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Can we work that data into the chart?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Monday Bandele posted:

I don't think stats are very useful in isolation in soccer, but there is something kind of, I don't know, interesting when you look at whoscored's Dispossession and Turnover stats: The HIGHER your Dispossession and Turnovers, the more likely you are to score. Say WHAT? One of those things that make you go "hmmmm." In fact, you could argue that Jozy's relatively LOW disp and turnover rate indicate one of his big problems is being TOO careful on the ball, and therefore not taking the low percentage chances that, when taken enough, get you a goal. But then you would notice he has just about the exact same Disp and TO rate as other S'land strikers and you realize: It the F'ing TEAM!!!! oh, wait. Did I say that out loud? Of course, some players get more overall chances so burning a few with high payoff, low percentage moves is not such a big deal. Here's some average stats courtesy of your friends at whoscored.

Again, I would not make too much of this, but I would suggest if you are going to float some half-arsed theory based "on your eyes" maybe you should get your eyes checked.

And maybe, just maybe, goals scored has something to do with number of chances...

source

your

quotes

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Monday Bandele posted:

Mate....that's a huge amount of words to say jozy is poo poo

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Monday Bandele posted:

This is beautiful, all that effort to defend jozy

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Monday Bandele posted:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
When I look at Jozy I definitely think "this is a striker who is not losing the ball enough, and clearly it is the rest of the team's fault for not giving his the ball enough for him to lose"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Barry Shitpeas posted:

When I look at Jozy I definitely think "this is a striker who is not losing the ball enough, and clearly it is the rest of the team's fault for not giving his the ball enough for him to lose"

I think you're late for your job at Opta. Tardiness.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Monday Bandele posted:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I like that his theory is based entirely on "Suarez scores a lot but also loses the ball quite often" and the other data he includes show that there is no correlation

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Monday Bandele posted:

Imagine writing all those words....... about Jozy Altidore.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Wait, a "dispossession" is when they have the ball taken off them, not when they take it off someone else? Why would that even be a useful stat? And what the christ is a "turnover"?

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I like that his theory is based entirely on "Suarez scores a lot but also loses the ball quite often" and the other data he includes show that there is no correlation

I've analysed the data and it would appear that Jozy is... poo poo?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Hmm I'm seeing conflicting data that Jozy is poo poo but also is not poo poo. I'm requesting more graphs and charts to get to the bottom of this please

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
graphs don't do him justice, just crunch the numbers yourself and awughhh *eats a shotgun*

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I hate jozy.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I hate jozy.

perhaps you should generate a graph to show your hatred towards jozy over a period of time

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Who ate all the pie charts

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Who ate all the pie charts

Jozy

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Red Star Baldgreg posted:

Hmm I'm seeing conflicting data that Jozy is poo poo but also is not poo poo. I'm requesting more graphs and charts to get to the bottom of this please

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I processed all the data but I think there are some flaws in the study

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

tetsman posted:

I processed all the data but I think there are some flaws in the study

Peaks at 100 poo poo? Should be at least 110, who makes these loving numbers, christ.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Gigi Galli posted:

Peaks at 100 poo poo? Should be at least 110, who makes these loving numbers, christ.

No, but you see, Jozy's relatively LOW disp and turnover rate indicate that blrghblrghbghbgl

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I don't think stats are useful but here's a bunch of stats to prove Jozy isn't as bad as everyone makes out

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Edmund Honda posted:

I've analysed the data and it would appear that Jozy is... poo poo?
Could you make the x-axis show goals/game instead of just goals and also put it on a logarithmic scale to truly emphasize jozy's 1/25?

WangNV
Mar 22, 2001
I'm so lonely
Jozy gets the start today at Anfield.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

I like this one because it looks like fireworks imo

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
That's the worst misuse of stats I've ever seen, the formatting makes my head hurt, it shows absolutely nothing, and most importantly Jozy is poo poo.

CHIVERS
Apr 28, 2004

c'est quand meme la honte

WangNV posted:

Jozy gets the start today at Anfield.

The Return of The Beachball

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jozy will not score today, but he will improve his DZ SiBoT by at least 20 percent, which is more important to all knowledgeable fans of soccer.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

*to the tune of Ludovico Einaudi - Nuvole Bianche*

JOZY SUCKS
JOZY SUCKS
HES poo poo
HES poo poo

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
I hope we get something like this at the end of the season.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Meat Wagon posted:

I hope we get something like this at the end of the season.

Christ, Sunderland have been a gift to the Premier League.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Carrier posted:

*to the tune of Ludovico Einaudi - Nuvole Bianche*

JOZY SUCKS
JOZY SUCKS
HES poo poo
HES poo poo

Beautiful tune OP, peaceful calm and worry free, just like the central defenders going up against Jozy

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Paul McShane was a better player than Jozy.

CHIVERS
Apr 28, 2004

c'est quand meme la honte
To Phil Glass's Koyaanisqatsi

JO-ZY-IS-DOG-poo poo

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

CHIVERS posted:

JO-ZY-IS-DOG-poo poo

this is deep in my wheelhouse i love it

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Is Josmer starting today?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

CHIVERS posted:

JO-ZY-IS-DOG-poo poo

ahahahhaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

CHIVERS posted:

JO-ZY-IS-DOG-poo poo

Someone make this with cut footage of Jozy being poo poo please, please, please, please.

• Locked thread