Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Is this a good deal? I'm thinking it might be a solid use of my tax return.

http://morgantown.craigslist.org/pho/4373137147.html

That looks like a pretty good deal if everything is in even remotely decent shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Funny we should end up talking about the various 135s - I've borrowed a 135L f/2.0 for the weekend. It goes on my 7D, and I'm going to take it to my niece's baptism. What else should I do while I have it (except fondle it lots.)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Get the lens baptized. It's waterproof, right?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

bolind posted:

Funny we should end up talking about the various 135s - I've borrowed a 135L f/2.0 for the weekend. It goes on my 7D, and I'm going to take it to my niece's baptism. What else should I do while I have it (except fondle it lots.)

Start/add to your collection of dick pics using every L lens available.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

rio posted:

Start/add to your collection of dick pics using every L lens available.

Mine looks huge on the 14/2.8

Edit: 1200/5.6 not so flattering :(

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 20, 2014

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
85mm 1.2 for distortion free dick and LITERAL bokeh balls

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Seamonster posted:

85mm 1.2 for distortion free dick and LITERAL bokeh balls

Well played. Creamy bokeh balls.

Perhaps an odd question regarding that masterpiece of a lens: Does anyone else hate the focusing ring being almost as loose as a Pole Position steering wheel? I'm about ready to slap a rubber band around it to stop it altogether; I already disabled full time manual override via custom function, so it doesn't actually do anything but annoy me when it turns.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Mine feels just right. The Internet suggests the resistance can be pretty variable. If it's really that loose, it can probably be serviced to tighten it again.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Bubbacub posted:

Mine feels just right. The Internet suggests the resistance can be pretty variable. If it's really that loose, it can probably be serviced to tighten it again.

I'll have to check that out. Barely touching it gets it to move.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mclifford82 posted:

Barely touching it gets it to move.

Story of my life.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

mclifford82 posted:

Perhaps an odd question regarding that masterpiece of a lens: Does anyone else hate the focusing ring being almost as loose as a Pole Position steering wheel? I'm about ready to slap a rubber band around it to stop it altogether; I already disabled full time manual override via custom function, so it doesn't actually do anything but annoy me when it turns.
My focusing ring makes the lens feel even more expensive. Which is a good thing.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So. After arguing and research. My 70D is finally on the way over here.

Now it's time to sell my t4i

Now for anyone shipping to a APO let me impart the following advice. While most of the time you can ship lithium batteries inside the machine (camera, laptop, phones excluded) and not get caught, the official way, via USPS, to ship lithium batteries is wrapped or packages separately from the camera or whatever. It needs to be shipped in the same package, but the lithium battery needs a home for itself.

Also, no loving companies will ship lithium batteries overseas at all. Which is stupid because the lithium ban was lifted a while ago, yet the reason I was told BH couldn't ship my package was because they cannot modify the contents and therefore, legally, cannot ship the package.

I can't wait to be back in the states sometimes.

JacobRyan
Feb 28, 2012
I have a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, purchased back in 2010 so it's out of warranty, I lent it to what I thought was a trustworthy friend (yeah I'm a dumbass but her being a "real photographer" and me being a putz with a fancier than average camera I thought it'd be okay) and when I received it back the autofocus no longer works. Upon further investigation and the interrogation of my friend, they admitted to placing the lens in the same compartment that held an "empty" bottle that had milk in it. My question to you fine folks since I'm on my own for this repair, since said friend is being a douche and refusing to help fund the repair and I need/want this lens in working order. Would you ship it to Canon for this repair which I believe the repair estimate was about $130 or do you think a local reputable shop could handle it as well? If local, I live in Metro-Detroit so any local shops you could recommend that you know that handle repairs well would be greatly appreciated.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

JacobRyan posted:

I have a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, purchased back in 2010 so it's out of warranty, I lent it to what I thought was a trustworthy friend (yeah I'm a dumbass but her being a "real photographer" and me being a putz with a fancier than average camera I thought it'd be okay) and when I received it back the autofocus no longer works. Upon further investigation and the interrogation of my friend, they admitted to placing the lens in the same compartment that held an "empty" bottle that had milk in it. My question to you fine folks since I'm on my own for this repair, since said friend is being a douche and refusing to help fund the repair and I need/want this lens in working order. Would you ship it to Canon for this repair which I believe the repair estimate was about $130 or do you think a local reputable shop could handle it as well? If local, I live in Metro-Detroit so any local shops you could recommend that you know that handle repairs well would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure it's your friend's fault? I've stayed far away from that particular lens because there are plenty of reviews out there where the AF either just stops working or works very intermittently (and even when it works as advertised, I've heard it's not the best anyway). I'm not saying this is the case, but I've been following this lens and these comments for a while.

This review, coupled with supporting comments, are what keeps me from investing in it: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1LC9HTN344H7X/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00009XVCZ&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

JacobRyan
Feb 28, 2012

mclifford82 posted:

Are you sure it's your friend's fault? I've stayed far away from that particular lens because there are plenty of reviews out there where the AF either just stops working or works very intermittently (and even when it works as advertised, I've heard it's not the best anyway). I'm not saying this is the case, but I've been following this lens and these comments for a while.

This review, coupled with supporting comments, are what keeps me from investing in it: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1LC9HTN344H7X/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00009XVCZ&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

You may be right but I was using it without issue for almost 4 years, and it was in their possession for 2 weeks and came back with the issue. Mainly that anecdote was to ensure that you don't think I'm a complete idiot, though it was fairly stupid to lend it out. Regardless, would a local shop just charge me and then send it off to Canon? Also, is there other online repair labs that may be a better/faster/cheaper alternative to Canon's online repair? I appreciate the response and info. I'll have to see what they when they do the repair and if they can pinpoint it to the liquid or if its' just this natural occurring issue.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

JacobRyan posted:

You may be right but I was using it without issue for almost 4 years, and it was in their possession for 2 weeks and came back with the issue. Mainly that anecdote was to ensure that you don't think I'm a complete idiot, though it was fairly stupid to lend it out. Regardless, would a local shop just charge me and then send it off to Canon? Also, is there other online repair labs that may be a better/faster/cheaper alternative to Canon's online repair? I appreciate the response and info. I'll have to see what they when they do the repair and if they can pinpoint it to the liquid or if its' just this natural occurring issue.

I've yet to have an issue with a lens that required sending it in so I'm afraid I can't help you there. I'm sure someone will weigh in and drop some knowledge soon enough. Best of luck!

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
I've had good luck using a local camera shop for lens and body repairs (Sacramento, CA https://www.camrepair.com). As long as they're certified (or something) it might be worth checking out.

I knew to find this place by word of mouth of other photographers though, otherwise I'd be less inclined to trust a place. They've done all work inhouse and are usually half of what Canon would have charged for the same thing.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

mclifford82 posted:

I don't have this lens myself, but I've heard the AF mechanism is susceptible to damage if you put it away with the lens in the extended position. That's something I might not have been careful about, and I'm gentle with my gear.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bubbacub posted:

I don't have this lens myself, but I've heard the AF mechanism is susceptible to damage if you put it away with the lens in the extended position. That's something I might not have been careful about, and I'm gentle with my gear.

Yeah the AF mechanism in this lens is flimsy. It breaks often and needs replacement unfortunately - making sure its retracted so that nothing shoves it back in while in a bag is key.

I would just send it to Canon, they do a bang up job, and have very fast turnaround.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

JacobRyan posted:

Upon further investigation and the interrogation of my friend, they admitted to placing the lens in the same compartment that held an "empty" bottle that had milk in it. My question to you fine folks since I'm on my own for this repair, since said friend is being a douche and refusing to help fund the repair
Get other friends.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

JacobRyan posted:

I've owned two copies of the Canon EF 50 F/1.4 and the ONLY time the AF has ever had any issue on either copy was when I dropped my first copy from knee height onto a cement floor and the AF was offset. Canon charged me ~$110 at the time (Feb 2009 I think) to clean the lens elements and re-calibrate the focus. I have the OEM hood for the lens and keep it reversed on the lens and the focus dialed to infinity when not in use.

The base estimate they give you is just the cost of opening it up and seeing what's wrong and possibly fixing a few minor things. If the circuitry for the AF did, in fact, get doused in milk then you might be looking at a higher cost for repair.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Not the same lens, but I've noticed that my 50mm 1.8 has a hell of a time focusing, lots of short stop and go motion even with just one AF point in the center. Is it something about this lens, or what? I like the pictures it takes, but it doesn't lend itself to spontaneity.

JacobRyan
Feb 28, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Get other friends.

Will you be my friend?!?! For real though, you're right.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll just send it to Canon then, or I could just stop being a wimp and manual focus everything. I don't really shoot anything that requires on the fly focusing, it's more so a laziness/convenience factor.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

JacobRyan posted:

Thanks for all the replies. I'll just send it to Canon then, or I could just stop being a wimp and manual focus everything. I don't really shoot anything that requires on the fly focusing, it's more so a laziness/convenience factor.

I'll be your friend. Full disclosure. I'm king human being of GiP. So I might rub off on you or rub one off on you while you're sleeping.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Not the same lens, but I've noticed that my 50mm 1.8 has a hell of a time focusing, lots of short stop and go motion even with just one AF point in the center. Is it something about this lens, or what? I like the pictures it takes, but it doesn't lend itself to spontaneity.

the thrifty fifty is great for the cost but it's AF is definitely a weak point. It'll hunt around in low light a LOT, and I think it'll hunt around with the aperture more wide open. It sucks, but it's a fact of living with it.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

harperdc posted:

the thrifty fifty is great for the cost but it's AF is definitely a weak point. It'll hunt around in low light a LOT, and I think it'll hunt around with the aperture more wide open. It sucks, but it's a fact of living with it.

How much of the focussing problems are down to the camera too, though? I have a T3i and it's not great at focussing in a lot of situations, but I'd think that a 7D would handle it all better.

Anyway, I got the Sigma 18-35 and use it on my T3i and it's amazing, though the T3i does have problems focussing it at 18mm sometimes but I think that might be down to trying to use the AF on really small things. If Canon releases a 7D mk2, or any APS-C camera with 4K video and decent AF I'm so down. I suspect I'd like the 70D, it's nicer to hold than the T3i which is too small, but I'd much rather pay twice as much to fulfil my video requirements. I guess the first company to sell me an APS-C/S35 GH4 equivalent will get my money, and I suspect it'll be Sony.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

JacobRyan posted:

I had that lens and the AF completely failed after being dropped approx 6 inches onto a carpeted floor. In a padded camera bag.

Canon quoted a repair cost of about 50% the cost of a new one.

I bought the 1.8 instead and sold the 1.4 on ebay for a surprisingly good price.

JacobRyan
Feb 28, 2012

IanTheM posted:

How much of the focussing problems are down to the camera too, though? I have a T3i and it's not great at focussing in a lot of situations, but I'd think that a 7D would handle it all better.

Anyway, I got the Sigma 18-35 and use it on my T3i and it's amazing, though the T3i does have problems focussing it at 18mm sometimes but I think that might be down to trying to use the AF on really small things. If Canon releases a 7D mk2, or any APS-C camera with 4K video and decent AF I'm so down. I suspect I'd like the 70D, it's nicer to hold than the T3i which is too small, but I'd much rather pay twice as much to fulfil my video requirements. I guess the first company to sell me an APS-C/S35 GH4 equivalent will get my money, and I suspect it'll be Sony.

I've been running a Canon Rebel XT for gosh 7 years now, and I've been wanting a 7D for quite sometime. It's hard for me to justify when I don't really do anything in the way of video like you do. I refuse to go for anything that's non-CF as well so a T3i or T4i just isn't plausible, I'm just blindly loyal to Compact Flash.

Spog, even with AF failing you were still able to sell it for a decent price? I might look into that and do as you did and pick up a 1.8. At the cost of the 1.8 I'd title it almost a "throw away" if it fails and just buy another.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

JacobRyan posted:

Spog, even with AF failing you were still able to sell it for a decent price?

Its weird but you can get more than you think selling "For parts or repair" on ebay. I think a lot of the buyers are local repair shops that have the means to fix the gear or they strip the parts because its cheaper than buying replacement parts from Canon. Its especially true for out of service equipment that Canon doesn't make spare parts for anymore. When my 5D's shutter went out, I ebayed it for like 70% of market.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

JacobRyan posted:

Spog, even with AF failing you were still able to sell it for a decent price? I might look into that and do as you did and pick up a 1.8. At the cost of the 1.8 I'd title it almost a "throw away" if it fails and just buy another.

I honestly forget how much I got for it and it has disappeared off my ebay history, but I want to say £159. It was definitely more than I expected for a busted lens and more than enough for the 1.8 and a slap up dinner at Mrs Miggins' Pie Shoppe.

Working ones go for £200.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Its weird but you can get more than you think selling "For parts or repair" on ebay. I think a lot of the buyers are local repair shops that have the means to fix the gear or they strip the parts because its cheaper than buying replacement parts from Canon. Its especially true for out of service equipment that Canon doesn't make spare parts for anymore. When my 5D's shutter went out, I ebayed it for like 70% of market.

I guess that makes sense. I'd assumed that the guy thought he could fix it, but I remember that he sold a lot of camera stuff too, so perhaps he was going to strip it down for parts.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

JacobRyan posted:

I've been running a Canon Rebel XT for gosh 7 years now, and I've been wanting a 7D for quite sometime. It's hard for me to justify when I don't really do anything in the way of video like you do. I refuse to go for anything that's non-CF as well so a T3i or T4i just isn't plausible, I'm just blindly loyal to Compact Flash.

I'm not sure there's much of a reason to if you've got a Rebel XT and not, say, a pro-level amount of old 1D or 5DC gear. I went from XT to 60D a couple years ago and it's suuuuuuuch a good, big improvement. I can't imagine how good a 7D would be from there. Who cares if you don't do video, if it's in your price range it will take a LOT better photos, of that much I am very certain. And even if you don't do any serious video, it's still nice to get even full auto video on a real camera from time to time versus a cell phone or smaller point and shoot.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

JacobRyan posted:

I've been running a Canon Rebel XT for gosh 7 years now, and I've been wanting a 7D for quite sometime.

The XT is a 9 year old camera and the 7D is coming up on 5 years old. The 7D is light-years ahead in terms of performance and features. You'll get more keepers with your existing lens lineup using a 7D than with the XT.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos350d&products=canon_eos7d

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Is the 7D the same size as the 5D3? Or more like a 6D? I can't remember, but for me a 6D is the ideal DSLR camera size.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
CF is an oddly stupid corner to shoehorn yourself into when it comes to digital photography.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

IanTheM posted:

Is the 7D the same size as the 5D3? Or more like a 6D? I can't remember, but for me a 6D is the ideal DSLR camera size.

The 7D is closer in size to the 6D

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

CF is an oddly stupid corner to shoehorn yourself into when it comes to digital photography.

Plus a newer camera's files are probably big enough to render decade old CF cards obsolete anyway.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Whirlwind Jones posted:

No it's not. SD cards cannot keep up when you are shooting RAW files at any useful FPS

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

harperdc posted:

I'm not sure there's much of a reason to if you've got a Rebel XT and not, say, a pro-level amount of old 1D or 5DC gear. I went from XT to 60D a couple years ago and it's suuuuuuuch a good, big improvement. I can't imagine how good a 7D would be from there. Who cares if you don't do video, if it's in your price range it will take a LOT better photos, of that much I am very certain. And even if you don't do any serious video, it's still nice to get even full auto video on a real camera from time to time versus a cell phone or smaller point and shoot.

Speaking of 60Ds, I have one for sale right here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3619018

JacobRyan
Feb 28, 2012
Yeah I bought the XT when I was fresh out of high school, with a Circuit City credit card when I was building credit so I didn't have a ridiculously high credit limit. Once I finish paying off the windows and HVAC work we had done to the house I'll probably invest in a 7D. Sell off the XT for whatever I can get it, or maybe donate it to some poor photography college student at my old college I went to for Graphic Design.

I can see where some people think I'm box myself in limiting myself to only shooting with a CF card but I had a T2i for a short time (before returning it for the following reason) and wanted to do my head in waiting for the RAW files to write to the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I have a 7D I bought shortly after release and have used the hell out of it (the labels on the buttons are almost wiped off), but I feel like for most applications where I'm shooting at a high speed (college basketball/football), I'm shooting in JPG just to save space everywhere. Granted, there's lot of other stuff people shoot where they want RAWs at high speeds.

The biggest CF hassle is not having Eye-Fi-type functionality, especially when on long trips where I don't have much or any access to RAW-handling computers for my travel photography. If I wasn't 5 years of heavy use into this body, I'd consider buying a solution like a wifi grip or a CamRanger, but I know that I'm going to buy the next good pro body to come out of Canon which I expect to have 6D style functionality.