Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

"Thing--or Ben Grimm--or whatever you call yourself--" Now there is a man who knows what to say to get a guy to want to help him.

So I guess Thing isn't going to start this off by giving Spidey an rear end-kicking. :saddowns:

Your Aunt May, Spidey? So... uh... does Newspaper Thing know about the whole Peter Parker thing?

Ooo! Cool go-kart!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Man that was good.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
She waited until the 25th to tell her that? Also fashion magazines are more than happy to show you how to dress for any month or occasion!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Howard Beale posted:

Nothing says good comic writing like using other artists' copyrighted characters to justify your lovely Boomer-centric revisionism. Eat ten dicks, Gilchrist.

Didn't we JUST have every character in the comics (well, every character created before 1990) showing up for Nancy's "birthday" last year? Are we going to go through all that again? Someone hold me, I'm scared.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Retail

Are you regretting not leaving for Delman's now, Amber? It might not be too late. I mean, I guess Mina's still there but it beats this dump.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Send him off for a vacation warranty repairs. Sounds like he needs it.

Dustin

Dustin's mom is a true hero for taking one for the team and dealing with Ed's pedantry everyday so everyone else doesn't have to.

On the Fastrack

Shouldn't she be a Beetle?

Safe Havens

Maybe she wants to be a mermaid? In her old age she's probably crazy enough to want to live another hundred years.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Dustin's mom is a true hero for taking one for the team and dealing with Ed's pedantry everyday so everyone else doesn't have to.

If you subscribe to the theory that her eyes go to dots when she's tuning him/Dustin out, the strip becomes slightly more palatable.

Mark Trail

Quincy

Office Hours

Buz Sawyer

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

This strip would be way better if Ed wasn't such a chickenshit coward.

Everett True was the mirror that shows a normal whiner he is a clown.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
I just saw this on Feuti's Twitter.

quote:

Norm Feuti ‏@normfeuti Jan 3
FAN PRO TIP: You can tell me that you're sad about GIL being canceled without telling me you think RETAIL sucks.
Dude, if you're reading this I just want you to know I'm sad that Gil was cancelled. Also Retail sucks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr. Squishy posted:

For anyone who came to these threads late, when Lila folded it was revealed that it just wasn't making enough money for the writer to pay the three(?) artists who work on it. On that.
Two, but yeah.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also seeing Medium Large again has me missing the goon that was friends with Mr. Sally Forth, who carried us messages from him.
That always struck me as kind of weird. I got the impression that he was someone who barely knew Marciuliano and just kept hassling him to post in this thread, and Marciuliano basically kept saying "Uh, yeah, sure. I'll do that. One day."

Julet Esqu posted:

Your Aunt May, Spidey? So... uh... does Newspaper Thing know about the whole Peter Parker thing?
This is one of the things that's led me to believe that almost everyone knows Spider-Man's secret identity but just pretends they don't to humour him.

Midnight Moth posted:

I just saw this on Feuti's Twitter.

Norm Feuti posted:

FAN PRO TIP: You can tell me that you're sad about GIL being canceled without telling me you think RETAIL sucks.
You know, if people keep telling him that, you'd think he might consider taking that on-board and making Retail more like Gil.

Blondie

Dagwood is the office manager. Why is he writing a contract?

Hazel

Henry

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

Maybe she wants to be a mermaid? In her old age she's probably crazy enough to want to live another hundred years.
Oh, so all those evil CEOs dumping pollutants directly into the water supply are actually just trying to avoid becoming mermaids werefish due to some backward Twilight Zone cosmic law. As long as the universe of Safe Havens is as internally consistent as that of Kevin & Kell.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hey, if it gets you from A to B.

quote:

Foob

Now I'm curious if "differently abled" was around as a term in the 70s and if it's vintage PC or a modern dialogue edit.

Also

good luck with that, lady.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Get the gently caress out of the funny papers, Gilchrist.

Fingerpori

[WEIGH & SAVE]
- We'd need an electric sign
- Sure! What's the name of your company?
[WEIGH YOU WON'T SAVE]
- That's what the customer said

Punnitse & säästä is an actual company. They sell a variety of nuts, rice, beans, seeds and so on.

In Finnish, verbs are conjugated by person with a suffix: for 2nd singular, the suffix is -t: säästää "to save (money)", säästät "you save". For negations there's a separate auxilliary verb ei which is conjugated instead of the main verb: et säästä "you don't/won't save".

And yeah, & is often pronounced "et", although the Finnish "and" is ja.

Fok_It

Swearing is difficult to translate. Every time it's something more complicated than a "drat", I keep coming up with phrases that are too strong or too mild, too far from the original meaning or too British. Hyi helvetti would have literally been "eww/yuck hell", expressing disgust with a mid-strength expletitive.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

*Olive is the name of Paige's recently deceased Dachshund.

Non Sequitur

Oooops.

Here are two Heavenly Nostrils, looks like we're back on track.

Kliban

<insert>obligatory Liberal Arts major joke here</insert>

:v:

9 Chickweed Lane 3/26/2003

Yes, it's only Wednesday, and this is already stupid.

Zits

Wait... Sarah's a steady girlfriend, if I'm correct. Who else would she go with? I mean, isn't it pretty much a given that your girlfriend would go to the Prom with you, and not someone else?

Kevin & Kell

Frank "Mangle". Christ.

Nemi

Hey, that logic worked just fine in grade school.

Jeeze, tone down the derpage level there in panel two, Nemi!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Darthemed posted:

Calvin And Hobbes

Calvin going all noire is second only to his snowman shenanigans for the best strips ever :allears:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Reminds you that 'phoont' would have worked just as well as a sound effect.

The Creeps makes you wonder if a glass eye can get pink eye.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (January 5, 1927)

Peanuts, in which we find the cure for piranhaism. (March 29, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Back when she had a figure that could be mistaken for a teenage boy. :smuggo:

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Well, he's got enough of a chin to be a contender...

Pogo (March 28, 1956)

Out Our Way (September 5-6, 1924)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Is the difference that the chief has no eyebrows?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tiggum posted:

Is the difference that the chief has no eyebrows?

He has white eyebrows to match the rest of his white hair.

Also I guess he's not all slouchy maybe?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

catlord posted:

"By Zeus"? :crossarms:

You're right, he should have said 'Jupiter.' Val would have been a sub-Roman Celt, and as such would have followed Druid rituals while paying lip service to Roman gods. Teach your Dog Comix a Lesson.

Pooch Café

How DARE you tell me what you think of my work! Ka-Brooke!

Ballard Street

Another household falls to the silent, creeping menace. Does she even realise her part in this twisted comedy, or is she lost forever to the deceit of the dog-called-man?

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 26, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

Well, he's got enough of a chin to be a contender...

I finally figured out what this guy reminds me of, with his constant smarmy grin and huge chin.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
Went a little longer than I expected...

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

:stare: Lady you're about to get raped

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

The harsh reality.

Already, the cracks are showing.

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Meg Classics brings a classic prank to life.

The Middletons is a two-person effort.

Moderately Confused is right next to Minimum Security, and that's the funniest thing it has going for it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I still find it hard to believe that Office Hours isn't a parody of 60's politics, despite all the evidence. It so savagely satirizes itself.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Can't help but hear those "wow" and "perfect" in the most sarcastic tone known to man.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

tiistai posted:

Can't help but hear those "wow" and "perfect" in the most sarcastic tone known to man.

The internet has ruined me, I just imagine them sounding like they're referencing the 'doge' meme.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Mike du Semaine

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also seeing Medium Large again has me missing the goon that was friends with Mr. Sally Forth, who carried us messages from him.

Sup?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Tiggum posted:

You know, if people keep telling him that, you'd think he might consider taking that on-board and making Retail more like Gil.
I actually think Retail would be a lot better if the employees were more like the ones in Dustin and didn't give a poo poo instead of being retail lifers who are overly emotionally invested in their jobs. Basically Dustin does retail better than Retail.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

Wait... Sarah's a steady girlfriend, if I'm correct. Who else would she go with? I mean, isn't it pretty much a given that your girlfriend would go to the Prom with you, and not someone else?
You still have to ask.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

My Lovely Horse posted:

Now I'm curious if "differently abled" was around as a term in the 70s and if it's vintage PC or a modern dialogue edit.

Also

good luck with that, lady.

I checked the Foob archive, and compared it to that day's newspaper. It ran this way on March 27, 1985. It was probably a recently coined term at the time.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Curse of Erratic Posting

I honestly have to say I love the scheming duo of Moomin and Moominmamma.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Besides expecting nothing less than a lie from the shrew, Slylock knows that colds are caused by viruses,not bacteria!

Slylock Fox

As with Shady, FDA enforcement officer Slylock Fox can't actually do anything here as long as Wanda provides the right disclaimers to her miracle tonics. Also, why does Weber's dad get credit for this too? Did he write/draw it?

Moose and Molly

Molly's brother Jack: anti-authoritarian martyr slacker

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 26, 2014

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

"Those darn kids with their pants sagging to the floor!"

"Those darn kids with their pants way too tight!"

No one can win with you, Ed. Face it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (March 8th 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus