Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dr. Video Games 0155 posted:

So I never really played in affairs with the UK, started a game last night as Scottland, created Alba and got to their 500-man Pike Retinue.. are these supposed to be game breaking? I had a 6k stack last night and it just didn't matter who threw what at them they just kept steamrolling through armies double and once triple their size. I had 17k troops + my 6k pike retinue stack and dismantled whatever the HRE threw at me.. is this intentional?

Normally play some manner of German/Norse/Muslim game but finally tried Scottland for the first time and didn't realize they had access to pure 500-pike retinues, just wow.

Schiltron is one of the best retinues, yeah. On top of that, you also have a Schiltron cultural tactic, which not only makes your dudes straight up indestructible in melee, it also turns the into murder machines and does triple (quadruple?) damage against charge tactics (Berserkers, Embolon and CLC).

The downside is that pike do basically no damage in skirmish or pursuit, so they're useless for assaulting and low-morale stacks will just bounce off them.

KittyEmpress posted:

The Scottish Pike retinue is... good, but strange. They have lots of bonuses to defense IIRC? I know during a crusade I managed to park a stack of 8k on a mountain and let a 23k stack smash into it, and came out with only 2-3k dead with them having lost 18k of their stack.

If you can lure opponents into hitting you, they can be one of the top retinues.

Defence stats are tactical defence- you get the same benefit out of it regardless of whether you're attacking or defending. River crossings/defence in rough terrain will turn any near-equal battle into a massacre, though.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

TaurusTorus posted:

So I'm having trouble getting the religious unrest to actually go away. I have a couple provinces that are fully Hindu, ruled by Hindu rulers, and I have my moral authority hovering around 80%. Is there a MTTH that I'm missing? I've been at this a couple years and Its just not going away, I'm sure my elephants must be a foot taller from all the peasant goop permanently stuck to their feet.

It seems to take a rather long time for the resolution event to fire. If you want to fire it yourself, open the console and type in event RoI.3536. You can also fire it for your vassals if you set it up like this: event RoI.3536 [vassal's charid].

If you're playing ironman or don't want to cheat, I guess you'll just have to wait. :shrug:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Something I'd like to see is a greater ability to influence politics in other realms, whether through intrigue or diplomacy.

It would be the most cool if faction politics could be influenced by outside realms; say, for example, I'm the King of France, and a duke in the HRE is running an independence faction. It would be cool to be able to pledge troops to him, or even to join him in a resulting faction war. Ultimately, I want some way to be able to influence whether my enemies are having civil wars, for the purposes of expansion. It can get frustrating playing as Venice, waiting the whole game for an HRE civil war so I can poach some territory that, historically, Venice wound up holding.

To balance it out, the liege could be able to demand diplomatically that an outside realm stop backing a faction, with a denial of the request granting the liege some kind of CB.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

As long as we're talking about bugs, last night I got the constant maiming of guests during a never ending grand tournament bug twice, so I guess that's back now.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Inside Outside posted:

As long as we're talking about bugs, last night I got the constant maiming of guests during a never ending grand tournament bug twice, so I guess that's back now.

love that bug because a never-ending grand tournament which maims thousands of people is absolutely within the bumbling chivalric spirit of the Crusades.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I enjoyed the one time I caught that bug and there were almost no adult males left in Western Europe by the mid 1100s. poo poo got weird.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So as far as expansions go, is this as good as The Old Gods in terms of content/quality?

Orv
May 4, 2011

SkySteak posted:

So as far as expansions go, is this as good as The Old Gods in terms of content/quality?

Yes/no. The content is good, the quality is bugged to hell and back.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah I'm sure once a patch hits it'll be great, I just do not remember The Old Gods having this many problems.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Orv posted:

Yes/no. The content is good, the quality is bugged to hell and back.

No more than any other DLC really its just the religious unrest bug and the tourney stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rumda posted:

No more than any other DLC really its just the religious unrest bug and the tourney stuff.

I mean, in the end it was always kind of shocking the CK2 vanilla ran as well as it did, so they're still coasting on plenty of good will from how well that worked on my end. Grab the DLC, you're going to anyway and you know it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Piell posted:

What the gently caress is going on with Merchant Republics then? Because that's pretty obvious.

I dunno, what is going on with Merchant Republics?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Gottland currently has a trade post in Thrace in my game, in 1080, with no intervening posts between it and the Baltic.

Also, how the gently caress did this happen:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DStecks posted:

Gottland currently has a trade post in Thrace in my game, in 1080, with no intervening posts between it and the Baltic.

I've reminded her to clean up her room FOR THE LAST TIME.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Darkrenown posted:

They put all the trade posts all over the loving place. I made Krete a merchant republic and one of the first places one of the other families put a trade post was in Santiago, Spain.

Another dude's map

Something is clearly messed up with the distance mechanics.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Are those new bugs happening only to people who got the last expansion or they were patched in to everyone?

I wanted to go back to CK2, but it seems like it would be better to go play EU4 some more while paradox sorts all this mess.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DStecks posted:

There's some event where your kid climbs a tower, once of the choices is to push them off. Not sure if it sets the cause of death to executed, but it might be that.

Piell posted:

They put all the trade posts all over the loving place. I made Krete a merchant republic and one of the first places one of the other families put a trade post was in Santiago, Spain.

Another dude's map

Something is clearly messed up with the distance mechanics.

Weird. How far in were you? The latest save I have of last game I was playing before release looks like this:

So I would assume someone broke the AI checking range (or can the player do it too?) at the last moment somehow. I'll check if it's known about tomorrow.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Are those new bugs happening only to people who got the last expansion or they were patched in to everyone?

I wanted to go back to CK2, but it seems like it would be better to go play EU4 some more while paradox sorts all this mess.

You can still play the previous version via the Steam beta menu, but while dumb, republics having range issues won't affect you unless you play a republic.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 26, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Darkrenown posted:

Weird. How far in were you? The latest save I have of last game I was playing before release looks like this:

So I would assume someone broke the AI checking range (or can the player do it too?) at the last moment somehow. I'll check if it's known about tomorrow.

I've done a few years in on three different games, just checking stuff out, and all the republics do it every time with their starting trade posts. Lanka as a republic put one in Mecca.

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 26, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

de_dust posted:

Hmmm, I guess they finally nerfed NK mode. drat. :(

It's only a -90% modifier to all levies outside your capital county. So if you have something like Paris as your capital, you can still raise a couple thousand troops. It also takes a little bit to kick in, because when I succeeded in a prepared invasion of France as the Duke of Brittany, I was able to raise 35k troops until the end of the month. Oh, and it also doesn't apply to retinues, which are your main army long term anyway.

Still viable, but not as much of an instant-win option as before. You need a very strong capital, and all your money needs to go into increasing the number of troops you get from it.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

de_dust posted:

Hmmm, I guess they finally nerfed NK mode. drat. :(

Why would you be sad about this? It's not like you can't still cheat if that's what you really want to do.

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
Is the caste of the child determined by the mother or do they always go to the parent of the lowest caste?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Piell posted:

What the gently caress is going on with Merchant Republics then? Because that's pretty obvious.
It's more like

"Hey, so here's the list of outstanding bugs:
  • Equal opportunity tumbling now makes males pregnant.
  • Merchant republics can build trade posts just about anywhere.
  • India is constantly revolting.
  • Muslims aren't selectable in the new game screen.

It'll take us a week to fix each issue and we have a week until release - which one do we pick?"

And then the other issues get addressed in patches and hotfixes after release. Not ideal, but as a software developer I can tell you that our schedules are really volatile because it's very hard to predict average bug workload unless you're a huge team working on a huge project. I just watched one of our designers chew out a developer for being 3 days late on delivering some milestone, and thought to myself "Seriously? Our billing pipeline went down last week and I lost three days just to fixing that. You can't predict that poo poo."

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Dibujante posted:

It's more like

[*]Equal opportunity tumbling now makes males pregnant.

Wait what?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I think the only real bug with Indian religions is that they should all start with a baseline of 50% moral authority, so that even if you do absolutely nothing you won't hit that 40% mark. One of their dev diaries specifically said that they want them to be fairly quiet and passive, which the penalties for expanding encourage. Unfortunately they are also massively penalized for not expanding immediately at game start, which seems to be an overlooked thing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Orv posted:

I enjoyed the one time I caught that bug and there were almost no adult males left in Western Europe by the mid 1100s. poo poo got weird.

Today you turn sixteen. Today you enter... The Tournament. :black101:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Today you turn sixteen. Today you enter... The Tournament. :black101:

Imagine fighting in a tournament for 50 years and coming in 4th place.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

SkySteak posted:

Wait what?

You ever see the movie "Junior"?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

SeaTard posted:

I think the only real bug with Indian religions is that they should all start with a baseline of 50% moral authority, so that even if you do absolutely nothing you won't hit that 40% mark. One of their dev diaries specifically said that they want them to be fairly quiet and passive, which the penalties for expanding encourage. Unfortunately they are also massively penalized for not expanding immediately at game start, which seems to be an overlooked thing.

Yeah, my suggestion was that they should only take half the penalty for not controlling their holy sites if another Indian religion controls them, so they don't need to worry too much unless the Muslims or someone other outside religion (Norse! :argh:) starts taking them.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
So, the monthly autosave (when iron manning, at least) seems to pop up the pause menu now rather than just saving the game.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

SkySteak posted:

Wait what?

You can now have a same-sex lover, but it can still trigger the heterosexual lover events, such as where someone gets pregnant.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Should I assume that the tech bonus to horse archers applies to elephants and camels? Or do those units start out strong and become weaker over time?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

One of the kings of the Cedi dynasty of India is shown to have died at 159.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Viscardus posted:

Why would you be sad about this? It's not like you can't still cheat if that's what you really want to do.

It depends what's actually been done, which everyone's actually been quiet on in terms of actual details.

My only concern is what happens in terms of the one-county start(Yes, think Ireland), where your best move is taking the holdings under you, and proceeding with the new armies to deal with other one-counties as chance permits.

Is this 'North Korea'? As I understand it, yes. You are holding the entire county yourself rather than using vassals, and eating the penalty for that, so it counts.
Is this 'broken'? I can't say.
Is it more fun that waiting for money for mercenary+payment money, or using your single castle vs his single castle? To me, yes.

So I ask: What has been done with regards to it?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 26, 2014

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Can someone tell me/ point me to somewhere that explains how to mod a trait to let anybody (i.e. ladies) command armies? I don't wanna have it be a global thing and I am really terrible at modding.

so I'm figuring it's something in this part of job_titles.txt

and have tried a few things with results varying from "nothing happens" to "disastrous" (such as with what I did there, which apparently means nobody at all in the entire world can command armies).

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Is it possible to boost the moral authority of Jainism in any way besides building temples, controlling the holy places and converting counties/rulers by event? I'm stuck at 70 now, and to get the authority needed to lose the religious unrest modifiers I guess I just have to save up enough money to build 5 temples.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Koramei posted:

Can someone tell me/ point me to somewhere that explains how to mod a trait to let anybody (i.e. ladies) command armies? I don't wanna have it be a global thing and I am really terrible at modding.

and have tried a few things with results varying from "nothing happens" to "disastrous" (such as with what I did there, which apparently means nobody at all in the entire world can command armies).

You want "has_trait", not "trait".

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Bloodly posted:

My only concern is what happens in terms of the one-county start(Yes, think Ireland), where your best move is taking the holdings under you, and proceeding with the new armies to deal with other one-counties as chance permits.

This presumably would not involve going over your demesne limit, though, which is the exploit that we're talking about. At worst you would have wrong-holding penalties on the non-castle baronies.

I still think that's gamey, by the way, but it has nothing to do with "North Korea Mode".

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Koramei posted:

Here's the real problem: "has_trait = coolbro" is the only line in that OR block, which is inside an AND block; thus, nobody can be marshall unless they have the coolbro trait or the special_marshall flag. CKII scripting conditions are a bit tricky to get used to, don't worry.

You want to re-write it like this:

code:
allow = {
    OR = {
        AND = {
            OR = {
                is_female = no
                AND = {
                    religion = cathar
                    liege = { religion = cathar}
                }
                trait = coolbro
            }
 etc.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
Anyone else having a weird bug where you are no longer able to marry anyone? The game is screaming at me to marry some guys, but the option is not appearing anywhere at all.

EDIT: Apparently I couldn't do it because I was in a regency or something, because it started working once I came of age. :psyduck:

THE LESBIATHAN fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I've conquered Ireland multiple times without having to go into "North Korea" mode.

• Locked thread