Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Help Im Alive posted:

If you like Fire Emblem you'll probably like Advance Wars. AW is so much more difficult though. Back when it first came out, it took me months to beat both campaigns. (But I guess save states will make it a lot easier if you decide to use them)

I'm going to highly disagree that AW is more difficult than FE. It's a different kind of difficult, and from what I understand Advance Wars' hard campaign is a bitch and a half, but on the whole, Fire Emblem gets way more of IntSys's personal bullshit touch.

Of course, if we're talking about Awakening specifically, you're probably right. Awakening is one of, if not the easiest FE game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Kurtofan posted:

Advance Wars is really tempting, savestates are a big feature for me since I sucked so much at it back in the day :ohdear:

You do realize that you can save at any time in Advance Wars already anyway, right?

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Advance Wars is my second-most played GBA game, right after Pokemon Sapphire. It's an incredibly addictive game with a great aesthetic and lots of charm, if you haven't played it and are on the fence about it please give it a try.

Getting off my soap box, that's a pretty good starting line-up of GBA games, I want them all. $8 isn't too bad for the price either, I just wish it didn't take so long to get these out. But hey they're here now!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You do realize that you can save at any time in Advance Wars already anyway, right?

I'm guessing it's a "save and quit" type of thing? Haven't played since the year of release. You can't save scum, is what I mean.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Still pisses me off that Nintendo decided to release the gba games on the Wii U and not on the system that would make sense for portable gaming, 3DS.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bpc908 posted:

Still pisses me off that Nintendo decided to release the gba games on the Wii U and not on the system that would make sense for portable gaming, 3DS.

They did.

Just as Ambassador bonuses which they explicitly stated wouldn't be available for purchase afterwards.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The rng is pretty manipulable in Advance Wars too, because the wary the arrow for movement looks is generated from the rng seed. So you can keep wriggling that around until you get the result from a battle you want with savescumming.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Artix posted:

I'm going to highly disagree that AW is more difficult than FE. It's a different kind of difficult, and from what I understand Advance Wars' hard campaign is a bitch and a half, but on the whole, Fire Emblem gets way more of IntSys's personal bullshit touch.

Of course, if we're talking about Awakening specifically, you're probably right. Awakening is one of, if not the easiest FE game.

I never got around to finishing Awakening but I've beaten the two GBA ones and Radiant Dawn. (I want to play Path of Radiance too but it's super expensive these days) I don't know, I guess it's just that AW's type of strategy where you have to manage your funds, decide which units to buy etc gives me more trouble than FE. You're right that they're different types of difficult, I guess Fire Emblem just melds better with me.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

bpc908 posted:

Remember when they said the 3DS Virtual Console would focus on handheld titles, like Game Boy and Game Gear and selectively Game Boy Advance (and NES...), and the Wii U Virtual Console would have the home console libraries with NES/SNES games? Now instead it's like "Hey, you know that thing people really want for the 3DS, GBA and DS games - let's put them on the Wii U because that'll make it sell [instead of killing off interest even further]".

Meanwhile I can switch on my Vita and play like half the PSP's library and a huge chunk of titles from the PS Store. :crossarms:

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
I hate to be negative, but this announcement is kinda numbed by:

1) The prices for these titles will probably remain high and sales few
2) Why did it take so long?
3) Who knows when the next batch is coming? Their release schedule still is garbage.
4) What of the missing NES/Super NES VC titles? Who knows if we'll ever get N64?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The GBA games for 3DS Ambassadors had no color issues that I can remember. It's dumb that owners will probably never get a practical upgrade, and I hope they're not refusing to release them on 3DS just to keep ambassadors happy.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Chronojam posted:

The GBA games for 3DS Ambassadors had no color issues that I can remember. It's dumb that owners will probably never get a practical upgrade, and I hope they're not refusing to release them on 3DS just to keep ambassadors happy.

Which is weird considering that if the asking price per game is 8 bucks without tax, then ambassadors got a package of over 80 dollars in free games, and the GBA ones were amazing (Would have prefered the original NA Fire Emblem over Stones but it's still nice to have). Plus we've had them for Years over everyone else so that's a definite bragging right.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If the pre-Wii U 3DS VC hadn't been as sparse as the post-Wii U 3DS VC I'd almost suspect that Nintendo is deliberately making the 3DS VC crappier in hopes of driving Wii U sales.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

StevenM posted:

Remember when they said the 3DS Virtual Console would focus on handheld titles, like Game Boy and Game Gear and selectively Game Boy Advance (and NES...), and the Wii U Virtual Console would have the home console libraries with NES/SNES games? Now instead it's like "Hey, you know that thing people really want for the 3DS, GBA and DS games - let's put them on the Wii U because that'll make it sell [instead of killing off interest even further]".

Meanwhile I can switch on my Vita and play like half the PSP's library and a huge chunk of titles from the PS Store. :crossarms:

No, because they never said that. GBA games for WiiU were announced ages ago.

Someone please put something in the OP about why there aren't snes/GBA/whatever games on 3DS so people shut up about it!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The original DS had all the hardware to play GBA games. Since the 3DS is maintaining that backwards compatibility, I wouldn't be surprised if the ambassador games are just using the legacy GBA hardware to run. It would explain why there are no savestates, native resolution, or menu access.

E: Also, they are experimenting with making DSi Ware downloadable versions of DS games if the Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Japanese Club Nintendo reward is anything to go by

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 26, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Kurtofan posted:

I'm guessing it's a "save and quit" type of thing? Haven't played since the year of release. You can't save scum, is what I mean.

Yes you can, that's my point. Loading a save doesn't delete it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Dehry posted:

The original DS had all the hardware to play GBA games. Since the 3DS is maintaining that backwards compatibility, I wouldn't be surprised if the ambassador games are just using the legacy GBA hardware to run. It would explain why there are no savestates, native resolution, or menu access.

E: Also, they are experimenting with making DSi Ware downloadable versions of DS games if the Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Japanese Club Nintendo reward is anything to go by

Wait, is the GBA hardware really still basically built into the 3DS? Wouldn't surprise me but I thought they took out the GBA hardware on the DSi. Maybe that was just the cartridge slot?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Monkey Fracas posted:

Wait, is the GBA hardware really still basically built into the 3DS?

It isn't.

People need to understand that just because the DS had a GBA cartridge slot doesn't mean the 3DS can easily emulate the GBA as a whole.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I know I've read somewhere by a reputable source that the 3DS does the ambassador GBA titles by effectively switching the firmware into GBA mode and re-routing cartridge access to RAM, but I can't find it at the moment.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That sounds more like the relationship between the Wii U and Gamecube.

In order for it to be true of GBA -> 3DS, the GBA hardware would have to be wholly a subset of the DS hardware, AND the DS hardware would have to be wholly a subset of the 3DS hardware.

Nintendo's been doing their last few consoles that way, but I don't think the same is true for their handhelds.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I know I've read somewhere by a reputable source that the 3DS does the ambassador GBA titles by effectively switching the firmware into GBA mode and re-routing cartridge access to RAM, but I can't find it at the moment.
This is the case. Its not as easy as going into "super secret GBA mode" or whatever people believe, but the games are running on bare metal with a compatibility layer that traps hardware accesses when necessary.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
If they can get the games working on Wii U then I'm pretty sure they can get them work on 3DS.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If a normal Wii is broken is there any way to transfer to downloaded game content licenses to a Wii U? (I'm assuming the answer is no but wanted to check anyway.)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Spacebump posted:

If a normal Wii is broken is there any way to transfer to downloaded game content licenses to a Wii U? (I'm assuming the answer is no but wanted to check anyway.)

Not generally. The process is a bit of a pain in the rear end but if you can somehow will the Wii into working properly for like a half-hour you could do it.

You need a 512 meg or larger SD card. In regular Wii mode on the Wii-U is a transfer tool you have to format the card with (it's encrypted to that specific Wii-U so the transfer will only work with it). You'll need internet.

You then have to run the transfer tool on the regular Wii (which you have to download from the shop, I think it requires the Wii to be updated to 4.3 or 4.4). For best results you should delete as many of the games themselves as you can (it will still transfer the licenses, you'll just have to re-download them). You'll need internet. Once this is done you no longer need the old Wii.

Re-run the transfer tool on the Wii-U and it should accept the SD card and pull all your licenses.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's always the "Call Nintendo" option. They're actually quite good about transferring licenses, although since there are no Wii cloud saves like on Xbox or Playstation, all progress is lost.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

If they can get the games working on Wii U then I'm pretty sure they can get them work on 3DS.

You clearly know nothing about how hardware works!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I never got around to finishing Awakening but I've beaten the two GBA ones and Radiant Dawn. (I want to play Path of Radiance too but it's super expensive these days) I don't know, I guess it's just that AW's type of strategy where you have to manage your funds, decide which units to buy etc gives me more trouble than FE. You're right that they're different types of difficult, I guess Fire Emblem just melds better with me.

Yeah I agree with you. Fire Emblem gives you set units and while you get to pick and choose who to use, within the individual maps the game is entirely based around using the units that you've brought with you and figuring out how to get them through alive. I really like that kind of gameplay.

Advance Wars on the other hand, after the first few levels, starts just giving you a base and having you build your own units. So you have to figure out what you're going to need and how to manage your resources on each turn. Now that's an interesting and probably deep type of gameplay, but it's one that I personally find very difficult and don't enjoy.

So while the games have lots of similarities I don't think it's as simple as saying if you like one series you'll definitely like the other.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo doesn't care about emulation accuracy though. It's not like the original Wii is powerful enough to handle a 100% accurate N64 emulator. It has hacks and tweaks like any other N64 emulator.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 26, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dehry posted:

There's always the "Call Nintendo" option. They're actually quite good about transferring licenses, although since there are no Wii cloud saves like on Xbox or Playstation, all progress is lost.

Pretty much every story I've ever heard involving broken Wii's required paying $80 to repair/refurb it, even if all the person wanted was to get the licenses to their Wii-U. Has that changed?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

putting all the GBA poo poo on Wii-u is mostly happening because the Wii-U doesn't have gently caress-all. Putting the GBA poo poo on 3DS would only stomp the wii-u's grave deeper.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think the VC really has the power to doom or rescue a console on its own. I like the service and I want to see a better schedule of releases for it, but I don't think it's something that powerfully attracts or repels people who don't already own the device in question.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I'm really excited about finally getting to play Yoshi's Island on the Wii U. I assume the GBA version doesn't have the multiplayer mini game from the SNES version, correct?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3DS dudes, Sega is finally starting to add their retail backlog to the eShop, starting with Super Monkey Ball 3D next week.

Spacebump posted:

I'm really excited about finally getting to play Yoshi's Island on the Wii U. I assume the GBA version doesn't have the multiplayer mini game from the SNES version, correct?

I don't think so, but they weren't really a big deal to begin with. I don't think you could even play them without inputting a secret code, could you?

EDIT: it does come with Mario Bros, though.

EDIT EDIT: it doesn't matter either way because I don't think any of the GBA VC games are gonna have multiplayer support.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 27, 2014

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

I put hours into that game as a kid (so did my mom and my grandma) and I didn't even know this was a thing.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
With what Iwata has said about the Nintendo Network being used on future Nintendo systems, and the next console and handheld having a unified ecosystem, there's a pretty strong assurance that purchasing these GBA titles on Wii U will mean they can be redeemed on the next handheld anyway.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think so, but they weren't really a big deal to begin with. I don't think you could even play them without inputting a secret code, could you?

You're correct, the mini battles did require a code.

Medium Cool posted:

I put hours into that game as a kid (so did my mom and my grandma) and I didn't even know this was a thing.

Growing up I only played Yoshi's Island at a friend's house. A lot of the time we ended up playing that mini game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

With what Iwata has said about the Nintendo Network being used on future Nintendo systems, and the next console and handheld having a unified ecosystem, there's a pretty strong assurance that purchasing these GBA titles on Wii U will mean they can be redeemed on the next handheld anyway.
They can't be redeemed on other Wii U consoles so I don't know why you assume that. You can't even cross-buy games that are on both Wii U and 3DS. Gotta buy both versions at full price.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Surely years of disappointment and bewilderment should have taught people to stop assuming anything about Nintendo.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I wouldn't say this with any confidence until cross-platform purchases are possible for the VC games that are available on both their current systems.

I do figure ownership will continue to carry forward like with Wii->Wii U, and I hope Iwata's remarks indicate a better cross-platform approach in the future, but it's all kind of shaky to assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nintendo doesn't care about emulation accuracy though. It's not like the original Wii is powerful enough to handle a 100% accurate N64 emulator. It has hacks and tweaks like any other N64 emulator.

Nintendo will not release an emulation that is anything less than 100% accurate. That's why it takes forever for poo poo to come out. They don't build one emulator and copy/paste roms into it, they build an individual emulator for each game in order to make sure it is 100% accurate. That's the type of company Nintendo is.